ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting and more

RU72

All American
Gold Member
Jul 25, 2001
Tyler Betsey is the real deal. Duke and Kansas have both offered and are going to see him play in the next week. Rutgers will make his first cut, whenever that takes place.
Kante did not verbal to Michigan yesterday and I am told that NIL is not the sole preoccupation. I am not sure if Rutgers is still in it,but Maryland still seems to be.
I am still hearing that Rutgers will miss one year away from the RAC and that the improvements will be spectacular,with Rutgers rotating between 2 sites,namely Newark and Trenton. It will be well worth a year away.

I am still hearing that Rutgers will miss one year away from the RAC and that the improvements will be spectacular,with Rutgers rotating between 2 sites,namely Newark and Trenton. It will be well worth a year away.
Patrick Hobbs is going to have a lot of explaining to do should this be the case.. He's going to piss off a large segment of the fan base.

They need to be creative and figure out a way to not lose an entire season at home.

Patrick Hobbs is going to have a lot of explaining to do should this be the case.. He's going to piss off a large segment of the fan base.

They need to be creative and figure out a way to not lose an entire season at home.
You think they want to lose an entire home season? Sometimes there isn’t a good solution and you have to pick the best bad option. I know many people here live at a holiday inn so they are experts of everything but this is a big project. It just may not be possible.

What year is this gonna be ? Hope it wouldn’t line up for Dylan harper’s freshman year . Imagine if we lose the recruiting battle for him because he couldn’t play in the RAC .

Tyler Betsey is the real deal. Duke and Kansas have both offered and are going to see him play in the next week. Rutgers will make his first cut, whenever that takes place.
Kante did not verbal to Michigan yesterday and I am told that NIL is not the sole preoccupation. I am not sure if Rutgers is still in it,but Maryland still seems to be.
RU72,
Thanks for all the great info. Is there a specific connection between Kante and MD? Also, do RAC renovations start after this season?

RU72,
Thanks for all the great info. Is there a specific connection between Kante and MD? Also, do RAC renovations start after this season?
How long does it take to complete the renovations? Guessing a year and that's why we lose an entire season? Start in March 2023..................done when????

Season ends the first week of March and starts the first week of November. That's 8 full months to do stuff. They're not building a new arena - what kind of renovations are they talking about that they can't get something done? Losing a season sounds extreme and if I were a recruit if I found out we'd be playing in some hockey arena 45 minutes or an hour away from New Brunswick it would be a major negative. Would also be a major negative for me too. Going to Newark? Going to Trenton? I'd probably be forced to miss the season too.

Season ends the first week of March and starts the first week of November. That's 8 full months to do stuff. They're not building a new arena - what kind of renovations are they talking about that they can't get something done? Losing a season sounds extreme and if I were a recruit if I found out we'd be playing in some hockey arena 45 minutes or an hour away from New Brunswick it would be a major negative. Would also be a major negative for me too. Going to Newark? Going to Trenton? I'd probably be forced to miss the season too.
Not the greatest situation but I’m trying to keep an open mind. 8 months still may not be enough time to get a renovation done.

Reactions: njcanesfan
You think they want to lose an entire home season? Sometimes there isn’t a good solution and you have to pick the best bad option. I know many people here live at a holiday inn so they are experts of everything but this is a big project. It just may not be possible.
I would buy this if it somewhat frequent across the college landscape. I believe one similar circumstance was referenced on this board (Clemson maybe?), but I can't think of a single time a P5 program had to give up their arena for a season.

I would buy this if it somewhat frequent across the college landscape. I believe one similar circumstance was referenced on this board (Clemson maybe?), but I can't think of a single time a P5 program had to give up their arena for a season.
Honestly, I am just reserving judgment until we have some kind of concrete (no pun intended) info. Every project is unique and poses its own challenges.

I forgot Trenton had an arena !
Yeah but it means going down route 1 in traffic going to be very difficult making the home games whatever year this takes place I hope when we get there the athletic department does some adjustment to season tickets

Have you ever had a renovation done in your house? Took like 6 months alone to re-do my kitchen and open up the first floor. Let's say they plan to do this in the off-season and not miss any games at the RAC. If the contractors miss the timing or something goes wrong and extends the time - where is RU going to play if it hasn't already been booked/confirmed? Too many moving parts and potential delay points in a project this size and that doesn't even include factoring in advanced ticket purchases for a renovated arena with different seating charts.

Going to see them at the RAC is great, but do you go to RU games because of the RAC or do you go to games to see the team your a fanatic about? I would still go to games if they played them in the park.

Not the greatest situation but I’m trying to keep an open mind. 8 months still may not be enough time to get a renovation done.
With what some of the pictures looked like on the board the other day this is probably a year and half project

Reactions: njcanesfan
Wow I can’t believe the negativity here. Thanks for the post Richard. Let’s try to look at this as a positive. We’re playing in an arena that is a hole and is nearing 50 years old. Selling the recruits and fans on the future is imperative. I just hope it’s as loud!

I will try to be at every game regardless but the negative impact this will have on recruiting / momentum / fan support etc will only be detrimental.
I don’t mind Trenton as much given its a relatively easy drive for me via 195 but how many people are going to go to Newark to see Rutgers vs FDU.l at 7pm on a weeknight. I guess same could be said for Trenton but parking is easier and I’m sure cheaper.
The inability to get this done in March thru October is quite frustrating. In fact end the prior season at home say in mid February and start the next season say in a tournament and that leaves 9 months to get renovation done.

I'm 20mins from Trenton arena. No worries. I got your courtside seats and will represent. Great places to eat nearby unlike Livingston.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
What would be the parking situation for the prudential center? The only times I've been there, I have ubered

I will try to be at every game regardless but the negative impact this will have on recruiting / momentum / fan support etc will only be detrimental.
I don’t mind Trenton as much given its a relatively easy drive for me via 195 but how many people are going to go to Newark to see Rutgers vs FDU.l at 7pm on a weeknight. I guess same could be said for Trenton but parking is easier and I’m sure cheaper.
The inability to get this done in March thru October is quite frustrating. In fact end the prior season at home say in mid February and start the next season say in a tournament and that leaves 9 months to get renovation done.
I would say you can start renovations March 1, how could you not finish by December 31 ? That’s 10 months and gives us the Conference slate at the renovated jersey mikes

1) many others schools have gone through similar renovations. Cincinnati just finished an $80M renovation in 2018 and they had to play at another arena for a whole season. The renovation took 18 months.

edit- the renovation was very similar to what RU is looking to do. They created a bowl so you could walk around fully, added bathrooms, premium seating, concessions, etc.

2) this is NJ. This will take longer and cost more than every where else.

Last edited:
Yeah but it means going down route 1 in traffic going to be very difficult making the home games whatever year this takes place I hope when we get there the athletic department does some adjustment to season tickets
That's the usual problem with going down Rt. 1 north for me. You just have to find ways around.

I know that you hate Newark, but Trenton sucks for me. I’ll try to make the best of it either way, but I can see a scenario where I may have to dump some tickets for Trenton weekday games. That said, we still don’t know anything yet.

Reactions: BigEastPhil
A development project like a renovation to Jersey Mike’s probably has a two to three year timeline. Architect, engineers (structural, mechanical, electrical, plumbing), permitting and construction.

There is no way to time 24-36 months of project timeline exactly right so you could say “we are starting construction on X date and finishing on Y date”. A significant development project doesnt happen like that.

Last edited:
If those renderings come to fruition I could be okay with playing outside the RAC for a year.

It would suck and I probably wouldn’t make more than a couple games if they played at the Prudential Center. Best case they split between Newark and Camden.

The fact that people don’t understand this reality is mind boggling and borderline comical. Maybe some don’t know what a full renovation involves. Lol.

let’s just play at home. Let’s just pause major construction at a major university building. Lol. Wtf. Lol

Hobbs gonna get fired for finally upgrading the RAC. 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂🤷🏽‍♂️🤷🏽‍♂️🤷🏽‍♂️🤷🏽‍♂️🤷🏽‍♂️🤷🏽‍♂️🤷🏽‍♂️

1) many others schools have gone through similar renovations. Cincinnati just finished an $80M renovation in 2018 and they had to play at another arena for a whole season. The renovation took 18 months.

edit- the renovation was very similar to what RU is looking to do. They created a bowl so you could walk around fully, added bathrooms, premium seating, concessions, etc.

2) this is NJ. This will take longer and cost more than every where else.
Weren't there incentives in the APC's construction contract for finishing on time or ahead of schedule? I could be wrong, but I feel like I read that somewhere. Mind you, I have no idea how long it should take because I have no details about the project, and I have zero expertise in arena renovations.

I'm 20mins from Trenton arena. No worries. I got your courtside seats and will represent. Great places to eat nearby unlike Livingston.
Where are you located? We just moved to Pennington, I won’t mind being twenty min away from games.

What would be the parking situation for the prudential center? The only times I've been there, I have ubered
I work in Newark just down the street from the Rock. There is a ton of large parking lots that service the arena in the immediate vicinity, but they are quite pricey. Luckily for me, I have free parking at my office building…

The fact that people don’t understand this reality is mind boggling and borderline comical. Maybe some don’t know what a full renovation involves. Lol.

let’s just play at home. Let’s just pause major construction at a major university building. Lol. Wtf. Lol

Hobbs gonna get fired for finally upgrading the RAC. 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂🤷🏽‍♂️🤷🏽‍♂️🤷🏽‍♂️🤷🏽‍♂️🤷🏽‍♂️🤷🏽‍♂️🤷🏽‍♂️
How about you live 5 miles from PA and don't want to drive to freakin Newark during evening rush hour.

Have you ever had a renovation done in your house? Took like 6 months alone to re-do my kitchen and open up the first floor. Let's say they plan to do this in the off-season and not miss any games at the RAC. If the contractors miss the timing or something goes wrong and extends the time - where is RU going to play if it hasn't already been booked/confirmed? Too many moving parts and potential delay points in a project this size and that doesn't even include factoring in advanced ticket purchases for a renovated arena with different seating charts.

Going to see them at the RAC is great, but do you go to RU games because of the RAC or do you go to games to see the team your a fanatic about? I would still go to games if they played them in the park.
I’ve barely missed a home game in 35 freakin’ years in all sorts of weather conditions against all sorts of teams when the program didn’t sniff the NCAAs for 30 years. I don’t need someone lecturing me about what it is to be a fan. I love how some people think it’s so easy to just go traveling all over the state on a weeknight in NJ traffic while still actually, you know, having a job.

I’m pretty sure a contractor getting paid millions and with incentives in contracts to meet deadlines is a lot less likely to disappear and make excuses about why their work is going to take longer than hoped than some contractor dealing with some schlub homeowner like me.

Yes, it was Clemson. Their Littlejohn Coliseum was renovated and they played for a season at a full size arena in Greenville, S.C.

Reactions: MiloTalon13
Weren't there incentives in the APC's construction contract for finishing on time or ahead of schedule? I could be wrong, but I feel like I read that somewhere. Mind you, I have no idea how long it should take because I have no details about the project, and I have zero expertise in arena renovations.
Don't worry, there will be many experts that don't work in construction or building renovation work AND have not seen the plans who will tell us all how long the work should take on Jersey Mike's AND why it can be done from March to the end of November. 😀😀😀.

What no one has talked about is how are we paying for this renovation when we are supposed to give Schiano a $150 million football complex and this will probably cost 50 million minimum maybe 100 who the hell knows by the time we start??

Reactions: MiloTalon13

It's a no-win situation for the AD.

NJ people generally want the world but are slow to open their wallets because it's a wait-and-see approach. Rutgers is in a challenging position. The State gave the Athletic Dept. the money to upgrade the RAC. The complaining would have more weight if more fans gave (money) to the program. The fans haven't.

Think about the complaining about how the RAC lacks this or that. Former AD Tim Pernetti came up with a plan but had little support in raising money from the private sector. The plan was tossed. Fast forward to now, the current AD Hobbs is still struggling to raise funds for simple upgrades. In steps the State of NJ with $75 million. To meet the fans' demands for upgrades ASAP, the AD is thinking of doing the project in one season. What do fans want? Do you want slow upgrades that take multiple years so the team can continue to play home games? I see some fans b*tching about that and how inconvenient that would be.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT