ADVERTISEMENT

Recent Commits

But we are in the B1G now with much better resources. Much better asst coaching staff (tied to comp). If you are going to be one of the guys crying because we haven't won conference titles but consistently go to bowls and play entertaining football against elite competition, and want him fired like last time around, beware of what that got us.
If that happens now it will be the equivalent of winning the Big East.

We can get a NYD bowl game without even coming close to winning the B1G.

And when that happens it will be huge...it will be seen around here as if we did win the B1G.

The current goal should be 70% 3*, 20% 4* and 10% 2*. 27% 2* is too much but Salaam looks damn good, Taylor is a long snapper, Hamilton is raw but has a wrestling background and nice size, Dean might be the biggest stretch but if we are taking him now he must be decent. Hopefully we are more selective with diminishing ships and snag a few 4*.

By now you should realize that everything related to RU football is going to be challenging. It was a huge challenge to take us from Shea to where we were by 2005 with little support. Then the guys who wanted him fired in 2004 started with the "where are the championships" rant. They will come again soon enough and you are likely to be among them judging by your post.
I said I like the staff and look forward to the challenges. Whats wrong with that? Can't be optimistic and concerned at the same time? Nothing wrong with talking about the challenges we face. When we do succeed it would be nice to look back at the obstacles we faced. Makes us appreciate it even more.

I don't think our best years were with a watered down BE...During most of the 05-09 years, WVU and L'Ville made up for the loss of Mia and VaTech and then Cincy had some very good teams as did Shit, hate to say it, UConn and you had Pitt. During those years, we had great showings in bowl games and many were saying that the BE actually compared close to the BIG Ten and better than ACC.
His class of 05 that was mostly 2 star kids and was very low ranked, played some of the best football we have ever seen on the Banks.
Good points.

Reactions: yesrutgers01
You saying this like I dont think Greg can do it lol. Just because its going to be more challenging doesnt mean I dont think it can happen.That's a great blue print. Im hoping it goes as plan.
Never said that but I believe many Rutgers faithful are glad Schiano is back On The Banks.What school did you say you follow?

Never said that but I believe many Rutgers faithful are glad Schiano is back On The Banks.What school did you say you follow?
We are all happy. Its been a miserable 4 years. I follow Rutgers and Patriots. What team you follow?

I know that I'll get chewed up and spit out for this, but someone has to say it, and I would never dishonor a kid in his commitment thread, so I made a separate thread.
When Ash was here, he got absolutely killed on this board for winning recruits over schools like Akron, Miami (OH), the sevice academies, and the Ivies. Now that Schiano is doing the same thing, I see almost exclusively "Great get" type comments in the threads. Now, maybe everyone in these threads has a better eye for talent than I do and they can see a difference. But looking strictly at offer lists (Only because that's what you all did with Ash), I see no difference at all between his recruits and several of Schiano's. Can someone set me straight?
Because Schiano is the coach and for no other reason that instantly give all the recruits an extra star... In all seriousness I was one of the few who was anti hiring back schiano bc I didn't believe he had any cache outside of rutgers circles but I'm going to give him time to see. I don't have the blind faith that many do though, if greg was as great as some would lead you to believe someone would've hired him as a HC before us considering he's been available since 2014, then the blind will say something absurd about how rutgers and new jersey is different and only greg understands or whatever else. I still maintain we should have hired Mike houston.

To answer your question directly though, the answer is faith in Greg. There's literally not another logical answer

Last edited:
I agree with everything you said but also keep in mind that he did that in a water down big east. Not going to get everyone in NJ so we do have to take chances on kids like this. Low risk, high reward type players.
A lot of those kids went to the NFL. The quality of the BE has nothing to do with the quality of individual players.

Reactions: -RUFAN4LIFE-
A lot of those kids went to the NFL. The quality of the BE has nothing to do with the quality of individual players.
And that’s just it.

Individuals don’t win championships. Teams do.

But in my book a NYD bowl would be the equivalent of one. Do that and it has been a success.

So as I said in the beginning of this thread (actually 2x now)...let’s see. Give him time.

And that’s just it.

But in my book a NYD bowl would be the equivalent of one. Do that and it has been a success.

So as I said in the beginning of this thread (actually 2x now)...let’s see. Give him time.

Agreed. RU (especially Coach Schiano) has done quite well at this:

18 Current RU players in the NFL:

Bless Austin (1 offers)

Michael Burton (Walk on)

Anthony Cioffi (RU was only offer)

Saquan Hampton (RU was only offer)

Sebastian Joseph-Day (2 P5 offers)

Jason McCourty (2 Major Offers)

Devin McCourty (1 Offer)

Willington Previlon (1 Offer)

Kemoko Turay (1 P5 Offer)

Reactions: redking
Agreed. RU (especially Coach Schiano) has done quite well at this:

18 Current RU players in the NFL:

Bless Austin (1 offers)

Michael Burton (Walk on)

Anthony Cioffi (RU was only offer)

Saquan Hampton (RU was only offer)

Sebastian Joseph-Day (2 P5 offers)

Jason McCourty (2 Major Offers)

Devin McCourty (1 Offer)

Willington Previlon (1 Offer)

Kemoko Turay (1 P5 Offer)
We need more of that but more at the same time.

Saturday results > Sunday performance

Last edited:
Reactions: Knightmoves
Because Schiano is the coach and for no other reason that instantly give all the recruits an extra star... In all seriousness I was one of the few who was anti hiring back schiano bc I didn't believe he had any cache outside of rutgers circles but I'm going to give him time to see. I don't have the blind faith that many do though, if greg was as great as some would lead you to believe someone would've hired him as a HC before us considering he's been available since 2014, then the blind will say something absurd about how rutgers and new jersey is different and only greg understands or whatever else. I still maintain we should have hired Mike houston.

To answer your question directly though, the answer is faith in Greg. There's literally not another logical answer

The faith in Greg isn't blind though. One thing I think the Pro-Greg and the anti-Greg crowd agree upon is one of Greg's greatest strengths is his recognition and development of talent.

When someone with that skillset is signing guys early it SHOULD be exciting.

The faith in Greg isn't blind though. One thing I think the Pro-Greg and the anti-Greg crowd agree upon is one of Greg's greatest strengths is his recognition and development of talent.

There is an anti-Greg crowd here?

This is from a reasonably objective observer - I am an RU football and wrestling season ticket holder, though I did not attend RU. My seat at the games is darn good, and I’ve already paid for the 2020 season, God willing we have it. From what I observed, some of RUs issues were talent, mainly on the lines and at Wr and QB. But some was coaching - especially your safeties. Clearly they weren’t stop-watch slow - but they played/reacted slow. Here is where Coach Schiano will improve the team a lot - he sees “football speed” - how fast a player PLAYS! He recruits for performance, not who looks the part stepping off the team bus.

just as importantly - he knows that it will be rare that he wins recruiting battles vs the blue-bloods like Ohio State. Heck, my PSU Nittany Lions don’t often win those. He will win a few though, and he looks at a recruit like a coach, not an “evaluator”. He projects future performance. RU is going to be more physical, play/react faster, and win more under him. Maybe not in 2020, year 1 of his reign, but it will happen. Just show some patience.

As I’ve said to Mr. Hobbs during several conversations at the RAC, the Rutgers Club, and at Nationals in the SK suite (Coach Goodale, too!), I want RU to have the second best Athletic Dept in the Big Ten. Looking forward to the improvement and RU beating UM and O$U sometime soon (but not PSU).

See you on Sep 5th - and go RU, except on Nov 28th.

Thats not why I mentioned the conference. Greg is great at developing guys into NFL players. Im just hoping he cant develop more now that we are competing in a tougher division, 2nd toughest in football. Do you really think the Big East is comparable to Big10 East?

I agree but with that NFL talent we didnt win many conference titles. I mentioned it because we are competing in the tougher division vs coaches that are just as competent.
So our kids that we
And that’s just it.

We are talking about the quality of some of the GS under recruited kids that went to the NFL. The point being, GS has a good track record. It wasn't our under recruited kids that went to the NFL that prevented us from winning championships.
Thats not why I mentioned the conference. Greg is great at developing guys into NFL players. Im just hoping he cant develop more now that we are competing in a tougher division, 2nd toughest in football. Do you really think the Big East is comparable to Big10 East?
I never said it was or anything remotely like that. I was saying that if a kid is good enough for the NFL, he is good enough for the BE or the Big 10.

Some here are reframing my argument in a way that wasn't intended I am specifically talking about recruits who have few or no Power 5 offers, yet people give them a pass because it's GS. I know the class, as a whole, is better. That wasn't my point. Why is there no outcry when we beat Akrom ,William and Mary, or Army for kids this year? That's all I'm asking.

Which recruits are you talking about in particular out of all the commits?

The current goal should be 70% 3*, 20% 4* and 10% 2*. 27% 2* is too much but Salaam looks damn good, Taylor is a long snapper, Hamilton is raw but has a wrestling background and nice size, Dean might be the biggest stretch but if we are taking him now he must be decent. Hopefully we are more selective with diminishing ships and snag a few 4*.
I want 10-15% NFL potential, 20-30% All B1G(1st/2nd team) potential, 50% starter potential, 75% 2nd team/depth chart contributors and the rest can be projects.

Reactions: Knightmoves
I know that I'll get chewed up and spit out for this, but someone has to say it, and I would never dishonor a kid in his commitment thread, so I made a separate thread.
When Ash was here, he got absolutely killed on this board for winning recruits over schools like Akron, Miami (OH), the sevice academies, and the Ivies. Now that Schiano is doing the same thing, I see almost exclusively "Great get" type comments in the threads. Now, maybe everyone in these threads has a better eye for talent than I do and they can see a difference. But looking strictly at offer lists (Only because that's what you all did with Ash), I see no difference at all between his recruits and several of Schiano's. Can someone set me straight?

I'm not sure what you are looking at but I see a handful with offers from service academies and schools like Maimi (OH) but majority have at least 1 other P5 offer and with the transfers coming in, it's a night and day difference with Ash when comparing classes.

So our kids that we

We are talking about the quality of some of the GS under recruited kids that went to the NFL. The point being, GS has a good track record. It wasn't our under recruited kids that went to the NFL that prevented us from winning championships.

I never said it was or anything remotely like that. I was saying that if a kid is good enough for the NFL, he is good enough for the BE or the Big 10.
Im saying we need MORE of them to WIN the division or consistently be good in it. Thats all Im saying. Nothing more or less than that.

It is absolutely blind faith. Love in my heart, Greg has done nothing whatsoever since 2012 to warrant a HC job. He was a disaster in tampa, caused a riot in tennesee, and ohio state's defense statistically got better once he left. Literally the ONLY thing greg has going for him is we have fallen so far and our fans are grasping to 2006 and the image of greg. If Greg was as great as some would lead you to believe, someone else would have hired him as a HC considering he's been available since 2014.

I'll be the first to admit if I'm wrong

There is an anti-Greg crowd here?
Actually yes, I wouldn't say I'm anti Greg bc he is our coach and I support my school. But prior to his rehire yes I was screaming from the rooftops that bringing back greg would be a disaster for rutgers. I also always offered who I believed to be the best coaching choice which was Mike Houston. I still stand behind this today and time will tell if I was right. I can bore you with the details on why Greg was a bad hire if you want but I've said it so many times I don't have the effort right now

It is absolutely blind faith. Love in my heart, Greg has done nothing whatsoever since 2012 to warrant a HC job. He was a disaster in tampa, caused a riot in tennesee, and ohio state's defense statistically got better once he left. Literally the ONLY thing greg has going for him is we have fallen so far and our fans are grasping to 2006 and the image of greg. If Greg was as great as some would lead you to believe, someone else would have hired him as a HC considering he's been available since 2014.

You will be wrong.

Reactions: patk89

There's a GIGANTIC difference- Schiano was a successful D1A HC before (at Rutgers to boot) and became an NFL HC based off that success; Ash came in talking about a championship culture, us not being up to B1G standards, got a decent amount of financial support and then proceeded to have us recruit like a NJAC program while getting CLOBBERED by 3-9 teams like Kansas 3 seasons in.

Schiano built up a decent amount of collateral; Ash did not.

Joe P.

Last edited:

Im saying we need MORE of them to WIN the division or consistently be good in it. Thats all Im saying. Nothing more or less than that.
Me too.

Said it more than once in the thread.

The cool thing about being in the B1G is even if we’re just “consistently good” that can still mean a NYD bowl game...which would be HUGE for the Program.

Reactions: gtbb3115
There's a GIGANTIC difference- Schiano was a successful D1A HC before (at Rutgers to boot) and became an NFL HC based off that success; Ash came in talking about a championship culture, us not being up to B1G standards, got a decent amount of financial support and then proceeded to have us recruit like a NJAC program while getting CLOBBERED by 3-9 teams like Kansas 3 seasons in.

Schiano built up a decent amount of collateral; Ash did not.

Joe P.
:ThumbsUp:ThumbsUp:ThumbsUp

The people who refuse to listen to you are the ones who leave this type of information out because it goes against their agenda.

Reactions: JoeRU0304
:ThumbsUp:ThumbsUp:ThumbsUp

The people who refuse to listen to you are the ones who leave this type of information out because it goes against their agenda.

The initial question could be a fair one but I thought the answer was pretty obvious. It's the same reasons why banks would give Mark Cuban a loan but not the CEO of Blockbuster.

Joe P.

Schiano didn't 'cause a riot' in Tennessee; their blowhard fans did...and while Schiano's stint with Tampa ultimately didn't work, why do you constantly paint him as Kotite with the Jets? *That* was a "disaster".

Joe P.

Reactions: patk89
Schiano didn't 'cause a riot' in Tennessee; their blowhard fans did...and while Schiano's stint with Tampa ultimately didn't work, why do you constantly paint him as Kotite with the Jets? *That* was a "disaster".

Joe P.
Now, they are trying to get you to play in the sewer. This is a fight they can't win because they don't have sound arguments to back their position. So, the next best thing is to muddy the name of Schiano at all costs by distorting facts.

Step away. Don't get yourself worked up for nothing.:Laughing

Reactions: scottsdaleal
Now, they are trying to get you to play in the sewer. This is a fight they can't win because they don't have sound arguments to back their position. So, the next best thing is to muddy the name of Schiano at all costs by distorting facts.

Step away. Don't get yourself worked up for nothing.:Laughing

I actually took a look at Tampa Bay's season records over the last 10 years; last season's 7-9 record was only the 4th time they hit 7 or more wins over the past decade; Schiano also had one of those 4 seasons. He wasn't a success but the narrative that he was a 'disaster' is just dumb, especially when you look at Tampa's records before and after Schiano's stint. Heck, Rob Marinelli won 10 games over 3 years with the Lions, including a 0-16 season. THAT's a "disaster". Rich Petibone taking the Redskins, 2 years removed from a Super Bowl title and one year removed from a Divisional playoff appearance, to a 3-13 season, THAT's a "disaster". Mike Locksley at New Mexico- THAT's a "disaster".

...and @cubuffsdoug, I hear you. I have no problem with someone thinking another HC could have been a better candidate, but IMO there's no need to try and low-key trash Schiano unless there's some ulterior motive.

Joe P.

Last edited:
Reactions: ecojew
Now back to the OP and the recent recruits. Now that Desmond Ig..... has committed, based upon recent weeks on the home page of this website, our next commit will be Gus Zillinskas from Colorado. Coming out of nowhere, he just appeared on the home page tonight following Desmond's commit. And he occupies the first position. I know nothing about him except that his offers are mostly from non-P5 schools in the FBS with many from FCS schools as well. The only P5 offers are from Colorado and Wisconsin, as well as RU. He hasn't yet been given any stars.

So we'll have to see if this follows the pattern of the past two weeks or so.

Ash had a really good class going before his team set foot on the field. Had this site's 3, 4, 7, 8, 12, 13, 18, 24, 25, 26, 27, 29, and 30 in NJ all verbally committed in the summer along with Maryland's number 7. He had a heck of a first year bump before his staff's abilities got exposed.

that’s the case with so many things - momentum lasts as long as you allow it to. Results contribute quite a lot to the equation

the goal should be to recruit as many good players as possible that understand exactly what your goals are.
It’s good that schiano is telling these guys the truth about what stage of the program we are in. He is telling them that they are going to be the heart that starts the whole championship run - and they want the challenge - These 1st year guys are probably the most important class if we want this thing to work.

The fact that they are understanding what he’s

Stars smars. He is building a team how he sees fit . I expect good things like the first time around . But don’t worry he will be judged like any other football coach : his record

Now back to the OP and the recent recruits. Now that Desmond Ig..... has committed, based upon recent weeks on the home page of this website, our next commit will be Gus Zillinskas from Colorado. Coming out of nowhere, he just appeared on the home page tonight following Desmond's commit. And he occupies the first position. I know nothing about him except that his offers are mostly from non-P5 schools in the FBS with many from FCS schools as well. The only P5 offers are from Colorado and Wisconsin, as well as RU. He hasn't yet been given any stars.

So we'll have to see if this follows the pattern of the past two weeks or so.

Jordan Thompson and a few other earlier recruits didn't have any stars yet when they committed. Jordan wound up as a 5.7 3* and several of the others like Toth, Fox & Hughes as 5.6 3* recruits.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT