ADVERTISEMENT

Podcast RFootball OV Weekend No. 2 Preview and Recruiting Updates!

Maybe not the right thread, could not find the other one, but The Athletic raved about our first big recruiting weekend. These types of articles are rare for Rutgers. Paywalled, but snippets of praise reproduced.

I've said it before, and I don't know if @Richie O and @mb5789 agree, whatever we are selling in messaging seems to be working, even if we may be short on NIL compared to other teams. Maybe NIL is not such a large factor for freshman recruits. But this coaching staff is aligned and sending a great message to recruits.

"No other program had a more productive first weekend of summer official visits. The Scarlet Knights landed commitments from 10 Class of 2025 prospects in a three-day period, headlined by three-star offensive lineman N-kye Wynn."

"Kaba and offensive lineman Chris Vigna, who both live in New Jersey, credited their bond with Schiano as the difference maker. In Vigna’s case, he and his family went back to their car to leave for the weekend after their individual meeting with Schiano on Sunday, only for Vigna to knock on the door of the football facility a few minutes later so he could commit to Schiano and the coaching staff on the spot.

“When they were expressing to me how important I was to them, it was just really remarkable,” Vigna said. “It just stuck with me.”

“None of the coaches are telling you what you want to hear. They’re telling you what you need to hear,” Murray said.

"After going 7-6 in 2023, the program’s first winning record since 2014, Schiano now has proven results as he looks to build Rutgers into a winner for the second time in his career. That success, plus the messaging from coaches, has resonated with prospects and current Rutgers commits believe there’s still more to come."

Results from 1st weekend allows us to be more picky and look to fill based on needs.
I think what is understated is the caliber of Gregg's staff and how that has to impress the recruits and their family. If we have a successful 2024 campaign, then 2025 recruiting will be even better and so on. That's building for the long term.

So was there no more room at the Inn for Matthews?? His in-state ranking dropped and his recruitment seems a bit odd having already decomitting from PSU.
Honestly we could care less about this player. Flips and flops back and forth. Sounds like a Prima Dona and that we don’t want. He knows exactly who Rutgers is, why the staff wanted him but oddly he probably was told the exact same thing by Schiano as did Franklin. If you commit you don’t take other visits. Those days of Prima Dona (Guarantano ) and others are over. Immaturity at it’s finest with Matthew.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT