ADVERTISEMENT

Recent Commits

Actually yes, I wouldn't say I'm anti Greg bc he is our coach and I support my school. But prior to his rehire yes I was screaming from the rooftops that bringing back greg would be a disaster for rutgers. I also always offered who I believed to be the best coaching choice which was Mike Houston. I still stand behind this today and time will tell if I was right. I can bore you with the details on why Greg was a bad hire if you want but I've said it so many times I don't have the effort right now

The early results even with a Pandemic going on, says your wrong. Let's just judge him by the results so far: Coaching hires esp OC, Recruiting, Impact transfers - all this on a short time. Can you imagine when the team shows improvement this coming year what recruiting will be like next year? Homerun hire in my opinion, RU hit it out of the park! Results so far speak for themselves.

Reactions: patk89
There's a GIGANTIC difference- Schiano was a successful D1A HC before (at Rutgers to boot) and became an NFL HC based off that success; Ash came in talking about a championship culture, us not being up to B1G standards, got a decent amount of financial support and then proceeded to have us recruit like a NJAC program while getting CLOBBERED by 3-9 teams like Kansas 3 seasons in.

Schiano built up a decent amount of collateral; Ash did not.

Joe P.
I have a lot of opinion and feelings on this entire subject and can also say that I have swayed a bit on my thoughts over the past year or so.
And it is something I would also have no qualms sharing with the man himself and this is pretty much the same thing as he knows who I am on this board anyway and I have had communication with him since the hire.
My thoughts is the Greg did something that was almost impossible to do and may have been the one man that would stick with it, bull his way through it and make it work. At the time of him moving to the NFL. I thought good for him and great timing for us. I had thought he built the brand but may have hit his ceiling here. My personal opinion was that he had many flaws, one of them, not delegating enough and always had to be the smartest man in the room. That worked well in building the impossible here but did not work well to get to the next level. I never thought he would be successful in the NFL and knew players at Tampa that just hated it from day one. He was not successful but not anywhere near Kotite or the moron the Giants have had.
Fast forward- we all know what happened here. And for the first many years and even after Flood was gone, I always felt our next coach would be someone else and someone that had been to or near the top before.
After Ash's 2nd year and he had obviously burnt everything down and was a horrible HC as well. We find ourselves as the worst P5 program in the land. The freaking worst. I no longer felt a top HC or even a good one would take this job and started to lean toward a reunion with Schiano. As he has done it HERE before. At least get us to respectability. And then we can start dreaming again.
So, here we are with GS...I am all aboard. I am hoping he has grown and learned.That even includes recruiting as I always felt that while he may have been the best we have had here, it did not rival the top 30+ HC's out there.
Well, here he is and I see he has grown, he has recognized his weaknesses. I have personally seen the growth that he was forthright enough to take the time to share directly. Just that alone, I see he will be different and even better. He does carry NJ weight and I feel the difference around the state as we talk College football again. Rutgers Hats are again worn with hope and pride.
HS players and coaches may still flock to the blue bloods but they are starting to watch and listen. We need to see some wins now and if we do, we will see things turn very quickly. IF we get to be respectable over the next 2 years, mark my words that we will be top 20-25 in recruiting in Greg's 3rd recruiting cycle.

It is absolutely blind faith. Love in my heart, Greg has done nothing whatsoever since 2012 to warrant a HC job. He was a disaster in tampa, caused a riot in tennesee, and ohio state's defense statistically got better once he left. Literally the ONLY thing greg has going for him is we have fallen so far and our fans are grasping to 2006 and the image of greg. If Greg was as great as some would lead you to believe, someone else would have hired him as a HC considering he's been available since 2014.

I'll be the first to admit if I'm wrong

This is a real loser type of comment. Were you pleased when he left? Because you were dead wrong on that one buddy. Just admit that now and demonstrate your bias. Piss and moan at the Stadium when we have a tough loss. "I'm not booing the players, just the coach" type?

Reactions: hoquat63
There's a GIGANTIC difference- Schiano was a successful D1A HC before (at Rutgers to boot) and became an NFL HC based off that success; Ash came in talking about a championship culture, us not being up to B1G standards, got a decent amount of financial support and then proceeded to have us recruit like a NJAC program while getting CLOBBERED by 3-9 teams like Kansas 3 seasons in.

Schiano built up a decent amount of collateral; Ash did not.

Joe P.
But Ash wasn't wrong. We arent up to B1G standards. Why do you think the Schiano negotiation took so long.

But Ash wasn't wrong. We arent up to B1G standards. Why do you think the Schiano negotiation took so long.

He wasn't wrong, but he wasn't up to B1G HC standards either and we regressed exponentially over the last 2 years.

Joe P.

Reactions: ruready07
He wasn't wrong, but he wasn't up to B1G HC standards either and we regressed exponentially over the last 2 years.

Joe P.
Also, purely out of curiousity, why do you sign your posts? You have a username for everyone to see, we can tell who you are.

Also, purely out of curiousity, why do you sign your posts? You have a username for everyone to see, we can tell who you are.

It started years back (2004 or 2005) on another sports board I posted on. There were a couple of people named Joe and these two posters (one of them being a Joe) had some sort of beef with one another. The other guy thought it was me and for a few days he would basically 'stalk' my posts and respond with some sort of insult/comment. I ignored it at first (figured it was some sort of mistaken identity because I had no idea what the guy was talking about) but after a few posts I finally said something like, 'what the hell is your problem?'; he came back with 'don't try to act like you don't know'. I told him I had no clue who he was and then another poster says something like, 'that's Joe P.; he's not the Joe you're thinking of'. The guy quickly realized what happened and apologized...from there I started 'signing' my posts as 'Joe P.' and it just stuck/ became force of habit. Also, on this board there is another 'JoeRU' (who is no problem at all) so it helps differentiate us.

Joe P.

Now high 3-star (5.7) DE Ryan Keeler from Illinois has moved to the first position on the home page. He has an amazing list of offers including most of the B1G, several B12 schools, Arizona, BC, and others.

Hopefully this signifies some imminent activity related to his commitment. He's been one of the ten recruits shown on the home page for awhile now but something evidently happened to cause Rivals to move him up.

That's fair. I wouldn't use that point to knock him though, because he was correct.

I probably didn't frame that accurately. I wasn't criticizing him for saying that; I was trying provide context as to why people may be more forgiving towards Schiano's under-the-radar recruits compared to Ash. If someone's house is a mess and they hire someone to come help clean it up, they'd probably not have much of a problem with that person stating it's a mess...but if they say it's a mess and then proceed to track dog crap all over the living room, break a ceiling fan and destroy the dining room table, the homeowner is likely going to be upset.

Joe P.

Now high 3-star (5.7) DE Ryan Keeler from Illinois has moved to the first position on the home page. He has an amazing list of offers including most of the B1G, several B12 schools, Arizona, BC, and others.

Hopefully this signifies some imminent activity related to his commitment. He's been one of the ten recruits shown on the home page for awhile now but something evidently happened to cause Rivals to move him up.

I think it signifies future cast activity more than anything as someone (non-TKR staff) put an RU future cast in for him today.

This is a real loser type of comment. Were you pleased when he left? Because you were dead wrong on that one buddy. Just admit that now and demonstrate your bias. Piss and moan at the Stadium when we have a tough loss. "I'm not booing the players, just the coach" type?
Was I pleased when he left? no because of how it went down and our administration's lack of a backup plan but I didn't think at the time it was the kind of blow that some did. We completely dropped the ball with the next two hires and I'm sorry but football is a what have you done for me lately business and what has Greg done since 2012 to warrant a HC job?

Listen I'm gonna give him time and not going to bash him until I see the on the field product, the question was asked though if there was an anti Schiano crowd and I simply responded that yes I didn't like the hire and thought we should have hired Mike Houston. I never bashed greg without offering the alternative who I thought was the better choice

i can't see how anyone could argue that our last few commits aren't Ash caliber RECRUITS. Doesn't meant they will be Ash caliber players, but we aren't recruiting at an unusually high level for our program in any way, shape or form. The new guy from Colorado has mostly FCS offers a few G5 offers.

Reactions: Plum Street
i can't see how anyone could argue that our last few commits aren't Ash caliber RECRUITS. Doesn't meant they will be Ash caliber players, but we aren't recruiting at an unusually high level for our program in any way, shape or form. The new guy from Colorado has mostly FCS offers a few G5 offers.
I don't disagree to a point. I cant comment on any individual player but the overall results have been pretty much the same as where we have been for a few years now. My gut tells me some of these kids are better than their ratings but with a chance of no football this fall, we may not ever know if they would have made a jump in their senior season ranking. And if there is no college football- it is very hard for GS to prove the program has improved, so in some cases, he is feeling the hangover of Ash.

It called player development. Something Ash couldn't do and Schiano can. examples: McCourty twins (2*) had 3 power 5 offers between them. Also, you recruit to your style and not rankings. Rankings are for fans and when you start to understand that, it will start to make more sense to you.

Reactions: -RUFAN4LIFE-
It started years back (2004 or 2005) on another sports board I posted on. There were a couple of people named Joe and these two posters (one of them being a Joe) had some sort of beef with one another. The other guy thought it was me and for a few days he would basically 'stalk' my posts and respond with some sort of insult/comment. I ignored it at first (figured it was some sort of mistaken identity because I had no idea what the guy was talking about) but after a few posts I finally said something like, 'what the hell is your problem?'; he came back with 'don't try to act like you don't know'. I told him I had no clue who he was and then another poster says something like, 'that's Joe P.; he's not the Joe you're thinking of'. The guy quickly realized what happened and apologized...from there I started 'signing' my posts as 'Joe P.' and it just stuck/ became force of habit. Also, on this board there is another 'JoeRU' (who is no problem at all) so it helps differentiate us.

Joe P.
Good to know the story behind that but you have always been a good poster - you can sign them any way you want!

Reactions: JoeRU0304
Our Joe P. is better than State Penn's

...appreciate it; you had to see my face the first few times I saw "JoePa" referenced here (the next letter of my last name is A); I was wondering why people I didn't really know hated me.

Joe P.

Good to know the story behind that but you have always been a good poster - you can sign them any way you want!

Thanks...I'm actually laughing to myself thinking about that event (can't believe it was 15-16 years ago already). The first 2 posts I figured some guy was just busting my chops; the next day he said like 2-3 things to me again and that's when I finally had it. I figured he either had the wrong guy or he was a fan of another team and just had it out for me, but the stuff he was saying was oddly specific ('yeah, you talked all tough yesterday but you won't say **** now') and I had never even really interacted with guy...I will say he ended up being very apologetic when he realized the mixup.

Joe P.

Reactions: RUPete

Joe P.
Have to ask. Do you like or hate this song?

I trust Schiano's eye for talent. I cannot say the same for Chris Ash.

Schiano also has a history of developing players at Rutgers. People are willing to let him go to work because we've seen him do it before.

In the thread for the Co commit I made these exact same points.

In a comparison between Schiano and Ash in terms of track record of finding and developing talent, it's Schiano by a landslide.

Because Greg. I don't buy into it either but hey, some of our fans are so completely all in on greg that they cannot objectively see what is happening. I'm gonna give greg time, I didn't expect him to ome in and have instant results. The key will be his ability to identify talent and we have to give him the benefit of the doubt until we see otherwise. I do hope to pull some 4*'s this cycle though, it's typical of new hires to get at least 2-3 4*'s their first cycle (Hell even Ash pulled that off).

I will say that part of the reason I was against hiring back greg was because I knew what kind of loyalty many of our fans have towards him and if he's fails this time around I think a lot of fans will lose total faith in the program and we could potentially end up in an even worse spot than we are now...

ADVERTISEMENT