ADVERTISEMENT

Required Vaccination Impacts

MS-RU

All American
Gold Member
Aug 9, 2013
The big news out of NW today is that 2 assistant coaches, Howe and Kennedy, are being fired for not getting the vaccine as per the school's mandate.

This already caused a top recruit (Carter Young) who showed up to start school at NW this past Friday to leave that same day and enroll at Oklahoma State over the weekend after hearing the news. There are numerous rumblings that there are a bunch of big transfers potentially coming soon given all of the mandates. Since RU has required the vaccine, I can't see any way these developments would have a positive impact (i.e. it would only be someone transferring out of RU due to not getting vaxed and not the other way) since it's one of the 9 B1G schools to require it (I believe PSU, Iowa, Nebraska, and Wisc are the only ones that don't). Hopefully RU can avoid all of the drama but that obviously remains to be seen.

I don’t think it will really effect us. I think Bill said that most of the kids are already vaccinated and the requirement barely effected the football team.

Ryan Deakin could always rejoin his old teammate, 😁

I don’t think it will really effect us. I think Bill said that most of the kids are already vaccinated and the requirement barely effected the football team.

I'm hopeful as well. I know there was a rumor about someone prominent that wasn't vaccinated over the summer but haven't heard anything more about it at this point. Hopefully that's behind us now.

My overall point was that there really wasn't much upside for RU in this situation because if someone was leaving a school due to not wanting to be vaccinated, obviously RU wouldn't be an option in terms of a destination, at least for student athletes. Coaches and faculty aren't required, so technically that wouldn't be an issue here.

What I remember Bill saying is that not all are vaccinated. What we don't know is who isn't; are they opposed to it; and is natural immunity from having the virus considered equal to being vaccinated? I'd sure hate to see a repeat of last year.

ADVERTISEMENT