ADVERTISEMENT

Respect, belonging but not ready to seize the moment

bac2therac

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 30, 2001
Belle Mead NJ
Schiano has worked wonders in just over a year. Rutgers is now legitimately competing with the so called elite programs of the Big 10. I do not think this was a one game fluke. Michigan is a very good team, perhaps not as good as originally thought coming into the game but likely a top 25 school nonetheless.

Once again we saw another example of what "Keep Choppin" can do. I wrote the team and game off after the puzzling decision to go for it on 4th and 10 which fortunately only led to a fg but down 20-3 things were not looking good and RU was being dominated at the line while still not actually playing all that bad. It was the definition of keep chopping at halftime and coming out in the 2nd half with an ability to believe that they could compete and be successful against Michigan. For years in Big 10 play, RU would have already lost before the first snap as they would either be intimidated by the crowd or lack any belief that they belonged on the field. Despite still lagging a bit in talent, the gap has been closed enough and the belief is easily present that RU can compete in the Big 10.

In fact I think this game was probably RU's best overall and most legit game ever against a Big 10 program. Yes this overshadows games vs Michigan, Penn State and Michigan State given this was on the road. This was a game on national tv, abc for all to watch and RU proved that they belong. An exciting down to the wire finish where they just could not get over the hump but make no mistake as a program we gained enormous respect around the country.

Piggybacking on Shack's thread, I do not think this was a moral victory. Moral victories are if you do not think that RU belongs. The spread may have been 20 but that does not represent where RU is as a program.

RU had the belief, they made some incredible plays on offense where the confidence was absolutely sensational in driving down the field in a hostile environment. The defense was on point. Was it 3 or 4 straight 3 and outs against Michigan at their house after they basically chewed up time and yardage in the first half. Rutgers dominated the third quarter and into the 4th like they were the better team. Michigan looked gassed and ready to hand us the game. You could smell the victory. This was the kind of game where as a RU fan you watched for years in big spots in the Big East. RU up and looking good and then the opponent seizing momentum and doing all the things to win at the end. RU had all the momentum and was in the drivers seat despite being behind. Make no mistakes, Michigan and their fans were worried and likely left their stadium with skids

What Rutgers could not do was seal the deal. Their inexperience in big games and big moments caught up with them. We are far along in the build, farther than anyone could imagine but the moment was a little too big for them today. Team and more importantly the coaching staff tightened up a bit from what was working in the third. The expecations of tasting the victory seemed to get to them. Nerves, jitters, crucial penalties in enormous spots...two brutal one on first and goal and the 2nd on what should have set up another third down. Plays not getting run in quickly causing RU to use all of their timeouts. What should have been simple running plays up the middle on 3rd and 4th downs become harder than they should have been. Then absolutely stunning play calling with no timeout left with Vedral running the ball..wtf moment of a few today. In the end, both the staff and players could not get out of their own way. Physically they were ready to win this game, mentally not quite there.

And that is okay, I dont want to seem like I am criticizing harshly. This will be a loss that EVERYONE learns from. RU will have its moment in the sun with a signature win, it may be this year, it may be next year but clearly its going to happen. Its okay it did not happen today but what we could take as fans is that we have erased the stain of the Ash era already and are better positioned than we ever have been since we joined the Big 10. Good times ahead

This team is two seasons removed from a 52-0 loss to Michigan. Ash's last thank God.

Last two games were a couple of plays from going in the win column. No doubt we'll get there.
We were 2 or 3 plays (or ref correct calls) from a 20-17 win. As we continue to grow we will make them plays. I also think this game helps with recruiting.

They host powerful Western Kentucky before playing us. What an fff’n joke.
I believe we will give them the first loss in 2 weeks.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT