ADVERTISEMENT

Reminder: This is a 5-Yr. Construction Project

I doubt that most fans would say Rutgers has plenty of talent or was the 2-10 record a mirage?

While I wouldn't say we had/have a ton of talent, we weren't far away from 5-6 wins last year. Improved QB play, special teams, and ditching the "hurry up 3 and out" offense should greatly improve the team. Not being able to kick a 40 yard FG because our kicker didn't have that range was crippling as well. Some simple fixes and maybe we beat Minnesota, Iowa, Illinois, and maybe are in the games vs Indiana and Maryland.

In hindsight he should have made Flood the interim coach and continued the search. Unfortunately, or fortunately, we were trying to close out the most impressive recruiting class in Rutgers history.
Honestly, I don't believe Tim ever intended to keep Flood long term. Had he not been made the scapegoat for the Rice scandal, he would have been able to get rid of Flood the same year Julie tried to and was unable to gather the donors behind her.

While I wouldn't say we had/have a ton of talent, we weren't far away from 5-6 wins last year. Improved QB play, special teams, and ditching the "hurry up 3 and out" offense should greatly improve the team. Not being able to kick a 40 yard FG because our kicker didn't have that range was crippling as well. Some simple fixes and maybe we beat Minnesota, Iowa, Illinois, and maybe are in the games vs Indiana and Maryland.

Sorry, but IMO this post is an example of an RU FB fan that has been sniffing too much ether.

With the exception of a competitive game vs Minny on the road, last season was an absolute disaster from a competitive standpoint. 2-10 teams that perform the way we did should not be confused with teams that could win 5-6 games. Last season was painful to watch, with the exception of the game vs Minny.

Reactions: RUJMM78
I'll give you my take as a HS coach. Ash seems like a solid cut-no-corners program builder but his long term challenges are significant. He's doing things the right way and he's got a few stars in his coaching staff like Blazek but I'm not sure the entire staff is BiG-ready. I would not be surprised if there's a new DC come next January.
That being said, there's no reason why he shouldn't win 3 games next year and possibly win 5-6 games in 2018 when you look at that schedule. The problem is that NJ has become a "show me state". Coaches want to see RU get better on the field (including competitive games against PSU, UM, OSU and MSU) and in the facilities and academic support arms race before they encourage their 4 star players to stay home at RU over PSU and Michigan.

Flood was a S-show and in-state coaches knew that the program had a lot of bad character kids that Flood took in. College football locker rooms aren't the kindest places in the world but you didn't necessarily wanted to send your good kids into a bad situation. That stain is coming off the RU program but kids, their parents and their coaches want to see positive on-field changes and a build up (to BiG level) of facilities. Again, Ash seems like a character guy. His challenge is to show incremental improvement in the next 2 years or it'll be insurmountable for him when it comes to top NJ recruiting.

Sorry, but IMO this post is an example of an RU FB fan that has been sniffing too much ether.

With the exception of a competitive game vs Minny on the road, last season was an absolute disaster from a competitive standpoint. 2-10 teams that perform the way we did should not be confused with teams that could win 5-6 games. Last season was painful to watch, with the exception of the game vs Minny.

Of course last year was an absolute disaster and I'm not saying we weren't terrible. I am saying that even with us being that terrible, we weren't far from 5 wins.

Could we not have won Iowa? That game was very competitive. Even with Grant getting hurt and us getting stuffed 1st and goal from the 3.

Illinois we turned the ball over like a zillion times, several in the opposing teams zone. Fumble on Illinois 8yd line, Fumble on Illinois 31yd line, Pick 6 from the Illinois 25yd line....and turnovers on down from the Illinois 27, 22, and 46yd line. That game was very winnable.

Minnesota you conceded as being in it and having a very good shot to win.

I'll give you my take as a HS coach. Ash seems like a solid cut-no-corners program builder but his long term challenges are significant. He's doing things the right way and he's got a few stars in his coaching staff like Blazek but I'm not sure the entire staff is BiG-ready. I would not be surprised if there's a new DC come next January.
That being said, there's no reason why he shouldn't win 3 games next year and possibly win 5-6 games in 2018 when you look at that schedule. The problem is that NJ has become a "show me state". Coaches want to see RU get better on the field (including competitive games against PSU, UM, OSU and MSU) and in the facilities and academic support arms race before they encourage their 4 star players to stay home at RU over PSU and Michigan.

Flood was a S-show and in-state coaches knew that the program had a lot of bad character kids that Flood took in. College football locker rooms aren't the kindest places in the world but you didn't necessarily wanted to send your good kids into a bad situation. That stain is coming off the RU program but kids, their parents and their coaches want to see positive on-field changes and a build up (to BiG level) of facilities. Again, Ash seems like a character guy. His challenge is to show incremental improvement in the next 2 years or it'll be insurmountable for him when it comes to top NJ recruiting.

Appreciate that insight. As far as the DC goes....if I'm Ash I am fine with it being a non-superstar coach since Ash likely runs that side of the ball anyway. Good way to save money for the other side of the ball is by having someone you can trust to run your defense when you are preoccupied with HC things. The DC doesn't have to be a guru per se, just an implementer.

ADVERTISEMENT