ADVERTISEMENT

Reports that Urban Meyer lied about not knowing abuse allegations against assistant / Now On Leave

We are... Er......... They are doomed!

He might actually get fired. Which will make the team take will take it out on Rutgers when we meet.

More damaging info on the full report linked at the end of the Deadspin article, .

From that it looks like Meyer's yes men tried to get Smith's ex-wife to drop charges against him when Smith and Meyer where at Florida in 2009

Urban Meyer basically handpicked our current coach. We should show him support .
He raved about ash’s character and coaching ability and encouraged ash to take this job at Rutgers.

Reactions: LinDan516
From what I see, his wife clearly might have known. The inference would be, his wife must have told him. But without something directly to Urban, I doubt he gets canned.

Reactions: 17Q66
Really hope this wasn't known by any of the staff...

Slap Urban' s hand and move on. Too much of this kind of stuff being reported anymore. A domestic issue, not a Sandusky issue. Wife should have reported him to police.

Wow- seriously?

BTW- let's not act like UM is some saint...back in his Fla days with AH are far from clean...

Reactions: thegock
Nothing to see here makeup artist doing what they do. Ever seen a movie?

Urban Meyer basically handpicked our current coach. We should show him support .
He raved about ash’s character and coaching ability and encouraged ash to take this job at Rutgers.

And Bill Walsh did the same for Terry Shea...just because a great coach gives someone their blessing, doesn't mean they'll be equally as good.

I'd be shocked if he was fired. Thinking he gets suspended for the first game of the year at most.
This. Plus sensitivity training and a sizable donation to some women’s shelter in Columbus.

From what I see, his wife clearly might have known. The inference would be, his wife must have told him. But without something directly to Urban, I doubt he gets canned.

Might??????????? Did you read the texts? Not only did she knew she was texting the wife that was being abuse about it. Also in the same texts, they both discuss Urban's reaction to it. It is very clear and black and white here.

Reactions: rurichdog
She seems credible in the video and basically says everyone she told, told her to keep quiet so he didn't get fired, including her parents! Father of year!

That being said, i think its going to take a lot more than that to get Urb fired.

And Bill Walsh did the same for Terry Shea...just because a great coach gives someone their blessing, doesn't mean they'll be equally as good.
not to mention just because a coach was a great assistant (which Shea proved throughout his long career in college and the NFL) doesn't mean he'll cut it as a head coach or college recruiter.

I haven't read much on this, but on the surface, do we actually know if Urban's wife told him about the allegations (not every spouse shares everything) and what, exactly, is Urban's responsibility here? I have a group of ~20 and have had groups of up to 50 and I would not feel responsible for doing something, professionally, if I found out about a situation like this (I'm sure I'd be sympathetic and try to help, but I don't think I'd have any role in disciplining/firing an employee of mine over allegations).

Based on my experience and conversations with others at large companies, companies only terminate based on convictions, not allegations. In fact, we had someone (not in my group) who was alleged to have been involved in some fairly unsavory activities, but it wasn't until that person was convicted that the person was terminated. A good friend had something similar, where the allegations/charges were murder, but they were unable to fire until convicted. I'd imagine it's probably even harder to discipline or fire someone, based on allegations, who works for a public entity, like a State University.

As an aside, this is NOT the JoePa situation, where the alleged crimes occurred in the workplace and on the employer's property, where the manager is absolutely required to escalate the issues to the appropriate level and take disciplinary actions, where appropriate (very appropriate in that case, obviously).

Reactions: newell138
if PSU didn't get a death penalty, nothing will happen to Urban.

huh? not sure what one has to do with the other.

Beyond knowing about it and lying about knowing, he also told the coach to get another job months before he was fired.

If you follow the full timeline it is a lot worse than some people here are trying to make it out to be.

Urban's wife is also an OSU employee, so we have some Title IX issues at play here. I'm starting to think there's a real chance Urban doesn't survive this.

Reactions: rurichdog
Wait, has anyone asked if Tom Herman's wife or even Coach Ash's wife knew and told them? Would this throw scrutiny in the direction of CA?

I haven't read much on this, but on the surface, do we actually know if Urban's wife told him about the allegations (not every spouse shares everything) and what, exactly, is Urban's responsibility here? I have a group of ~20 and have had groups of up to 50 and I would not feel responsible for doing something, professionally, if I found out about a situation like this (I'm sure I'd be sympathetic and try to help, but I don't think I'd have any role in disciplining/firing an employee of mine over allegations).

Based on my experience and conversations with others at large companies, companies only terminate based on convictions, not allegations. In fact, we had someone (not in my group) who was alleged to have been involved in some fairly unsavory activities, but it wasn't until that person was convicted that the person was terminated. A good friend had something similar, where the allegations/charges were murder, but they were unable to fire until convicted. I'd imagine it's probably even harder to discipline or fire someone, based on allegations, who works for a public entity, like a State University.

As an aside, this is NOT the JoePa situation, where the alleged crimes occurred in the workplace and on the employer's property, where the manager is absolutely required to escalate the issues to the appropriate level and take disciplinary actions, where appropriate (very appropriate in that case, obviously).
Is your job the hiring of assistants who coach and mentor young men?

Reactions: RutHut
Is your job the hiring of assistants who coach and mentor young men?
I don't think it matters, since they're all adults, unless there's something unique in a football coach's contract regarding issues like this. I'm just speaking about what I know to be the general case for employees alleged to have done something illegal outside of the workplace. And I'm also talking legal obligations, nor moral ones. I'll also admit I could be completely wrong, but based on what I've read and experienced, I don't think that's the case. Need a lawyer to weigh in here. The link is from a Michigan law firm.

Of course, if Meyer is found to be lying, there are all kinds of "damage to reputation" and "moral turpitude" clauses in highly visible positions like his, so that could be enough to get him canned. But I don't think this is an easy case to figure out yet.

https://www.fosterswift.com/communications-Employers-Regulate-Employee-Outside-Work.html

Last edited:
I don't think it matters, since they're all adults, unless there's something unique in a football coach's contract regarding issues like this. I'm just speaking about what I know to be the general case for employees alleged to have done something illegal outside of the workplace. And I'm also talking legal obligations, nor moral ones.
Clearly.
Very Paternoish.

ADVERTISEMENT