ADVERTISEMENT

Regarding the "unified branding" theme, what about the Cannon Crew?

Skull83

Senior
Gold Member
Jul 31, 2001
I think I read somewhere that they are Revolutionary War re-enactors, and I appreciate what they do, but wouldn't it be more logical if we converted the cannon into one from the late middle ages/renaissance and dressed the crew up as squires/foot soldiers? Having the Knight galloping onto the field on horseback while the minutemen from the Revolutionary War are firing the cannon seems like a scene from Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure.

The Cannon was not at the spring Game. They had guys dressed in Army clothes (real,ROTC?). Doing push ups after every score. I don't remember seeing that at any of our home games.

You do realize the school was named after a Revolutionary War hero right? Not many knights or dudes in armor around these parts during the middle ages. Just a bunch of guys with bows and arrows.

I think I read somewhere that they are Revolutionary War re-enactors, and I appreciate what they do, but wouldn't it be more logical if we converted the cannon into one from the late middle ages/renaissance and dressed the crew up as squires/foot soldiers? Having the Knight galloping onto the field on horseback while the minutemen from the Revolutionary War are firing the cannon seems like a scene from Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure.

You may not have been on the board when for the entire summer of 2008 there was a significant freak out about where the cannon would go. Pretty safe to say that the cannon is well liked by the fan base and shouldn't go anywhere or change.

While Rutgers is the "scarlet knights" it is also a school that has roots in colonial times.

You may not have been on the board when for the entire summer of 2008 there was a significant freak out about where the cannon would go. Pretty safe to say that the cannon is well liked by the fan base and shouldn't go anywhere or change.

While Rutgers is the "scarlet knights" it is also a school that has roots in colonial times.

So... you're saying no trebuchet?

You do realize the school was named after a Revolutionary War hero right? Not many knights or dudes in armor around these parts during the middle ages. Just a bunch of guys with bows and arrows.
Henry Rutgers was not a Revolutionary War hero. He was a benefactor who bought naming rights to the school for $500.

Reactions: jabbs1
Henry Rutgers was not a Revolutionary War hero. He was a benefactor who bought naming rights to the school for $500.
Ok lets review history here:
1.He was a Captain of American forces at the battle of White Plains(as a captain he was on the front lines in that time period standing right next to his men and ordering them when to fire)

2.He then served as Colonel in the NY Militia

3.His personal home served as barracks for American forces during the siege of NY in 1776

4.After the war he presided over the meeting which organized American forces in anticipation of the ensuing War of 1812. The British tried to strike back in case you didn't know

Sounds like a rich guy who did a hell of a lot more then give $5000 bucks(you got that wrong too) to a school for naming rights to me. He was a lead activist in an insurgent group at a time when they could off with your head. Sounds more like a hero to me.

Last edited:
On Rutgers Day, check out the reenactors playing Henry Rutgers and some other RU historic figures on the Old Queens lawn. They say some pretty interesting stuff.

The Henry Rutgers reenactor talked about how he didn't have a wife or kids, so he donated to a lot of causes. Most of the other things he donated to aren't around anymore, but he still has this major university named after him. So he was a success.

Reactions: ruready07
Wiki him for those to lazy here is the snipit on RU...
Colonel Rutgers' most lasting legacy however, is due to his donations to Queen's College in New Brunswick, New Jersey, which at the time was suffering considerable financial difficulties and temporarily closed. The college had been founded as a seminary for the Reformed Church in America and appealed to Colonel Rutgers, a devout member of the church with a reputation for philanthropy, for aid. Rutgers donated a bond valued at $5000 to reopen the faltering school, and subsequently donated a bronze bell that was hung in the cupola of the Old Queens building which housed the college. In gratitude, and hoping the college would be remembered in the Colonel's will, the trustees renamed it Rutgers College on December 5, 1825. (Colonel Rutgers left nothing to the college upon his death.) The institution later became "Rutgers University," then "Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey".[3]

I have it from a very reliable source that this is the new canon:

18powtcinf8fbjpg.jpg

Henry Rutgers *was* a Revolutionary War hero, and was a benefactor who kept the school open with a $5000 gift.

Not quite right either.

He was a Revolutionary War hero and president of the Board of Corporation of the Reformed Dutch Church. He led the church's efforts to raise money to keep the college open. (He was also a Trustee of the college, but it was through his role in the church that he led the charge to fund the college.)

College president Philip Milledoler suggested renaming the college after Rutgers. It was after the college was renamed that Rutgers provided the bell and cash gift as a token of appreciation for the honor. The gift was not Rutgers buying naming rights, or to keep the college open (Rutgers already led the successful campaign to do that). The gift was a thank you gift for the renaming of the college in his honor.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane. We have our Loyal Sons, and I would suggest we organize a group and call it the Loyal Order of GapTards!

The Cannon was not at the spring Game. They had guys dressed in Army clothes (real,ROTC?). Doing push ups after every score. I don't remember seeing that at any of our home games.
In the 70's (when the school was all male) the cheerleaders did push ups after each score.

What a cluster.
Colonial era school in NJ named for a grubby New York wannabe
With a midevial mascot
Sounds like a tranny

I think I read somewhere that they are Revolutionary War re-enactors, and I appreciate what they do, but wouldn't it be more logical if we converted the cannon into one from the late middle ages/renaissance and dressed the crew up as squires/foot soldiers?
The cannon crew depicting a Revolutionary era cannon crew is far more authentic to Rutgers' history than any heraldic knight stuff.
1308683806be332e7e6312d88632e07b92c67ad4b4-1.jpg

The real question is how do we use this connection to hitch our wagon to the biggest thing in the arts right now?

NY Times
‘Hamilton’ Makes History With 16 Tony Nominations
hamilton-public.jpg

Reactions: KevH
Are people this clueless when it comes to our history?

I am glad to see some of the replies here which focus on facts.

Learn why there is a Canon crew in the 1st place.

Learn why our Fight Song is called The Bells Must Ring.

Stop being a jerk :smiley: :football:

Are the cannon guy outfits too modern?

Maybe the revolutionary theme needs a 21st century updated look, or a connection to the medieval or contemporary times. The reason for their dress on the field is not entirely obvious and a bit confusing to casual observers. A battle standard next to the canon showing 1766 might help, or paint 1766 on the cannon.

Last edited:
Reactions: RUgrad75
The cannon crew depicting a Revolutionary era cannon crew is far more authentic to Rutgers' history than any heraldic knight stuff.
1308683806be332e7e6312d88632e07b92c67ad4b4-1.jpg

The real question is how do we use this connection to hitch our wagon to the biggest thing in the arts right now?

NY Times
‘Hamilton’ Makes History With 16 Tony Nominations
hamilton-public.jpg

Should get Lin Manuel Miranda & his crew fire the first salvo in our first home game. And then they could be part of the halftime show. [roll]

Reactions: KevH
Couldn't find an image of the painting by itself, but on the front cover of a book of mine, "Middlesex County: Crossroads of History" is a painting titled "Captain Alexander Hamilton's Battery defending Brunswick" by Charles Waterhouse (1974):

511B128WG5L._SX343_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Should get Lin Manuel Miranda & his crew fire the first salvo in our first home game. And then they could be part of the halftime show. [roll]

No joke. This is actually a great idea. Maybe not too high on the feasibility scale, but it would be cool as hell and would definitely shed light on RU's Revolutionary War/Alexander Hamilton ties. Make sure the game's tv and radio crews focus somem of their banter on this.

Now there is a man that knows how to promote!

In 2009, Rutgers Stadium was enclosed and gained more seats but lost a traditional spot on a nearby hill for its cannon firings. The story of the current cannon was in the November 14, 1971 Rutgers-Holy Cross program, “It started as a wild dream, over two years ago, when Ted Stier, ’49, with a little help from his son, Rick, now a member of the Class of ’73, suggested to the 20th Reunion Committee that a revolutionary muzzle-loading cannon be the class gift and presented at the football centennial game in 1969. A formal order for a full size cannon was placed in May of 1969 with the Lentz Heavy Carriage Company of Cleveland, Ohio, an outfit that specialized in the building and restoration of cannons for state and federal agencies, historical societies and other groups interested in ancient artillery. After two frustrating seasons, 1949 class correspondent Jim Handford was assigned the task to ‘get the gun in’71.” He delivered, and on the morning of the Columbia game (October 23, 1971), the class of ‘49’s reunion gift rolled into Rutgers Stadium… Stier describes the cannon… as ‘an authentic ¾ scale model of a revolutionary war artillery piece. The barrel bears the crest of George II in relief, and is of a design used by Muller of England, and published in his Treatise of 1759. It is slightly over nine feet long from the end of the carriage to the tip of the barrel, and is nearly five feet from wheel hub to wheel hub.” In 2010, a new spot was designated for the cannon along the sidelines on the field. The Second Regiment, Middlesex County Militia oversees its firing.

After all the crazy things I've read on this board over the years, I feel a certain sense of pride that my modest proposal is considered to be the worst idea ever and the post that caused the board to jump the shark!! Having read everyone's comments, I'm now thinking that I should start a thread proposing elimination of the Scarlet Knight nickname and mascot and the total rebranding of the school to fully embrace its colonial heritage and the legacy of the esteemed Henry Rutgers. Is it possible to jump the shark more than once?

Thanks for the trip down memory lane. We have our Loyal Sons, and I would suggest we organize a group and call it the Loyal Order of GapTards!

Maybe we should do something special for the 10 year anniversary.

It sure was fun waiting for the next batch of pictures from someone who made their way to the stadium for a photo shoot and analyzing them to determine whether the gap could be closed and whether the cannon would remain wasn't it?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT