ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting and more

Wow I can’t believe the negativity here. Thanks for the post Richard. Let’s try to look at this as a positive. We’re playing in an arena that is a hole and is nearing 50 years old. Selling the recruits and fans on the future is imperative. I just hope it’s as loud!
The RAC is not a “hole”. For me, the only people who can complain sit in the 300 level. And where have they been until recently? Yes, I stand in line for the bathroom at halftime. Big deal. Luxury boxes are a detriment to college sports, expanding the ever widening us/them divide. The RAC is an imperfect arena but every game will be sold out this year and the environment will be among the top few in the country. Not bad for a place some people consider a hole or a dump.

Trenton is considered the Philly market. I'm hearing the B1G is adamant about RU playing its league games in the NYC metro area. If that's the case, we'll probably see the OOC games in Trenton and the conference games in Newark.

Reactions: MiloTalon13
Trenton is considered the Philly market. I'm hearing the B1G is adamant about RU playing its league games in the NYC metro area. If that's the case, we'll probably see the OOC games in Trenton and the conference games in Newark.
Mike,
The B1G doesn’t understand NJ. And I get their concerns. Still, we are a state university and we'll need to do what we need to do. What you suggest may work. The B1G should be listened to carefully but not have the final say.
L

I think like 20 years ago West Virginia had to play an entire season away from home . Not for a new arena - but for asbestos abatement . So the new RAC seems like a good deal comparing

I think like 20 years ago West Virginia had to play an entire season away from home . Not for a new arena - but for asbestos abatement . So the new RAC seems like a good deal comparing
Indeed, the WVU Coliseum was closed for the 1999-2000 season for asbestos removal. Home games were played in Charleston, Wheeling, and Fairmont.

Don’t think it was brought up yet, also Villanova had to relocate for a season when they renovated the pavilion.
I know it’s not apples to apples bc they already have a chunk of their schedule at Wells Fargo.
Did Northwestern build a new facility or do a full renovation of their basketball arena? I don't recall them being out of their building for a year so maybe that was a new gym.

What no one has talked about is how are we paying for this renovation when we are supposed to give Schiano a $150 million football complex and this will probably cost 50 million minimum maybe 100 who the hell knows by the time we start??
IIRC when Murphy earmarked the additional $100mm to Rutgers $50mm of that was supposed to be used for the RAC upgrade.

What about the IZOD Center? There’s plenty of seats, the traffic and parking in the Meadowlands is considerably better than Newark, and they have hosted NCAA games over the years

What about the IZOD Center? There’s plenty of seats, the traffic and parking in the Meadowlands is considerably better than Newark, and they have hosted NCAA games over the years
Is that place even still there?

Think that's just a studio now.

Reactions: RU_EB
Do the Devils own the Prudential Center? Assume we would have to coordinate dates with both them and Seton Hall with us likely getting the worst given the short term nature of the deal.

Reactions: FMT
Most major arena renovations are done over 2-3 years, in phases, to avoid interruption of the season for the major team it houses. I'm sure that it costs a lot more to phase it than doing it all at once. And I'm sure some projects just won't work that way. So I'm reserving judgement. I'm not just assuming this is the way it had to be and that this isn't some bad decisions. I'm not assuming it's a screw up either.

Reactions: DennisHajekRC84
The RAC is not a “hole”. For me, the only people who can complain sit in the 300 level. And where have they been until recently? Yes, I stand in line for the bathroom at halftime. Big deal. Luxury boxes are a detriment to college sports, expanding the ever widening us/them divide. The RAC is an imperfect arena but every game will be sold out this year and the environment will be among the top few in the country. Not bad for a place some people consider a hole or a dump.
Just hire someone to wipe down the countertops that are always filled with soap and water and that would be a great upgrade.

I think they should play a few games at the barn and put a temporary floor and stands in the bubble. Ha!

How about you live 5 miles from PA and don't want to drive to freakin Newark during evening rush hour.
It’s definitely gonna cause I’m inconveniences. Im speaking of those that are enraged about not being able to play at home during construction, or not understanding that there’s a valid reason to play away from the RAC.

I would buy this if it somewhat frequent across the college landscape. I believe one similar circumstance was referenced on this board (Clemson maybe?), but I can't think of a single time a P5 program had to give up their arena for a season.
UCLA did

Just hire someone to wipe down the countertops that are always filled with soap and water and that would be a great upgrade.

I think they should play a few games at the barn and put a temporary floor and stands in the bubble. Ha!
Could use another blower to dry the hands. I’ll give you that.

Don't worry, there will be many experts that don't work in construction or building renovation work AND have not seen the plans who will tell us all how long the work should take on Jersey Mike's AND why it can be done from March to the end of November. 😀😀😀.
They probably would be happy to play at the "Barn" again

Reactions: RUTrack94
Indeed, the WVU Coliseum was closed for the 1999-2000 season for asbestos removal. Home games were played in Charleston, Wheeling, and Fairmont.
Wow! Forgot about that. Fairmont isn’t far from Motown but the other two sites were a bit of a hike. In that state, there are so many WVU fans that the road show was probably well received. That old contaminated clam shell…

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Don't worry, there will be many experts that don't work in construction or building renovation work AND have not seen the plans who will tell us all how long the work should take on Jersey Mike's AND why it can be done from March to the end of November. 😀😀😀.
🤣

I would imagine Rutgers will sponsor many buses for students to attend games at alternate venues and that the crowd will be less but not less vocal. Much needed improvements to the arena may require some pain/sacrifices from the fans.

I would imagine Rutgers will sponsor many buses for students to attend games at alternate venues and that the crowd will be less but not less vocal. Much needed improvements to the arena may require some pain/sacrifices from the fans.
you'd fill 1 bus at most for most games

I don't like missing a season at the RAC at all, like everyone else, but if we do, I think the above is what we would see and I wouldn't have a big problem with it. What I would have a problem with is if the RAC renovations somehow make the RAC much quieter - I simply don't want to lose that intimidating noise factor at all.

Why not do what MSG did instead of the aforementioned colleges? Madison Square Garden's most recent renovation took place mainly over three off-seasons. The renovation was done in phases with the majority of the work done in the summer months to minimize disruptions to the NHL and NBA seasons. Being in the same area, it is apples to apples in terms of construction costs, timeframes, etc.

Why not do what MSG did instead of the aforementioned colleges? Madison Square Garden's most recent renovation took place mainly over three off-seasons. The renovation was done in phases with the majority of the work done in the summer months to minimize disruptions to the NHL and NBA seasons. Being in the same area, it is apples to apples in terms of construction costs, timeframes, etc.
If they're looking to complete the renovations in one block of time -- despite the likelihood of having to play a season somewhere else -- it's probably because the overall cost of the project would increase significantly by performing the renovations in two stages separated by a year.

Reactions: RU_DIO and Scangg
It's really indicative of this site that for years, many people complained that no one was upgrading the RAC and then when it appears it's going to happen, people complain about that. I'm going to wait and see how this plays out but if RU has to spend a year in Newark (please) or Trenton... it will work out.

Because MSG is a multi billion operation that can afford to absorb the higher costs of spreading a project out over time. The cost benefit analysis is also completely different for them because they have two pro teams, a college team, and events and concerts all year round.

That's not bad. How far is the arena from the train station?
Says 1/2 mile. Easy to have a shuttle bus service to and fro…
Would need just one bus making constant trips. Two buses would make it very convenient (Rutgers could even use their own buses maybe). I can’t vouch for the neighborhood.
27 mins may have been an Amtrak train. It’s actually 36 to 38 mins when I looked again.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scangg
It’s at least $14 round trip via the train when I last checked. How many college students spending that kind of cash in this situation?

ADVERTISEMENT