ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling Recruiting Notebook: Who's next up for Rutgers Wrestling?

Lex Knapp

All Conference
Staff
Mar 27, 2018
Finally, it's here! Yes, I have been saying a recruiting update has been coming for some time now, but my sources are not always the quickest on getting back to me, and I like the recruiting updates as comprehensive as possible. Rutgers wrestling has some big time recruits that they are targeting, which include a Cadet World Champion, Fargo champions and medalists, and multiple state champions and placers.

I must say, over the four years I have been doing this, this is by far the most talented group that Rutgers is targeting. The list includes several out of state targets, where in years past Rutgers has been top-heavy on New Jersey targets. That does not mean Coach Goodale and his staff are going to ease up on in-state recruiting. However, they know how necessary it is to get the top talent in Pennsylvania, Georgia, and other states in order to reach that next level.

Click the link below for the latest Rutgers wrestling recruiting notebook!

Really? Finally some information and it requires membership?
giphy.gif

Not to mention every week we have the ask the staff where you can ask Lex about wrestling recruiting or team news!
Thank you, Richard. I expect the 30 days is given with the expectation of a paid subscription. I don't want to sign up just to get the free period, then unsubscribe. I doubt that is what you want when offering 30 days for free. I'd like to see a great deal more information shared about recruiting, wrestler status and goals, and everything else about the program. Part of advancing a program is generating excitement and enthusiasm and I think that can be done much better than it is currently. I can search on Rutgers Football and find numerous stories about recruiting, competition for positions, player status, etc. If it weren't for all the losing, football would be much more enjoyable to watch. But with wrestling, we hear very little with big information gaps. Even now, there is a thread where some of the loyal are asking if not begging for information. At times, it seems even secretive. I can provide examples.

As for the people who think they're clever with comments like "that's how this works", I consider it arrogant and wonder if they'll find it easily affordable 20 years into retirement to pay for information about the teams they like to follow, not to mention all the other pay sites if one wants to watch. Personally, I have many interests and hobies and cannot afford to pay for all the various media. I'm a Rutgers wrestling fan but will have to be satisfied with the crumbs of information shared in the forum.

Thank you, Richard. I expect the 30 days is given with the expectation of a paid subscription. I don't want to sign up just to get the free period, then unsubscribe. I doubt that is what you want when offering 30 days for free. I'd like to see a great deal more information shared about recruiting, wrestler status and goals, and everything else about the program. Part of advancing a program is generating excitement and enthusiasm and I think that can be done much better than it is currently. I can search on Rutgers Football and find numerous stories about recruiting, competition for positions, player status, etc. If it weren't for all the losing, football would be much more enjoyable to watch. But with wrestling, we hear very little with big information gaps. Even now, there is a thread where some of the loyal are asking if not begging for information. At times, it seems even secretive. I can provide examples.

As for the people who think they're clever with comments like "that's how this works", I consider it arrogant and wonder if they'll find it easily affordable 20 years into retirement to pay for information about the teams they like to follow, not to mention all the other pay sites if one wants to watch. Personally, I have many interests and hobies and cannot afford to pay for all the various media. I'm a Rutgers wrestling fan but will have to be satisfied with the crumbs of information shared in the forum.
Hey to each their own. I’m not going to bullshit you but to be honest we are the only site out there with a dedicated wrestling writer so I tend to be his and think we have better info than anyone else out there.

Now in terms of football/hoops recruiting, yes you get a lot of free stories but at the end of the day we have the info on the premium side way before it becomes free and also zero in on top targets, visits etc before the free stories are out there 100% IMO.

End of the day I do recommend you giving it a try, if you don’t like it then feel free to cancel after the 30 days not a big deal! But I would def recommend giving it a try at the very least.

Do you consider it arrogant to point out that you have to pay for groceries? Gas? A ride to the airport?

Are you seriously confused about this?

I made my point perfectly clear. You are comparing life necessities to a discretionary expense, then ask if I'm confused.
Ummm...ok.

But you were pretty clear you expected that discretionary service to be provided to you for free.

And you're surprised people are surprised you asked for that.

Sorry, I have to run now. I have an appointment with Netflix customer service. Those bastards are insisting I have to pay to get access to their content!!!

Ummm...ok.

But you were pretty clear you expected that discretionary service to be provided to you for free.

And you're surprised people are surprised you asked for that.

Sorry, I have to run now. I have an appointment with Netflix customer service. Those bastards are insisting I have to pay to get access to their content!!!
Nope, I never asked for it for free and haven't taken the free 30 days. I did express disappointment that the much-awaited information was behind a paysite. And I presented the case that attracting fans and generating excitement, assuming that is what we would want, can be better achieved by more information flow. I provided football as an example. I know much more about football at Rutgers despite having much more interest in the wrestling program. That might be considered advertising which is an age-old technique for developing business. What's the purpose of the big advertisement at the boardwalk? Rutgers Wrestling! You want to know more? Well, you have to pay for that. Rutgers football - you want to know more? Go online and read about it. You'll know all the latest recruiting progress; you'll read about candidates, including their thoughts and ambitions; you'll know who's going to be the quarterback. It's easy to be a football fan - not so easy to watch them lose.

My message is consistent with wanting to see wrestling successful. Can you see that or are you blinded by your desire to make senseless comments about what you think I want? You don't have to answer, I know.

My surprise (no, actually I'm not) comes more from the inability of some people to understand simple points without distorting them and making equally distorted assertions of what I must want.

Nope, I never asked for it for free and haven't taken the free 30 days. I did express disappointment that the much-awaited information was behind a paysite. And I presented the case that attracting fans and generating excitement, assuming that is what we would want, can be better achieved by more information flow. I provided football as an example. I know much more about football at Rutgers despite having much more interest in the wrestling program. That might be considered advertising which is an age-old technique for developing business. What's the purpose of the big advertisement at the boardwalk? Rutgers Wrestling! You want to know more? Well, you have to pay for that. Rutgers football - you want to know more? Go online and read about it. You'll know all the latest recruiting progress; you'll read about candidates, including their thoughts and ambitions; you'll know who's going to be the quarterback. It's easy to be a football fan - not so easy to watch them lose.

My message is consistent with wanting to see wrestling successful. Can you see that or are you blinded by your desire to make senseless comments about what you think I want? You don't have to answer, I know.

My surprise (no, actually I'm not) comes more from the inability of some people to understand simple points without distorting them and making equally distorted assertions of what I must want.
You are asking for something for free. They are a business, not an advertising/promotion arm of the school so they charge for their service. Clearly you have trouble with that simple point.

Reactions: SirScarlet

I understand and agree with what you are saying. The carrot is being dangled in front of the horse and the horse cant reach it. I brought this up on the football board a year or so ago. If its premium content, it can be conveyed as such. Otherwise it's click bait. Either way, no big deal.

I understand and agree with what you are saying. The carrot is being dangled in front of the horse and the horse cant reach it. I brought this up on the football board a year or so ago. If its premium content, it can be conveyed as such. Otherwise it's click bait. Either way, no big deal.
Thank you. You are right that it is no big deal. Perhaps you understood that my post was one of disappointment and (what I thought was) constructive feedback. The disappointment is mine and I won't apologize for it. The feedback I still think is constructive and provided in good faith. As an example that is surely different but not totally unfair, I've looked at classmates.com as a flawed business model that still can't find its way. In comparison, facebook came along after (I'm pretty sure) and provides much the same sort of information for free. Compare the growth and revenue of those two. I'll go further and say that the wrestling program will be much better off in fan base and funding by not only making information available to those who seek it but also by getting it out and in the face of others.

ADVERTISEMENT