ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Class Announced

richthedentist

All American
Gold Member
Aug 2, 2001
I am not sure how to link but the recruiting class is up on Scarletknights.com. It is not a good class it is mostly transfers who cannot play this year and of those that are eligible there seems to be no one who will have an immediate impact. It is going to be another long year next year. Our recruiting has really fallen off the map and with it the performance of the team will continue in the downward trend.

I am not sure how to link but the recruiting class is up on Scarletknights.com. It is not a good class it is mostly transfers who cannot play this year and of those that are eligible there seems to be no one who will have an immediate impact. It is going to be another long year next year. Our recruiting has really fallen off the map and with it the performance of the team will continue in the downward trend.

" The 2016 Rutgers women's basketball recruiting class was announced on Thursday by head coach C. Vivian Stringer. The eight members of the incoming class features two true freshmen, two junior college transfers and four Division I transfers."

http://www.scarletknights.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/063016aaf.html

Reactions: RU62
Like planning a trip to the dentist to have your teeth checked, Rich's evaluation could be something to worry about, or a look at players that will help ( those who are immediately eligible ) this upcoming season and those who aren't eligible this year but can be a big help in in practice this season before being part of the active roster next year and making the RU WBB team even better next season.
These newcomers, those who will be playing and those who will sit, look like good additions that will help RU make the Big Dance in 2016-17
SCARLETKNIGHTS.COM Women's Basketball Announces Newcomers
http://www.scarletknights.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/063016aaf.html

Edit (Tango posted link , thanks Tango, but will leave mine up
That said, this looks like a pretty good recruiting class that gives a quick roster upgrade while adding players with experience that will make RU a better team in the future along with the 4 year freshman help )

Last edited:

Go away!

Personally, I like the class. A little guard heavy but that's ok. There is a lot of flexibility in terms of line-ups. I've watched clips of Dache Williams and for a 6'2 player she can run the floor well (she's not going to blow by you), handle it, and shoot. How that translates to this level remains to be seen. Kandiss Barber is a Juco first team All-American wing/guard who plays defense (according to Coach Stringer), can score going to the basket and rebounds. Both Carey and Cryor were rated by both services in the top 100 and can play at this level. Jordan Wallace is a 6'3 banger who can knock down shots in the high post. The other players bring something that we have all complained about, 3pt. shooting. That coupled with what we already have in Scaife, Sanders, Parker, Harris, and Juene can really be something that gets us back to the NCAA's.

Based on the number of players in this class and the returning players, my guess is that Alex Alfano is not a scholarship player. Assuming everyone comes back, that leaves only one scholarship for the 2017 class.

Last edited:
Reactions: MADHAT1
Personally, I like the class. A little guard heavy but that's ok. There is a lot of flexibility in terms of line-ups. I've watched clips of Dache Williams and for a 6'2 player she can run the floor well (she's not going to blow by you), handle it, and shoot. How that translates to this level remains to be seen. Kandiss Barber is a Juco first team All-American wing/guard who plays defense (according to Coach Stringer), can score going to the basket and rebounds. Both Carey and Cryor were rated by both services in the top 100 and can play at this level. Jordan Wallace is a 6'3 banger who can knock down shots in the high post. The other players bring something that we have all complained about, 3pt. shooting. That coupled with what we already have in Scaife, Sanders, Parker, Harris, and Juene can really be something that gets us back to the NCAA's.

Based on the number of players in this class and the returning players, my guess is that Alex Alfano is not a scholarship player. Assuming everyone comes back, that leaves only one scholarship for the 2017 class.

We're in the Top 9 for Evina Westbrook who is ranked as the #2 player in the '17 class. Hopefully CVS can pull out all the stops to get her.

Reactions: MADHAT1
I think it was important to balance the classes with some of the transfers and JUCO's. The current upcoming Senior class has only Tyler and Alex, while Shrita is the only true Junior. New blood with experience can help create a new culture.

Reactions: Scarletwoman
I suggest try using the ignore feature. Works great and it isn't even the season yet and ppl are priming themselves to have their content hidden, couldn't be a better day to use ignore

Thanks I will ignore the two of you. Thanks for the advice.

Looks like 10 active players and 3 sitting out the year as transfers. The true freshmen should get some action and need to be ready to go.

Looks like 10 active players and 3 sitting out the year as transfers. The true freshmen should get some action and need to be ready to go.

13 active players. The 8 (1walk-on) returning, 2 freshman, 2 juco's, and 1 transfer with immediate eligibility.

Just curious, what is the purpose of recruiting someone with only 1-year of eligibility? Is it to have another player on the floor during practices? Also, whatever happened to Carlene Mitchell? I thought she was considered to be a dynamo recruiter for CVS?

what did I do?#rudemuch
Gigantor, get used to it. This is what she does. If you have any different opinion, you get a snarky reply back.
Did the same thing to me last year, when I was trying to make a suggestion.
#willalsobeignoredin321

Someone please help me with the math.
The article says we are returning 8 'letterwinners' (including 1 walk-on per rut08) and we are then adding 8 newcomers.
Just how does that break down into 13 scholarship players. Someone who sits out still has to be on scholarship.

13 active players. The 8 (1walk-on) returning, 2 freshman, 2 juco's, and 1 transfer with immediate eligibility.

How is it possible to have 12 active scholarship players and 3 transfers sitting out a year ? The limit is 13 scholarship players. Unless a few people are paying their own way.

Just curious, what is the purpose of recruiting someone with only 1-year of eligibility? Is it to have another player on the floor during practices? Also, whatever happened to Carlene Mitchell? I thought she was considered to be a dynamo recruiter for CVS?
This is just my opinion:
Experience and maturity to help in the locker-room and on the floor.
Tyler and Alex are the only returning players entering their senior year.
Freshmen, no matter how talented, need guidance sometimes from other players and that where being more experienced in collage competition and been through enough games to know what to expect makes 1 year ( imminently eligible) transfers desirable to many college programs.
Also helps the coaching staff develop their true freshman players, instead of rushing them into action because there’s not enough experienced players to add depth .

Carlene is out of coaching as far as I know. She was fired from UCSB a year ago with a year still left on her contract. Last I heard, she was still living in SB with her significant other.

I like it. Think we may surprise some people
Hope you're right and it doesn't appear to be THAT bad, at least statically. One big problem, no real mention of a credible 3 point shooter unless Parker becomes a better threat this season. We never seem to fill that void, every year. Even middle of the road teams attempt 10-15 per game.

Hope you're right and it doesn't appear to be THAT bad, at least statically. One big problem, no real mention of a credible 3 point shooter unless Parker becomes a better threat this season. We never seem to fill that void, every year. Even middle of the road teams attempt 10-15 per game.
Might not be all that bad as far as 3 pointers are concerned .
From Kathleen Fitzpatrick bio:
A product of Academy of Notre Dame de Namur, Fitzpatrick set her high school’s record for career three-pointers (245), tied the single-season mark for three-pointers (72) and finished fourth all-time in scoring (1,329).
(But not going to help this season because of transfer rules.)

From Jazlynd Rollins bio:
averaging 15.3 points, 3.1 assists and 2.5 steals per game and shooting 35.2 percent from three-point range for Daytona State.
(Jazlynd hopefully will do some damage with her 3s)

Last edited:
Might not be all that bad as far as 3 pointers are concerned .
From Kathleen Fitzpatrick bio:
A product of Academy of Notre Dame de Namur, Fitzpatrick set her high school’s record for career three-pointers (245), tied the single-season mark for three-pointers (72) and finished fourth all-time in scoring (1,329).
(But not going to help this season because of transfer rules.)

From Jazlynd Rollins bio:
averaging 15.3 points, 3.1 assists and 2.5 steals per game and shooting 35.2 percent from three-point range for Daytona State.
(Jazlynd hopefully will do some damage with her 3s)
True. I was mainly talking about having a legit 3 point scorer for this season and maybe Rollins can be that player. The other problem is for CVS to figure out how to get that player at least 8-10 attempts a game. That's what the really good teams manage to do, especially in our league.

If the player with one year of eligibility can contribute, why not?

All I can say about the status of the women's program at present is thank goodness we have the WNBA to watch.

RU Old Timer, we hope to change that this year!
Agree, though Rutgers WBB is a winning program, it hasn't won enough to be considered a loch to dance every year.
That has to change and every pre season poll needs to respect RU WBB enough to have it in the Top 10.
I refuse to be negitive about the Rutgers Women's Basketball program and expect it to be respected that way.
Also expect the team to be a B1G Championship contender while being mentioned as a progran with a good shot to take the National title .

Some can look to the WNBA for their enjoyment , I prefer to root for Rutgers and expect a good team.
Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder and every year , before season starts, RU WBB looks like it can be beautiful to me

Reactions: NickyNewark51
The quality of the WNBA is great..perhaps never better than present. However, generally speaking, the quality of the college game (not just RU but in general across most teams) has declined. Not sure why. Just a thought....could it be that women now have many more sports in which to participate than they did 10 years ago..and I'm not even sure that is true. Just puzzled at-in my view--the widening gap between the college game and the WNBA.

The quality of the WNBA is great..perhaps never better than present. However, generally speaking, the quality of the college game (not just RU but in general across most teams) has declined. Not sure why. Just a thought....could it be that women now have many more sports in which to participate than they did 10 years ago..and I'm not even sure that is true. Just puzzled at-in my view--the widening gap between the college game and the WNBA.
If you perceive a decrease in the quality of the college game, I can't help you on that, as I don't think I necessarily see it. And I watch a fair number of games.

However, as to the "W" - the teams are collections of the most talented players from college teams of the last 10 or so years. Maybe the top 10-15 players from any given season (maybe 1/350th of the athletes playing college WBB that year. There-in lies the "talent gap".

It should also be noted that there are folks who don't care as much for the style of WNBA game - driven by the skills of the players (and the players as a team) - as they do for the more team oriented college game, with one or 2 really good players on a team surrounded by a supporting cast.

Have been in this room in so long...it's dead in here like the WNBA...what a down turn...

Have been in this room in so long...it's dead in here like the WNBA...what a down turn...
While you would expect a decrease in postings in the off-season, there's been a noticeable drop off in activity even during the season (at least in recent years).

IMO, it's a combination of 3 things: 1) many more "peripheral" RU fans posted here when we had a top 10 caliber team, those fans will stay away otherwise; 2) there seems to be less fans of other B1G teams posting here occasionally, than we had from fans of other BE teams, when we were in that conference...I particularly remember someone from Louisville and DePaul, and more than just one from UConn; and 3) I believe there's a perception among some former, regular posters that anything critical posted will be rudely responded to by a select few. They've dropped off in level of postings. I've personally had this happen, and told to go away or accused of not being a true fan, etc.

When you add all this up, it's easy to see why the board has dried up.

While you would expect a decrease in postings in the off-season, there's been a noticeable drop off in activity even during the season (at least in recent years).

IMO, it's a combination of 3 things: 1) many more "peripheral" RU fans posted here when we had a top 10 caliber team, those fans will stay away otherwise; 2) there seems to be less fans of other B1G teams posting here occasionally, than we had from fans of other BE teams, when we were in that conference...I particularly remember someone from Louisville and DePaul, and more than just one from UConn; and 3) I believe there's a perception among some former, regular posters that anything critical posted will be rudely responded to by a select few. They've dropped off in level of postings. I've personally had this happen, and told to go away or accused of not being a true fan, etc.

When you add all this up, it's easy to see why the board has dried up.
Posters just bashing everything the RU WBB team did and those with an agenda to make CVS look like a loser made legitimate criticism jumped on.
There's no excuse for that but knowing the reason should help those attacked for speaking their minds honestly on legitimate issues know why some poster overreacted to thir critism of what was/is going on with the WBB program.
Again what I said is not to excuse that behavior or ask it be accepted, only to state I feel those who constantly posted unwarranted criticism because of an agenda they had needs to be taken into account on the way a lot of RU WBB fans posting in the WBB board acted.

For those who want me to name names for argument sake, forget about it.
Not going to make this thread a war zone and only state look into yourself if you want that answer .
A guilty conscience needs no accuser and if you're not feeling guilty> no one's accusing you.
Those who I'm talking about know who they are and can either handle what I said, or whine about it.

Madhat - I hear what you're saying. Perception is subjective. However, I think it went beyond bashing folks with an agenda or CVS bashers. I'm neither. Dead subject for now, not worth discussion further for me. Let's see what happens once the season starts.
Collectively, this board should be able to discuss both the positives and any fair criticisms the same way, and I hope that's what we can do moving forward.

Can't wait til our game down at the RAC with you guys this year... Our roster has a bunch of talented players from Freshman to Senior. However, we had a lot of turnover as well.

Reactions: NickyNewark51
Can't wait til our game down at the RAC with you guys this year... Our roster has a bunch of talented players from Freshman to Senior. However, we had a lot of turnover as well.
Yes it ought to be classic...SH's program has come a long ways and was impressive last yr....I hope we keep this game on the schedule every year...SH recently has been recruiting solidly to excellent...good luck.

Isn't that a bit disingenuous, WPK, to complain that the board is dead - coming from someone who hasn't posted here since last year?
Yes but admittedly he's not far off.....hopefully with a good year it'll pick up but I get you're point...we need more positivity here ....better to say nothing IMO..I guess we fans all feel the need to express/vent now and again but we were spoiled as a bright spot in RU athletics for yrs and have come to expect more right or wrong!!

The college game is still at a very high level at UConn but there is no competition since Tennessee has regressed and other teams are not up to the challenge of beating Geno.

ADVERTISEMENT