ADVERTISEMENT

Reflections this far this season

Vince2310

Freshman
Dec 3, 2012
I came into this season searching high and low to find a bar to watch the Washington game. Going into that game I actually though we could upset them. In fact almost bet a ton of cash on the game as the spread seemed so wide. This was largely based on my view that this new coaching staff was going to teach the fundamentals of football that flood lacked. Knowing we didn't have carroo and still had laviano, I still had faith in Ash's process. I saw him as a young schaino. Given that he had more to work with than schaino did when he started here, I was really excited.

Then of course reality set in. We lost to Washington (thank god I didn't bet was I initially wanted to). We had slow starts to Howard and New Mexico, which started to show some cracks. Then of course the blow outs to Ohio state and Michagan. Those hurt the most as I really came into this season thinking that we would be more competive in games against the top dogs.

The loss to Iowa was painful as we could have won it, but the loss of grant was a death blow. Illinois was winable and then the loser yesterday was painful.

Like everyone else on this board, i have been upset and questioned everything about this staff. Especially if they are in over their heads. The reality is they probobally are. At this point I want to believe again, and give them another chance. Yesterday was the first game that made me feel alive. Sure we lost but that painful feeling was better than the feeling of humiliation. If Ash and company can't manage to make the final 4 games feel like this one (and even win 1-2 of them), I will feel pretty good about where we go from here. Most importantly, if he can manage to hold our 2017 class intact and if Grant can (and chooses to) come back, 2016 will likely prove to be a bottom.

Ash is not going anywhere for a while, so while it's easy to blame and doubt, I am going to be hopeful and look at the next 4 games like a new season. If we can pull off a win versus Penn state, it can make up for a lot of pain this year.

Go RU!

Maybe you should have paid attention to some of us the last couple of years and not have had such ridiculous expectations going into this season. Food for thought my friend. Tempered expectations, as it seems you have now down, will help you through this process!

Reactions: bac2therac
Once again we're told to "wait til' next year", or next, or next, or next. As a long time fan, it's really getting old.

Kicking the can down the road hasn't worked for the men basketball program the past 25 years because the new coaching staffs always say the cupboard is bare.Its the same refrain we are now hearing in regard to the football program. In the end it always comes down to recruiting talent equal to or better than the competition.Rutgers has in the past and continues today not meeting that goal.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT