ADVERTISEMENT

Reports that Urban Meyer lied about not knowing abuse allegations against assistant / Now On Leave

Not sure if this has been posted yet.....james o’keefe has gotten involved with undercover video interviews..

Greg had a fairly good chance to get a P-5 HC position after this season is over.
The national media was more on his side than Tennesse's when that school rescinded their offer to him.
But with this issue raised against Urban and Greg's name being run down again a mid-major HC position might be the most he can hope for now.
Being passed over as interim HC makes it look like Schino might need to take a NFL DC position before he even thinks about having a College HC job.

As for Meyer, he'll siurvivebut will find a reason to move on after this season ends
Unless a National Championship is obtained.
Why Ryan Day had to be named acting head coach: Ohio State football analysis | cleveland.com
>Schiano and Wilson weren't viable options at this time.

Not with Schiano's ties to Penn State that made him the talk of last winter's coaching carousel when backlash from Tennessee fans caused a deal between UT and Schiano to break down in a very public, very ugly way. That doesn't preclude Schiano from ever being a head coach again, but whether you agreed with Tennessee fans' reaction or not, some of that sentiment would have resurfaced had Schiano been named acting head coach by Ohio State on Wednesday.

Wilson, who joined the OSU staff last year, resigned as Indiana's head coach in 2015 amid allegations of player mistreatment. It couldn't have been him either.

Despite both of them having previous head coach experience, and Day having none, Ohio State could not risk potentially compounding one public relations disaster with another.<

https://www.cleveland.com/osu/2018/08/why_ryan_day_had_to_be_named_a.html

Why Ryan Day had to be named acting head coach: Ohio State football analysis | cleveland.com
>Schiano and Wilson weren't viable options at this time.

Not with Schiano's ties to Penn State that made him the talk of last winter's coaching carousel when backlash from Tennessee fans caused a deal between UT and Schiano to break down in a very public, very ugly way. That doesn't preclude Schiano from ever being a head coach again, but whether you agreed with Tennessee fans' reaction or not, some of that sentiment would have resurfaced had Schiano been named acting head coach by Ohio State on Wednesday.

Wilson, who joined the OSU staff last year, resigned as Indiana's head coach in 2015 amid allegations of player mistreatment. It couldn't have been him either.

Despite both of them having previous head coach experience, and Day having none, Ohio State could not risk potentially compounding one public relations disaster with another.<

https://www.cleveland.com/osu/2018/08/why_ryan_day_had_to_be_named_a.html
Day also is the apparent replacement for Meyer and Meyers choice. Worked with him at Florida. Is an offensive coach like Meyer.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Day also is the apparent replacement for Meyer and Meyers choice. Worked with him at Florida. Is an offensive coach like Meyer.
Hard time believeing OSU’s next coach will be a first time head coach. Yes, I know it’s the new trend and worked out great for Georgia but just can’t see it.

Hard time believeing OSU’s next coach will be a first time head coach. Yes, I know it’s the new trend and worked out great for Georgia but just can’t see it.
So who will it be? It wont be a defensive coach. Game has changed. Schiano next HC job will be a rebuild. He isnt taking over at The Ohio State U. And not because of his brief time at Penn State.

Reactions: Knightmoves
Depends on if the investigation goes on till after the season starts and Meyer is let go during it . That would give Day a chance to prove his worth as their HC and be named the permant HC ( or passed over )
based on how the Buckeyes do in 2018.
10-11 wins might get him the position, anything less won't.
Win the B1G, his hiring will be a sure thing.

Schiano and Wilson will become hot commodities when P-5 HC positions start opening up.

Depends on if the investigation goes on till after the season starts and Meyer is let go during it . That would give Day a chance to prove his worth as their HC and be named the permant HC ( or passed over )

Schiano and Wilson will become hot commodities when P-5 HC positions start opening up.
This won't last all season. This will be resolved before camp ends. The "investigation" is easy. OSU will look through all texts and emails. It won't take long. Whatever is in them they will still have major PR issues to keep him. I find it seriously laughable of the suggestion that the wife is fired and not Urban.

So who will it be? It wont be a defensive coach. Game has changed. Schiano next HC job will be a rebuild. He isnt taking over at The Ohio State U. And not because of his brief time at Penn State.
Not going to go through all the names but Justin Fuente for one

Neither schiano nor Wilson will be hot commodities for P5 programs. You guys are crazy with these ideas

As I said not a defensive guy and won't happen this year.
Sometimes I wonder see if you even bother reading what people write. Fuentes Isn’t a defensive guy and I didn’t say this year.

Sometimes I wonder see if you even bother reading what people write. Fuentes Isn’t a defensive guy and I didn’t say this year.
Same goes for you. My response on this thread why Schiano isn't the interim coach is because he isnt a offensive guy. People on here and the media say it is because of his connection to Penn State. Which is total bullcrap. He is a DC working for a famous offensive guy. Was never next in line for the OSU job. Never. His next HC job will be a total rebuild job.

Same goes for you. My response on this thread why Schiano isn't the interim coach is because he isnt a offensive guy. People on here and the media say it is because of his connection to Penn State. Which is total bullcrap. He is a DC working for a famous offensive guy. Was never next in line for the OSU job. Never. His next HC job will be a total rebuild job.
He was never next in line because from 2006 on he was 500 in the watered down big east. It has nothing to do with O vs D. It has to do with the fact he isn’t worthy of that job. That being said, he wasn’t named interim for now 100% because of PSU. That info comes straight from the horses mouth.

Neither schiano nor Wilson will be hot commodities for P5 programs. You guys are crazy with these ideas
You could be right, but I think those two will be given a lot of the credit for OSU having a great season with Day as HC and when it comes to trying to make a winning program things that once were big deals seem to be considered overcome in the pursuit of
victory.

Schiano had the media turning in his favor after the Tennessee putdown and they will give him good PR when is name comes up in P-5 HC searches.
Wilson will be considered to have learned from his mistakes and his candidacy will be looked on favorably by most of the media.

He was never next in line because from 2006 on he was 500 in the watered down big east. It has nothing to do with O vs D. It has to do with the fact he isn’t worthy of that job. That being said, he wasn’t named interim for now 100% because of PSU. That info comes straight from the horses mouth.
What horses mouth?? It comes from media speculation. OSU has not made an annoucement about anything. In fact there will be no media interviews allowed by players, coaches and school when they ooen camp tomorrow. Schiano was hired as a DC at OSU. Was never going to be the next in line for the same reason Chris Ash is at RU now. The next HC at OSU will be offensive minded. OSU has not said Schiano is not the interim because of PSU. In fact if OSU was concerned about it Schiano he would not be back after the failed Tennessee hire. Meyer and OSU stood by Schiano after that fiasco very publically and he was rehired. Schiano was offered the job again. Stop the nonsense, please. Stick to the facts.

What horses mouth?? It comes from media speculation. OSU has not made an annoucement about anything. In fact there will be no media interviews allowed by players, coaches and school when they ooen camp tomorrow. Schiano was hired as a DC at OSU. Was never going to be the next in line for the same reason Chris Ash is at RU now. The next HC at OSU will be offensive minded. OSU has not said Schiano is not the interim because of PSU. In fact if OSU was concerned about it Schiano he would not be back after the failed Tennessee hire. Meyer and OSU stood by Schiano after that fiasco very publically and he was rehired. Schiano was offered the job again. Stop the nonsense, please. Stick to the facts.
Do you know what the term horses mouth means? This is a fact coming straight from the horses mouth.
Schiano was kept on because they are buddies and not because he’s been great there. He hasn’t. In fact, they went out and hired his replacement already

I am really late to this, but the charge against Meyer is that he lied about knowing about an allegation of domestic abuse?

At what point does Urban Meyer have give his assistant the benefit of the doubt? As far as we know, the ex-wife could have been working an angle the whole time.

In what world does telling your ex-husband's boss's wife mean he has to fire the guy.. on the allegation? If the cops arrest him.. charge him.. if the head coach has first hand knowledge or trusted witnesses to the abuse.. that's another story.

I cannot see one reason why Urban Meyer should be suspended or fired over this.

Same goes for that Jim Jordan thing.. Jordan was an assistant coach... the team doctor is dead.. its just crazy this whole rush to judgement thing and searching for the biggest name you can drag into situations like these which will end up being lawyers looking for a payday.

Do you know what the term horses mouth means? This is a fact coming straight from the horses mouth.
Schiano was kept on because they are buddies and not because he’s been great there. He hasn’t. In fact, they went out and hired his replacement already
Jeeze talk about spin. So if he wasnt good enough as a DC than your bullcrap about PSU is false. As for the horses mouth no one at OSU has said anyhing why Schiano wasn't made interim. Your point that he isnt good enough is against your stupid 100% PSU connections. You can't have it both ways.
OSU has made 2 official statements. One that Meyer is on leave and the interim is the guy who was just elevated to OC from co corodinator.
Please pick one point of view. Schiano isnt interim HC because he sucks or he coached at PSU. Focus. Its not both.

I am really late to this, but the charge against Meyer is that he lied about knowing about an allegation of domestic abuse?

At what point does Urban Meyer have give his assistant the benefit of the doubt? As far as we know, the ex-wife could have been working an angle the whole time.

In what world does telling your ex-husband's boss's wife mean he has to fire the guy.. on the allegation? If the cops arrest him.. charge him.. if the head coach has first hand knowledge or trusted witnesses to the abuse.. that's another story.

...its just crazy this whole rush to judgement thing and searching for the biggest name you can drag into situations like these which will end up being lawyers looking for a payday.
That angle and your thoughts are being discussed elsewhere.

Jeeze talk about spin. So if he wasnt good enough as a DC than your bullcrap about PSU is false. As for the horses mouth no one at OSU has said anyhing why Schiano wasn't made interim. Your point that he isnt good enough is against your stupid 100% PSU connections. You can't have it both ways.
OSU has made 2 official statements. One that Meyer is on leave and the interim is the guy who was just elevated to OC from co corodinator.
Please pick one point of view. Schiano isnt interim HC because he sucks or he coached at PSU. Focus. Its not both.
If I am Schiano I let Meyer know I do not want be HC in this instance. Scandals all over the place.. and you got all that stinky Tennessee mud all over him still. If I am GS I am happy to just do my job and help my team and defensive players get ready.

Same goes for that Jim Jordan thing.. Jordan was an assistant coach... the team doctor is dead.. its just crazy this whole rush to judgement thing and searching for the biggest name you can drag into situations like these which will end up being lawyers looking for a payday.
As with any big scandal the coverup is worse than the crime.

Then why fire Zach Smith at all if this is all just the work of a vindictive ex? Urban's contract also requires he report domestic abuse.

Did you make these arguments for Paterno? Didn't witness first hand and didn't have a credible/trusted witness yet did more than Urban and actually reported what he heard to the athletic director as required. Moral obligation to do more was a term thrown around a lot. Urban should have done more.

Ok. As usual you are all over the place so I will slow this down for you.
When this happened what do you think the OSU coaches did immediately after talking to their players? That’s right, they called the HS coaches they recruit from. This isn’t made up, this is coming directly from OSU coaches including Schianos conversations with MULTIPE Nj coaches I am friends with.
He wasn’t made interim for the same reason the Indiana guy wasn’t. You have a potential covering up of assault, which is bullying, and your two top guys are tied to child molestation cover ups and a guy fired for bullying. Nobody is that tone death.
That being said, even without PSU, schiano is not worthy of the OSU job. At one time was he considered that level? Yes, 100%. Today. No shot. He was offered Tennessee because their AD had been told no so many times he panicked.
Next year Greg will be in the NFL, a DC for a non blue blood P5, on TV or head coach of a MAC type school.

Then why fire Zach Smith at all if this is all just the work of a vindictive ex? Urban's contract also requires he report domestic abuse.

The charges are that Meyer KNEW in 2015... Smith was not FIRED in 2015. My point is the same whether or not Smith was actually GUILTY of abuse. My point is that Urban Meyer had no way of knowing.

Here's what actually can be proven (Deadspin/Cleveland.com)

Here’s what the incident run sheets from Powell police, obtained by Cleveland.com, show:
  • In October 2015, Courtney Smith called police and told them that she believed she was being followed by a man in an SUV, and mentioned she was having “issues” with her “soon to be ex-husband,” according to the incident run sheet.
  • A few days later, Courtney Smith told police that she wanted to file a restraining order against Smith.
  • In January 2016, Courtney Smith was pulled over for speeding. She told an officer that “she was having domestic issues with her ex today and the city of Powell is aware of it,” according to the report. The report added that Smith was “crying and visibly upset.”
  • A report from December 2017 said that Zach Smith was served with a trespass warning after showing up at his ex-wife’s house drunk at 1:30 a.m.. The report stated that Courtney Smith was asleep, but Zach Smith was seen by a neighbor, and he appeared drunk, was banging on windows, and threw a Christmas wreath on the door to the ground.
That last bit.. that was why Smith got fired.. 3 days after that. Coupled with the 2009 thing.. that's enough proof that something ain't right.

But in 2015? Unless you KNEW.. had proof.. ehh.. I dunno.. maybe to cover your ass you boot the guy.. or force him into therapy or something.. I still don't see what it is the employers problem.

Why didn't the cops just lock him up? He couldn't coach if he were locked up. Why is it Urban Meyer's problem?

Did you make these arguments for Paterno? Didn't witness first hand and didn't have a credible/trusted witness yet did more than Urban and actually reported what he heard to the athletic director as required. Moral obligation to do more was a term thrown around a lot. Urban should have done more.

And now the 2nd part.. because the two points have nothing to do with eachother.

Paterno KNEW *something*. His national championship DC gets no offers for a head coaching gig? C'mon... you know Sandusky was told not to try because he couldn't get a referral.. or that referral was "stay away". He knew Sandusky SHOWERED with these kids. McQueary came to Paterno DIRECTLY and told him. "Horsing around" my ass.. that was JoePA's excuse. McQueary / JoePA / PSU admin should have gone to the cops.

As I said in the other message.. have the cops lock him up and he cannot coach from jail. It is not Urban Meyer's job.

In this instance it would mean getting it from the person who made the decision. Presumably Urban or the AD.

Getting it secondhand from a guy(s) who got it from Schiano, who may have spun it, is not getting it from the horse's mouth.

Reactions: mdh2003
And now the 2nd part.. because the two points have nothing to do with eachother.

Paterno KNEW *something*. His national championship DC gets no offers for a head coaching gig? C'mon... you know Sandusky was told not to try because he couldn't get a referral.. or that referral was "stay away". He knew Sandusky SHOWERED with these kids. McQueary came to Paterno DIRECTLY and told him. "Horsing around" my ass.. that was JoePA's excuse. McQueary / JoePA / PSU admin should have gone to the cops.

As I said in the other message.. have the cops lock him up and he cannot coach from jail. It is not Urban Meyer's job.
Not disagreeing with your points, but just to be factual, at one point Sandusky was recruited very hard by Temple to be their HC and was seriously considering taking the position. It was Paterno himself who talked him out of taking the job.

Please define maximum return.
Maximum return,whoever hires him is going to get get a coach (already known for being one of the hardest workers in the business),with a serious chip on his shoulders. I wouldn't bet against him.

Last edited:
The charges are that Meyer KNEW in 2015... Smith was not FIRED in 2015. My point is the same whether or not Smith was actually GUILTY of abuse. My point is that Urban Meyer had no way of knowing.

During all of that happening, Courtney Smith was texting and talking with Urban Meyer's wife and told her everything that was happening. She reference talking to Urban Meyer about it and saying that he didn't know what to make of it. So where is the confusion?

During all of that happening, Courtney Smith was texting and talking with Urban Meyer's wife and told her everything that was happening. She reference talking to Urban Meyer about it and saying that he didn't know what to make of it. So where is the confusion?

My crystal ball suggests that Mrs Meyer plays the good wife and declares that she actually never told Urban directly about the DV with Courtney Smith. She tried to counsel Ms Smith directly in the hopes of fixing the problem and succeeded by getting them to divorce. If that happens then how does Urban go down for this?

Here's what actually can be proven (Deadspin/Cleveland.com)

Here’s what the incident run sheets from Powell police, obtained by Cleveland.com, show:
  • In October 2015, Courtney Smith called police and told them that she believed she was being followed by a man in an SUV, and mentioned she was having “issues” with her “soon to be ex-husband,” according to the incident run sheet.
  • A few days later, Courtney Smith told police that she wanted to file a restraining order against Smith.
  • In January 2016, Courtney Smith was pulled over for speeding. She told an officer that “she was having domestic issues with her ex today and the city of Powell is aware of it,” according to the report. The report added that Smith was “crying and visibly upset.”
  • A report from December 2017 said that Zach Smith was served with a trespass warning after showing up at his ex-wife’s house drunk at 1:30 a.m.. The report stated that Courtney Smith was asleep, but Zach Smith was seen by a neighbor, and he appeared drunk, was banging on windows, and threw a Christmas wreath on the door to the ground.
That last bit.. that was why Smith got fired.. 3 days after that. Coupled with the 2009 thing.. that's enough proof that something ain't right.

But in 2015? Unless you KNEW.. had proof.. ehh.. I dunno.. maybe to cover your ass you boot the guy.. or force him into therapy or something.. I still don't see what it is the employers problem.

Why didn't the cops just lock him up? He couldn't coach if he were locked up. Why is it Urban Meyer's problem?
I posted earlier in the thread similar kind of points but no one really rebutted them. He most likely knew about the 2015 incident but what does that actually mean?

The police knew as well and the case is still open from what I read last week. His family and more importantly her family and she herself going along with wanting to keep things low profile so he doesn't lose his job.

So then given that what action is he an outsider from the family suppose to take. He's keeping the guy as a favor to his long time mentor and someone he sees as a 2nd father in Bruce and her family and she too want the same. I don't think Urban' success hinges on Zach Smith, he's doing it out of closeness to his grandfather. Her family and she want it too so then what is he suppose to do beyond trying to provide support for her which it seems his wife did to some degree.

The pitchforks are out and it's easy to be all riled but if you're in the situation and those are the facts as we know them at the moment, it's not so easy to get involved as an outsider even if you're Urban Meyer and the boss.

Reactions: Knight Shift
I posted earlier in the thread similar kind of points but no one really rebutted them. He most likely knew about the 2015 incident but what does that actually mean?

The police knew as well and the case is still open from what I read last week. His family and more importantly her family and she herself going along with wanting to keep things low profile so he doesn't lose his job.

So then given that what action is he an outsider from the family suppose to take. He's keeping the guy as a favor to his long time mentor and someone he sees as a 2nd father in Bruce and her family and she too want the same. I don't think Urban' success hinges on Zach Smith, he's doing it out of closeness to his grandfather. Her family and she want it too so then what is he suppose to do beyond trying to provide support for her which it seems his wife did to some degree.

The pitchforks are out and it's easy to be all riled but if you're in the situation and those are the facts as we know them at the moment, it's not so easy to get involved as an outsider even if you're Urban Meyer and the boss.
Agree. Pitchforks and faux outrage crowd need to calm down and STFU.
Sometimes these situations are complicated and there is more than what appears at the surface, and you scratched the surface.
Firing the guy may have made the situation worse, but one never knows in these situations, which are often very sad, complicated and confusing. Sometimes there is no "right" answer or way of dealing with these things, except for the insight offered from the hindsight armchair QB expert crowd, the pitchfork crowd and the faux outrage crowd.
I am in no way condoning domestic violence or coddling a perpetrator of domestic violence.

All that said, as others have said, the coverup is sometimes perceived as worse than the crime. People need to learn to simply come clean and fess up early on. Either say you don't recall the details and/or you are not going to get into the details, or Urban could have simply said that he was aware something was going on, but so did the police, and the they did what they thought was best for Zach Smith and his family at the time. That would unlikely appease the hysterical pitchfork crowd, but at least he would not be caught in a lie.

Agree. Pitchforks and faux outrage crowd need to calm down and STFU.
Sometimes these situations are complicated and there is more than what appears at the surface, and you scratched the surface.
Firing the guy may have made the situation worse, but one never knows in these situations, which are often very sad, complicated and confusing. Sometimes there is no "right" answer or way of dealing with these things, except for the insight offered from the hindsight armchair QB expert crowd, the pitchfork crowd and the faux outrage crowd.
I am in no way condoning domestic violence or coddling a perpetrator of domestic violence.

All that said, as others have said, the coverup is sometimes perceived as worse than the crime. People need to learn to simply come clean and fess up early on. Either say you don't recall the details and/or you are not going to get into the details, or Urban could have simply said that he was aware something was going on, but so did the police, and the they did what they thought was best for Zach Smith and his family at the time. That would unlikely appease the hysterical pitchfork crowd, but at least he would not be caught in a lie.
I agree with your 2nd paragraph.. "I don't recall" is a good canned answer and saves you for the moment until you're more prepared. Frankly what I think is the truth is a good answer too because it's complicated but your right everyone would still likely be riled. It's so easy to foment outrage these day no one ever takes a step back. I always say take things as a case by case basis, one thing is not always the same as the next.

I definitely think he knew but having said that what's the action to take given what we know. To me it's not so straightforward and can be complicated.

Forget about Smith and his family. Not being fired is the action she and her family wanted and the police are aware too. Then knowing that it's difficult to say just fire him when they don't want that. I haven't read anything that said Urban or his wife said keep things quiet etc...It's his family, her family and she herself going along.

At the moment I don't see him protecting an abuser as much as a guy who is trying to help a close mentor and the people around her wanting the same outcome and him likely being put in an uncomfortable situation of not being exactly sure what to do beyond offering support.

I don't see it as Urban Meyer coach of OSU as much as guy caught in an uncomfortable sticky situation probably not sure of what to do just like any of us would likely be given the facts as we know them now.

My crystal ball suggests that Mrs Meyer plays the good wife and declares that she actually never told Urban directly about the DV with Courtney Smith. She tried to counsel Ms Smith directly in the hopes of fixing the problem and succeeded by getting them to divorce. If that happens then how does Urban go down for this?

Since she works for OSU as well. She will get fired for not reporting and he stays.

But, everyone will know that was pure BS to keep him. I mean, there is no way in hell he could have not known. Why on Earth would his wife keep that from him? It makes zero sense. Most likely he took the let the police take care of it and if they find something I will just fire him path.

However, that is not how it works, you are suppose to report anything that you know, even if it turns out to be nothing. Now OSU itself will be in trouble for not following protocol. Who else knew? What was or wasn't reported? Why did they change his contract to add that extra language? Was it so he wouldn't do it again?

I guess we will all find out before long.

Courtney Smith didn't press charges in 2015 partly because she didn't want to see her husband lose his job. Now she is making an issue out of Meyer not firing said husband.

It sounds like the assistant coach was going through a hard divorce in 2015. It's not like Meyer was trying to suppress police reports or charges. That being said, If Meyer didn't tell the coach to cut the sh!t back then Meyer might be in trouble
He did fire the guy on the drunk trespassing incident. I don't see how Meyer loses his job over this. Hopefully, this is a teaching moment for all coaches in college.

I bet some JoeDidn'tKnow Hypocrites in Pennsylvania are calling for Meyer to be fired.

Courtney Smith didn't press charges in 2015 partly because she didn't want to see her husband lose his job. Now she is making an issue out of Meyer not firing said husband.

It seems like some people are confused about this.

To be 100% clear, the reason why Urban is in trouble is because HE DID NOT REPORT HIM.

He is NOT in trouble because the didn't fire him.

Again, had he reported him and keep him on the staff because she dropped the charges he would NOT be in trouble right now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT