ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting for 21-22

Mbash93

Senior
Jan 23, 2012
Monroe Township, NJ
So with everything that happened last night and senior night festivities. If geo jy douc and myles are all on their way out like many suspect, wouldn't pike at least have another kid or two committed to play for next year. I know jones is here and Miller coming in, but unless he plans to get 2-3 grad transfers that's too many open spots.

So maybe not all 4 of them are leaving?

If Geo, Jy, Myles, and Douc are all gone, then we’ll have 3 spots open. Including Jaden Jones, this years team is full. 4 going out and 1 coming in

I can easily see 2 grad or immediately eligible transfers coming in if all those guys do not come back. The is finding the right ones to fill your needs. You also need to project what you will get from your three frosh who have played little.

I'm so bummed about all the talk of Myles leaving. Even with seniors Geo and JY assumedly leaving, I like the team that would be returning with RHJ-hopefully coming back in top shape, Cliff, Jaden Jones, Mulcahy, Caleb, maybe/hopefully Mathis stays (?), true PG Jalen Miller coming in and a couple good transfers. Also think Mag, Palmquist and Reiber can step it up with S&C in offseason and a full OOC schedule. I'd love to see a steady diet of the Myles & Cliff/Twin Towers rotation.

Last edited:
I honestly don't think Baker and Myles depart but can see Jacob Young heading off for a paycheck. We are 1 over the 13 limit right now, so if 3 leave, we have 2 spots.

I honestly don't think Baker and Myles depart but can see Jacob Young heading off for a paycheck. We are 1 over the 13 limit right now, so if 3 leave, we have 2 spots.

Not sure I understand the logic of granting everyone a free year but keeping the limit at 13. I realize ideally you don't want 15 scholarship players on your roster at any point in time but this has to limit the options of all HS and Prep School graduates this year and perhaps the next couple as well. I realize this is not just a basketball issue but I wonder if the NCAA thought this through well enough.

Reactions: Roy_Faulker
Not sure I understand the logic of granting everyone a free year but keeping the limit at 13. I realize ideally you don't want 15 scholarship players on your roster at any point in time but this has to limit the options of all HS and Prep School graduates this year and perhaps the next couple as well. I realize this is not just a basketball issue but I wonder if the NCAA thought this through well enough.

I agree but don't know if you even had 14 or 15 as your option for 2021-22, it still creates the backlog.

If you are an incoming frosh and the rosters were expanded, does that mean the kids from 2021, get an extra year tacked onto their eligibility status?? Would this be a true frosh year for them, the same way a 2020 kid is treated (Jones, Mag, Reiber).

I know it sounds silly but the key is player development for a future starting position or role in the future. I think Mag could be one of the kids that eventually lands in the rotation, but I see Jones and Miller as more likely because of their positions. I think RU can find a guard in the portal to help backfill what may depart and we can develop Miller and Jones for larger roles later. I think the B1G in general is going to have a strep decline in how dominant it has become in the last 3 years, it will still be very good, but the last 2 years have been obscene on how talented and experienced the rosters are.

Wisconsin has 6 seniors....Iowa has 2 starters, Maryland a couple of starters, teams are going to be looking for replacements to reload and I don't anticipate RU having to now struggle to find the right fit, coming off of 2 straight NCAA caliber seasons.

I agree I definitely don't see Myles leaving but I am not sure we are over the limit as who knows what the actual limit will be with the extra year granted to everyone

Reactions: Rusty_Screw_88
I agree but don't know if you even had 14 or 15 as your option for 2021-22, it still creates the backlog.

If you are an incoming frosh and the rosters were expanded, does that mean the kids from 2021, get an extra year tacked onto their eligibility status?? Would this be a true frosh year for them, the same way a 2020 kid is treated (Jones, Mag, Reiber).

I know it sounds silly but the key is player development for a future starting position or role in the future. I think Mag could be one of the kids that eventually lands in the rotation, but I see Jones and Miller as more likely because of their positions. I think RU can find a guard in the portal to help backfill what may depart and we can develop Miller and Jones for larger roles later. I think the B1G in general is going to have a strep decline in how dominant it has become in the last 3 years, it will still be very good, but the last 2 years have been obscene on how talented and experienced the rosters are.

Wisconsin has 6 seniors....Iowa has 2 starters, Maryland a couple of starters, teams are going to be looking for replacements to reload and I don't anticipate RU having to now struggle to find the right fit, coming off of 2 straight NCAA caliber seasons.
There are also financial implications for all the sports and the schools as if there are more scholarship players that is more money for the school to put out as I know my daughter plays D2 lacrosse and went back to grad school for the extra year and received a scholarship to play

Now I know this would never happen at Rutgers, but lets say Geo is on the fence right now, I don't think he going to playing in the Spanish ACB or whatever that top league is called, so lets say he finds himself in a next tier league. What is the avg salary there - 75k maybe? Could a booster for RU "hey geo, wink wink, stay one more year and ill make up that salary missed for you".

• Sad
Reactions: thegock
So with everything that happened last night and senior night festivities. If geo jy douc and myles are all on their way out like many suspect,l

WHO are these “many” you speak of? Pretty sure JY is the only of those 4 that “most” see leaving at this point.

Reactions: RURM85
I agree I definitely don't see Myles leaving but I am not sure we are over the limit as who knows what the actual limit will be with the extra year granted to everyone
Hope that's right with Myles. He and the other returning players I mentioned above plus a couple quality transfers (PF and imo a seasoned PG) will have us in line for another Big Dance run.

Can anyone identify JUCOs we're interested in?

With the extra year of eligibility, the transfer market is going to be insane this year. I would hope with our trajectory we won't need to dip into the juco pool and clog up a roster spot for a few years. Hopefully it's more of a plug and play like with Yeboah.

Reactions: knight82
Hypothetically, let's assume Baker and Young depart, while Myles and RHJ stay. Our team would look something like this (yes, I know we play "position-less" basketball, so the positions here are just for sake of conversation):

1 - Mulcahy, Miller
2 - Mathis, Jones
3 - McConnell, Mag
4 - Harper, Palmquist
5 - Myles, Cliff, Reiber

In this scenario, we have two "open" scholarships. But with the above lineup, we will be severely hampered by the lack of proven shooters, and question-marks will abound. Will Mag, Palmquist, and Reiber develop by year two? Will Jones be the shooter/scorer that has been advertised? What will we get from Miller?

I think the question-marks will prompt Pike to scour the transfer portal for an experienced shooter, preferably one that can also handle "lead guard" duties. In losing Geo and JY, we will be losing our best ballhandlers/penetrators/distributors, and that function needs to be replaced too. Paul is a solid ballhandler, but his game is more "steady" rather than breaking down teams off the bounce.

Pretty sure that if we were about to have three scholarships open for next year (with JY, Duke, Myles and Geo finishes )...we would be hearing a lot more about offers going out for next year....

My guess is
JY doesn’t come back for a 6th year
Geo and Myles are back
Unsure about Duke

Selfishly I want Myles to go to grad school here . He has always claimed he loves Rutgers and the metro area . Great engineering school , and a pipeline to lucrative jobs. Plus perhaps Ron Harper returns . Don’t think Baker and JY will be back but at this point let’s just get that bid.

That was the point I was trying to make with my post. It sounds like as of now, the limit at least in football (85) and basketball (13) is not changing. So no more scholarship money would be allocated. Schiano mentioned it in his post season press conference.

If that is the case, the opportunities for the next couple of graduating HS classes are going to very limited if many kids choose to take the extra year of eligibility. It could take 3-4 years to work through this absent a temporary bump in the limits. Not sure that seems right but the numbers can become unworkable quickly.

I don't think Pike or many other bball coaches want a roster with more than 13 but it is going to be a challenge to manage. Not a lot of kids want to redshirt and that only partially solves the problem anyway. Schiano would probably be OK with 100 kids on his team.

Pretty sure that if we were about to have three scholarships open for next year (with JY, Duke, Myles and Geo finishes )...we would be hearing a lot more about offers going out for next year....

My guess is
JY doesn’t come back for a 6th year
Geo and Myles are back
Unsure about Duke
Pike probably pushes Duke to the portal, IMO. He's D1 but not P5 and definitely not B1G quality. We need a stretch 4 that can score like Yeboah.

Reactions: jonS
For all of you saying geo is on the fence, cmon. He compared it to slavery. No one is going to opt to come back to slavery.

Reactions: OJRutgers
I have a feeling we will see “unfinished business” tweets from Myles and Geo after the season

The argument for someone returning has a lot to do with how this season finishes up.

If RU plays well down the stretch and goes 1 and 1 in the B1G tournament and 1 and 1 in the NCAAs, then I could see those accomplishments fueling a return.

I think if it was a loss to Indiana and a ton of negative energy for 5 days heading into Nebraska, the fanbase probably pushes Geo and Myles out the door. Even if RU had rallied to beat Nebraska and Minnesota.

The perception of the program IMO was completed with the game and wipeout of Indiana. The team can now get back to having fun again and playing for each other.

I also think and have stated in the past that I can't see a player leaving without the proper send off.....if that send off is 15% capacity and high quality games in the NCAAS, who knows....but I wondered if a Myles or Geo would want to not leave to a sold out or partially filled RAC next season. If someone told me today that by Thanksgiving, there would be protocols to ensure even 65% of the RAC filled, I think any player would want to return. There is something that says Geo and Myles have a good finish to this 2020-21 season and make one more run at it.

Reactions: KevH
dumb post...he was commenting about rights to likenesses on video games
I believe Plum was being a bit sarcastic in the post. Just my humble opinion. Who knows what Baker’s semi famous quote really means. Could mean several things ? Hope he makes a ton of $$$$ and finds happiness going forward.

Just guessing, but I think Myles and Geo return. Duke definitely gone. Tez I see leaving as well via transfer. JY plays pro ball in Europe, sees the world and makes some good coin.

I think Mathis is gone along with Jacob. Hoping Geo and Myles come back along with Duke for depth. Would really stink if all are gone.

The threat of COVID will be over by September unless Dems want to keep us locked up forever. Everyone get the vaccine when eligible. Packed RAC next winter .

The argument for someone returning has a lot to do with how this season finishes up.

If RU plays well down the stretch and goes 1 and 1 in the B1G tournament and 1 and 1 in the NCAAs, then I could see those accomplishments fueling a return.

I think if it was a loss to Indiana and a ton of negative energy for 5 days heading into Nebraska, the fanbase probably pushes Geo and Myles out the door. Even if RU had rallied to beat Nebraska and Minnesota.

The perception of the program IMO was completed with the game and wipeout of Indiana. The team can now get back to having fun again and playing for each other.

I also think and have stated in the past that I can't see a player leaving without the proper send off.....if that send off is 15% capacity and high quality games in the NCAAS, who knows....but I wondered if a Myles or Geo would want to not leave to a sold out or partially filled RAC next season. If someone told me today that by Thanksgiving, there would be protocols to ensure even 65% of the RAC filled, I think any player would want to return. There is something that says Geo and Myles have a good finish to this 2020-21 season and make one more run at it.

Even if they leave at the end of this year, I think there would be a plan to have them back for a game at some point next season (or later if playing elsewhere) to give them a proper send off for their contributions to the program.

Reactions: RC1978 and RUhobbit
That was the point I was trying to make with my post. It sounds like as of now, the limit at least in football (85) and basketball (13) is not changing. So no more scholarship money would be allocated. Schiano mentioned it in his post season press conference.

If that is the case, the opportunities for the next couple of graduating HS classes are going to very limited if many kids choose to take the extra year of eligibility. It could take 3-4 years to work through this absent a temporary bump in the limits. Not sure that seems right but the numbers can become unworkable quickly.

I don't think Pike or many other bball coaches want a roster with more than 13 but it is going to be a challenge to manage. Not a lot of kids want to redshirt and that only partially solves the problem anyway. Schiano would probably be OK with 100 kids on his team.
Is that limit of 85 self imposed or is it NCAA imposed I can’t see them not raising the limits as the free year applied to everyone!!

Is that limit of 85 self imposed or is it NCAA imposed I can’t see them not raising the limits as the free year applied to everyone!!
For FB, the 2021 NCAA limit is 85 plus the number of seniors. It goes down to a firm 85 in 2022. That is why there is a scholarship crunch in 2022.

I think a phased-in reduction would be more equitable. Make the limit 95 in 2022, 90 in 2023, and 85 in 2024 and thereafter. But there's no indication that that will happen.

I am not sure if for BB, the NCAA is offering any accommodation in 2021-22, or whether the limit is a firm 13.

Seniors this past year who come back next year do not count toward the 85 limit in football. That's how they're raising the limit. It's probably the same for basketball's 13 limit. But not 100% positive on that one.

dumb post...he was commenting about rights to likenesses on video games
He doesn’t like the ncaa and also had disdain for the “amateur” tag . Look up his tweets before you get on me. .
Obviously , he doesn’t feel so strongly about being an ncaa amateur athlete . Don’t see why he would opt to continue it.

If I were given a free year next year and get a chance to play my sport next year, you have to be insane not to take it if it is fully paid. Pro dollars will always be there if you are good enough. Having a Covid free year starting in September and enjoying college life is like a dream from heaven

Reactions: brad1218
If all 4 leave, playing "Classes" would leave Montez Mathis and RHJ as seniors, Mulcahy and McConnell(he was going to redshirt) as Juniors, Palmquist, Reiber, Mag, and Cliff as Sophomores, Jaden Jones and Jalen Miller as Freshman. That's 10 scholarships, I guess prefect scenario would be a Grad Transfer, Junior and another Freshman(3-3-4-3), if not leave one open.

Spitballing the lineup with starters would probably be Mulcahy, Mathis, McConnell, RHJ and Cliff, backup by position Jalen 1, Jaden 2, Palmquist 3, Mag 4, and Reiber 5 with what is staying.

Wouldn't shock me Doucoure to Fairfield.
Myles and Geo will all depend on what they do in March Madness. If they make a legit run S16,E8, they are probably gone. If Geo stays, you might lose Mathis if what happened on Wed meant anything. I think JY is gone either way, his stock is never better right now and I bet he will impress in a NBA pre-draft combine.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT