ADVERTISEMENT

Resolution of Assault Case Against Former RU Football Players

Knight Shift

Legend
May 19, 2011
Jersey Shore
http://www.app.com/story/sports/col...lt-stephenson-guilty-plea-probation/84665896/

All in all, good news for Gross, Barnwell and Daryl Stephenson. Hope they all can keep out of trouble and move on with their lives.

Former Rutgers football player Delon Stephenson pleaded guilty to third-degree aggravated assault last month in Middlesex County Superior Court, which opened doors to resolution for others charged in the April 2015 fight on Delafield Street in New Brunswick.

Stephenson’s attorney, Michael Orozco, is expected to argue for probation based on his client’s record.

As first-time offenders, Razohnn Gross, Nadir Barnwell and Daryl Stephenson – Delon’s older brother – were admitted into pre-trial intervention earlier this week. All three are former Rutgers football players, though Daryl was not a team member at the time.

Those accepted into the probationary program plead guilty to a lesser offense but can have their records cleared after a few years if they stay out of trouble and complete the requirements of their agreement.
The other former Rutgers players charged in the alleged assault, Tejay Johnson and Ruhann Peele, were not eligible for PTI as repeat offenders.
Johnson, who separately is charged with three counts of armed robbery stemming from an alleged string of New Brunswick home invasions, has been in jail since September unable to raise his $325,000 bail.

Peele is not eligible because he was arrested on an assault charge in October, after being dismissed from the team. He also had an assault charge dismissed in 2014, when he was suspended from the team for most of the season.

Authorities also tied former Rutgers players Dre Boggs and Lloyd Terry to some of the alleged robberies.

Considering Daryl Stephenson voluntarily ended his football career after the 2014 season and Gross was a walk-on, Barnwell, a former four-star recruit from Piscataway who also was at the center of Flood's academic impropriety scandal, is most likely to look for avenues to restart his college football career now that he has some resolution.

Didn't know you're a reporter.

Considering Daryl Stephenson voluntarily ended his football career after the 2014 season and Gross was a walk-on, Barnwell, a former four-star recruit from Piscataway who also was at the center of Flood's academic impropriety scandal, is most likely to look for avenues to restart his college football career now that he has some resolution.
Hope Ash is on the phone.

Awesome. We get our secondary back!

Today I learned that DUI apparently doesn't count towards your "first offense" record.

Reactions: Plum Street
Today I learned that DUI apparently doesn't count towards your "first offense" record.

It does not, as it is essentially a traffic violation.

My general rule of thumb has always been, "There wasn't a jury, so it doesn't count."

th

If they clear a record does that mean he has to answer yes on a job application about felony conviction? I assume so but never really thought about it.

Will this also show up on a background check?

Barnwell has a chance to be very good . I wouldn't mind seeing him back on the team . Someone will give him a shot . Ovbisouly , it's ash's call and in year 1 he doesn't need to take this risk so I don't expect barnwell back . But if reinstating him helps us land his younger brother ..

Barnwell and others,If they want to get back playing,need to start again at a lower level,less pressure and also get a degree.This wasn,t Barnwells first time ,or second time getting in trouble. None of these players should attempt to play at a big stage again and should focus on getting back on straight path and a degree,first and foremost.
Ash should get on the phone? You are kidding,I hope.

Reactions: valkabit and rutino
Barnwell has a chance to be very good . I wouldn't mind seeing him back on the team . Someone will give him a shot . Ovbisouly , it's ash's call and in year 1 he doesn't need to take this risk so I don't expect barnwell back . But if reinstating him helps us land his younger brother ..

I believe in seond chances, but I dont think this is the place...i dont think Ash would li to create an unnecessary link to Flood, brother or no brother....not sure we should go for the brother anyway, its baggage we dont need

Wow, oldman87 has been gone so long some people have forgotten while others never knew.
How many people here ever got in a fight in college? Whether you started it, your friend started it, you were coming to the defense of someone else.. how many of you had MULTIPLE such incidents where you could have been charged with something had someone pressed the issue.. even if they were the guilty party?

Now, I only knocked over a half a dozen crack houses in my day...

I think each incident needs to be examined and if someone like Barnwell was more of a victim in bad judgement getting involved in others disputes then that should be considered. As an instigator.. no way. Look at Carroo.. when the facts were known, that "domestic dispute" looked ridiculous. We want them all to be perfect.. but they are human.

We are swimming with the big fish now. How would Ohio State, Alabama, Florida State, Clemson, Oklahoma, and Baylor handle this situation?

Who cares, and i dont think aspiring to be Baylor, is what RU look to as a role model.
Pointing out that you can not have a zero tolerance for bad behavior and win. Florida State and Jameis Winston is an easy example.

Nope, had the opportunity and blew it. Tons of good kids out there who don't need time after time to see their potential. Good luck with getting your life together but not on RU's dime.

Reactions: valkabit
We are swimming with the big fish now. How would Ohio State, Alabama, Florida State, Clemson, Oklahoma, and Baylor handle this situation?

Most of those schools wouldn't care. They have 2nd teamers just as good waiting in the wings.

Barnwell has 2 years of eligibility left. If he goes to a D1 school would he only be able to play 1 year?

From the outside I don't see how Ash could possibly bring him back with all the baggage.

Is Barnwell's case any worse than Corey Clement's at Wisonsin, who got off with a single game suspension? Seems tame in comparison.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/14981162/wisconsin-rb-corey-clement-seeks-fresh-start

That night, Clement was cited in Madison for two counts of disorderly conduct after throwing the first punch during a dispute at his off-campus apartment. He sustained a cut on his hand and was forced to pay $848 in fines.

Initially, Clement misled school officials by insisting he was the victim in the altercation, claiming several men attacked him and a security guard. But the police report, which included video surveillance of the incident, noted he used "derogatory and sexually explicit language directed toward a female" and instigated the fight. The findings prompted Chryst to leave Clement off the traveling squad for Wisconsin's regular-season finale at Minnesota.
That night, Clement was cited in Madison for two counts of disorderly conduct after throwing the first punch during a dispute at his off-campus apartment. He sustained a cut on his hand and was forced to pay $848 in fines.

Initially, Clement misled school officials by insisting he was the victim in the altercation, claiming several men attacked him and a security guard. But the police report, which included video surveillance of the incident, noted he used "derogatory and sexually explicit language directed toward a female" and instigated the fight. The findings prompted Chryst to leave Clement off the traveling squad for Wisconsin's regular-season finale at Minnesota.

I've known Nadir since little league baseball. Did he make some bad choices? yes; but he is not a thug like the SL made him out to be. In my view, the way the SL and others grouped all the kids and incidents together was completely inaccurate and inappropriate. I've always found Nadir to be extremely respectful and a good kid, which makes the whole series of events so unfortunate. As far as grades, in my opinion Piscataway does not do a great job of preparing students for college unless you take all honors and AP classes. By way of background, I went to Piscataway as did both my kids, who are now at Rutgers. My daughter, who is straight A's and in the honors program at Rutgers, took the same theater appreciation class and explained to me that students had to arrange transportation to see the plays that were in NYC, Princeton, and some in NB. I'm not saying that is hard but I do see how a student athlete could find themselves trying to juggle the logistics and schedule. That's not intended as an excuse, more of an explaination or comment. I wish nothing but the best for Nadir and personally would love to see him back at RU if the coaches made that decision. I'll root for him wherever he goes.

I've known Nadir since little league baseball. Did he make some bad choices? yes; but he is not a thug like the SL made him out to be. In my view, the way the SL and others grouped all the kids and incidents together was completely inaccurate and inappropriate. I've always found Nadir to be extremely respectful and a good kid, which makes the whole series of events so unfortunate. As far as grades, in my opinion Piscataway does not do a great job of preparing students for college unless you take all honors and AP classes. By way of background, I went to Piscataway as did both my kids, who are now at Rutgers. My daughter, who is straight A's and in the honors program at Rutgers, took the same theater appreciation class and explained to me that students had to arrange transportation to see the plays that were in NYC, Princeton, and some in NB. I'm not saying that is hard but I do see how a student athlete could find themselves trying to juggle the logistics and schedule. That's not intended as an excuse, more of an explaination or comment. I wish nothing but the best for Nadir and personally would love to see him back at RU if the coaches made that decision. I'll root for him wherever he goes.
Thank you for that. I agree that the kids in this incident were unfairly lumped together with the other incident. It's nice to hear that Nadir may have a chance to have another shot. As someone else above noted, many of us have been around or in a fight as college students (or even adults). I gave the example of how Wisconsin handled the Corey CLement situation, which, in my opinion was far more severe than what Nadir did. I wish him well.

Reactions: phs73rc77gsm83
How many people here ever got in a fight in college? Whether you started it, your friend started it, you were coming to the defense of someone else.. how many of you had MULTIPLE such incidents where you could have been charged with something had someone pressed the issue.. even if they were the guilty party?

I think each incident needs to be examined and if someone like Barnwell was more of a victim in bad judgement getting involved in others disputes then that should be considered. As an instigator.. no way. Look at Carroo.. when the facts were known, that "domestic dispute" looked ridiculous. We want them all to be perfect.. but they are human.

The facts are now known in the Carroo incident? - I doubt that beyond a handful of people, few know what really went down that day.

Bringing Barnwell back doesn't exactly dovetail well with "changing the culture" which has been one of Ash's montras so I agree completely with those of you who have stated that there is no way he returns to RU. However, it does seem that he was guilty of far less of a transgression than many of the others involved so getting a second chance at another school would be a good thing for him. It might be a good move for Ash to try and help Nadir move on to another program. This would send the message to another school that Nadir isn't as bad as he was made out to be and it would keep Ash in good graces with the family vis a vis Nadir's brother.

Speaking of crack houses, I wonder whatever happen to that RU coach that got caught in a crack house raid? I think he was one of Graber's (or Shea's?) assistants. That was pretty big news at the time. I wonder if someone ever gave him another chance.

Speaking of crack houses, I wonder whatever happen to that RU coach that got caught in a crack house raid? I think he was one of Graber's (or Shea's?) assistants. That was pretty big news at the time. I wonder if someone ever gave him another chance.
Arnold Jeter's contract at Rutgers wasn't renewed after being suspended and was out of coaching for a couple of years after his 1992 arrest.
He got another chance as an assistant at New Jersey City University (Division III) and move up to the HC position there in 2001 until the school dropped FB in 2003. Jeter then stayed on working in their athletic department until he retired in 2012

Reactions: The Original Rah
Arnold Jeter's contract at Rutgers wasn't renewed after being suspended and was out of coaching for a couple of years after his 1992 arrest.
He got another chance as an assistant at New Jersey City University (Division III) and move up to the HC position there in 2001 until the school dropped FB in 2003. Jeter then stayed on working in their athletic department until he retired in 2012
Interesting. Sounds like he straighten himself up. Good for him. I like happy endings. Thank you very much for that info.

Reactions: MADHAT1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT