ADVERTISEMENT

Remaining Transfer Portal Options

GRU23

Senior
Gold Member
Jan 18, 2020
As I am sure a few of us are, we are anxious to see what Rutgers does with that last remaining scholarship option, assuming we use the second one for a walk-on. If we look towards the transfer portal, here are a few names that may be semi-realistic. Unfortunately, none of them are some 6'8 or above PF who can be a good scorer while also able to stay on the floor defensively in the B1G, and very few of those existed in the portal despite some posters constant requests. I have watched at least a highlight reel of all of these guys, some of them game film and some remembering them when watching their teams over this college season, so not purely looking at stats in this analysis. I think all of these guys could have potential to be contributors on next year's team, some as starters and some as bench role players.

BIGS/FORWARDS

Kim Aiken Jr., Arizona, SF/PF, 6'7, Grad Transfer

EvanMiya Available Transfer Ranking: 6
The best rated player remaining I see that isn't being recruited by the blue bloods, he is certainly an interesting player. Played his first three years at Eastern Washington, putting up 13 and 10 one year and was once the Big South DPOY. He can shoot it as well, would expect him to shoot around 32% from 3 if he came here, which is not a bad number for a guy that may be more of a defensive presence. Was a premier transfer last year and ended up at Arizona, of which he played 7 games for and then was phased out of the rotation. I think he would be someone that could compete for that four spot and may be an improved version of Hyatt. Probably my favorite PF option remaining. The last public rumor was he was heading to BYU, but it's been a month since and it seems BYU is looking at other players. If we offered him a starting role I would think we could win this recruitment.

Donnie Tillman, New Mexico State, 6'7, Grad Transfer
EvanMiya Available Transfer Ranking: 7
Another PF option, and actually one we recruited at one point, even having him for a visit when he instead transferred to UNLV. Has had moments of being a very good player, but did not look like himself last year and went from being a lead player of the Aggies the year before to someone also phased out of the rotation. When watching a game, the commentator billed Tillman as the team's best defender, yet I thought he looked pretty slow on film. Has some stretch four ability and has had seasons in solid conferences of being a good player, but last season is a bit worrying and he also has some red flags in terms of his character. Certainly a high risk, high reward guy.

Daniel Akin, Cal Baptist, 6'9, Grad Transfer
EvanMiya Available Transfer Ranking: 18
This time, we have more of a center, despite sometimes being listed as a PF. This guy is athletic and a pretty good defender, but is fairly limited offensively and isn't really big enough to guard B1G centers, but as a backup big he could do enough of the job. Put up 10 and 8 last year, albeit in an average mid major conference. Does not have any stetch big upside, but is one that fits the defensive identity of Rutgers and Pikiell. Originally from England, so perhaps we can use our Yeboah connection to help.

Alex Tchikou, Alabama, 6'11, 3 Years Left
EvanMiya Available Transfer Ranking: 19
Here we have a guy who would be a total upside play, as he has not scored a point in college basketball yet. However, he was a top 70 recruit in 2021 and has athleticism at his size that cannot be teached, along with some highlights that point to him having some upside in terms of skill as well. If we are willing to be patient with him, this guy could be a massive addition down the line. He seems to have at least had contact with many good programs, but maybe Rutgers can throw their hat into the ring and with enough commitment pull him out. Also could probably give us some minutes off the bench and maybe gives us a look at certain points we lack from others on the roster not named Cliff.

GUARDS

CJ Kelly, UMass, 6'5, Grad Transfer

EvanMiya Available Transfer Ranking: 17
Not a guy known for his defense, but is certainly one that can shoot it and provide an offensive spark. Sorry to remind everyone, but he did score 24 against us this year. Again, he isn't much of a defender and that would only further be highlighted in the B1G. Isn't a PG, more of a true SG, and as currently constructed that would probably put him as a bench scorer, something I am unsure if he wants to do in his final college season. Also I am unclear about whether he is eligible to play immediately, as he transfered after the transfer deadline. Still, for a squad that needs some scorers, he could play a role next season, and is somewhat local.

Kevin Miller, Central Michigan, 6'0, 3 Years Left
EvanMiya Available Transfer Ranking: 77
Despite his poor metrics, I really like this guy. While he is very small, 6'0 may even be generous, he is a very skilled guard who can shoot it, dish it and run a pick and roll effectively. He averaged 13.1 PPG, 3.4 RPG, and 4.6 APG, some very solid stats. For being small, he is a tenacious defender, and in a game against Detroit Mercy that I watched, he locked down the number 1 scorer in the NCAA, Antoine Davis. He is a recent transfer, so unsure what schools will be pursuing him and would require a waiver to play this season. There is not really any ties between him and Rutgers, so this may be a random inclusion, but there was mention of Rutgers being open to a sit out transfer by Carino, and maybe this guy would fit the bill. Rutgers did pursue Kyle Lofton, so it isn't unreasonable to think the staff could make an exception for a talented PG. However, also unsure we would take such a player that could conflict with other targets down the line such as Dylan Harper who may want to be the immediate PG in 2024. Still, I would be ecstatic if Rutgers went for this guy, especially if he was able to secure a waiver from the NCAA.

Of course, I wouldn't be surpised if Rutgers isn't looking at any of these guys, but found it fun to do some research on this topic anyways.

Its puzzling that Rutgers has such great difficulty recruiting a 6'8"' or taller power forward that can shoot and rebound.I guess they must be like big defensive tackles that are in high demand but limited in supply.

Reactions: Scarlet83
Davidson's coach just retired. We offered Sam Mennenga when he was a prospect out of New Zealand. But I imagine he'd get a ton of high major attention if he entered the portal.

Reactions: GRU23
None of these are too exciting to reduce the playing time of the players we have invested in the program.

If you told me it was a HS kid in 2023 that could fit the profile like a Mayor Wol and reclassified back to 2022, then maybe. I don't see any names being willing to be a 7th or 8th player.

Davidson's coach just retired. We offered Sam Mennenga when he was a prospect out of New Zealand. But I imagine he'd get a ton of high major attention if he entered the portal.
That situation to me seems like one I wouldn’t be surprised if everyone stayed, especially the stars of the team.

None of these are too exciting to reduce the playing time of the players we have invested in the program.

If you told me it was a HS kid in 2023 that could fit the profile like a Mayor Wol and reclassified back to 2022, then maybe. I don't see any names being willing to be a 7th or 8th player.
That’s fair, but I’d rather use the last scholarship then not. I really like Kevin Miller personally, and if he can’t get a transfer waiver, then that would work with that. Tchikou is also interesting in a similar vain.

That situation to me seems like one I wouldn’t be surprised if everyone stayed, especially the stars of the team.
Yeah, his longtime assistant who happens to be his son is taking over. Doubt we see many if any defections but I can dream.

We have 2 scholarships left I believe. We need to use at least one on a 4/5 player for depth purposes.

We have to be careful going for guys who have a lot of years remaining. If Pike thinks we can do better in 2023 and 2024 he may not bite. He’s probably not looking to bring guys in (understandably) with a high probability of them transferring out before graduating due to lack of PT. Doesn’t that impact APR? I’d expect that anyone we take at this point will be in the position to graduate by next summer even if there is remaining eligibility.

Reactions: Greene Rice FIG
No one cares really cares about APR beyond lip service and backup bowl game entries. At least try to get a big bc if Cliff goes down we’re done, and it’s really not fair to the rest of these kids to be that thin at one position that could end our season. I trust pike has a plan. Leaving two schollies open in this era seems ludicrous to me.

No one cares really cares about APR beyond lip service and backup bowl game entries. At least try to get a big bc if Cliff goes down we’re done, and it’s really not fair to the rest of these kids to be that thin at one position that could end our season. I trust pike has a plan. Leaving two schollies open in this era seems ludicrous to me.
That’s not true. The coaches do care to an extent. This year is going to be crunch time for guys like Oskar. We could have other pre graduation deflections. Pike’s not going want too many of those. I agree the plan will be to fill at least one of those spots, but I think it will go to an Agee type rather than a potential Mensah.

Another addition last night. I watched a Northwestern Illinois game last year and he stood out cause he was like crazy athletic which I didn’t expect from a Northwestern player lol. He is certainly a high upside guy, idk if he is a fit on this team necessarily, but interesting at the very least and he’s from MA

Reactions: rubigtimenow
I like Kim Akin and Daniel Aiken but the former can not play the 5. I guess my choice would Daniel for one year or Mennanga if he is obtainable. I think he may just stay at Davidson unless he is looking for a larger venue. Remember a lot of teams are looking but a lot others are filled to a full scholarship roster.

In the 22 games after Reiber took over as the back up 5…which I am marking as the Hall game.
RGA played 22 minutes and Nathan played 1 non garbage time minute against Purdue.
I didn’t try to figure out how many Oskar played at the 5…but it’s very close to a total of 1 minute per game of PT that we are talking about.
I agree that we do need a body there to help (on the scout team/practice) and in case everyone else gets in foul trouble.
Being a believer that Reiber will take another step forward and Cliff certainly will…we need someone who is strong enough to have a chance of not letting the other center get an automatic 2 points for every possession and is willing to sign up for that role. Can’t imagine there are many guys out there like that.

More importantly….even though we are talking about 1 minute per game, hypothetical fella will have SIGNIFICANTLY MORE MINUTES in the locker room, practice, etc…this should be a person of a net positive in terms of “clubhouse leadership”. It’s still the B1G and we very will likely lose a couple games in a row at some point. It’s still Pikes job to put a stop to that abs keep spirits high. But personally I want this 1 minute a game player to make his job easier not harder.

Reactions: Scangg
Its puzzling that Rutgers has such great difficulty recruiting a 6'8"' or taller power forward that can shoot and rebound.I guess they must be like big defensive tackles that are in high demand but limited in supply.
We had taller PF’s in the past. None of them made it to the dance 3 years in a row though.

Reactions: Scangg
As I am sure a few of us are, we are anxious to see what Rutgers does with that last remaining scholarship option, assuming we use the second one for a walk-on. If we look towards the transfer portal, here are a few names that may be semi-realistic. Unfortunately, none of them are some 6'8 or above PF who can be a good scorer while also able to stay on the floor defensively in the B1G, and very few of those existed in the portal despite some posters constant requests. I have watched at least a highlight reel of all of these guys, some of them game film and some remembering them when watching their teams over this college season, so not purely looking at stats in this analysis. I think all of these guys could have potential to be contributors on next year's team, some as starters and some as bench role players.

BIGS/FORWARDS

Kim Aiken Jr., Arizona, SF/PF, 6'7, Grad Transfer

EvanMiya Available Transfer Ranking: 6
The best rated player remaining I see that isn't being recruited by the blue bloods, he is certainly an interesting player. Played his first three years at Eastern Washington, putting up 13 and 10 one year and was once the Big South DPOY. He can shoot it as well, would expect him to shoot around 32% from 3 if he came here, which is not a bad number for a guy that may be more of a defensive presence. Was a premier transfer last year and ended up at Arizona, of which he played 7 games for and then was phased out of the rotation. I think he would be someone that could compete for that four spot and may be an improved version of Hyatt. Probably my favorite PF option remaining. The last public rumor was he was heading to BYU, but it's been a month since and it seems BYU is looking at other players. If we offered him a starting role I would think we could win this recruitment.

Donnie Tillman, New Mexico State, 6'7, Grad Transfer
EvanMiya Available Transfer Ranking: 7
Another PF option, and actually one we recruited at one point, even having him for a visit when he instead transferred to UNLV. Has had moments of being a very good player, but did not look like himself last year and went from being a lead player of the Aggies the year before to someone also phased out of the rotation. When watching a game, the commentator billed Tillman as the team's best defender, yet I thought he looked pretty slow on film. Has some stretch four ability and has had seasons in solid conferences of being a good player, but last season is a bit worrying and he also has some red flags in terms of his character. Certainly a high risk, high reward guy.

Daniel Akin, Cal Baptist, 6'9, Grad Transfer
EvanMiya Available Transfer Ranking: 18
This time, we have more of a center, despite sometimes being listed as a PF. This guy is athletic and a pretty good defender, but is fairly limited offensively and isn't really big enough to guard B1G centers, but as a backup big he could do enough of the job. Put up 10 and 8 last year, albeit in an average mid major conference. Does not have any stetch big upside, but is one that fits the defensive identity of Rutgers and Pikiell. Originally from England, so perhaps we can use our Yeboah connection to help.

Alex Tchikou, Alabama, 6'11, 3 Years Left
EvanMiya Available Transfer Ranking: 19
Here we have a guy who would be a total upside play, as he has not scored a point in college basketball yet. However, he was a top 70 recruit in 2021 and has athleticism at his size that cannot be teached, along with some highlights that point to him having some upside in terms of skill as well. If we are willing to be patient with him, this guy could be a massive addition down the line. He seems to have at least had contact with many good programs, but maybe Rutgers can throw their hat into the ring and with enough commitment pull him out. Also could probably give us some minutes off the bench and maybe gives us a look at certain points we lack from others on the roster not named Cliff.

GUARDS

CJ Kelly, UMass, 6'5, Grad Transfer

EvanMiya Available Transfer Ranking: 17
Not a guy known for his defense, but is certainly one that can shoot it and provide an offensive spark. Sorry to remind everyone, but he did score 24 against us this year. Again, he isn't much of a defender and that would only further be highlighted in the B1G. Isn't a PG, more of a true SG, and as currently constructed that would probably put him as a bench scorer, something I am unsure if he wants to do in his final college season. Also I am unclear about whether he is eligible to play immediately, as he transfered after the transfer deadline. Still, for a squad that needs some scorers, he could play a role next season, and is somewhat local.

Kevin Miller, Central Michigan, 6'0, 3 Years Left
EvanMiya Available Transfer Ranking: 77
Despite his poor metrics, I really like this guy. While he is very small, 6'0 may even be generous, he is a very skilled guard who can shoot it, dish it and run a pick and roll effectively. He averaged 13.1 PPG, 3.4 RPG, and 4.6 APG, some very solid stats. For being small, he is a tenacious defender, and in a game against Detroit Mercy that I watched, he locked down the number 1 scorer in the NCAA, Antoine Davis. He is a recent transfer, so unsure what schools will be pursuing him and would require a waiver to play this season. There is not really any ties between him and Rutgers, so this may be a random inclusion, but there was mention of Rutgers being open to a sit out transfer by Carino, and maybe this guy would fit the bill. Rutgers did pursue Kyle Lofton, so it isn't unreasonable to think the staff could make an exception for a talented PG. However, also unsure we would take such a player that could conflict with other targets down the line such as Dylan Harper who may want to be the immediate PG in 2024. Still, I would be ecstatic if Rutgers went for this guy, especially if he was able to secure a waiver from the NCAA.

Of course, I wouldn't be surpised if Rutgers isn't looking at any of these guys, but found it fun to do some research on this topic anyways.
Is Donnie Tillman related to Clarenece?

MO

Recent addition to portal, one from Stony Brook, so bit of a Pike connection there. Interested to see if we pursue

The kid wasn’t even at Stonybrook until 2020 (Covid year). He played for Manhattan before that.

Pike isn't planning on leaving 2 scholarships open. He is looking for a 4/5.

Pike isn't planning on leaving 2 scholarships open. He is looking for a 4/5.
He’s looking, but my guess is (unless a slam dunk pops up) he’s not going to take a major reach JUCO type / transfer with 3 years of eligibility (and nowhere close to earning a degree) just to take someone. If it’s a big time reach to fill the roster, I predict it’ll be someone who can graduate after the season.

Reactions: kcg88
He’s looking, but my guess is (unless a slam dunk pops up) he’s not going to take a major reach JUCO type / transfer with 3 years of eligibility (and nowhere close to earning a degree) just to take someone. If it’s a big time reach to fill the roster, I predict it’ll be someone who can graduate after the season.
I agree and hope so. Need open scholarships with recruiting on the up

There's probably still value in telling a guy "I coached there and I know what it takes to translate success from there to the Big Ten." That said this player was just a guy until last season. I'd be skeptical of his late breakout being sustainable in a move upwards.

I know we looked at an Israeli kid but he turned pro. Know we may have checked out kid from England that is presently in USA. It was being discussed don’t know if it happened. We want a grad transfer so we can bring in multi year players for 2023. Rhody picked up a multi year insider from Alabama. He was a 4 star named Alex Tchikou that did not see the floor there.

Last edited:
I'd have some yellow flags on players not scooped up yet....unless they just put themselves in the portal.

As said above we need to be very careful here....this is like the SAT where you get points off for putting the wrong answer.

I'd have some yellow flags on players not scooped up yet....unless they just put themselves in the portal.

As said above we need to be very careful here....this is like the SAT where you get points off for putting the wrong answer.
If it's a one and done the risk isn't that big.

If it's a one and done the risk isn't that big.
Correct - Pike is not worried about chemistry anymore. Whoever is brought in at this point won’t be expecting starter minutes.

The issue is the years of eligibility. Pike is going to want someone who can leave no strings attached with a Rutgers diploma after the season. It’s untrue that APR doesn’t matter at all. When your talking about a third string back up to fill a roster it matters a ton. If anything, Pike wants to enhance our academic standing with these types of late additions - he’s certainly not looking to risk compromising it.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT