ADVERTISEMENT

RHJ - NBA Combine

NickRU714

Heisman Winner
Aug 18, 2009
Back on topic........

They posted the official measurement and drill numbers.
Unfornatuely, Ron is near the bottom of every athletic drill.
And as discussed, his measurables weren't great either (8th in weight and 3rd in body fat%)

There are going to serious questions about his ability to defend against faster players - both bigger and smaller
6'5.5"(with shoes) is very small for a wing player in the NBA.

Will also be questions about generating his own shot against bigger, more athletic players on the wing.
Luckily he's a very good shooter so you could stick him in a corner and he'll knock down drive and kick 3s with ease.

Forgot to record the games last night and trying to find them online.

https://www.nba.com/stats/draft/combine-anthro/?sort=BODY_FAT_PCT&dir=1

The combine games rarely mean anything, as long as the player doesn’t look out of place for good or bad reasons it usually doesn’t do anything. Harper shooting 1-6 isn’t gonna change him from second round to undrafted.

There is a 2 - way contract in line for RHJ which doesn't have anything to do if he is or isn't drafted. The 2-way is kinda like a call-up for injuries and allows kids to play at a G-League level to stay ready. If they get called up to the NBA team, it is likely to have an extra body or two, in case they're needed.

All of RHJs work or showings are going to be handled in the Vegas or Orlando/Utah summer leagues. Which to me, is the best and fastest way to evaluate whether the player can adapt to the speed and pace of the NBA game.

RHJ has items associated with his game which all are on the upside. He can't get shorter or shoot much worse than 1 of 6 from 3, so once he lands on the Summer League circuit, that's when it's go time.

You don't block shots with your head and don't close out on shooters with your head and you don't get in passing lanes with your head.

True.
But if you also need speed and agility to get close enough to use those long arms.

If your vertical leap is bad and/or you don't have the speed to keep up with a moving guy or speed to recover to close out - then your standing still long arms aren't helping much.

Combine great arm length with vertical leap/speed and now you get closer to how a guy will block a shot or close out and disrupt a shot or play defense.

Here's a Mavs draft Scouting report
His team is destroying the other team today.

Thanks for posting that Blind. To me, the most interesting thing in the report were the references to Ron having significantly improved during his senior year. It begs the question of how much more he could have improved in one more year. Oh well.

Hopefully, Ron will be able to continue his improvement at the next level.

Thanks for posting that Blind. To me, the most interesting thing in the report were the references to Ron having significantly improved during his senior year. It begs the question of how much more he could have improved in one more year. Oh well.

Hopefully, Ron will be able to continue his improvement at the next level.
Wouldn't have been enough to improve his draft stock

If i saw correctly his wingspan is 7'. Isn't someone's wingspan more important than their height?
Was gonna say.. if he really is less than 6'6" he certainly plays taller on D. That wingspan would explain that... while his height might explain his trouble taking it into the lane against true "bigs".

Reactions: DirtyRU
I don’t think teams looking to bring in RHJ are looking for a superstar. They want a worker who’s a great teammate with upside and makes winning plays. Bad scoring games in the combine likely aren’t detractors for him
Yea I mean he had a dunk taken away from his teammate committing a charge.

But he showed what he's going to be in the NBA. A 3 and D guy. He's not an isolation player, he's a catch and shoot 3 pt guy.

That doesn't mean he can't take the ball off the bounce but he's not going to be asked to create offense

I don’t think teams looking to bring in RHJ are looking for a superstar. They want a worker who’s a great teammate with upside and makes winning plays. Bad scoring games in the combine likely aren’t detractors for him
A knock on Harper is that he's streaky. Has off games. So some consistency in the games wouldn't hurt.

Harper highest +/- at 23
Yes and he didn’t score much so I’m guessing he played good team Defense which should come as no surprise. Williams scored 19 and was 7-8 but only a +9. Means he can shoot but maybe not so worried about help defense.

I watched a brief segment of the second game. I don’t think there’s that much for the scouts to take from them one way or the other as it resembled an AAU pick up game to me where everyone is out for themselves.

Harper highest +/- at 23
In Game 7 of the Wester Conf qtr finals, Reggie Bullock of Mavs was +44. He played 32 mins and had 5 pts, 1-4 from field, with 2 turnovers, 3 rebs, and 0 assists.

In Game 7 of the Wester Conf qtr finals, Reggie Bullock of Mavs was +44. He played 32 mins and had 5 pts, 1-4 from field, with 2 turnovers, 3 rebs, and 0 assists.
I love Ron but the second game I don’t think the +/- in the second game meant very much. It was annoying to watch actually as nobody passed him the ball. Nothing he could really do about it.

I imagine the agent text to player before these games goes something like this :

Remember, Don't pass the fuc*ing ball
I would think that's a negative if guys were passing up obvious passes for teammates in better position to score. Yes, you want to show you can create on your own too, but the best NBA teams still have to play like TEAMS.

ADVERTISEMENT