ADVERTISEMENT

Recruit Offered $100,000 by Louisville Rival

Care to elaborate?
Sure. I do not think it's Kentucky.

I'm not even sure I even believe that article. There was an error in the first paragraph that made me question the reporter's knowledge of the subject matter.

Also, Louisville and Kentucky seldom go after the same prospects.

My guess would be another school with similar colors to Louisville and is in a bordering state.

Remember coach Cal is a North Easterner and while at Umass we were in the same league. How much does Coach Cal pay these days.
He's from someplace in Pennsylvania right?

I doubt he pays anyone these days.

Who did he pay at UMass? Oh, I remember. Nobody. Calipari did not pay anyone.

Remember coach Cal is a North Easterner and while at Umass we were in the same league. How much does Coach Cal pay these days.
He's from someplace in Pennsylvania right?

Who did he pay at UMass? Oh, I remember. Nobody. Calipari did not pay anyone.
Pitino didn't pay anybody either!! You are correct. Camby was paid by others.

Pitino didn't pay anybody either!! You are correct. Camby was paid by others.
Pitino's program was out of control -- hookers, an operations guy doing crazy stuff, what appears to be an assistant coach getting mixed up in a pay for play situation.

Nothing like that has ever been alleged about Calipari.

Other than them both being basketball coaches and Italian I don't even know why you were compared the two.

Reactions: TheRacRU
Pitino's program was out of control -- hookers, an operations guy doing crazy stuff, what appears to be an assistant coach getting mixed up in a pay for play situation.

Other than them both being basketball coaches and Italian I don't even know why you were compared the two.
Paid hookers, jewelry and $40,000 to camby is not similar. We agree to disagree.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Paid hookers, jewelry and $40,000 to camby is not similar. We agree to disagree.
Nobody, to my knowledge, on the Massachusetts basketball staff was involved with that is why it's not similar to Louisville. It was an outside agent. I don't understand why you don't seem to get that difference.

Is it that you just hate John Calipari and that prevents you from looking at these situations objectively?

Nobody, to my knowledge, on the Massachusetts basketball staff was involved with that is why it's not similar to Louisville. It was an outside agent. I don't understand why you don't seem to get that difference.

Is it that you just hate John Calipari and that prevents you from looking at these situations objectively?
Not at all. I'll use your words. Pitino's program was out of control. Same as Cal's.

I personally think most of football and basketball has been caught up in this for decades. Hell, in the 1980's Roy Hinson drove a bad ass RX7 around campus. I often wondered how he got it. His parents must have done much better than my parents.

Not at all. I'll use your words. Pitino's program was out of control. Same as Cal's.

I personally think most of football and basketball has been caught up in this for decades. Hell, in the 1980's Roy Hinson drove a bad ass RX7 around campus. I often wondered how he got it. His parents must have done much better than my parents.
Cal's program wasn't out of control.

An outside agent getting to one player, offering him money, and other inducements, to leave school early and enter the NBA draft and hire him to be his agent is not an out of control program. Not in my opinion anyway.

In Pitino's case the people performing badly, shall we say, were people he actually hired. So they either did the things they did with his blessing, just went rouge, or because there was a culture that existed where they believed that doing whatever it took was expected by Pitino.

Cal's program wasn't out of control.

An outside agent getting to one player, offering him money, and other inducements, to leave school early and enter the NBA draft and hire him to be his agent is not an out of control program. Not in my opinion anyway.

In Pitino's case the people performing badly, shall we say, were people he actually hired. So they either did the things they did with his blessing, just went rouge, or because there was a culture that existed where they believed that doing whatever it took was expected by Pitino.
Cal's programs have had so many wins vacated it took an accounting firm to figure out when his 500th win was. But he is clean.

People seem to want Cal's program to be dirty for nothing more than to justify the dominance of his programs. Whether one lets their distaste of the one-and-done factory he's created cloud their opinion of him is a different story, but its tough to deny his greatness. His track record of winning and getting guys to the league is what draws top guys to Kentucky; it doesn't take money or other impermissible benefits.

Cal is sleazy but not dirty. Still remember when John Cheney went out of control on the air after a game threatening to kill Cal. Of course Cheney hurt his reputation at the end of his career by seemingly instructing his players to injure opposition players. But he always struck me as a guy who did it right. His teams always played hard. Temple is in a lousy neighborhood, and they held early morning practices. Would imagine the big time recruits wanted no part of the Temple culture. So if he threatened to kill Calipari, had to be a good reason, other than Calipari being rather smug and fashionable.
TL

I bet you did that wearing you Kentucky PJ's.
Omg lol are you kidding me? Because I changed your post to make it accurate I have to be wearing Kentucky pajamas?

Wow.
Just busting balls. You got to admit it is funny that they celebrated Cal's 500th win then had to have a do over because of the vacated wins. In my mind Cal is as innocent as JoPa. I bet you believe the exact same but that's where we are different.

Cal is sleazy but not dirty. Still remember when John Cheney went out of control on the air after a game threatening to kill Cal. Of course Cheney hurt his reputation at the end of his career by seemingly instructing his players to injure opposition players. But he always struck me as a guy who did it right. His teams always played hard. Temple is in a lousy neighborhood, and they held early morning practices. Would imagine the big time recruits wanted no part of the Temple culture. So if he threatened to kill Calipari, had to be a good reason, other than Calipari being rather smug and fashionable.
TL
Chaney was upset because he felt Calipari was manipulating referees. Maybe Calipari was, who knows, but Chaney lost it and threatened to kill him. I think Chaney got a one game suspension for that.

Just busting balls. You got to admit it is funny that they celebrated Cal's 500th win then had to have a do over because of the vacated wins. In my mind Cal is as innocent as JoPa. I bet you believe the exact same but that's where we are different.
The 500 win thing was pretty funny when it happened.

Again I think you're making a bad comparison. There is no way, NO WAY, I could ever compare anything that John Calipari is believed to have done or the fact that he had to vacate wins to Joe Paterno not confronting one of his own assistant coaches over a child molestation accusation. An accusation that was based on an eyewitness account of something that happened on campus.

Yes I know Joe reported it to his immediate supervisor. Once he saw that his immediate supervisor wasn't doing anything Joe Paterno should have manned up and taking things into his own hands but apparently winning football games was more important to him than reporting to the police that one of his coaches maybe a child predator.

That whole Penn State thing just sickens me

My guess would be another school with similar colors to Louisville and is in a bordering state.
So you're saying Ohio State.

The article said the other program had won national championships and was no stranger to the final four. Well, Ohio State won only one national championship a million years ago but not sure how much fact checking was done. They've certainly been to the final four a few times in recent memory. Indiana and, to a lesser extent, Cincinnati fit the bill to a degree based on your bordering state/school color hint and the article's national championship, final four criteria.

I also highly doubt the veracity of this unnamed dad's story.

Last edited:
So you're saying Ohio State.

The article said the other program had won national championships and was no stranger to the final four. Well, Ohio State won only one national championship a million years ago but not sure how much fact checking was done. They've certainly been to the final four a few times in recent memory. Indiana and, to a lesser extent, Cincinnati fit the bill to a degree based on the school color, national championship, final four visitor criteria.

I also highly doubt the veracity of this unnamed dad's story.

Indiana also fits the criteria.

Reactions: Russ Wood
Indiana also fits the criteria.
I know, I listed Indiana too. Ohio State, Indiana, and Cincinnati are really the ONLY ones that fit the criteria. I was just assuming that Indiana was a much cleaner program than Ohio State but what do I know? Kinda forgot that Indiana did hire Kelvin Sampson, afterall.

:grimace:

@ColonelRutgers I was not referring to Ohio State. Besides, aren't they Nike?

Cincinnati is Under Armour.

I'm referring to a /// school
Yes, but I couldn't tell from the article exactly how this money was offered or where it was coming from. That article was all over the place.

I was just interested in finding out who your mystery school was and I guess we found out!

Is this serious. Russ would you bet your house, literally, that calaperi hasn't paid recruits? There is no doubt that they are as dirty as any program in the country, probably more so. It will be coming out.

Reactions: ScarletLongIsland

You forget the following Pitino accomplishment:

Banging a groupy on the tables of a closed restaurant and getting her pregnant. Then making a staff member marry her to then get an abortion.

Pitino was the ultimate puppet master and should have been barred from coaching a long time ago.

GO RU

Last edited:
Reactions: Russ Wood
Is this serious. Russ would you bet your house, literally, that calaperi hasn't paid recruits? There is no doubt that they are as dirty as any program in the country, probably more so. It will be coming out.
I wouldn't bet my house on the sun rising in the morning lol

I don't think Kentucky is committing major Level I recruiting violations. If they are, they're really dumb, because kids want to go there. Kids are saying prayers each night that they will get an offer from Kentucky.

Yes, but I couldn't tell from the article exactly how this money was offered or where it was coming from. That article was all over the place.

I was just interested in finding out who your mystery school was and I guess we found out!
That article was weak sauce imo.

Reactions: winfield102
Btw, Pitino put his Louisville home on the market. My guess is that he'll move to Florida, maybe become neighbors with his guy Dick Vitale or near his other guy who is involved with Outback Steakhouse

Btw, this weekend a few people I spoke with believe that the player alluded to in the article is Donovan Mitchell, which kind of surprised me.

Looking at his profile page, he had an Indiana offer but not one from UK

Reactions: ColonelRutgers
Ahhh UMass. Camby, AC's own Lou Rowe, Donta Bright, Dana Dingle, Derrick Kellogg. I think I got that right. Man Lou Rowe was a straight up beast. Gave Yinka Dare and my GDub boys lots of trouble back in the day. Temple no slouch either. Eddie Jones, Aaron McKie. Wow, I used to love me some A10 hoops back in the day. My brother was in the same incoming class as Yinka at GW. Kwame Evans, Nimbo Hammonds. Rhody had a PG named Tyson Wheeler who could ball. St. Joe's had themselves a great PG back then too, but the name escapes me. Rashid Bey perhaps? Too lazy to look up. Anyway, good times.

Ahhh UMass. Camby, AC's own Lou Rowe, Donta Bright, Dana Dingle, Derrick Kellogg. I think I got that right. Man Lou Rowe was a straight up beast. Gave Yinka Dare and my GDub boys lots of trouble back in the day. Temple no slouch either. Eddie Jones, Aaron McKie. Wow, I used to love me some A10 hoops back in the day. My brother was in the same incoming class as Yinka at GW. Kwame Evans, Nimbo Hammonds. Rhody had a PG named Tyson Wheeler who could ball. St. Joe's had themselves a great PG back then too, but the name escapes me. Rashid Bey perhaps? Too lazy to look up. Anyway, good times.

Bernard Blunt

Wenzel could never get Lou Roe into Rutgers. His GPA in HS was so bad he knew that the admissions folks would have put huge scarlet flags out on that one.

Reactions: DirtyRU
Chaney was upset because he felt Calipari was manipulating referees. Maybe Calipari was, who knows, but Chaney lost it and threatened to kill him. I think Chaney got a one game suspension for that.

I was a temple student during that game.

Isn't the fact that it was an outside agent what makes it similar? If it was an assistant coach it would be the exact same situation. Guess depends how you define similar

ADVERTISEMENT