ADVERTISEMENT

RBS Job fair dress code controversy

Seems like power trip. Even though it was not spelled out clearly in the manual you should have been able to read my mind.

"in the real world, the suit was fine, but in this world, it was too (light).”

Sounds like an ivory tower academic

I graduated from the RU MBA program almost 25 years ago and I felt that the Career Development Office was the worst part of the experience with a director who was clearly on a power trip

Sad to see little has changed

I have no problem with Rutgers trying to uphold standards during their career fairs. Many years ago I used to do recruiting interviews at Rutgers other northeastern schools, and Rutgers students were consistently unprepared compared to their counterparts at other schools. Students at other schools would come to interviews dressed professionally and ready to talk about their skills and capabilities. Students at Rutgers would often be casual and act as if they had no preparation for being interviewed.

However, the solution to that is not arbitrarily enforcing poorly communicated dress codes at the door. The solution is to work with the student prior to the career fair to ensure that they know what is expected of them and are prepared. If 40 students showed up to the Career Fair and had to be turned away for dress code violations, then Rutgers needs to look in the mirror and figure out why they are doing such a poor job in preparing these students for job interviews.

I have no problem with Rutgers trying to uphold standards during their career fairs. Many years ago I used to do recruiting interviews at Rutgers other northeastern schools, and Rutgers students were consistently unprepared compared to their counterparts at other schools. Students at other schools would come to interviews dressed professionally and ready to talk about their skills and capabilities. Students at Rutgers would often be casual and act as if they had no preparation for being interviewed.

However, the solution to that is not arbitrarily enforcing poorly communicated dress codes at the door. The solution is to work with the student prior to the career fair to ensure that they know what is expected of them and are prepared. If 40 students showed up to the Career Fair and had to be turned away for dress code violations, then Rutgers needs to look in the mirror and figure out why they are doing such a poor job in preparing these students for job interviews.

Exactly- your experience indicates that RU was doing a poor job preparing students for the real world..

If students can't get jobs, the school has failed. Not sure if the answer is a mandatory career development class where people like you and other alums come in and talk about the process of getting a job, but your experience is disheartening

I have hired people from RU in the past and there are some good resources there to approach, but I'm not sure if they are the rule or the exception - they have done a good job for me

I agree that when I graduated from RU I was very unprepared for interviews. My Dad was in education, so I was clueless about consulting, travel, etc back then. Internet and Google Search not available back then. I remember dropping resumes in folders and checking if picked for an interview. Not even sure if they promoted job fairs back then. Part of it is on me ... Would be great if school had something more visible or required.

hmmmm......seems like an opportunity for a mandatory seminar on " appropriate dress code for interviews"

Reactions: jtung230
Common sense is a lost art. Dress the part, you are not going to your HS prom, you are going to a job interview.

Reactions: CJ1987
Even back in the 70s they didn't do a good job prepping us for interviews. I ended up getting my job (in Redondo Beach, CA) on a phone interview.

Reactions: letterman
I don't know. Part of me can't help but feel like this is more a fault of recruiters being out of touch. Business professional has changed now because clothing styles have changed. It's not just big, black suit with white shirt and red tie anymore. Suits are slimmer and vary in color based on the industry. As long as the person is well groomed (clean shaved, fresh haircut) and wearing a suit that fits their body style, isn't sloppy(pressed), and has dress shoes I personally see no reason to bar them from going. It's going to come down to how they present themselves when doing the introductions and maybe they felt really confident in that new slim, light blue suit. A confident interviewee is good, and now they've shot that confidence by telling them well that's nice but it's not a black suit so no deal.

“We have had many round tables and industry-faculty symposia, and developed relationships with our recruiters,” he said. “Essentially they told us that, while our students are superior academically, they did not ‘present’ themselves well ... (in) interviewing skills, corporate research and attire.”

Well, if that's the problem it should be solved by PREPPING the students in all 3 areas, not just simply mandating suit/shoe colors....

I graduated from the RU MBA program almost 25 years ago and I felt that the Career Development Office was the worst part of the experience with a director who was clearly on a power trip

This is really common sense. Full disclosure. I wear sneakers, sued shoes, and light brown dress shoes with navy suits all the time. But I would not wear that to an interview or see a new client. In a way, that person could hurt other applicants at the fair.

I have run surgery centers since 2004. I interview office staff as well as RNs, techs and housekeeping. I have seen housekeeping candidates come in their best Sunday go to church suit and tie with shoes to match, receptionists show up like they have been out dancing the night before and an Advanced practice nurse show up in sneakers, leggings and a pink fuzzy pullover.

I think there are some people who truly do not know what is "appropriate attire"

I don't know. Part of me can't help but feel like this is more a fault of recruiters being out of touch. Business professional has changed now because clothing styles have changed. It's not just big, black suit with white shirt and red tie anymore. Suits are slimmer and vary in color based on the industry. As long as the person is well groomed (clean shaved, fresh haircut) and wearing a suit that fits their body style, isn't sloppy(pressed), and has dress shoes I personally see no reason to bar them from going. It's going to come down to how they present themselves when doing the introductions and maybe they felt really confident in that new slim, light blue suit. A confident interviewee is good, and now they've shot that confidence by telling them well that's nice but it's not a black suit so no deal.
Nothing worst than an over confident fool. Business attire has changed but this is an interview. Very different IMO. The problem is magnified because a lot of RU students are 1st generation.

Reactions: Rokodesh
Nothing worst than an over confident fool. Business attire has changed but this is an interview. Very different IMO. The problem is magnified because a lot of RU students are 1st generation.
Maybe, but I've gone for interviews in NYC where they specifically say not to wear a black suit to the interview because it's not what they require on a day-to-day basis. They are more concerned with seeing how you present yourself in regular work attire. If a person presents well on the daily, then there is no reason to believe they couldn't do the same if full formal attire was needed.

Maybe, but I've gone for interviews in NYC where they specifically say not to wear a black suit to the interview because it's not what they require on a day-to-day basis. They are more concerned with seeing how you present yourself in regular work attire. If a person presents well on the daily, then there is no reason to believe they couldn't do the same if full formal attire was needed.

if they tell you not to wear a suit that's one thing. If they give no guidance then you need to expect to show up at your best: suit/tie/shiny shoes. Let them tell you to dress down on the second interview.

it sounds like the dress code was poorly written.

It should have been mentioned:
- black or dark navy blue suits. Also business gray suits will be accepted.
- white dress shirts only
- solid or business stripe / pattern tie
- shoes should be dark leather with dark socks

Then they should show examples with pics of prominent politicians / business leaders

- Obama -
161114155934-president-barack-obama-1114-super-tease.jpg

- Trump -
trump-1.png

- Buffet and Gates -
o-BILL-GATES-WARREN-BUFFETT-facebook.jpg

Barchi
rutgers-president-robert-barchijpg-e2b1e857245be1bc.jpg

Reactions: rucoe89

are neat beards and/or mustaches unacceptable? I ask because you said "clean shaved." Obviously an interviewee shouldn't have three days stubble, but isn't neat facial hair OK?

are neat beards and/or mustaches unacceptable? I ask because you said "clean shaved." Obviously an interviewee shouldn't have three days stubble, but isn't neat facial hair OK?
I consider clean shaved to be neatly maintained facial hair also. But I know some places don't like facial hair on employees so I think that comes down to the individual doing a little research on the industry and business they are trying to work at.

Last edited:

This has been my experience both as being a student and a person in a hiring capacity. As a student Rutgers did not do a very good job arranging for and preparing for the interview process. As a person in a hiring capacity Rutgers students were usually on par academically with their peers but lacked the proper guidance with formality and expectations in the interview process.

I agree that when I graduated from RU I was very unprepared for interviews. My Dad was in education, so I was clueless about consulting, travel, etc back then. Internet and Google Search not available back then. I remember dropping resumes in folders and checking if picked for an interview. Not even sure if they promoted job fairs back then. Part of it is on me ... Would be great if school had something more visible or required.
Well, my Dad was a professional musician. But I had the common sense to do a little research prepare for and dress properly for my interviews. Career Services was worthless in the late 1980's. Thankfully, we had great professors in the Ceramic Engineering Department, who had lots of business experience and contacts. That aside, what is so difficult about wearing a dark suit and tie (if you are a man), dress shoes, bringing extra resumes in a leather portfolio to the interview, and being prepared to sell yourself? The other thing I learned from someone was to be prepared with a couple of good questions for each interviewer (and not about salary and benefits). Usually, I would identify something in their office and ask them about it. Most people like to talk about themselves, and they come out of the interview thinking you are a pretty good candidate.

Common sense is a lost art. Dress the part, you are not going to your HS prom, you are going to a job interview.
Right on.

Um, there are a lot of complaints one could lob at "ivory tower academics," but slavish adherence to formal dress is definitely NOT one of them.

Reactions: RUnTeX
I still regret the suit I wore for interviews with the Big 8 (accounting not football) back in the 70's. It was the first suit that my new wife told me to toss after we were married.

I am wondering for this career fair who the employers are:

If the investment banks and top accounting firms then suits are mandatory but.. if it is Google and Facebook the recruiters themselves may be in t shirts.

Reactions: RUin2WIN
As a business school alumn I have to side with the students here. The preparation for career fairs and interviews was lacking when I was a student from 2007-2011.

If this was an issue that was identified in the early 2000s and Rutgers wanted to set a gold standard for dress and preparation then for these things then how about they set out a plan and work with the students instead of setting up arbitrary and grey rules and then turning kids away.

Now with that said I'm sure there were plenty of students who didn't use common sense and these days kids need to be coddled and hand held all the time which is a whole other issue.

Totally agree with dressing fully professional, but specifying grey suits only and turning away people wearing navy, black or pinstripes is really really stupid.

As a business school alumn I have to side with the students here. The preparation for career fairs and interviews was lacking when I was a student from 2007-2011.

If this was an issue that was identified in the early 2000s and Rutgers wanted to set a gold standard for dress and preparation then for these things then how about they set out a plan and work with the students instead of setting up arbitrary and grey rules and then turning kids away.

Now with that said I'm sure there were plenty of students who didn't use common sense and these days kids need to be coddled and hand held all the time which is a whole other issue.

It was also a problem in the late 70s (no prep for career fairs then either). I ended getting my job via a contact my EE professor had (thank you Professor Rosenthal!).....

Enforcing a professional dress code would have been okay if it had been clearly communicated. A random badly written dress code in which black is okay but navy is not, is not. Brown shoes and non-white shirts are borderline, but certainly much better than wearing a black suit. Even then, while these are business students, banning students who are wearing otherwise professional clothes is mean spirited.

Reactions: RUin2WIN
I'm certain they did not turn away anyone for wearing Navy suits. It's the blue suits or a bad shoe combo.

Just an absolutely stupid dress code policy. A black suit? Really? In all the years where I had to wear corporate dress, I never knew anyone who had a black suit.

Don't get me wrong, there should be a dress code properly communicated to the students, but it shouldn't be setting suit colors.
Career Services was worthless in the late 1980's.
Yep, I'll second that.
That aside, what is so difficult about wearing a dark suit and tie (if you are a man), dress shoes, bringing extra resumes in a leather portfolio to the interview, and being prepared to sell yourself?
This just seems like typical common sense. Dress appropriately and be prepared to give out as many copies of your resume as people want.
The other thing I learned from someone was to be prepared with a couple of good questions for each interviewer (and not about salary and benefits). Usually, I would identify something in their office and ask them about it.
And this is also great advice. Demonstrating that you took the extra time and effort to learn something about your potential employer tells them a lot about your drive.

Enforcing a professional dress code would have been okay if it had been clearly communicated. A random badly written dress code in which black is okay but navy is not, is not. Brown shoes and non-white shirts are borderline, but certainly much better than wearing a black suit. Even then, while these are business students, banning students who are wearing otherwise professional clothes is mean spirited.
And they have to take into account that these are college students here: they don't have the finances to have a professional wardrobe. While in college I owned one navy blue suit, so I guess I would not have been allowed in there either.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT