ADVERTISEMENT

Reports that Urban Meyer lied about not knowing abuse allegations against assistant / Now On Leave

In this day this is a something people get fired for. 5 years ago this wasn't an issue. Times have changed. His chances to survive this is at best 50,/50
My scenario that might shift that 50/50 to his job saved.
Urban's wife takes the blame for not telling him , resigns from her position at OSU and the Buckeyes do some damage control to make it look like a big unintended mistake by Shelley Meyer.

Reactions: vkj91
My scenario that might shift that 50/50 to his job saved.
Urban's wife takes the blame for not telling him , resigns from her position at OSU and the Buckeyes do some damage control to make it look like a big unintended mistake by Shelley Meyer.
And then she he gets a pay raise to be head of nurising at Columbus General hospital. Where her sole responsibility is to hand out OSU footballs to newborns.

Let’s take a step back and look at OSU’s staff
Their DC is connected to PSU scandal
Their co DC worked for a guy who locked a kid in a shed
Their OC was forced out at Indiana for Bullying.
their DL coach was a staple in Joe Pa’s program.
I’m not seeing a real concern on OSU’s part regarding questionable decisions.
Again times have changed. As far as Schiano it was manyyears ago when he was a grad assistant who had zero say. If he actually saw anything.
And that kid shouldn't have locked in a shed, he should have kicked off the team.

Again times have changed. As far as Schiano it was manyyears ago when he was a grad assistant who had zero say. If he actually saw anything
We shall see. Again, I can see and would have no issue with him getting fired. I just think we need to stop thinking what would RU do.

We shall see. Again, I can see and would have no issue with him getting fired. I just think we need to stop thinking what would RU do.
Im thinking what corporate american will do and has done the last year. Not thinking what Rutgers would do.

Purdue's site lays it out pretty well. As a mandatory reporter, Meyer would have been required to report any knowledge of sexual or domestic violence he knew of directly, or any events that were reported to him.
https://www.purdue.edu/titleix/complianceGuide/index.html
The OSU Title IX office would have records of that happening if it did.
Not sure that's correct. Always thought Title IX and its reporting requirements were only relevant when the victirm is a university student or employees and not someone unaffiliated with the university (like Smith's wife). Have seen others on the internet saying the same and the preamble in the Purdue guidance even says, right up front,

"Title IX is part of the Education Amendments of 1972 and is enforced by the U.S. Department of Education. This federal law prohibits discrimination on the basis of sex in education programs or activities operated by recipients of federal financial assistance. Title IX applies to all participants of such programs, including students, parents and faculty/staff members."

Doesn't mean Urban isn't in trouble, but I don't think he had Title IX reporting requirements here.

Reactions: RUtix4me
Not sure that's correct. Always thought Title IX and its reporting requirements were only relevant when the victirm is a university student or employees and not someone unaffiliated with the university (like Smith's wife). Have seen others on the internet saying the same and the preamble in the Purdue guidance even says, right up front,

"Title IX is part of the Education Amendments of 1972 and is enforced by the U.S. Department of Education. This federal law prohibits discrimination on the basis of sex in education programs or activities operated by recipients of federal financial assistance. Title IX applies to all participants of such programs, including students, parents and faculty/staff members."

Doesn't mean Urban isn't in trouble, but I don't think he had Title IX reporting requirements here.

Ordinarily, I would agree. However, USA Today is reporting that Meyers contract stipulates that he must report any incidences of domestic violence by his staff.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...mended-contract-could-pose-problem/885020002/

Reactions: ivan brunetti

His wife would be in just as much trouble she taught at OH ST as well.

I am interested in how many posters live in an Urban or rural area. I also drive a Suburban although I actually live in an urban area. I admit I dont shop at Urban outfitters either. I guess they didnt pick Gary as the sub for Urban.

My attempt to get a 10th post titled “urban”on the board.

Last edited:
As I read fastlax16 and your post I think you are on different pages. He is addressing the role of the assistant coaches. You wrote about someone who "worked FOR you". Urban was the boss, his responsibility is/may be very different from any assistant who simply hears rumors. If your wife told you that a co worker of yours wife told her she was being abused by him what is your responsibility? Can you act on what many would consider a rumor? As a boss you may be obligated to file a report to people above you depending on the circumstances. Urban may or may not have done something, I don't know but it does appear he may have lied about knowing about it.

Correct. My post had nothing to do with Urban.

Just looked at the Purdue site...it says “any” does not mean it has to be against a student or employee as i see it, which makes sense.

40154afb89f0c21cc42e6764c2cea63d.gif

Ordinarily, I would agree. However, USA Today is reporting that Meyers contract stipulates that he must report any incidences of domestic violence by his staff.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...mended-contract-could-pose-problem/885020002/

I mentioned that the contract may supersede any general Title IX provisions in an earlier post, but even these reported provisions don't seem to apply here as both provisions end with, "any known violations...that involve any student, faculty, or staff that is in connection with a university sponsored activity or event." I just don't see how a staff member's abusive behavior at home falls under Title IX. I know I could be wrong, as I'm not a Title IX expert or a lawyer, but I've yet to see any clear language that states that Title IX applies in Meyer's case.

This Twitter feed is obviously from a Buckeye fan, so take it with a large grain of salt, but he does provide some insight into why he thinks Title IX doesn't apply here. None of this may matter if he knew about the abuse, did absolutely nothing at all, and then lied about knowing about it.

https://twitter.com/kylamb8

Last edited:
They grade coaches on wins, not character
Not anymore where you been hiding under a rock. Domestic abuse and rape are the rage over the last couple yrs.....he is GONE. Zero chance he escapes this mess

Was the player he choked female?
What if he was effeminate? And does it matter? Aren't coaches hired to coach and protect the athletes and not physically assault them? Is a physical assault of a student less actionable than a physical assault of a coaches spouse or partner who is not even a member of the university community?
Shouldn't both acts be equally wrong and punishable?
Winning washes away all sins it seems.

You have to be joking. This is equally as bad as Sandusky and if you don’t realize that then you really need to get a dose of reality shots. Hitting and abusing women is not a pastime nor accepatable. Covering up that abuse within Title 9 is going to cause multiple headaches for all involved.

I think what's different is that Sandusky had multiple victims and the conduct happened over decade(s). As a single incident I agree with you 100%

Reactions: thegock
Actually, I think it tells you they watched what happened at Tennessee last year.

No top school wants him as a HC. No one wants a repeat of what happen at Tennessee. OSU has enough baggage, that would be too much!

Try again at what? He hasn’t been fired and word out of Columbus is his paid leave is a bone they are throwing to the PC crowd. It’s the same reason they appointed a young guy over two proven HC’s with skeletons. I’m not saying he should or shouldn’t be fired. I just don’t see it happening.
FWIW being placed on paid administrative leave is written into his contract as a precursor to a firing for cause. It allows him the chance to respond to and fight any claims.

If Meyer gets fired Rutgers should be first in line to hire him.
As what?
Have a great idea--President! Jim Tressel at Youngstown State with Bo Pelini as Head Coach.

Urban Meyer for University President, and he can hire Jim Tressel, Bo Pelini, Zach Smith, Jim Leavitt, and Brian Kelly to coach the football team. RU would be a powerhouse in 2 years, wining the CFP Trophy.

What if he was effeminate? And does it matter? Aren't coaches hired to coach and protect the athletes and not physically assault them? Is a physical assault of a student less actionable than a physical assault of a coaches spouse or partner who is not even a member of the university community?
Shouldn't both acts be equally wrong and punishable?
Winning washes away all sins it seems.
Back up a couple of steps...Jim "Beaker" Leavitt was fired for choking the player. Is your argument "why was he ever allowed to coach again?" because that is a different matter.

This Twitter feed is obviously from a Buckeye fan, so take it with a large grain of salt, but he does provide some insight into why he thinks Title IX doesn't apply here.
The local newspapers seem a little more concerned than the booster bloggers.
Cleveland Plan Dealer
The new clause in Urban Meyer's contract that might matter now
Unlike the NCAA that whiffed at PSU and both the NCAA and the Accrediting agency that went flaccid for UNC, the folks that enforce Title IX compliance have federal law, and subpoena power, behind them. Think more like what the FBI is doing in college basketball around Louisville, and some others, rather than the lameness that went down in Chapel Hill or Happy Valley.

Last edited:
Back up a couple of steps...Jim "Beaker" Leavitt was fired for choking the player. Is your argument "why was he ever allowed to coach again?" because that is a different matter.
You are correct. I am mixing bad apples and rotten oranges.

But I WAS responding to @greenknight who said "Womens backlash at hiring university would not let him be hired sorry it's not about W's anymore"

So my point was would someone hire Urban if he is fired by tOSU, and my thought is that sure, someone would definitely hire him. Brother Skinny suggested RU hire him. If RU goes that route, we should fire Barchi and hire Jim Tressel as University President, and he should bring Bo Pelini with him. RU should also hire Leavitt as DC. Hire Zach Smith too. The coaching staff could be called the Dirty Dozen.

Reactions: rurichdog
Let’s take a step back and look at OSU’s staff
Their DC is connected to PSU scandal
Their co DC worked for a guy who locked a kid in a shed
Their OC was forced out at Indiana for Bullying.
their DL coach was a staple in Joe Pa’s program.
I’m not seeing a real concern on OSU’s part regarding questionable decisions.
Which is why Ohio newspaper says Day was the only option.
Cleveland Plain dealer
Why Ryan Day had to be named acting head coach: Ohio State football analysis

Cleveland Plan Dealer
Unlike the NCAA that whiffed at PSU and both the NCAA and the Accrediting agency that went flaccid for UNC, the folks that enforce Title IX compliance have federal law, and subpoena power, behind them. Think more like what the FBI is doing in college basketball around the Louisville, and some others, than the lameness that went down in Chapel Hill or Happy Valley.

Not a lawyer but the clause refers to actions that happen at university sponsored activities or events. This doesn't seem to fall into that area. As to the OSU sexual misconduct policy - I don't know how this would be considered a sexual assault.

Chances are your employer does not have to adhere to federal Title IX compliance requirements. OSU does, and Urbie is a required reporter.
Yes, as someone with a long career involved with enforcing anti-discrimination and harassment rules at a college, and other sorts of firms, the difference in standards for educational institutions covered by Title IX over a typical employer is rather drastic.

Reactions: TRU2RU and vkj91
Cleveland Plan Dealer
Unlike the NCAA that whiffed at PSU and both the NCAA and the Accrediting agency that went flaccid for UNC, the folks that enforce Title IX compliance have federal law, and subpoena power, behind them. Think more like what the FBI is doing in college basketball around Louisville, and some others, rather than the lameness that went down in Chapel Hill or Happy Valley.
But a contract is different than title 9. Coaches break clauses in their contracts all the time. It’s only an issue when schools are looking for a reason to fire a guy. I highly doubt OSU wants to fire him. They only will if they have not other out

No top school wants him as a HC. No one wants a repeat of what happen at Tennessee. OSU has enough baggage, that would be too much!
You may be right. If that's the case though, if I were Schiano I would "lawyer up". That
is a heelluvaway to have you career aspirations get scuttled by a disgruntled fan base.
On the other hand, if there is an AD/president
With some serious kilhones to hire him,I think they would get a maximum return on their investment.

Last edited:
You may be right. If that's the case though, if I were Schiano I would "lawyer up". That
is a heelluvaway to have you career aspirations get scuttled by a disgruntled fan base.
On the other hand, if there is an AD/president
With some serious kilhones to hire him,I think they would get a maximum return on their investment.
Please define maximum return.

ADVERTISEMENT