ADVERTISEMENT

Really OT: surf board recommendation for 13 yr old

restartRU

Senior
Feb 20, 2005
i know nothing about surfing. My son is almost 13. He is a beginner but can catch a wave. 5'9" l30 lbs.

Any recommendation? A friend wants to buy him a board

i know nothing about surfing. My son is almost 13. He is a beginner but can catch a wave. 5'9" l30 lbs.

Any recommendation? A friend wants to buy him a board
Buying a bicycle and buying a board are things that should be done at a local shop that specializes in that activity. Where will your son be surfing, and we can recommend a shop.

Reactions: restartRU
The length of the board all depends on how well he surfs. If he is just a beginner it is easier to ride a board that is 7-8 feet. This will able him to catch the wave much earlier before the wave breaks. Once he gets really comfortable popping up into his stance and does it consistently with ease then he can go for a smaller board around 6'2-6'4 so he can start maneuvers and carving the waves. When you use a smaller board you take off when the wave is just about to break so he must stand up quick and get sideways on the face of the wave. Tell him good luck, there is nothing more fun than being out there.

Reactions: restartRU
The waves he is surfing are as important as the boards. Think of them like golf clubs. Where will he be surfing?

If you're surfing NJ beaches it's always good to have a long board as they are both easier to learn and can catch almost any size wave. Having grown up in Lavallette you quickly learn not everyday has nice big waves. They are a rarity. Long boards are very versatile.
Having said that they are heavier and old school so he won't think it's cool. (he'll learn). Like any sports equipment try to find used until he is sure its a hobby he is going to continue. New boards are very expensive.

If you're surfing NJ beaches it's always good to have a long board as they are both easier to learn and can catch almost any size wave. Having grown up in Lavallette you quickly learn not everyday has nice big waves. They are a rarity. Long boards are very versatile.
Having said that they are heavier and old school so he won't think it's cool. (he'll learn). Like any sports equipment try to find used until he is sure its a hobby he is going to continue. New boards are very expensive.
I surfed at the Ortley Ave jetty from 1972 (5 yrs old) till I was 19 in 1986. Got all my boards from O-Hut. Where did you surf in Lavallette?

I surfed at the Ortley Ave jetty from 1972 (5 yrs old) till I was 19 in 1986. Got all my boards from O-Hut. Where did you surf in Lavallette?
Same. Lived on Ortley Ave. Was the best spot around back than. Great for fishing too. We're you a year round resident?

Parents rented 2 houses from the Ciones towards route 35 and then we were on Westmont the rest of the years after. I remember going into their garage to get a board when mine was getting fixed. Mr Cione took us out on his catamaran. Really nice family.

Parents rented 2 houses from the Ciones towards route 35 and then we were on Westmont the rest of the years after. I remember going into their garage to get a board when mine was getting fixed. Mr Cione took us out on his catamaran. Really nice family.
The Cione's were across the street from us. Great family, amoung many on that block. You would be around my brother Kyle's age. Most everyone on the ocean block of Ortley all owned their homes from the late 60s. So we all grew up together every summer. Young John Cione was the best suffer of the bunch but we all pretty good at it.

What are the odds. Did you hang out with my brother Chris?
Yes. Along with the rest of the Ortley Ave hooligans! Remember you guys being on Westmont
Don't know if you remember my youngest sister Nell but her family has a house on Bay Boulevard. They live elsewhere but spend summers there and many weekends.

ADVERTISEMENT