ADVERTISEMENT

Reports that Urban Meyer lied about not knowing abuse allegations against assistant / Now On Leave

comment from the cleveland.com article:

Title IX does not apply here. What happens in the Smiths' home is not a university sponsored event or activity.

is that a valid argument?

Title IX does not apply here. What happens in the Smiths' home is not a university sponsored event or activity.

Probably true. Title 9usually refers to students and employees and not relatives of employees. What he is going to get hung on is his contractual obligation to report DA by any employee. He knew, then lied about knowing. In today's world he is in deep trouble. Also, considering the latest stories about the abuse in the wrestling program by the doctor OSU can probably not afford to look the other way on this issue. My gut says he is gone an the administrative leave thing is nothing more than a opportunity to to work out the departure language so that it does not get very messy.

Probably true. Title 9usually refers to students and employees and not relatives of employees. What he is going to get hung on is his contractual obligation to report DA by any employee. He knew, then lied about knowing. In today's world he is in deep trouble. Also, considering the latest stories about the abuse in the wrestling program by the doctor OSU can probably not afford to look the other way on this issue. My gut says he is gone an the administrative leave thing is nothing more than a opportunity to to work out the departure language so that it does not get very messy.

Still don't think Titie IX or the contract apply, strictly speaking, but at some point none of that matters if he lied and never tried to address the issue, even though he may not have been legally obligated to do so (and I still may be wrong on that - don't we have some lawyers around here?). The other possibility is he falls on his sword, is extraordinarily contrite and becomes an active champion on these issues as part of his penance. Sometimes apologizing profusely and then turning things around can be very effective. I'm sure OSU wants to find a way to keep the golden goose.

The administrative leave(versus suspending) thing is usually required before they fire someone so that the details can be worked out. My guess is that he will probably resign with some sort of financial agreement versus getting outright fired.

Perhaps for employment contract purposes.
Not sure about Title IX. The example we got in training was if an faculty member were to invite a student to their private home and "intimate" activity ensued the faculty member would not be protected because it was off campus. Student could make claim and investigation would proceed.

Asked another way, would Gene Smith and OSU be willing to make the argument of "Oh - yes, Urban violated the law, but not his contract, so we'll pay a big fine to the Department of Education and Coach will be on the sideline this Saturday"?

Still don't think Titie IX or the contract apply, strictly speaking, but at some point none of that matters if he lied and never tried to address the issue, even though he may not have been legally obligated to do so (and I still may be wrong on that - don't we have some lawyers around here?). The other possibility is he falls on his sword, is extraordinarily contrite and becomes an active champion on these issues as part of his penance. Sometimes apologizing profusely and then turning things around can be very effective. I'm sure OSU wants to find a way to keep the golden goose.

Everything I have read and heard states that there is a clause in the OSU employee contract requiring/obligating an employee to report instances of DA committed by an employee. Now, I have no clue what "reporting" means. It could be a three page formal form sent to different department heads or it could mean a brief email to your immediate supervisor. In any event, he lied about knowing about any domestic abuse so I doubt he would have reported it and then said he didn't know about it. His wife could also be in trouble here since she is an OSU employee and she was told by the victim directly. Urban could argue his knowledge was rumor or hearsay, his wife was told directly so this story has many littly tributaries.

Probably true. Title 9 usually refers to students and employees and not relatives of employees.
I think that is correct. I don't see Title IX being invoked by the wife of a university employee. Particularly if the activity was never part of campus activity causing any sort of hostile environment.

What he is going to get hung on is his contractual obligation to report DA by any employee.
Probably

He knew, then lied about knowing. In today's world he is in deep trouble.
Yes

Also, considering the latest stories about the abuse in the wrestling program by the doctor OSU can probably not afford to look the other way on this issue.
You would think

My gut says he is gone an the administrative leave thing is nothing more than a opportunity to to work out the departure language so that it does not get very messy.
I would think you're right and the contract language will be how the lawyers hash out the price of departure.

But - if you told me a couple of years ago that UNC would claim to their accrediting agency that the phony classes had no bearing on any students earning a degree, and then tell the NCAA the courses were fine, and none of your business. That neither would circle back and call the Tarheels on telling two opposite stories for the same set of facts I wouldn't have believed you.

Forget that a significant portion of the PSU board of trustees thinks the greatest injustice to occur in Happy Valley for decades is Sue Patrno no longer having access to the university pool.

So who knows?

Reactions: Dpgru
His wife could also be in trouble here since she is an OSU employee and she was told by the victim directly.
Can you imagine if the wife gets fired but Urban stays? Ouch.

At this point none of know whether or not Urban met the obligation to report what he had heard. Lying to the press doesn't mean he wasn't upfront with the university.

As what?
Have a great idea--President! Jim Tressel at Youngstown State with Bo Pelini as Head Coach.

Urban Meyer for University President, and he can hire Jim Tressel, Bo Pelini, Zach Smith, Jim Leavitt, and Brian Kelly to coach the football team. RU would be a powerhouse in 2 years, wining the CFP Trophy.
UM has what it takes. We would go to NC within 5 years.

I think that is correct. I don't see Title IX being invoked by the wife of a university employee. Particularly if the activity was never part of campus activity causing any sort of hostile environment.

Probably

Yes

You would think

I would think you're right and the contract language will be how the lawyers hash out the price of departure.

But - if you told me a couple of years ago that UNC would claim to their accrediting agency that the phony classes had no bearing on any students earning a degree, and then tell the NCAA the courses were fine, and none of your business. That neither would circle back and call the Tarheels on telling two opposite stories for the same set of facts I wouldn't have believed you.

Forget that a significant portion of the PSU board of trustees thinks the greatest injustice to occur in Happy Valley for decades is Sue Patrno no longer having access to the university pool.

So who knows?

A significant portion of the psu board of trustees doesn’t give a crap about sue. A couple individuals sure, but it is nowhere near a majority. The pro-joe people loathe the psu bot because they think the board botched every step of the scandal.

While it's nearly impossible (in this day and age) to have a real discussion about certain hot-bottom issues, let me try to comment on the suspension...

and, not to (in any way) diminish the real and important concerns we all need to have about domestic violence......

and, I am NO fan for Urban...

but now, somehow, your spouse getting a text years ago, and possibly helping someone who asked for help, puts you in a position where your livelihood is threatened if you simply can't anticipate the future social and cultural ramifications of your every action?

get the pitchforks people......... the mob is running......

pitchfork.jpg

Reactions: czxqa

From the above linked article:

It's not clear that what Courtney Smith is alleging would amount to a Title IX violation. A judge in Colorado dismissed a lawsuit about a similar case earlier this year. In that instance, the judge said University of Colorado officials were not legally obligated to act when they learned about a domestic abuse situation between an assistant football coach and his significant other. Courtney Smith is not an Ohio State employee, and the alleged incidents did not occur on campus.

I feel more hatred for Tennessee than I did, previously.

They're too stupid to understand that this is, essentially, self-fulfilling prophecy. They created the shit storm around Schiano. They're responsible for tOSU passing on him, now.

Signed,
Not Much of a Greg Schiano Fan

They're too stupid to understand that this is, essentially, self-fulfilling prophecy. They created the shit storm around Schiano. They're responsible for tOSU passing on him, now.

Signed,

100% yes, I think my brain almost imploded reading that article.

Signed,
Greg Schiano has way to much Paterno baggage to ever be offered a HC job at another P5 school, including Rutgers. Whether you agree of disagree as to the legitimacy of the questions and inferences, it exists, and nobody at a P5 institution is going to put him in charge of a football program.

Greg's personal ambition got the better of him, he never should have left Rutgers in the first place, I don't feel sorry for him in the least. Karma is a bitch.

Greg Schiano has way to much Paterno baggage to ever be offered a HC job at another P5 school, including Rutgers. Whether you agree of disagree as to the legitimacy of the questions and inferences, it exists, and nobody at a P5 institution is going to put him in charge of a football program.

Greg's personal ambition got the better of him, he never should have left Rutgers in the first place, I don't feel sorry for him in the least. Karma is a bitch.
Should have never left Rutgers?? Dumbest post today. Totally clueless!
Your hatred of Schiano is duly noted.

Your absolute love of Schiano has been noted for years, for once get off of your knees and wipe off your chin and see that your hero screwed us over.

Greg had a fairly good chance to get a P-5 HC position after this season is over.
The national media was more on his side than Tennesse's when that school rescinded their offer to him.
But with this issue raised against Urban and Greg's name being run down again a mid-major HC position might be the most he can hope for now.
Being passed over as interim HC makes it look like Schino might need to take a NFL DC position before he even thinks about having a College HC job.

As for Meyer, he'll siurvivebut will find a reason to move on after this season ends
Unless a National Championship is obtained.

Reactions: 50 yd line RR

Wow, WB and me in 110% agreement. I get not wanting Schiano back, but to not acknowledge his huge role in taking the worst-ever P5 program (by some distance) from the depths of despair to respectability and somewhat beyond (winning 4 of 5 bowls in consecutive years), which was critical to getting the stadium expanded and the B1G invite, is just delusional. People should simply say thanks, at the very least, and I don't get people not understanding his leaving for the friggin' NFL, especially when it looked like the B1G invite might not come for awhile.

Wow, WB and me in 110% agreement. I get not wanting Schiano back, but to not acknowledge his huge role in taking the worst-ever P5 program (by some distance) from the depths of despair to respectability and somewhat beyond (winning 4 of 5 bowls in consecutive years), which was critical to getting the stadium expanded and the B1G invite, is just delusional. People should simply say thanks, at the very least, and I don't get people not understanding his leaving for the friggin' NFL, especially when it looked like the B1G invite might not come for awhile.
Stop already, how many years are you going to have to say thanks to GS for taking a bad program and turning into a decent program. Yes, he took over a mess, had some marginal success, never won an outright conference championship or got us to a major bowl, oh, can't bring that up to the fall on our knees crowd. Might we forget he was paid very well for his services and shown a lot of patience, he left to fulfill his own ambitions. Enough with the thank yous already, the program has still not recovered from his departure. Like I said, karma is a bitch.

Your absolute love of Schiano has been noted for years, for once get off of your knees and wipe off your chin and see that your hero screwed us over.
He screwed us over? You are void of some important facts like Pernetti was told to inform Schiano that his next contract would be at a significant cut in salary. A sure sign to look for another job. He didn't take another college job. He took an NFL job and was paid $15 guranteed.
And keep your filthy innuendo out of your post. Just shows how simple and narrow minded you are.

Reactions: 50 yd line RR
Stop already, how many years are you going to have to say thanks to GS for taking a bad program and turning into a decent program. Yes, he took over a mess, had some marginal success, never won an outright conference championship or got us to a major bowl, oh, can't bring that up to the fall on our knees crowd. Might we forget he was paid very well for his services and shown a lot of patience, he left to fulfill his own ambitions. Enough with the thank yous already, the program has still not recovered from his departure. Like I said, karma is a bitch.
What was your username before you were banned for trolling threads like this? "Marginal success" is simply laughable, as is saying we haven't recovered from his departure - we didn't recover because we Pernetti cheaped out and hired Flood, who was a disaster.

You are too stupid to understand that without Schiano Rutgers would not be a member of the Big Ten!

What was your username before you were banned for trolling threads like this? "Marginal success" is simply laughable, as is saying we haven't recovered from his departure - we didn't recover because we Pernetti cheaped out and hired Flood, who was a disaster.
I have been on this board since 2002, troll. My allegiance is to Rutgers, not an individual who decided that being the HC at Rutgers wan't good enough. Get over it, he is history, yesterday's news. If you ever see him at some function where they bring back the 86 team 20 years from now you can walk up to him and shake his hand if he lets you.

You are too stupid to understand that without Schiano Rutgers would not be a member of the Big Ten!
OMG, please, this again, like he was the only coach in America that could have turned the program around after Shea. Please, he was showered with resources, hell they even closed in the stadium for him, and he never delivered one outright conference championship. Again, it doesn't matter what I say about the man, he is toast as far as ever getting another shot as a P5 HC. But he will always have you guys to thank him over and over and over again.

It's never a good day when one of your main defenders in the public eye is Jay Paterno....he's really standing up for Urban on this.

Try again at what? He hasn’t been fired and word out of Columbus is his paid leave is a bone they are throwing to the PC crowd. It’s the same reason they appointed a young guy over two proven HC’s with skeletons. I’m not saying he should or shouldn’t be fired. I just don’t see it happening.
"... the PC crowd?"

A significant portion of the psu board of trustees doesn’t give a crap about sue. A couple individuals sure, but it is nowhere near a majority. The pro-joe people loathe the psu bot because they think the board botched every step of the scandal.
Hey JoeBot - Thanks for proving my point. All the Lubrano clones,that's every member elected by the alumni, think the REAL problem is the way the mean old BOT fired their false god. Not the kid raping.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT