ADVERTISEMENT

Report: 6 schools to be notified of serious violations

RUDave_01

Senior
Gold Member
Dec 8, 2002
I saw this article a couple of days ago, but haven't seen any chatter on it. My guess is there will be minor sanctions (restrictions in the recruiting process) placed on schools as a result and would be surprised if the hammer fell on any blue blood... I guess we'll see soon enough.

Oregon is mentioned in the article... if they are tagged with significant penalties, I'll definitely experience some schadenfreude.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-b...21/6-schools-notified-serious-ncaa-violations

It is rare for anyone at the NCAA to comment publicly about an ongoing investigation. I hope that they are sending a message that they are serious. Having said that, nobody is getting the death penalty like the SMU football program did.

Reactions: silkcitypirate
It is rare for anyone at the NCAA to comment publicly about an ongoing investigation. I hope that they are sending a message that they are serious. Having said that, nobody is getting the death penalty like the SMU football program did.

Not in this day and age.

If there was one school that would get the Death Penalty it would be us. Assuming we actually really cheated.

Reactions: RUSK97
I agree Russ... I don't expect the death penalty, but maybe a reduction in scholarships for a few years (even that doesn't hurt too much since teams don't play all scholarship players in their regular rotation) or a postseason ban for a year or two would be enough to show they are serious.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Oregon has too much Nike money to suffer any non-monetary penalties. Those penalties are for schools like Rutgers. The NCAA is a sham and is ONLY about money.

The NCAA is all bark and no bite. The investigation will go on for 3 or 4 years. The schools will lawyer up and the NCAA will back down. This has been proven from recent history. The NCAA has taught everyone
1. It pays to cheat.
2. If caught Lawyer up
3. Make sure you have deep pockets to pay for those lawyers.

Rumors there’s at least one Adidas school involved. Don’t know if there’s any reason to believe the claim.

It is rare for anyone at the NCAA to comment publicly about an ongoing investigation....
th

Actually it makes sense not to comment on an ongoing investigation when you think about it.

In the past when they issue a NOA the NCAA doesn't put out a press release. It is the school that announces they're cooperating with a NCAA investigation. Often as a result of a FOI request.

Unless the school is Louisville.

Which is why cheating pays today. Cost - benefit analysis favors cheating and cover ups.

Reactions: ScarletKid2008
Our programs at Maryland got hit with some self-reportedish violations and penalties:

"The men’s violations are noted to have occurred from July 2017 until February 2018, when the Director of Player Personnel at the time, Matt Brady, helped coach a student-athlete with his shooting form 10 times in a three-month period. He admitted during an investigation that he knew the assistance was against NCAA rules, and conducted the sessions without the knowledge of the coaching staff. The coaching also continued into team practices, as Brady gave scouting reports to the team during film study, which the coaching staff claims it did not realize was a violation."

"Brenda Frese and her staff agreed that between May 2015 and April 2018, the program used 17 recruiting booklets that included personalized covers, but claimed that they did not know such a tactic was a violation of NCAA rules. It was also noted that former assistant coach Bett Shelby, who did not have her contract renewed after the 2017-18 season, sent out 150 personalized puzzles to recruits, which was also a violation of NCAA rules."

Reactions: ScarletteK80
Our programs at Maryland got hit with some self-reportedish violations and penalties:

"The men’s violations are noted to have occurred from July 2017 until February 2018, when the Director of Player Personnel at the time, Matt Brady, helped coach a student-athlete with his shooting form 10 times in a three-month period. He admitted during an investigation that he knew the assistance was against NCAA rules, and conducted the sessions without the knowledge of the coaching staff. The coaching also continued into team practices, as Brady gave scouting reports to the team during film study, which the coaching staff claims it did not realize was a violation."

"Brenda Frese and her staff agreed that between May 2015 and April 2018, the program used 17 recruiting booklets that included personalized covers, but claimed that they did not know such a tactic was a violation of NCAA rules. It was also noted that former assistant coach Bett Shelby, who did not have her contract renewed after the 2017-18 season, sent out 150 personalized puzzles to recruits, which was also a violation of NCAA rules."
It is dumb that Matt Brady got a shot-cause penalty for that. Maryland's lawyers should fight that but they won't. Maryland will roll over unfortunately.

Actually it makes sense not to comment on an ongoing investigation when you think about it.

In the past when they issue a NOA the NCAA doesn't put out a press release. It is the school that announces they're cooperating with a NCAA investigation. Often as a result of a FOI request.

Unless the school is Louisville.
Exactly what has Louisville been hit with by the NCAA since they were outed by the FBI investigation?

Reactions: ScarletKid2008
Exactly what has Louisville been hit with by the NCAA since they were outed by the FBI investigation?
Nothing yet.

No school has even received a notice of allegations yet. Which is what this thread was about; that notice of allegations are coming in August for at least six schools.

My point about Louisville was that in the past they didn't just roll over, even if they got a FOI request. They somehow managed to fight that tooth & Nail

Nothing yet.

No school has even received a notice of allegations yet. Which is what this thread was about; that notice of allegations are coming in August for at least six schools.

My point about Louisville was that in the past they didn't just roll over, even if they got a FOI request. They somehow managed to fight that tooth & Nail
Ah, gotcha. Thought so, but I haven’t been following the story so close.

Lol ok I love Dick Vitale as a college bball legend and his enthusiasm and don't hate him at all even though I completely get why people do.... butttt he can't actually think that some of the schools he clearly absolutely freaking loves don't play in that arena can he?

"The Brenda" is as crooked as can be. Just stole a recruit out our backyard this year from Franklin. Long believed to be a shady wench, can't stand her.

Lol ok I love Dick Vitale as a college bball legend and his enthusiasm and don't hate him at all even though I completely get why people do.... butttt he can't actually think that some of the schools he clearly absolutely freaking loves don't play in that arena can he?
I think so. I am pretty sure that he still believes that Rick Pitino did nothing wrong

Reactions: Scangg
That recruit she stole is daughter of Lance Miller, who played with Murdock in high school. Would love to know if she had any interest in RU because of that situation. Saw Miller play in high school because I am from Bridgewater.

Reactions: ScarletteK80
It would be kinda funny if Oregon got a postseason ban for the 2020/2021 season.
Wouldn’t matter. If they do get banned they’ll probably just let any players transfer immediately without penalty or restriction so Omoruyi would go somewhere else.

That recruit she stole is daughter of Lance Miller, who played with Murdock in high school. Would love to know if she had any interest in RU because of that situation. Saw Miller play in high school because I am from Bridgewater.
Meh, so the plot thickens, now I really smell a rat!

"The Brenda" is as crooked as can be. Just stole a recruit out our backyard this year from Franklin. Long believed to be a shady wench, can't stand her.
Not that I follow women's basketball but how did Brenda Frese steal this recruit?

Here you go. Also, I moved to Franklin/Somerset a couple of years ago, and am real close to the HS. A couple of folks where I live work at the HS, and told me some stories. CVS was at one of the games along with Frese showing up. Mary Coyle coach at Rutgers prep also knows a lot of things.
http://highschoolsports.nj.com/news...-miller-makes-non-binding-college-commitment/
Note, she also got Faith Masonius from NJ, who was also recruited I believe.
There was a thread on this I'll look for as well.
Previous thread started by Shields
https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/threads/diamond-miller.141610/

Last edited:
Not that I follow women's basketball but how did Brenda Frese steal this recruit?

I think the confusion is over the word "steal." It appears that one poster resents a coach being able to come into New Jersey and recruit the best players away from CVS, while another poster dislikes said coach and is sure she is doing something illicit to accomplish this.

I think the confusion is over the word "steal." It appears that one poster resents a coach being able to come into New Jersey and recruit the best players away from CVS, while another poster dislikes said coach and is sure she is doing something illicit to accomplish this.
Gotcha. I asked someone who follows WBB & she said that Frese still recruits well but ever since one of her assistants left to take the Louisville head coach job her team has not been able to get the the NCAA Tournament finals.

And that, is all I care to talk about WBB for the next 6 months...at least.

I will believe any major punishments when I see them. I will be shocked. The NCAA doesn't usually come down hard on the major teams.

Looks like Auburn is expecting to receive one of these soon

They hired Bruce Pearl. I have no idea if he is involved at all. You have a school in trouble and willing to hire a guy with a bad past....

Auburn really needs to get the entire athletic department shut down if they find things. Hiring Pearl, paying Newton, and now this. It is abundantly clear Auburn has no dire to follow rules.

If Penn State didn’t get shut down for at least ten years, then no one will ever get the death penalty again. They make North Carolina and Baylor look like nothing.

I will believe any major punishments when I see them. I will be shocked. The NCAA doesn't usually come down hard on the major teams.

I have a lot of NC State friends, and they expect the hammer. They have their own version of "RutgersScrew." They call it "NC STATE S***".

I have a lot of NC State friends, and they expect the hammer. They have their own version of "RutgersScrew." They call it "NC STATE S***".
I can only imagine. They certainly are the redheaded step child to Carolina and Duke in their neighborhood

Reactions: Scangg
ADVERTISEMENT