ADVERTISEMENT

Reasonable Expectations

nyurutgers

Redshirt
Dec 26, 2020
After leaving the last two home football games in the fourth quarter, because I am getting tired of listening to the opposing teams fans moving down to field level and cheering their team, I thought about what are reasonable expectations for this football team and this coach. We are in the third year of a seven year contract. We had 3 conference wins in 2020 season, 2 in 2021 and 1 so far this season with one to play.

We play against OSU, Mich, PSU, MSU, Indiana, and Maryland. Since we have been in the BIG we have 0 wins against OSU and PSU, and 1 win against Michigan and MSU each. We are slightly more competitive against Indiana and Maryland. I believe we can be more competitive with MSU, Indiana, and, Maryland in the next 4 years. Add in three games against West teams, and three OOC each year and that is our 12 games.

We are not competitive against OSU, Mich, and PSU, so there are three losses each year. In a really good year say we beat all three OOC, all three west teams and MSU, Indiana, and Maryland. That would be a 9-3 record. I think this is the upside longshot. Conversely in a bad year we lose to OSU, Mich, and PSU; lose 2 of three to our remaining East opponents, lose 2 of 3 to our West opponents, and win 2 of our 3 OOC. that is a 4-8 record, similar to this year. An average year would be 7-5 or 6-6. I am basing this on Coach Schiano's performance in the Big East, and so far in his three years in the BIG.

Once USC and UCLA join the conference will realign. I believe the BIG will protect the OSU, Mich, and PSU trio and move either Illinois or Northwestern into the East. Our record will probably stay about the same because we will then be playing only 2 teams from the west. If Wisconsin or Iowa come into the East instead our record will suffer.
I think this is a reasonable expectation of our future performance. With the portal and NIL we will not gain any ground on OSU, Mich, and PSU or the better teams in the West, we can only hope to catch up or surpass the other three teams in the East. Feel free to comment.

Reactions: RUaMoose
After leaving the last two home football games in the fourth quarter, because I am getting tired of listening to the opposing teams fans moving down to field level and cheering their team, I thought about what are reasonable expectations for this football team and this coach. We are in the third year of a seven year contract. We had 3 conference wins in 2020 season, 2 in 2021 and 1 so far this season with one to play.

We play against OSU, Mich, PSU, MSU, Indiana, and Maryland. Since we have been in the BIG we have 0 wins against OSU and PSU, and 1 win against Michigan and MSU each. We are slightly more competitive against Indiana and Maryland. I believe we can be more competitive with MSU, Indiana, and, Maryland in the next 4 years. Add in three games against West teams, and three OOC each year and that is our 12 games.

We are not competitive against OSU, Mich, and PSU, so there are three losses each year. In a really good year say we beat all three OOC, all three west teams and MSU, Indiana, and Maryland. That would be a 9-3 record. I think this is the upside longshot. Conversely in a bad year we lose to OSU, Mich, and PSU; lose 2 of three to our remaining East opponents, lose 2 of 3 to our West opponents, and win 2 of our 3 OOC. that is a 4-8 record, similar to this year. An average year would be 7-5 or 6-6. I am basing this on Coach Schiano's performance in the Big East, and so far in his three years in the BIG.

Once USC and UCLA join the conference will realign. I believe the BIG will protect the OSU, Mich, and PSU trio and move either Illinois or Northwestern into the East. Our record will probably stay about the same because we will then be playing only 2 teams from the west. If Wisconsin or Iowa come into the East instead our record will suffer.
I think this is a reasonable expectation of our future performance. With the portal and NIL we will not gain any ground on OSU, Mich, and PSU or the better teams in the West, we can only hope to catch up or surpass the other three teams in the East. Feel free to comment.
There is no guarantee we play those 3 going forward. Chill

I regularly read posts here that say that the portal is a problem. But why is it any bigger a problem for us than for anyone else? I would think it would be the football factories that would have the biggest problem with the portal because kids who are good, but aren't good enough to be starters, are the kids most likely to want to transfer to schools where they can start.

Yes The portal and NIL excuses are only to deflect from the crappy job Schiano is doing. Schiano-deniers are just as obtuse as flat-earthers and QAnon cretins.

Hopefully by Year 8 of the rebuild and 6 more OC scapegoats he’ll do the university a favor and retire. After that I bet he’ll use some of the $32M salary he stole and pay for his own statue.

Last edited:
Reactions: jsol_05
Yes The portal and NIL excuses are only to deflect from the crappy job Schiano is doing. Schiano-deniers are just as obtuse as flat-earthers and QAnon creatins.

Hopefully by Year 8 of the rebuild and 6 more OC scapegoats he’ll do the university a favor and retire. After that I bet he’ll use some of the $32M salary he stole and pay for his own statue.

STFU Sewercuse 🐑

Yes The portal and NIL excuses are only to deflect from the crappy job Schiano is doing. Schiano-deniers are just as obtuse as flat-earthers and QAnon cretins.

beating-a-dead-horse-gif-imgur-11.gif

Reactions: Knight Shift
sct..the dead horse representing the football program under Schiano ? I don’t follow … please explain.

is a doubter any different than a denier ? I think doubters are more artful deniers merely taking a subtler tack.

I don't remember a single preseason prediction that had us winning more than 4 games. That's why the O/U on wins was 4.5.
Why is everyone so surprised/disappointed at our record? We are what we were expected to be.
Why is meeting predictions an excuse ? So you say if we are predicted to win 2 next year but win 3 the team overachieved and the season was a success ? It’s a bad team. Being predicted as such in no way exonerates them.

But It goes beyond the record:
1. Complete offensive futility
2. Lucked into Iowa and Nebraska down years and lost to both at home anyway.
3. Minnesota rout.
4. Recurring bad penalties
5. Game mgmt blunders. Is the HC even competent on game day ?

is a doubter any different than a denier ? I think doubters are more artful deniers merely taking a subtler tack.
A denier says that it didn't happen.
A doubter says it might have happened but there are too many unanswered questions for me to say it's true.

From Webster: to deny to declare (something) to be untrue
to doubt a feeling of uncertainty or lack of conviction

Nothing subtle there, big difference between the two.

Why is meeting predictions an excuse ? So you say if we are predicted to win 2 next year but win 3 the team overachieved and the season was a success ?

But It goes beyond the record:
1. Complete offensive futility
2. Lucked into Iowa and Nebraska down years and lost to both at home anyway.
3. Minnesota rout.
4. Recurring bad penalties
5. Game mgmt blunders. Is the HC even competent on game day ?
Never said it was an excuse just stating that no one expected us to be very good.
and yes if we are expected (predicted) to win only two games and win three by definition we exceeded expectations not a success but better than we thought.

Colbert…I know the difference in dictionary meaning. Notice I said ‘artful’. Look that up.

Deniers rarely own being such. How hard for a denier to hide as a doubter. Not hard.

What do deniers do ? They sow doubt.

Get my drift ?

I remember buttheads talking this smack about Greg in Schiano's first 4 years during 1.0.

Colbert…I know the difference in dictionary meaning. Notice I said ‘artful’. Look that up.

Deniers rarely own being such. How hard for a denier to hide as a doubter. Not hard.

What do deniers do ? They sow doubt.

Get my drift ?
Got it. But I do have to say that in my many years of life "artful" was never an adjective associated with me. :)

Reactions: dconifer
I don't remember a single preseason prediction that had us winning more than 4 games. That's why the O/U on wins was 4.5.
Why is everyone so surprised/disappointed at our record? We are what we were expected to be.
We got embarrassed by a team we hate.

Never said it was an excuse just stating that no one expected us to be very good.
and yes if we are expected (predicted) to win only two games and win three by definition we exceeded expectations not a success but better than we thought.
Ok so if the Titanic took longer than expected to sink, then….

You see the point ?

It’s HC’s third year. Four wins, and only one in the conference. Blowout losses. Even has the gall to schedule Wagner again to ensure at least 1 win (thx for owning your incorrect ‘once-only’ claim). Failing is failing. Low Expectations don’t change the analysis.

Last edited:
That seems to be an annual event so nothing different there.
Hopefully that changes sooner rather than later.
It’s refreshing to see the phrase ‘sooner rather than later’. To often I hear ‘sooner than later’ and it bugs me. I don’t even know if it’s proper English but it’s a big pet peeve I have.

Please just ignore the troll, which thrives on attention. It's tiresome.
Another pet peeve …. it should be “troll who thrives”. Not ‘which’ and no comma. At least you got “it’s” correct. Many here don’t. Not surprising that lack of insight and poor English go hand in hand here. And then there are also those who insist I am a Cuse and PSU fan.

The lack of intellect on this college sports forum is highly disappointing.

Last edited:
I remember buttheads talking this smack about Greg in Schiano's first 4 years during 1.0.
I forget because it was so long ago. When did BC,Miami and VT leave the Big East, and which years did 1.0 finish higher than third?

Another pet peeve …. it should be “troll who thrives”. Not ‘which’ and no comma. At least you got “it’s” correct. Many here don’t. Not surprising that lack of insight and poor English go hand in hand here. And then there are also those who insist I am a Cuse and PSU fan.

The lack of intellect on this college sports forum is highly disappointing.
There is actually room for doubt on this. A troll is a mythological animal, and "that" rather than "who" is the preference of careful stylebooks for animals, at least those without names. https://erinwrightwriting.com/refer-animals/

Reactions: thegock
Has anyone checked what a troll's preferred pronouns are????
There is actually room for doubt on this. A troll is a mythological animal, and "that" rather than "who" is the preference of careful stylebooks for animals, at least those without names. https://erinwrightwriting.com/refer-animals/
Good work ! I’ll remember that. It’s certainly a very interesting side note, but that isn’t the kind of troll cited here. Here, ‘who’ applies.

Good work ! I’ll remember that. It’s certainly a very interesting side note, but that isn’t the kind of troll cited here. Here, ‘who’ applies.
If I say that someone is a dog, do I use "who" or "that?" If it were a real dog, then it's "that." Does it matter if "dog" is just metaphorical? I don't know. All I'm saying is to be careful in correcting others, because it's often hard to know what is really correct -- and it's even harder at present when there is little uniformity in usage.

The problem is the O/U will probably be the same in 23, 24 and 25. Also just because the O/u is 4-5 doesn’t mean we hav to meet that expectation, Illinois and Kansas probably had the same O/U

Reactions: colbert17

I just can't envision any more than four B1G wins from GS. Indiana, Maryland plus perhaps MSU and/or a west win or two. I peg his ceiling at 7 overall wins and that would be an exceptional year.

Reactions: Freddy Stubbs
ADVERTISEMENT