ADVERTISEMENT

Reminder: This is a 5-Yr. Construction Project

Who says its a five year project. I know Ash is not telling himself that. At the end of year 3 if he has not shown significant progress he will not get a raise and will be a lame duck. He is not getting an extension unless he shows improvement and that frankly has to happen to some discernible level this year.

There is not a program that is a 5 year rebuild in the country. Rutgers with its talent pool and B1G membership for sure isn't the exception.
Spot on.
Years 2-3 must show improvement.
As must be Years 3 to 4.
If not , he is toast.
Not building relationships with NJ programs is not helping.

It's a rebuild because of what was left for him when he took over (or lack there of). Flood did not have a rebuild. Ash does. That changes expectations. Hes off to a great start off the field and so is the program itself. He has a big hole to climb out of and realistically he's without a rope to pull himself until year 3.

Right! Flood did not have a rebuild...but he did have a debuild.

He's gone after this year with 3 wins
Coach Ash will get four years whether you like it or not. Any new coach coming into a total rebuild needs to get four years to get his own recruits in and his program in place and running. We're not the Bucs or 49'ers to be firing coaches every year or two. That's just the reality of college football and the only reason you can't seem to grasp it is your illogical hatred for our coach.

This year I'm just looking for proof of concept. An offense that can move the ball down the field, improving on special teams, keeping the losses closer against the big guns. We will have to see how the holes on both lines are filled, but this is a young team and there's a lot more to look forward to than the Ash haters believe.

One sure way to stay in last place is to fire your head coach every 2-3 years, new sytem, roster reset, culture change, yada, yada, yada. I spend a lot of time in the car so I've started listening to audible. There's a book that presents data that firing your coach is a sure way to set the program back. The book is called "This Is Your Brain On Sports" by L. Jon Wertheim. It also talks about rivalries which I found interesting. Anyway as long as Ash can recruit, and I'm not talking top 25 classes, but top 40 classes, and there is tangible improvement from year to year you're better served to stick with him.

Just like any profession coaches learn and get better with experience. In retrospect don't you think Cleveland wishes they would have held onto Belicheck?

Spot-on but don't tell the Never-Ashers, as they put full blame on him and his staff, not the disaster created by the previous regime despite many of us predicting them impending issues, and disaster, years ago.
I'm still trying to wonder how come The Grand Exaultant One, Greg Schiano, always get a pass on putting Rutgers in the position to hire the previous coach. Rutgers never had a chance when GS selfishly left Rutgers late in the offseason to hire a competent coach or late in the recruiting season for Rutgers to freak out and hire someone for the worst possible short term solution.

Seems like a Catch 22 where you need recruits to win, but the good ones want to go to winning programs.
But the thing is, a guy like Ash who has prepared himself his whole life for this opportunity certainly knows this.
There's probably a chapter in his notebook titled, "How to recruit after you've lost 78-0 on national TV?"
The answer is surround yourself with the best staff you can, and work your butt off.
To answer the question of improvement over the next few years, I just look at the future QB room, the most important room in the house. Lewis, Chatman, Chambers. Led by Kill. Have we had a potentially more exciting group, ever?

Reactions: Scarlet83
This year I'm just looking for proof of concept. An offense that can move the ball down the field, improving on special teams, keeping the losses closer against the big guns. We will have to see how the holes on both lines are filled, but this is a young team and there's a lot more to look forward to than the Ash haters believe.

EXACTLY! good W-L is better than bad W-L ... but upward trajectory is paramount - quality of play - systematic play - getting the offense to function as a unified synchronized machine - all are critical ... finishing out games - and finishing them out with intensity ... and then being able to turn around & launch into the next week's game with even greater power, enthusiasm and crispness will be strong indicators of progress.

In terms of attitude & grit - Ideally Rutgers captures a bit of something like the sort of battling attitude / aura that Navy has - powerhouse teams feel that they can beat Navy - but they don't enjoy it at all because it is a rock fight and even if they win they are banged bruised up for a few weeks. So - for year 2 & 3 RU may not knock of any powerhouses - but it would be great if they gave every single one of the "Big Boys" such a pounding that it left them drained & impacted for weeks - and really dreading the next meeting.

Reactions: RUTGERZ_R00LZ
I'm still trying to wonder how come The Grand Exaultant One, Greg Schiano, always get a pass on putting Rutgers in the position to hire the previous coach. Rutgers never had a chance when GS selfishly left Rutgers late in the offseason to hire a competent coach or late in the recruiting season for Rutgers to freak out and hire someone for the worst possible short term solution.

I don't give him a pass on that - never have - that was a shit move for sure BUT one that EVERY last one of us here would have made if given the opportunity. Let's be real here lol!

Reactions: BlockR and MoobyCow
Who says its a five year project. I know Ash is not telling himself that. At the end of year 3 if he has not shown significant progress he will not get a raise and will be a lame duck. He is not getting an extension unless he shows improvement and that frankly has to happen to some discernible level this year.

There is not a program that is a 5 year rebuild in the country. Rutgers with its talent pool and B1G membership for sure isn't the exception.
Any first-time head coach who shows up at Rutgers thinking it's a three-year turnaround is seriously delusional.

Plenty of talent? Yes. Financial support commensurate with conference peer institutions? Not remotely.

What I want to see this year:

1) fewer blowouts and more competitive games
2) players who show no sign of quitting.. good team spirit
3) some sign that in some games.. our coaches are smarter than the other team's coaches
4) some sign on offense that we have practiced the plays
5) some sign on offense that we call plays that can work (yeah, they can still go nowhere due to superior play on the other side.. but some sign that they had a chance to work)
6) some sign on offense that we are trying for 1st down yardage on 3rd and whatever.. some sign that we know when we are in 4 down territory.. before 4th down
7) improved tackling
8) improved ability to pressure the QB
9) some sign from the ADs office that we don't want Yankee Stadium games.. except in a bowl game.

Yeah.. I want to see all of those boxes checked off. Wins and losses matter less to me. You first have to get more competitive before you can win. If we show we are more competitive.. it will be easier to get players and recruits to see that we might win.. if they put in a full effort.. or sign with Rutgers.

I think he looks to leave at end of year if he doesn't win more than 4 games or goes 0-fer in the Big. He would not want to sully his rep. It would be the smart play on his part imho

A coach quitting after your two of rebuild because they didn't win more would be career suicide. No one would hire him again.

I don't give him a pass on that - never have - that was a shit move for sure BUT one that EVERY last one of us here would have made if given the opportunity. Let's be real here lol!
He doesn't get a pass, but Pernetti was hamstrung hiring his replacement due to the administration drastically limiting what the salary could be. And you can't blame Schiano for jumping at the chance to take an upper echelon job in his profession.

He doesn't get a pass, but Pernetti was hamstrung hiring his replacement due to the administration drastically limiting what the salary could be. And you can't blame Schiano for jumping at the chance to take an upper echelon job in his profession.
Schiano did wonders here.

Schiano turned down jobs at Michigan and Miami to stay here.

Yeah, he took an NFL job AFTER all the raids by the ACC and ESPN on the big East.. weakening the conference and making the Rutgers job a worse job than when he started.

Schiano is at least partially responsible for Rutgers getting that Big Ten invite. A lot of things had to be in place for that invite to happen.. Schiano was at least partially responsible for some of those things. Thus he gets a "pass" for doing what every one of use would have done in taking that NFL job.

You can not criticize Schiano for taking an NFL job. Saban, Spurrier, Holtz, Carroll...

Schiano is "partially responsible"for "some of those things" getting RU the B1G invite? Besides TV sets he is the primary reason!

I'm adamant you don't need wins.
Fans are actually smart, they get called out on this board for stupidity constantly, but the reality is...we're all smart enough to see progress and hope, even in defeat.

Case in point, transport yourself back to the first time you saw Brian Leonard touch the football, or Ray Rice, or Courtney Green hit somebody...that's all you need.

When is the last time you left the stadium saying holy shite, what a player...and that player was on Rutgers.
Give me some players to watch, I'll accept loses, till they're not loses.
FYI..we have possibly the most exciting, explosive player in the country...give us a few more

Reactions: czxqa
It's hard to blame an employee when the organization he works for in not in a position to hire a competent replacement.

You can not criticize Schiano for taking an NFL job. Saban, Spurrier, Holtz, Carroll...

Schiano is "partially responsible"for "some of those things" getting RU the B1G invite? Besides TV sets he is the primary reason!
2003 is when Schiano completely won me over. We were 4-4 playing at UCONN and Tres Moses made a big mistake that ended up losing the game. Schiano didn't storm around the sidelines fuming over how this game was thrown away.. no.. he immediately went to comfort Tres Moses. We seemed more competitive than prior years and we knew the coach had heart. We also knew he did have a "dog house" and his micro-managing was annoying at times... but in that moment we saw what he really was... what he cared about... his players. We ended 5-7 and the following year a car accident with a drunk driver at homecoming probably cost us a bowl bid.. but in 2005 we'd get that first bowl in forever. Schiano has earned the "slack" people give him for leaving us as he did.

Reactions: ATIOH
2003 is when Schiano completely won me over. We were 4-4 playing at UCONN and Tres Moses made a big mistake that ended up losing the game. Schiano didn't storm around the sidelines fuming over how this game was thrown away.. no.. he immediately went to comfort Tres Moses. We seemed more competitive than prior years and we knew the coach had heart. We also knew he did have a "dog house" and his micro-managing was annoying at times... but in that moment we saw what he really was... what he cared about... his players. We ended 5-7 and the following year a car accident with a drunk driver at homecoming probably cost us a bowl bid.. but in 2005 we'd get that first bowl in forever. Schiano has earned the "slack" people give him for leaving us as he did.
You also saw Brian Leonard on that sunny cold day become a star

I will NEVER blame Schiano for leaving for the NFL. If Schiano left in December or January, that would've given Rutgers a legit chance to get the REAL candidates who were available that year. But for him to leave Rutgers in a lurch in February set this program back more than anyone would've predicted back then.

a good AD allways has a list and a plan,of at least three names at all times..

I'd like to qualify the timeline of Ash's leash with the following cavit. If recruiting gets worse and worse each year, he's gone after 3 or 4.

So far, so good, in MY opinion. Still has a ways to go though to get us to even mid-B1G, like we were year 1.

Rutgers did try but they all turn us down.. but Tim should had kept trying. Flood should had never ever been named the full time HC.

Full-Time ... but should have been "interim" - but in either case I always felt that there should have been a sit-down with Flood near end of first season - even though the W-L record was decent and would not have warranted a traditional "Firing & a kick to the curb" - but graciously praise the desire & effort in a tough spot - but in recognition of the move up into the B1G - make a move to a coach with a more robust CV - generously move Flood into an Assistant-AD slot for added experience - and "to be instrumental in helping Rutgers cover the added demands of the higher level of competition... blah, blah "
- but also say to Flood that it would be understood if he chose to seek a coaching role elsewhere.

Any first-time head coach who shows up at Rutgers thinking it's a three-year turnaround is seriously delusional.

Plenty of talent? Yes. Financial support commensurate with conference peer institutions? Not remotely.
I doubt that most fans would say Rutgers has plenty of talent or was the 2-10 record a mirage?

Reactions: MoobyCow
No sane AD is firing a coach after 2 years outside of scandal. 3 years is possible, however, that I agree with. Bet most people were ready to run Schiano out on a rail too after his first few years.

Because a sane AD would know that no coach that is any good would take the job if his predecessor is let go after two years coming into a major rebuild.

Reactions: bigmatt718
not true..Schiano started bringing in Fla recruits with talent,and creating a buzz for the program in year number #3,by year four you could see the talent and program was moving upwards..those sitting in the stands that day in the stadium knew it was happening.
2004 Schiano Year#4 beating Michigan State..
https://www.onthebanks.com/2015/10/...gan-state-spartans-brian-leonard-greg-schiano

The first time real hope and real expectations were placed on the Rutgers football program in the modern era was 2004. Greg Schiano was entering his fourth season as head coach and was coming off a 5-7 season the year before. Rutgers had equaled five wins just three times in the previous fifteen seasons, and eclipsed that win total only once. Chop nation was in full "drinking the kool-aid" mode with Schiano. At this point, expectations heading into the 2004 season were that we would finally make a bowl game. I repeat, MAKE A BOWL GAME! That was like making the Super Bowl for Rutgers football back then. Which was only a decade ago, before Rutgers went to nine bowl games in the last ten season

Year 3 5-7 2-5 in conference
Year 4 4-7 1-5 in conference

We need much, much improved talent on the OL & DL to be competitive in the B1G. Forget the skill positions - it starts there. Go back and watch the Mich game from 2016 - we snapped the ball and they literally ran into our backfield any time they wanted. Without an OL and DL, it doesn't matter what talent we bring in at the skill positions.

Reactions: zappaa
I will NEVER blame Schiano for leaving for the NFL. If Schiano left in December or January, that would've given Rutgers a legit chance to get the REAL candidates who were available that year. But for him to leave Rutgers in a lurch in February set this program back more than anyone would've predicted back then.

He had no control over when he got hired.

you guys can be too critical at times. Did schiano have en elite team in 2006? yes, and that team could have been the best team in the country based on the future nfl talent it had. was it schianos fault that our kid dropped the winning score in the endzone? no. Flood should have hed a big east title and orange bowl in his resume . who do we blame for the dropped pass against Louisville? The point is we have recruited at an elite level here in the past. don't look now but it is happening again....the quality of recruit coming in is really excellent. Ash said in his interview that we are not that far away from turning this around, I agree with him. this will be a vastly improved team this year. give this coach some breathing room.

Reactions: czxqa
you guys can be too critical at times. Did schiano have en elite team in 2006? yes, and that team could have been the best team in the country based on the future nfl talent it had. was it schianos fault that our kid dropped the winning score in the endzone? no. Flood should have hed a big east title and orange bowl in his resume . who do we blame for the dropped pass against Louisville? The point is we have recruited at an elite level here in the past. don't look now but it is happening again....the quality of recruit coming in is really excellent. Ash said in his interview that we are not that far away from turning this around, I agree with him. this will be a vastly improved team this year. give this coach some breathing room.
+1

Better execution at the end of the year by guys around the block and the history is a little different around here.

Rutgers did try but they all turn us down.. but Tim should had kept trying. Flood should had never ever been named the full time HC.

In hindsight he should have made Flood the interim coach and continued the search. Unfortunately, or fortunately, we were trying to close out the most impressive recruiting class in Rutgers history.

ADVERTISEMENT