ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting from ask the experts

djrc89

All Conference
Gold Member
Aug 5, 2001
Richie says recruiting is quiet and that it’s a tough sell. I know on some level it’s beating a dead horse (where did that cliche come from). However the team played hard last year. Coach seems like a great person from my vantage point. I understand the program was down for a couple of years, but I’m not certain it should be that hard a sell

They have barely followed or reported on Rutgers WBB all year. Are we to believe that they have some in.depth knowledge and information on a subject (Recruiting ) that requires extensive research ? 😂😂😂😂

Last edited:
They have barely followed or reported on Rutgers WBB all year. Are we to believe that they have some in.depth knowledge and information on a subject (Recruiting ) that requires extensive research ? 😂😂😂😂
when there's nothing to report, nothing reported.
So I won't complain about others lack of recruiting news , because if I complain someone might demand that I look for the info harder.

when there's nothing to report, nothing reported.
So I won't complain about others lack of recruiting news , because if I complain someone might demand that I look for the info harder.
Yeah but this is a problem as the portal is open and so is recruiting and I know your more knowledgeable than me but we have only 1 girl for next year and how many did we lose? This shouldn't be that hard a sell as you have great opportuinities for these women to play immediately so there should be some worry that we have not heard anything yet

Yeah but this is a problem as the portal is open and so is recruiting and I know your more knowledgeable than me but we have only 1 girl for next year and how many did we lose? This shouldn't be that hard a sell as you have great opportuinities for these women to play immediately so there should be some worry that we have not heard anything yet
rich
Not really knowledgeable.
Picking up ti-bits and running with them is what I do best.
I get most of my info from this board then go searching the names I see posted and talk about what I find.

Like everyone here, a bit frustrated that I'm not finding out anything about how RU is doing in the portal players department and RU getting HS talent to commit

Richie says recruiting is quiet and that it’s a tough sell. I know on some level it’s beating a dead horse (where did that cliche come from). However the team played hard last year. Coach seems like a great person from my vantage point. I understand the program was down for a couple of years, but I’m not certain it should be that hard a sell
Richie doesn't follow women's basketball, nor do the other mods.

If true, the program is in serious trouble. Hobbs had to know he needed to hire a dynamic recruiter to rebuild after CVS. Did he fail to do that?

If true, the program is in serious trouble. Hobbs had to know he needed to hire a dynamic recruiter to rebuild after CVS. Did he fail to do that?
I'm not sure how you define that, but I have read some say that her lack of recruiting success contributed to her difficulties at State Penn. I don't have any actual idea, I'm just reporting what some said when she was hired. I don't know if they knew anything either.

Regardless - it is a tough sell. Players want success. It takes a special player to want to be "rebuilding". And Rutgers is rebuilding. It makes it especially tough to get "top" players, including the top players in the portal. Still, there is a nice selection available, I hope we land someone.

I'm not sure how you define that, but I have read some say that her lack of recruiting success contributed to her difficulties at State Penn. I don't have any actual idea, I'm just reporting what some said when she was hired. I don't know if they knew anything either.

Regardless - it is a tough sell. Players want success. It takes a special player to want to be "rebuilding". And Rutgers is rebuilding. It makes it especially tough to get "top" players, including the top players in the portal. Still, there is a nice selection available, I hope we land someone.
Ooof. This was a recruit first hire that was needed to build talent level. If not that then a Pikiell type approach of philosophy that kids will be willing to dive into and on sheer will create wins. Saw a bit of that, but she does need to recruit for that at the very least.

I think we make a mistake when we keep pushing that it's gonna be a slow rebuild. In this day and time, that alone will turn off the kind of players you want to attract to the program. That has been the constant theme on this board and throughout the coaching transition.

Continuing to say that just speaks it into existence, IMO. This portal age changed everything. It comes down to how well you can sell the vision for your program. Of course it helps if you have clout coming in. The example is right there with Kim Mulkey. Shauna Green. I know this is football, but I'm curious to see how Deion does at Colorado. Even if it takes him 3 or 4 years to be elite, he's got the buy in from Day 1.

We need to paint a clearer vision of what the program is striving to be and then go get us some buy-in. CVS came in and boldly said we would be the "Jewel of the East". Yes, it ruffled the feathers of Geno and Co., and we never came close to taking that title away from them, but it set a clear mark that the program was reaching for.

Reactions: KevH
Also, ...The University has to do a better job of marketing itself as THE true State University of NJ. (don't want to get in trouble with OSU over that second 'e' to 'the')

What's with this symbol I'm seeing now with just the Central part of the state of NJ??? Seems like a good way to alienate North and South Jersey. That's why the fan base is not expanding as we would like. Gotta make all of Jersey feel like RU is their State University.

After spending a lot time living in North Jersey, it never felt like it was Rutgers territory. With SHU and other good schools(Montclair, Kean, Fairleigh, NJIT, etc) Rutgers seemed to just fall right in the mix with them as just another option.

Needs to be marketed more throughout the state and into NYC. Schiano's been trying to do it with RU Football. Being that the region has always been a strong basketball one, the area is prime for a school to represent it. RU has the size and infrastructure to be our NY/NJ University. UConn looks like they are going to be good on the men's and women's side for the foreseeable future. They still can't represent for NY/NJ. Not St Johns......Not SHall......................Not Princeton .....................................................RUTGERS!!!! is that place!

I think we make a mistake when we keep pushing that it's gonna be a slow rebuild. In this day and time, that alone will turn off the kind of players you want to attract to the program. That has been the constant theme on this board and throughout the coaching transition.

Continuing to say that just speaks it into existence, IMO. This portal age changed everything. It comes down to how well you can sell the vision for your program. Of course it helps if you have clout coming in. The example is right there with Kim Mulkey. Shauna Green. I know this is football, but I'm curious to see how Deion does at Colorado. Even if it takes him 3 or 4 years to be elite, he's got the buy in from Day 1.

We need to paint a clearer vision of what the program is striving to be and then go get us some buy-in. CVS came in and boldly said we would be the "Jewel of the East". Yes, it ruffled the feathers of Geno and Co., and we never came close to taking that title away from them, but it set a clear mark that the program was reaching for.
It is going to be a slow rebuild, most likely. Most are. Green brought 4 players (one way or another) with her, as well as an existing staff from a program that was highly successful. She is perhaps very remotely comparable to Coach Washington, but Green was 127 - 50 at Dayton, Coquese was 209 - 169 at Penn State. Plus Green was consecutive, Coquese was not a head coach for a 3 season gap.

Mulkey doesn't enter the conversation.

I actually want to watch how Joni Taylor (and Associate HC Chelsea Newton) make out going forward at Texas A&M. That is an interesting situation. Blair's last year was sub-.500 (barely) and of course they were terrible this year under Taylor. Rutgers was far worse under Tim, and about the same as A&M this year. That said, her Georgia record was a very respectable 140-75.

Even Coach Yo you mentioned took 2 bad years, a WNIT run and a first round NCAA out in her first 4 years at Ole Miss. This was the her best year.

It is a tough situation. Coquese was hired ultimately to do a rebuild - it certainly wasn't a reload - and she needs to be supported in that.

It is going to be a slow rebuild, most likely. Most are. Green brought 4 players (one way or another) with her, as well as an existing staff from a program that was highly successful. She is perhaps very remotely comparable to Coach Washington, but Green was 127 - 50 at Dayton, Coquese was 209 - 169 at Penn State. Plus Green was consecutive, Coquese was not a head coach for a 3 season gap.

Mulkey doesn't enter the conversation.

I actually want to watch how Joni Taylor (and Associate HC Chelsea Newton) make out going forward at Texas A&M. That is an interesting situation. Blair's last year was sub-.500 (barely) and of course they were terrible this year under Taylor. Rutgers was far worse under Tim, and about the same as A&M this year. That said, her Georgia record was a very respectable 140-75.

Even Coach Yo you mentioned took 2 bad years, a WNIT run and a first round NCAA out in her first 4 years at Ole Miss. This was the her best year.

It is a tough situation. Coquese was hired ultimately to do a rebuild - it certainly wasn't a reload - and she needs to be supported in that.
It is a tough situation. It is definitely a rebuild. And yes, the way it's going, it's going to be a slow rebuild. I'm 100% supportive of Coach being given the time. You know I believe in a Coach getting their fair chance.

I just see the portal as the game changer that makes it possible for rebuilds to happen in much shorter times periods than we have been accustomed to in the past. I threw out those names because they are examples of coaches who were able to take advantage of the portal to aid their rebuilds.

Heck, we were in rebuild mode when Diamond and the others left. CVS and staff used the portal effectively to reload with a roster that was pretty talented. We just had the wrong person in charge on the sideline. Quick rebuilds are possible. It's up to the coach to have the pull to be able to attract players.

Granted, Coquese was not consecutive as a HC and therefore may have lost some of her influence with today's recruits. This will cause the rebuild to be slow. But it didn't have to be the case. She may just need that Jolette Law type assistant to kill it on the recruiting trail. Coquese would then have to be able to close the deal.

Coach Yo has been rising ever since this portal thing exploded and she grabbed Shakira Austin. She got that first domino to fall.

A&M will be interesting. Some are already giving Joni flack. Like you said, she did a respectable job at UGA. We have to recognize that she struggled mightily this past season but had major injuries for much of the season. Once she got healthy, they made a bit of a run at season's end. I think she just picked up some decent players in the portal. If she were to pick up a L. Betts or A Morrow and a Endiya Rogers or a HVL or a T. PaoPao......rebuild complete.....in year 2.

Those are big ifs but I'm just saying, these days, quick reloads just depend on a coach's pull/clout.

All good points about the portal being a game changer and lessening the time to rebuild. So is NIL with some of these kids moving for the $. You can bet the more successful programs are attracting players with that alone.

Finally, we have to be relieved that Coach W kept Smikle (so far), I was concerned we would lose her. I’m hoping she can help recruit some of those LI kids in the portal.

Also, I’m curious if the portal may slow down a bit after the extra ‘bonus’ year from Covid disappears next year.

All good points about the portal being a game changer and lessening the time to rebuild. So is NIL with some of these kids moving for the $. You can bet the more successful programs are attracting players with that alone.

Finally, we have to be relieved that Coach W kept Smikle (so far), I was concerned we would lose her. I’m hoping she can help recruit some of those LI kids in the portal.

Also, I’m curious if the portal may slow down a bit after the extra ‘bonus’ year from Covid disappears next year.
The problem is we can't go through another year with only 8 scholarship players to me it is a very very bad sign that we have not picked up anyone and we have only 1 recruit!!!!!!! That is awful basketball unlike football doesn't have to be a slow rebuild 2 or 3 good players added and you have something to build on immediately unlike football where you need 40 -50 players
This is not good as far as I can tell

Reactions: eso1989
The problem is we can't go through another year with only 8 scholarship players to me it is a very very bad sign that we have not picked up anyone and we have only 1 recruit!!!!!!! That is awful basketball unlike football doesn't have to be a slow rebuild 2 or 3 good players added and you have something to build on immediately unlike football where you need 40 -50 players
This is not good as far as I can tell
Come on dude. The spring signing period just started a few days ago and it's only April 15th. If you think this team will have 8 players by September that's crazy.. I think you are being dramatic.

Last edited:
Come on dude. The spring signing period just started a few days ago and it's only April 15th. If you think this team will have 8 players by September that's crazy.. I think you are being dramatic.
there are other opinions you all may, or not agree with, but there was never a chance at the 2022 and 2923 classes. By the time she came in all the ladies in the 2022 Gurlz two fifty were committed elsewhere and 90 percent of the 2023 class,
Further with Michelle and Nadine gone we had zero relationships with potential recruits so the understanding should have been exclusively ( or close to ) transfers.

so while the potential for disappointment still exists the coaches would have been doing yoemans work identifying and chasing players. If you remember Tasha was a serious recruiter under cviv here but upon her departure the was programing backslide. Correlation perhaps.?? Nicki was at South Carolina and head recruiter moving into their first ncaa title. Personally recruiting cannot be in better hands and of course thats my opinion.

On you tube if you can pull up April 2023 St John Vianney vrs number 2 nationally Long Island Lutheran. Coach Co was there and in the cameras forefront at game end. Targets Lilu center and point guard. Frankly i would be surprised if they did not already have offers. Oh both currently juniors.
So the cviv handicaps are gone and conventional 2024 recruiting is beginning. Sadly we are not informed but i dont think they are idle.

for now two questions and i suspect eligibility is being reviewed but it appears, on the surface , that Sidibe and Carter should be entitle to a covid year. If so you are probably looking at 3 players and not 7-8
anyway just thought i might enter the conversation

That is bad news about Carter. She likely would have been able to play off the ball next year, where she's more comfortable. It likely would be crowded at that spot if Coach works the portal as expected. Maybe she wants to go back to being a focal point of a team and play 30 min./game in her last year of college ball.

if we are being realistic, we had to think somebody would jump in the portal from our roster. Everybody loses somebody.

I wish Kai all the best and am thankful that she gave us a year when we really needed players. And she seems like a really quality individual. That being said, we just need to stay focused on the task at hand.

Go bring Destiny Adams and Justine Pissot home where they can play in front of family and friends and be the versatile, dominant stretch players that NJ knows them to be. Destiny can be here for the frenzy that her brother is going to be the center of over the next couple of years as NJ's Top Player in his class.

And to top it all off, get Devyn Quigley(from the same HS as Destiny) and/or M. Blakes to come in the following year and join this NEW Jersey Takeover that will be going down at the RAC.

Can you imagine having shooters like Smikle, Huerter, Pissot, and Quigley on the perimeter. Adams is a good 3pt shooter, and Antonia will continue to smooth out her shot.

Chyna, D.Adams, and KB make a good post rotation. Still would look to add a 6'5" or taller. Tie it all together with one of these good point guards out here in the portal for the immediate future along with a HS PG recruit for solidifying the sustained future of the program.

They would not only Rock the RAC, they could Rock the Region.

Gotta put it out there, and speak it into existence. 😉

Reactions: RUfanDNT

This is where some of my optimism comes from.

I thought it would show on the links, but these are three links Destiny recently retweeted.

Reactions: MADHAT1
ADVERTISEMENT