ADVERTISEMENT

Re-Ranking the 2022 Top Basketball Recruits in New Jersey

onesimus

Senior
Gold Member
Feb 12, 2007
Was having a discussion with a fan of another program about this, but was Derek Simpson underrecruited or has he just been the perfect fit at Rutgers.

We were saying that based on stats/contributions so far Derek Simpson was clearly the top player in NJ from the 2022 class over Mark Armstrong.
Armstrong has shown flashes but it feels a bit disappointing considering he was the top player in the state, and a National recruit.
Then again Nova has been a disaster of sorts this season.

What do you all think?
Simpson was incorrectly ranked/rated or he's just been a great fit at Rutgers.

For those curious the rankings were as follows.

2022 Top Basketball Recruits in New Jersey

1. Mark Armstrong - 4 Star - Villanova (Top 100 National recruit)
2. Otega Oweh - 4 Star - Oklahoma (Top 100 National recruit)
3. Denver Anglin - 4 Star - Georgetown (Top 100 National recruit)
4. Will Richardson - 3 Star - Fordham
5. Jamarques Lawrence - 3 Star - Nebraska
6. Jaquan Harris - 3 Star - Seton Hall
7. Joshua Rivera - 3 Star - Lafayette
8. Derek Simpson - 3 Star- Rutgers (Ranked 246 Nationally)

Simpson is the real deal. He only briefly played AAU ball so he didn't get too much attention. I was told right after he signed that Coach said he was the very best point guard in the state. I think that is probably accurate.

I'm in the vast minority here, but I still see Simpson as mostly potential. He makes a lot of out of control, high school type plays still because he's relying on his quickness that most likely was enough in high school. I think he's going to be a 15 point per game guy some day, but for now, he plays like an unpolished freshman.

His quickness plays in college - he gets baseline bc he’s faster than everyone. Shot selection, control / calmness and knowing how to be a floor general are all works in progress, for sure . . .

Reactions: Scarlet83
Agree with the potential. 15 points per game could be a bit lofty considering the other players this team will have on the floor next year and thereafter. How nice is that.

Reactions: Rokodesh
Agree with the potential. 15 points per game could be a bit lofty considering the other players this team will have on the floor next year and thereafter. How nice is that.
Funny. As I typed 15, I had the same thought. It would be amazing to have 4 or 5 guys all averaging 12-15.

This boards obsession with Simpson and woolfork is wild. They’ve both shown potential but are far from sure things. At the rate we’re recruiting they might not even finish their careers at Rutgers as those guys could easily take their jobs even though they’re younger.

This boards obsession with Simpson and woolfork is wild. They’ve both shown potential but are far from sure things. At the rate we’re recruiting they might not even finish their careers at Rutgers as those guys could easily take their jobs even though they’re younger.

The whole point about this thread is that recruiting rankings aren't a sure thing considering Armstrong was a National recruit with blue chip offers and is being outplayed (so far) by Derek Simpson that was ranked 246.

In fact Simpson is outplaying every single player in the NJ Top 10 at the moment.

So whereas I'm ecstatic about the level of players we're recruiting I'm reiterating that either NJ Hoops recruiting slept on him or Rutgers found a diamond in the rough.

I'm in the vast minority here, but I still see Simpson as mostly potential. He makes a lot of out of control, high school type plays still because he's relying on his quickness that most likely was enough in high school. I think he's going to be a 15 point per game guy some day, but for now, he plays like an unpolished freshman.
Mostly agree but this is not a miller situation. Kid has the tools just a matter of maturing and developing.

The way he plays now reminds me very much of when Jacob Young first got here - he looked out of control and lost. The good news is (just like JY) all the talent is there - and we all see flashes of it. He just needs to learn to slow down, see the game and make smart decisions. If I were a betting man - I would bet a lot that Simpson is going to become a major part of this program - the only question is when. My guess is next season he blossoms.

ADVERTISEMENT