ADVERTISEMENT

Regardless of the QB choices, im optimistic for a much better than expected year.

TheHandOfChaos

Senior
Gold Member
Oct 9, 2002
The game is mostly played in the trenches and from whats been said here it looks like we have a B1G legit OL and DL this season, to go along with a much improved secondary. The skill positions on offense aside from QB are all solid and dare I say it maybe Laviano is much more improved than people are expecting.

I still would say take Rutgers and the points in game 1. I think we will surprise.

I feel better about the QB situation for a few reasons:

1) Laviano is older
2) This offense would seem to fit his skill set better than the pro set
3) There are options on the bench if he isn't performing
4) I have no doubt Ash will go to those options if needed. Flood was a gross mismanager of the position.

All that it IS still a new offense. It's going to take time no matter who is in the shotgun.

Think people need to move on from him. He made some great plays, but the hype going into last season was astounding, the potential was high but just looks like he won't ever meet it

It would be great if he didn't have 2 shoulder surgeries to come back from, however, he does. Hopefully we get something, anything, out of him this season, then he comes into season 5 100%+!

If coach is saying the only positions where he doesnt feel like we are where we need to be are QB, LB, and kicker, well i think thats light years from where we were last year. Expect some surprises.

Reactions: IL Lusciato
I think Ash believes that he has more talent, on this team, than he thought he would have when he signed up. When you listen to his press conferences he seems optimistic that this will be a much improved team. Does it equal more wins? We'll see.

I think Ash believes that he has more talent, on this team, than he thought he would have when he signed up. When you listen to his press conferences he seems optimistic that this will be a much improved team. Does it equal more wins? We'll see.

I'm 150% behind Ash - have been since day 1 - but I sure as hell am not getting the "warm-and-fuzzies" from him about the coming season.

I'm less worried about the QB position than I am the WR position. Unless we're sitting on a stealth weapon, I just don't see a real threat to get separation and catch the ball. I think we will find out pretty quickly how quickly our OC can adapt.

I'm less worried about the QB position than I am the WR position. Unless we're sitting on a stealth weapon, I just don't see a real threat to get separation and catch the ball. I think we will find out pretty quickly how quickly our OC can adapt.
That comports with what I've been reading about the scrimmages. Our receivers are still having problems getting separation. While doing that can be coached to an extent, a lot of it is based on raw talent. We'll have to see if new coaching has brought out previously undiscovered talent. I hope it does.

Reactions: cicero grimes
Thinking about last year and the games Caroo missed, the passing game was not pretty. It seemed like without Caroo CL was lost. That still has me worried.

Reactions: AreYouNUTS
That comports with what I've been reading about the scrimmages. Our receivers are still having problems getting separation. While doing that can be coached to an extent, a lot of it is based on raw talent. We'll have to see if new coaching has brought out previously undiscovered talent. I hope it does.

I would not be surprised, given the history of the power spread offense, if we see speedsters like Harris and Bailey getting increased play as the season unfolds who can, along with Grant, really stretch a defense and gain separation.

Also, if you look at the recruits coming in, speed has certainly been a priority among the Athletes/WRs/DBs.

Reactions: IL Lusciato
I would not be surprised, given the history of the power spread offense, if we see speedsters like Harris and Bailey getting increased play as the season unfolds who can, along with Grant, really stretch a defense and gain separation.

Also, if you look at the recruits coming in, speed has certainly been a priority among the Athletes/WRs/DBs.
Speed is critical and we have some fast players (all teams do). But against the better teams, who have great speed among their DBs, our receivers also need the ability to unsettle DBs enough to get separation early enough and long enough in the play to give our QB(s) a fighting chance. Either through physicality or agility or both, I don't know.

Great schemes will help. I think the Fridge was good at that.

Reactions: Clearscreen25
I hope you are right. although no one really stepped up last year when Caroo was out.

Ash's comments from a few days ago singled out the freshman, Dacoven Bailey, as someone who won't red-shirt and whose reps have increased. We will see what happens when he gets hit.

I hope you are right. although no one really stepped up last year when Caroo was out.
True. I'm hoping the combination of spread offense and a couple pretty good O linemen in Muller and Miller with give our receivers a bit more time to get that separation.

You give up on players too easily...Turay will be back this season ...he may even surprise the doom and gloom posters...
Bob the doom and gloom posters are basing there opinions on the mods who said to not expect Anything from Turay because of so many reasons. Mods also predicted Laviano as the starting QB and a Loooong season for RU this year.

Our offense is going to be a struggle this year. I expect it to improve as time goes on and they work out the kinks but the first few games are going to be rough. This roster isn't really built for a spread offense yet. The good news is we have a lot of young speed coming in. Our receivers are mostly bigger and slower possession receiver types. Tje only problem is they have trouble getting open. We are going to rely deeply on our running backs and Grant for playmaking because it's probably not coming from anyone else unless some if those young speedy receivers break out. Look out for Decovan Bailey or Harris to eventually be used in this offense.

I am optimistic about our defense. LB is as inexperienced as you can get but we have the players to run the defense that Ash wants to install and the defense is actually talented. I expect a big jump in the quality of our defense. The DLine is very good and our secondary is also going to surprise a lot of people this year.

I don't think we get anymore 45-42 shootouts like we did with Indiana last year. This team is going back to defense being our strength like it was under Schiano.

Why will we be better?
Brutal schedule except Howard. Questions on offensive line, QB, wr, linebackers, health of def line, secondary. Be objective. Not homers. That is why everyone picks us at the bottom of the division. Reality check.

I'm 150% behind Ash - have been since day 1 - but I sure as hell am not getting the "warm-and-fuzzies" from him about the coming season.
Same here....i'm ''cautiously optimistic'' about this season but feel good about him getting it done soon...

Not getting the warm and fuzzies from Ash simply means he doesn't think this team will win the B1G East. It doesn't mean it won't compete and go bowling. 6-6 would be considered a bad year for Ash. Expectations and standards are a lot higher now .... fans cannot seem to grasp this.

Why will we be better?
Brutal schedule except Howard. Questions on offensive line, QB, wr, linebackers, health of def line, secondary. Be objective. Not homers. That is why everyone picks us at the bottom of the division. Reality check.

We will be better because FLOOD IS GONE. Full stop.

Reactions: Rokodesh
We will be better than expected. RU has Rarely gotten preseason respect. Most of the people doing the rating of this team (including most of us) have not seen the team or talked to the players and coaches and are basing their prognostications on biased opinions based on last years impressions and performance. New staff, new scheme, changed players, new team. Go RU.

The game is mostly played in the trenches and from whats been said here it looks like we have a B1G legit OL and DL this season, to go along with a much improved secondary. The skill positions on offense aside from QB are all solid and dare I say it maybe Laviano is much more improved than people are expecting.

I still would say take Rutgers and the points in game 1. I think we will surprise.
+1. Would say that I'm guardedly optimistic.

We will be better than expected. RU has Rarely gotten preseason respect. Most of the people doing the rating of this team (including most of us) have not seen the team or talked to the players and coaches and are basing their prognostications on biased opinions based on last years impressions and performance. New staff, new scheme, changed players, new team. Go RU.
May I add.New ,and better,results?

Why will we be better?

Why would we have more questions on the offensive line than last year, same for def line, QB and secondary? Be objective, remember the comparison is last year.

Not getting the warm and fuzzies from Ash simply means he doesn't think this team will win the B1G East. It doesn't mean it won't compete and go bowling. 6-6 would be considered a bad year for Ash. Expectations and standards are a lot higher now .... fans cannot seem to grasp this.
Whose expectations are higher now? And higher than when? I'm sure most people's expectations are higher than before we started bowling regularly and I think fans can easily grasp that. But I also think CFB saavy fans understand that Ash & crew will probably need a couple seasons of doing things their way (physical training, football coaching, recruiting) before we can expect to start bowling regularly again. We're not playing the weak-ass schedules we used to play.

Everybody wants us to do really well this season. But I don't expect us to go 6-6 this season and if we do, I'd be extremely happy. I doubt that the RU administration expects us to go 6-6 this season and if it happens, they'll be extremely happy too.

It's kind of hard to judge Ash while he's still mostly working with Flood's recruits instead of his own. It's very hard to know if our player's inability to compete against the better Big Ten teams was due to Flood's ineptness, due to our player's talent level, etc.

ADVERTISEMENT