ADVERTISEMENT

Rescigno and Hicks

newwavedave1

All Conference
Feb 2, 2006
Two of my wishes have come true, Gio starting and plans to get Josh "more involved". It's about time!

I wonder what's actually changed in the coaches' meetings. I have trouble believing either guy has drastically improved their performances in practice. So what's prompted the staff to shake things up like they have?

I never have a clue what's going on with Hicks. We lack talent on this team and Hicks is a real good college running back and looked good at DB when he got a shot there. There has to be a story while one of our few real talents on the team is not involved more?

drew: if I were to guess, it's simply lack of production & the injury to Grant.

The starters at the beginning of the year were chosen for who knows whatever reason(s). Maybe the practiced better. Were more committed to the work outs. Knew the playbook better. Again -- who knows?

But the lack of production has required a shakeup. I applaud Ash & staff for being flexible enough to try something different and not waiting until the end of the year to make changes.

I never have a clue what's going on with Hicks. We lack talent on this team and Hicks is a real good college running back and looked good at DB when he got a shot there. There has to be a story while one of our few real talents on the team is not involved more?

I think hicks has had trouble adjusting to running in a very different offense than he was used to.

I wonder what's actually changed in the coaches' meetings. I have trouble believing either guy has drastically improved their performances in practice. So what's prompted the staff to shake things up like they have?

Maybe they noticed that performances in practice weren't matching performances during games...

Did you seriously mean to ask that? Shouldn't happened a little bit sooner...

That's my point. We could all see what wasn't working a month ago, and were clamoring for changes then, but obviously the coaches didn't see a need. As I said, I can't imagine the players changed much, so why the shakeup now? Did they all collectively come to their senses? Was DM or Ash against it originally, but the other finally put their foot down?

I am intrigued by the Scarlet Nation myth about players on our team who are studs in practice but no good on gameday. I would like to hear more about it....

The players are the players. Just because the fans expect more out of them on Saturday, doesn't mean they aren't the best option.

Reactions: ATIOH
the question might be better asked..does Merherringer know what hes doing?

the question might be better asked..does Merherringer know what hes doing?

Yes. But he has never had to deal with not having the players to do what he knows. That takes experience to adapt and change things.

Reactions: mildone
I am intrigued by the Scarlet Nation myth about players on our team who are studs in practice but no good on gameday. I would like to hear more about it....

The players are the players. Just because the fans expect more out of them on Saturday, doesn't mean they aren't the best option.
Having been a member of a lot of different teams from grade school to high school, I can honestly say there are kids that just can't get it together under the bright lights.

If Chuck Knoblauch has taught us anything, it's that you can go from all star and gold glove to basically useless with absolutely nothing else changing except expectations.

the question might be better asked..does Merherringer know what hes doing?[/QU lets see what happens this week, he now has a qb who can run and is not afraid of contact if his play calling dosent change this week i doubt you will see him here next year, ash wants to keep his job

Did you see the practice video with Frankenstein qb topic--a few things stood out.

CL seemed smaller than all qb's by a bunch. Retting is still throwing and practicing despite the posts here about his involvement being in essence done. For anyone who knows, week to week practice is not going to be competition style like game scrimmages so no real chance to show difference other than execution of a game plan and coaching compliance. Thus it has always been foolish to say whoever wins the job in practice, but we have seen many hang their hat on that misleading coachspeak.

Very excited to see a new qb--feels like there is hope for first time in a long time. Using Hicks will also be great

There were a few 2 back sets. Hicks and martin should definitely be used together. If we're truly a running tea, those two and Gio make sense all to be out there on occasion.

Reactions: goru7 and redking
So are you the one we can complain to if they don't produce?
Hard to think that Gio will be unable to produce better results than Laviano. The bar has been set pretty low. In my mind, Hicks has already produced, as his stats from last year are very similar to Martin's.

Yes. But he has never had to deal with not having the players to do what he knows. That takes experience to adapt and change things.

I think the biggest mistake this staff made was installing that silly "remove the stripe" qualification at the beginning of the season. Perhaps at Ohio St. the players were so close in talent that this type of stunt is a separator/motivator, but we have so little talent. This staff needed to cut out the cute games and find out who our best players were, whether it was in practice or early games.

Ash has really taken a bit of a hit in my eyes. He came in with an attitude like he had already done something. A bit too cocky. Mehringer was always going to have a learning curve. Hopefully they've been humbled by their poor start.

Reactions: goru7 and redking
I think the biggest mistake this staff made was installing that silly "remove the stripe" qualification at the beginning of the season. Perhaps at Ohio St. the players were so close in talent that this type of stunt is a separator/motivator, but we have so little talent. This staff needed to cut out the cute games and find out who our best players were, whether it was in practice or early games.

Ash has really taken a bit of a hit in my eyes. He came in with an attitude like he had already done something. A bit too cocky. Mehringer was always going to have a learning curve. Hopefully they've been humbled by their poor start.

None of our issues are because of the stripe. I like it, because it serves as a motivator and extra incentive for players to work hard, with very little cost. Coaches just need to stay the course and recruit, recruit, recruit.

Reactions: JerseyVegas

Uhm...guys DO improve and changes do happen, all the time, for a slew of reasons, in college football. These, hopefully, are both well-earned and productive ones!

+1 on Ash' s attitude when he got here. " I' m from Columbus and I" 'll show you how to do things." Flood may not have been able to recruit but his offenses won games in 2014 & 2015.

Having been a member of a lot of different teams from grade school to high school, I can honestly say there are kids that just can't get it together under the bright lights.

If Chuck Knoblauch has taught us anything, it's that you can go from all star and gold glove to basically useless with absolutely nothing else changing except expectations.
You do know that his down fall came from the overuse of steroids right?

An "attitude"? lol...com'on man this guy has as much "attitude" and "cockiness" as a herd of sheep. How soon we forget what an unbelievable "attitude" Schiano had, from Day 1, and how "cocky" - and I laugh as I say this - Kyle Flood was from maybe mid-2013 on.

Last edited:
Hicks and Martin could be used interchangeably as that quick dive back. As for the moving sideways with the QB for a read option.. dunno Hicks is our man for that.

But think of Navy and that FB dive off the triple option.. you need that threat. Even if they learn Hicks will be a dive back always, he need not always get the ball just like when the QB is scraping the line doing the read option, you shouldn't know if it is the QB or the RB who will carry. The quick dive takes the "read" out of the read option.. but it still works to keep the D honest.

And while we're doing wishes.. get another KO and punt return guy.. how about letting Cioffi take a shot?

I hope that Hicks runs for 200 and Gio throws for 300

I also look forward to watching this board spontaneously explode if they do

Curious to see if they move Goodwin outside to WR. He has the 4th highest number of receptions among active players.

Would keep Goodwin's hands on the field, and let Hicks carry the rock more.
Why not just go to a two back set like many of us have been clamoring for. It puts your best talent on the field and if you don't want to stay in the two back set you can always motion one out. Probably Goodwin he has the best hands and by motioning him he won't get tied up at the line of scrimmage.

That has been my biggest pet peeve with Mehringer. You don't have much talent, why not put what little you have out on the field. Hell I bet some of our RB's are quicker than our sundial 40 time WR's. We're spreading teams out but they don't have the quickness to get off the line.

Last edited:
Reactions: RUMountie
My take on Hicks and Gio.....Coach Ash says who plays based on effort prior to game day. Our OC does not want to step on Head coaches toes and goes along with it.

My take on Hicks and Gio.....Coach Ash says who plays based on effort prior to game day. Our OC does not want to step on Head coaches toes and goes along with it.
I can definitely imagine this scenario. The cumulative effect of the losses could have persuaded Ash to give Drew some flexibility. Of course it's all speculation..

+1 on Ash' s attitude when he got here. " I' m from Columbus and I" 'll show you how to do things." Flood may not have been able to recruit but his offenses won games in 2014 & 2015.

Translation: We never sucked this bad under Flood.

I get the sense that a number of RU vultures are circling above looking for a reason to get a piece of Ash and Mehringer. A loss at Minny will only grow their ranks.

IMO there is a lot of pressure on Gio in this game. He didn't start too many games in hs and now he faces a hostile B1G crowd in his first college start in Minnesota. I'm hoping our run game is effective early and that our Defense has a good game because Gio is likely to get lots of different looks from the Minny defense, including pressure on passing downs. Very important that we have a good 1st quarter if we want to stay in the game.

I'm hopeful but also concerned about the outcome of this one. Our play on the road this season doesn't indicate a strong performance here.

He couldn't throw to first base because of steroids?
Yes this is not uncommon, he got so muscle bound his
throw changed and could not throw the way he did all
his life. I'm not making up the steroid part after appearing
on the list he admitted to it.

Yes this is not uncommon, he got so muscle bound his
throw changed and could not throw the way he did all
his life. I'm not making up the steroid part after appearing
on the list he admitted to it.
I find it that hard to believe, but if that's the case so be it.

I still think some kids rise to the occasion and some don't. That's in sports as well as in life.

Gio and Hicks playing is as close to what an offense like this needs (along with Martin/Sneed and better WR's)......it's ironic that at 2-5, suddenly we are turning to Gio and Hicks when these changes could've been made 4 games ago. Hicks can perhaps play defense, which I would be fine with, but the staff then doesn't elevate or develop players like Trey Sneed.

The board is going to explode, because there should be more first downs and points scored, because we aren't playing Ohio State/Michigan and we are hopefully not going to have 5+ turnovers (I consider a turnover on downs from a bad snap, where you actually don't get a play executed as a turnover).

The items like not botching snaps, not playing Laviano and perhaps playing Hicks/Martin and Gio as a running threat all make sense on the surface. It doesn't mean Gio is the answer, but Hicks has in the past proven to be a B1G caliber running back, something that no other back on the roster outside of Martin has shown. As much as I like Goodwin out of the backfield, he's not a between the tackles, "fall-forward" for the extra yard-type of back that Hicks is or has shown in the past.

At 2-5, the staff is essentially out of options and can no longer play games or politics with the roster or playing time....starting Gio and now "getting Hicks involved", shows that there is legitimate pressure on Ash to not get completely embarrassed and to have a competitive showing vs Minnesota and the rest of the year. The last piece of the puzzle is when does the staff either play Kemoko Turay on passing situations or ultimately decide to cut bait, if he's not being a team-oriented player.

Going 2-10 and winless in the conference has to be avoided at all costs, it has the potential to do further damage to season ticket sales, attendance and impact donations and those factors have more of an impact than anything else in attempting to rebuild the program. Hicks has to play to help Gio and Martin against a very disciplined and well-coached Minnesota program.

ADVERTISEMENT