ADVERTISEMENT

Rebounding

Indiana has played, among others: Kansas, UNC, Butler, Louisville, Wisconsin, Maryland. Rutgers was the first team to out rebound them this season. That's pretty impressive.

At least there's that. ;)

Indiana has played, among others: Kansas, UNC, Butler, Louisville, Wisconsin, Maryland. Rutgers was the first team to out rebound them this season. That's pretty impressive.
What good is getting rebounds if the offense is unable to score?.Rebounding is a important part of winning because it gives teams possessions of the ball but to have positive impact scoring must happen afterwards.

Reactions: bac2therac
In B1G play only...
3rd in OREB @ 36.1%
8th in DREB @ 32.0% (which means we get 68% of our opponents misses)

2016 B1G play (not totally fair because of injuries)
13th in OREB @ 22.1%
14th in DREB @ 38.6%

2015 B1G play
7th in OREB @ 30.8%
7th in DREB @ 30.7% (Etou was a very good DREBer)

To be honest, you have to look at rebounding in the grand scheme of how the game is played.

If you make more shots, you get less rebounds.

If you make less shots, you get more rebounds.

Indiana won by more than 15, and made more shots. Rutgers misses a ton of shots. Obviously Rutgers would have more rebounds.

Reactions: bac2therac
We were one of the worst defensive and rebounding teams in the country last year. This year we are one of the best in the B1G.

I give a ton of credit to Pikiell,staff, and the team.

It is a game,though. Best defensive, great stuff. Rebounding though, there are reasons for that. And a lot of them have to do with the other teams putting the brown thing in the round thing, and us not.

Rutgers misses a ton of shots, increasing the number of defensive rebounds for the opponent yet Rutgers still managed to out rebound Indiana. And Rutgers has missed a lot of shots the last couple years too.

To be honest, you have to look at rebounding in the grand scheme of how the game is played.

Indiana won by more than 15, and made more shots. Rutgers misses a ton of shots. Obviously Rutgers would have more rebounds.

Rutgers misses a ton of shots, increasing the number of defensive rebounds for the opponent yet Rutgers still managed to out rebound Indiana. And Rutgers has missed a lot of shots the last couple years too.

Very true. As far as offensive rebounds, wouldnt Indiana have less opportunities if they made more shots?And like you said, more opportunities for Rutgers for offensive rebounds if they hit less shots?

IMHO - Rebounding is the main reason we are beating the lower level teams this year. If we can maintain this level of rebounding and improve the teams/player quality, we will improve exponentially.

you have it backwards....if you miss a lot of shots the opposition gets more REBs. now if you end every possession with a turnover.....

Reactions: Scangg
I give a ton of credit to Pikiell,staff, and the team.

It is a game,though. Best defensive, great stuff. Rebounding though, there are reasons for that. And a lot of them have to do with the other teams putting the brown thing in the round thing, and us not.

my stats (actually kenpoms) looks at % of misses that are rebounded by the offense and defense and NOT the raw amount rebounded.

There is no denying the improvement in rebounding (especially offensive rebounding)

my stats (actually kenpoms) looks at % of misses that are rebounded by the offense and defense and NOT the raw amount rebounded.

There is no denying the improvement in rebounding (especially offensive rebounding)

Not saying there isnt improvement, as there definitely is. I am just saying, you have to look at the whole game. Whoever shoots worse will probably have an opportunity at more rebounds.

Last edited:
Not saying there isnt improvement, as there definitely is. I am just saying, you have to look at the whole game. Whoever shoots worse will probably have an opportunity at more rebounds.
No matter how many times I read this, I don't get it. Whenever a shot is missed, both teams get a chance at a rebound, not just the shooting team. And more often than not it's the non-shooting team that gets a rebound. On the other hand, playing better D, as we have done for the most part, will increase misses by the other team and likely increase your own rebounds.

Then again, I'm not sure why we're having this discussion. None of it really undermines the fact that better rebounding has helped RU, as has better D.

I think it is the opposite since the defensive team get more rebounds than the offensive team.

Nobody should be denying the improvement in rebounding but that needs to be viewed in the total context of a basketball game.Rutgers is losing league games by double digits because they are having great difficulty even scoring 60 points per game.The number of successive league losses is mounting and at the end of the year very few fans will care how well Rutgers rebounded the ball.Winning matters in sports and is a essential part of recruiting top tier talent that can score.

Very true. As far as offensive rebounds, wouldnt Indiana have less opportunities if they made more shots?And like you said, more opportunities for Rutgers for offensive rebounds if they hit less shots?

yes more misses on O gives more opportunities for O rebounds, and would explain improved numbers in that area, I'm just not sure Rutgers has missed more or less than the last couple of years. the number that would be most important would be the percentage of misses Rutgers grabs. IMO

Reactions: higgins3
. . . Rutgers is losing league games by double digits because they . . . .
. . . have improved.

If they had not, you'd have written, "Rutgers is losing league games in double digits, some by as many as 40, 50, 60 points, because they . . . ."

No matter how many times I read this, I don't get it. Whenever a shot is missed, both teams get a chance at a rebound, not just the shooting team. And more often than not it's the non-shooting team that gets a rebound. On the other hand, playing better D, as we have done for the most part, will increase misses by the other team and likely increase your own rebounds.

Then again, I'm not sure why we're having this discussion. None of it really undermines the fact that better rebounding has helped RU, as has better D.

I am not trying to undermine that fact and stated it. The team has improved, and we are all happy about that.Pikiell is doing a great job at teaching rebounding and defense. Yes.

I am trying to compare offense to offense. Other teams score more, less shots have the option of being rebounded. If the team that shoots, and scores less, you would think that team had more chances, seeing the ball will be coming out for a rebound more often.I could be wrong. Thinking about it just makes sense.

Props to Pikiell. I am enjoying this season. I do think more wins need to accumulate if the team wants to get to the level I am sure they want to get to. If I was a recruit though, I would believe in his vision.

When you inherit a 7-25 team you inherit a team with flaws. The idea Coach P could come in and make us a very good defensive team AND a very good offensive team is silly.

Last year we stunk at both ends of the court. Now, we certainly were crippled by injury, but we were not very good at anything. This year we are a very good rebounding team and a good defensive team. I'm pleasantly surprised by our play on that end of the floor. There isn't a player on this team who doesn't "bust it" on defense. Even under Coach Rice we had guys like Seagears and Eli who would take their breaks on the defensive end. (In my opinion)That's what you want to see from a new staff.

And to my point in the OP: here are the teams that outrebounded Indiana this year: Rutgers. Here is a (partial) list of teams that did not outrebound Indiana this year: UNC, Kansas, Louisville, Wisconsin, Maryland.

Reactions: higgins3
I still believe we are a full year ahead of the progress we would expect in Year one....I don't see any reason why we would expect the defensive numbers to be worse in Year two vs Year one....

There are a lot of positives to being 11-8 overall vs 8-11 overall right now....Sure we would like to have a league win under our belts and another 5-7 PPG offensively, but there really isn't a lot to overly expect from a bunch of newcomers all meshed together in less than a year...

On the surface, it's always going to be a talent issue at RU vs the overwhelming majority of the B1G....there is an assumption that with a significant increase in talent on offense, that that same player will commit to defense....We would be 7-12 without Gettys and a commitment to defense by everyone, so while we are lamenting the lack of talent, things could be significantly worse right now.

The recruiting aspect that a lot of people are complaining about, will get fixed....that doesn't mean we land can expect to land three 4* kids and 5*'s like Naz Reid in Year one of 2018 recruiting, but there is at least a conversation being had with a lot of pretty good prospects that never considered RU before. It's sounds like all talk, but the staff is really out and about, reviewing and looking at the right targets that can fit the culture of what it would take to compete in the conference and help.

It takes a lot to get first to a .500 program to then a 17-18 win level....finding another win or two in conference takes a couple of years of experience and talent, to make a jump up like Minnesota or what Northwestern is attempting to do, in a down year at the Top of the B1G....the issue is the bottom of the league is much closer to the lower ceiling of the top of the league.

The B1G and ACC specifically, along with most of the Power 5 conferences are as balanced as ever, top to bottom...There are really no easy outs that RU could find a win in, like the old Big East where you could get a South Florida, DePaul or get a St. Johns or Seton Hall in a down year....there is no Providence type program not doing well in the conference....

The best RU team in almost a decade, still revolves around the only team that had a true small forward and that was Jonathan Mitchell after he transferred in from Florida....the Mike Rice first year, had Mitchell with the ability to make a dribble, knock down a jumper and play sound defense....This current roster with a modest player and not elite superstar at SF like a Mitchell, would be 2-3 wins better right now....

This roster needs a legitimate 3 man with some shooting range....it's the missing piece to connect the backcourt to the front court...

We couldn't hit the broad side of a barn, but we sure can get the rock when it rebounds back before the other guys.

The defense way ahead of expectations. 62nd in the country in defensive efficiency is beyond outstanding given last year.

Offensively we have been a disaster. It would be easy and convenient to put full blame on the players. I am not certain the coaching staff isn't partial to blame. I'd allocate most to players, but am starting to think some is on coaching staff.

We were one of the worst defensive and rebounding teams in the country last year. This year we are one of the best in the B1G.

we are better for sure but lets see the stats when the season is over, alot of those stats are padded with cupcakes, RU will likely not be among the top 5 in league when all is said and done

I know we are trying to find positives in a season that could end 0-18 but the rebounding stats become almost meaningless when you consider we could be headed toward another O fer

Last edited:
Nebby is very good on the road this year. if they shoot like they normally do, we lose by 16.....remember last year everyone thought we had a chance, I left at halftime down 28 or some absurd number like that

ADVERTISEMENT