ADVERTISEMENT

Return to Jersey Mike's Arena: No. 24 Rutgers Wrestling Hosts, No. 20 MSU(Friday), No. 3 Michigan(Sunday)

I know we have had some up and down results and news lately.

Certainly the kind of stuff you don't want to hear about in the off season let alone in January but I for one can't wait to get to our first home match Friday.

I am pumped to see a huge crowd, the wrestlers doing their thing, and forget about all the other unimportant shit aside from RU wrestling. I am going w a few of my buddies who are alumni from the wrestling team.

Go ru

MSU is certainly beatable so hopefully we will have a great atmosphere and can knock them off

Reactions: Peteras9144
MSU is certainly beatable so hopefully we will have a great atmosphere and can knock them off
Looking at the matchups I feel we are underdogs… we need to win the tossups to win here..

Ik ppl were putting a positive spin on the Indiana lost but if we lose this match and lose to Maryland we would essentially have went from the middle of the pack in b10 to the worst team..

Looking at the matchups I feel we are underdogs… we need to win the tossups to win here..

Ik ppl were putting a positive spin on the Indiana lost but if we lose this match and lose to Maryland we would essentially have went from the middle of the pack in b10 to the worst team..
Agreed. It's by no means a slam dunk or an easy task, but it's certainly possible assuming we can win some of those toss-ups and we have Boone available.

MS/Rutgers match up.

125 - R Peterson should win another but could be close
133 - MS
141 - R Olivieri with maybe a major
149 - R White decision
157 - MS close with chance of upset
165 - MS Hope just a 3-pointer
174 - MS Turley not back to form yet or at all
184 - R Soldano but maybe real close
197 - MS Not close
285 - Depends on who wrestles

A healthy Boone could make the difference. Upsets either way will turn the match around.

Yeah, without Boone it will be very difficult since O'Donnell has been getting absolutely dominated by anyone with a pulse. He is good for at a minimum 4 points to MSU but more than likely 5 to 6 given that he has lost 30-0 in his last two matches.

Here's how Wrestlestat predicts it: Michigan State over Rutgers 18 - 15

125: Dean Peterson (Rutgers) over Tristan Lujan (Michigan State) DEC 5 - 3
133: Rayvon Foley (Michigan State) over Joe Heilmann (Rutgers) DEC 8 - 4
141: Joey Olivieri (Rutgers) over Jordan Hamdan (Michigan State) DEC 7 - 3
149: Anthony White (Rutgers) over Peyton Omania (Michigan State) DEC 7 - 4
157: Chase Saldate (Michigan State) over Andrew Clark (Rutgers) DEC 6 - 3
165: Caleb Fish (Michigan State) over Connor O'Neill (Rutgers) MD 11 - 2
174: Jackson Turley (Rutgers) over Ceasar Garza (Michigan State) DEC 8 - 7
184: Brian Soldano (Rutgers) over Layne Malczewski (Michigan State) DEC 13 - 6
197: Cameron Caffey (Michigan State) over Billy Janzer (Rutgers) MD 14 - 4
285: Ryan Vasbinder over John O'Donnell MD 12 - 4

I would say most of the predictions are pretty fair/reasonable but even us losing by 3 (and being put into a position to win an upset/tossup) already puts a lot of pressure on White and Turley who have been inconsistent this year. Neither of their opponents are elite or even very good, so they are winnable but its been a coin flip with them at times. Hopefully the crowd can will them to victory.

Having Janzer and O'Neill not give up bonus points would be huge which then could lead to maybe someone like Oliveri sneaking in some bonus points

Soldano's opponent isn't a pushover as he is a 5th year and 3x NQ

Aside from someone getting caught randomly our best chance for an upset is probably with Clark but Saldate is wrestling very well right now as he just beat Will Lewan (who finished 5th last year) and Brayton Lee (who finished 6th in 21) last weekend or Heilmann. Foley is always tough but is beatable at times.

Saldate is one of my NCAA upset guys from last year. The results so far have shown he can beat the best. I lived and coached in Cali nearby when he was at Gilroy.
Going to be a very tough match to get the upset in. Rooting for Clark to bring his A game.

I think our best shot is heilman. Maybe Kannaird if he's back and healthy.

Going to need an upset or 2 to Win without Boone

125- R 3
133- M 3
141- R 4
149- R 3
157- M 3
165- M 3
174- M 3
184- R 3
197- M 3
285- M 4

MSU 19 RU 13

Not sure why a wrestling school like RU would have a non competitive heavyweight. Even in reserve
Only 9.9 scholarships to spread around.. hard to have depth everywhere unless you’re penn state or Iowa.

We have PJ Casale at heavyweight who was a NJ State Champ and Gold Medalist in the Pan Am games, Don’t know why he hasn't wrestled this year. He is much better than O’Donnell,

I think Heilmann beats Foley who hasn't looked good in most of his bouts this year although he an a couple of good victories. Think Soldano wins by major. We win 17-16.

Yeah, without Boone it will be very difficult since O'Donnell has been getting absolutely dominated by anyone with a pulse. He is good for at a minimum 4 points to MSU but more than likely 5 to 6 given that he has lost 30-0 in his last two matches.

Here's how Wrestlestat predicts it: Michigan State over Rutgers 18 - 15

125: Dean Peterson (Rutgers) over Tristan Lujan (Michigan State) DEC 5 - 3
133: Rayvon Foley (Michigan State) over Joe Heilmann (Rutgers) DEC 8 - 4
141: Joey Olivieri (Rutgers) over Jordan Hamdan (Michigan State) DEC 7 - 3
149: Anthony White (Rutgers) over Peyton Omania (Michigan State) DEC 7 - 4
157: Chase Saldate (Michigan State) over Andrew Clark (Rutgers) DEC 6 - 3
165: Caleb Fish (Michigan State) over Connor O'Neill (Rutgers) MD 11 - 2
174: Jackson Turley (Rutgers) over Ceasar Garza (Michigan State) DEC 8 - 7
184: Brian Soldano (Rutgers) over Layne Malczewski (Michigan State) DEC 13 - 6
197: Cameron Caffey (Michigan State) over Billy Janzer (Rutgers) MD 14 - 4
285: Ryan Vasbinder over John O'Donnell MD 12 - 4

I would say most of the predictions are pretty fair/reasonable but even us losing by 3 (and being put into a position to win an upset/tossup) already puts a lot of pressure on White and Turley who have been inconsistent this year. Neither of their opponents are elite or even very good, so they are winnable but its been a coin flip with them at times. Hopefully the crowd can will them to victory.

Having Janzer and O'Neill not give up bonus points would be huge which then could lead to maybe someone like Oliveri sneaking in some bonus points

Soldano's opponent isn't a pushover as he is a 5th year and 3x NQ

Aside from someone getting caught randomly our best chance for an upset is probably with Clark but Saldate is wrestling very well right now as he just beat Will Lewan (who finished 5th last year) and Brayton Lee (who finished 6th in 21) last weekend or Heilmann. Foley is always tough but is beatable at times.
The problem wit this is wrestle stat has us losing and that’s with us winning 3 tossups.. White, Turley, and Soldano are all tossups/maybe we small fav.. without Boone we need like a perfect match to win.. usually that hasn’t fair well for us..

We have PJ Casale at heavyweight who was a NJ State Champ and Gold Medalist in the Pan Am games, Don’t know why he hasn't wrestled this year. He is much better than O’Donnell,

I think Heilmann beats Foley who hasn't looked good in most of his bouts this year although he an a couple of good victories. Think Soldano wins by major. We win 17-16.
Bill said O’Donnell is going to make an impact.. so maybe Casale isn’t winning in the room… that would be Bad.. he has 5 free matches y not just try it..

Heilman/Foley is tossup but I think Foley is a past AA and has had many nice wins.. I predict Foley winning but ofc I want Heilman/need him to win to chance upset..

Soldano stock down again after Romero match.. the MSU kid there is tough, he beat poz last year… match is pretty much tossup rn.. we also need this match to win.. feels like we need too many things to happen to win tbh

I know we have had some up and down results and news lately.

Certainly the kind of stuff you don't want to hear about in the off season let alone in January but I for one can't wait to get to our first home match Friday.

I am pumped to see a huge crowd, the wrestlers doing their thing, and forget about all the other unimportant shit aside from RU wrestling. I am going w a few of my buddies who are alumni from the wrestling team.

Go ru
Some of the folks here don't like wrestling, only winning.

Only 9.9 scholarships to spread around.. hard to have depth everywhere unless you’re penn state or Iowa.
Not even PSU has depth everywhere. 125 has been a struggle lately. It's very rare that they even qualify all 10 weights for nationals. You're right regarding the scholarships; that makes it very difficult to have quality depth.

Not even PSU has depth everywhere. 125 has been a struggle lately. It's very rare that they even qualify all 10 weights for nationals. You're right regarding the scholarships; that makes it very difficult to have quality depth.
Even Iowa has no backup for Spencer at 125.. his backup always gives up bonus..

We have depth, but just not everywhere and that applies to pretty much every program out there.

Sammy left and Oliveri stepped in without missing a beat. If Soldano were go down, Poz (assuming he is healthy) could go. Same with Peterson & Shawver.

Peterson wins 6-3. Not his best match but was fine overall

Heilmann great 4-3 win over a ranked opponent. Got a takedown on a nice scramble, then earned a point because Foley grabbed headgear, then riding time point

Will never understand why the TV scoreboard graphics rarely include riding time. It’s a pretty big deal

Reactions: jerzey devil
Couple 6 point moves and a ref who refuses to call a pin and Olivieri earns a major. 10-0 RU. Great start.

Now White needs to stay out of the Omania headlock

Reactions: biker7766
White wins 5-3.

13-0 Rutgers. Could not have started much better than this.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT