ADVERTISEMENT

Record for dunks in a game?

In the 70s I think RU center James Bailey had more dunks in a season than the "Doctors of Dunk" (aka Louisville and Darrell Griffith, et al) so probably not. But a good start.

Reactions: Loyal-Son
relax...Game one, first time playing without fans, no Caleb, no Geo most of the game, and we still rolled. If we played the first 7-minutes like we play the rest of the game we win by 35.
Good point. Basically rolled with a new backcourt for 75% of the game.

Record for dunks in a season

although dunks were never an official stat of basketball, programs that dunked a lot, like Louisville, kept statistics on their players

it is my belief that James Bailey, our center from the 70's is THE all time leader in both season dunks, and all time dunks in college basketball

and he did it over the course of 3 years

the first year when dunking was allowed in college ball, he had 88 dunks....the second year he had 116, and in his senior year he added another 79, that year he was often double teamed causing the drop off..... for a total of 283

I can assure you that no one on the Louisville "doctors of dunk" ever came close....in fact he had more than their entire team during his best years

although dunks were never an official stat of basketball, programs that dunked a lot, like Louisville, kept statistics on their players

it is my belief that James Bailey, our center from the 70's is THE all time leader in both season dunks, and all time dunks in college basketball

and he did it over the course of 3 years

the first year when dunking was allowed in college ball, he had 88 dunks....the second year he had 116, and in his senior year he added another 79, that year he was often double teamed causing the drop off..... for a total of 283

I can assure you that no one on the Louisville "doctors of dunk" ever came close....in fact he had more than their entire team during his best years
Bailey was awesome. . But I don’t ever recall seeing as many dunks by us in a game as I saw today.

Reactions: wheezer
Bailey led the nation one year in dunks. I don't think dunking was allowed or stats were not kept on dunking when he was a freshman. Hinson also had many dunks. Cliff will get many this year and I hope he is at RU for several years.

Seemed like we had about 20 dunks maybe 10 of which were lobs. Are dunks tracked anywhere? Curious to know the actual number

Bailey led the nation one year in dunks. I don't think dunking was allowed or stats were not kept on dunking when he was a freshman. Hinson also had many dunks. Cliff will get many this year and I hope he is at RU for several years.

the NCAA, or whatever body governed at the time, banned dunking as Lew Alcindor entered college..... I think they thought he would ruin the game with constant dunking.... as he left college it was then again allowed.....so Baileys first year there was no dunking....

I count 6 dunks in first half 5 of which were lobs. Only 1 dunk in the first 13 minutes or so. A ton of non dunk points in the paint as well

Jammin' James, Hollis Copeland , and Phil the Thrill.
Nope. During Phil’s time there was a no dunking rule the entire 4 years. They were allowed again in 76 -‘77. Bailey was incredible and Copeland could fly but I don’t think we have ever had 15 dunks in a game before.

The other team had no height. Just a shake off the rust, run up and down the court game. Just a scrimmage I would not get too hyped up or too down. Defense needs to get tighter but that will come against better competition

Nope. During Phil’s time there was a no dunking rule the entire 4 years. They were allowed again in 76 -‘77. Bailey was incredible and Copeland could fly but I don’t think we have ever had 15 dunks in a game before.

Correct,dunking was allowed right after Phil graduated.

I would not get too excited at the number of dunks, we took advantage of a weakness for that game...... we certainly will get way less in big ten play

I am encouraged by the overall total activity of Cliff, rebounding and yes the dunks.....he showed coordination and strength...". For a true freshman in his first game, very encouraging

would like to see Myles dunk more rather than lay it in.. but until he misses a layup on an uncalled foul the point is moot.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT