ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting w/ the new staff

PhilaPhans

Best Poster Ever!
Apr 23, 2005
Gibbstown, NJ
For people who follow basketball recruiting on an in-depth level, do you feel that the new staff have made any big in-roads on the recruiting trail yet?

I mean, they're all over the place, which is a good change from the past, but have any of them used much pull and name recognition so far to start getting the attention of recruits that we wouldn't have sniffed in the past?

I know even Ash couldn't really save 2016 his first year, but is now kicking butt. Do you have a feeling that the next year will be good with this staff's recruiting?

I think it was a little different with Ash then Pikiell. Ash at least had a modern practice facility and a stadium that sells out half the time. Pikiell really is starting on the bottom floor. Thats the reason I am hoping beyond all hope that this team does well, enough to bring in the fans to the RAC. Then he will have something.

I think it was a little different with Ash then Pikiell. Ash at least had a modern practice facility and a stadium that sells out half the time. Pikiell really is starting on the bottom floor. Thats the reason I am hoping beyond all hope that this team does well, enough to bring in the fans to the RAC. Then he will have something.
Pikiell has a very hard job which is obvious based on performance of previous coaches.

Despite the staff's reputation I do not sense much buzz on the recruiting trail. I think we need to get a shovel in the ground ASAP on the new training facility.

Reactions: ScarletKid2008
My cousins kid works in the facilities department at RU. He says that they are moving things around on campus to get ready for the practice facility but didn't know a date when construction would start.

But at least they are preparing for it.

You know looking back to last December he faced an impossible task recruiting for a lot of reasons repeated to death here

Then he also has to bring it into balance with 2-3 coming in, or leaving a year
He appeared to score big with SA who averages 4 blocks a game so we are at the bigs
Thiam was iffy for a while and that got done. He is a wing who appears can shoot

Reading carefully he has been in it to the end on about 10 kids and i give him credit for being selective and not just filling the roster

You have 3 guards and 2 can play the point for 12 minutes a game
a sg/ small forward who is a very hard worker
2 small forwards
a power forward
3 centers

I think he is willing to give 6 minutes a game to walk ons at point guard if necessary

So you have balance but may need to go with 10 and pray for no injuries
Lois signed for 2016
jucos and 5th year mostly placed ( still trying ) so there is really no where to go

He took a job that nobody really wanted for obvious reasons. This will take time ,patience, amazingly hard work and due diligence ,and some LUCK. Since we have no choice I will look for signs of progress more so in how we lose than the few times we win.

I have a feeling this program won't be built on blow-me-out-of-the-water recruits early on. You want a solid 2017 class (Jose Alvarado and a few more pieces, perhaps?) and then the kind of season where you surprise the experts and show people you're headed in the right direction. Then things might change. But I wouldn't expect and Ash type recruiting season for 2017 and maybe not even 2018. This is a slow build.

This is my opinion but Bishop Daniels leaving takes you out of those 3-4 turnovers near mid court a game that became fast break baskets and Foremans 2 travel calls agame and you might have improved 8-10 points a game without, even, the centers coming back

DP, We will simmer for a while before we get close to a boil. Sorry for the food reference. I just had surgery and am breaking my fast with a ton of Chinese food..

Reactions: dpwhite
DP, We will simmer for a while before we get close to a boil. Sorry for the food reference. I just had surgery and am breaking my fast with a ton of Chinese food..

You and I agree... other than the fact that I just finished dinner.

Pikiell and staff have been here less than four months. They beat out Texas (among others) for Sa. They fended off a bunch of latecomers who came after Thiam (SHU, SJU). They landed Bullock.

Pikiell, Knight, Hobbs is a very good staff. Their first four months have been a positive. Not sure how anyone can think otherwise.

While we didnt do well last year I am now convinced most of the ineptitude was due to an inept coach who basically did ZIP on all levels.

It isnt like we dont have talent,,,we do have some..and with better coaching and better habits we could be easily better than last year.

After that the coach starts getting HIS players here....

Reactions: Jim_from_RU
Winning games and competing and playing with confidence and poise are what matters. Having a chance in games. APR stuff, processes, culture changes, "our type of guys" is all nice but does not matter in the end. Especially to outsiders.

Pikiell and staff have been here less than four months. They beat out Texas (among others) for Sa. They fended off a bunch of latecomers who came after Thiam (SHU, SJU). They landed Bullock.

Pikiell, Knight, Hobbs is a very good staff. Their first four months have been a positive. Not sure how anyone can think otherwise.
Were in the NYC/NJ/Philly Demo......if their even adequate we should be moving faster than the SHU's and SJ's and JW's Nova at that.....in 2 or 3 yrs we should be a B10 power and by then the cash should be rolling in...Pat Hobbs is making all the right moves.

Last edited:
Reactions: RUMountie

I know Sa and Thiam still count, but from everything we hear, it's all about Shoes. I was more wondering if Pikiell or Knight or Hobbs have made any inroads yet. I'm sure good things will come in time. I don't think we've had a staff this close to national prominence in the past many years.

Reactions: Jim_from_RU
I know Sa and Thiam still count, but from everything we hear, it's all about Shoes. I was more wondering if Pikiell or Knight or Hobbs have made any inroads yet. I'm sure good things will come in time. I don't think we've had a staff this close to national prominence in the past many years.
Like, ever.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT