ADVERTISEMENT

RIP JPHoboken - Big RU Fan and Message Board Participant

jellyman

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Jul 25, 2001
To All,

I wanted to let everyone know the sad news that a huge RU fan, proud Cook Grad (not sure which class, but sometime around 1980, I think), and occasional message board participant under the moniker of JPHoboken, tragically passed away way too young this past Friday after a 3-year battle with cancer.

JP was a great fan - and a long time season ticket holder, and a friend of mine.

RIP and best wishes to his family (brother, wife and 2 young daughters) and friends.

Last edited:
What awful news. He and I lived in adjacent building in Jersey City for awhile. I had no idea he was sick. Far too young. RIP and comforting thoughts go out to his family.

John was a good guy and big supporter of Scarlet Knights.
I had some personal communication with him as I purchased his basketball season tix for a couple seasons during the Mike Rice era.
Also, I'm pretty sure he purchased Dick Anderson's house, ensuring a quick exit from the area after getting fired.

To All,

I wanted to let everyone know the sad news that a huge RU fan, proud RU Engineering Grad (not sure which class, but sometime in the early to mid-1980's), and occasional message board participant under the moniker of JPHoboken, tragically passed away way too young this past Friday after a 3-year battle with cancer.

JP was a great fan - and a long time season ticket holder, and a friend of mine.

RIP and best wishes to his family (brother, wife and 2 young daughters) and friends.
Just awful sad news. Condolences to his family. May he rest in peace.

If anyone wants funeral info, I have it (I intend to attend). The funeral is on Thursday morning at 10:30, followed by a Celebration of JP's Life at Noon in a different location (I cannot attend that).

I just celebrated the birthday of a brother who also died too young of cancer. Condolences to JP's family as they deal with this loss. Terrible news.

That is just awful. RIP and condolences and best wishes to his family.

Is there anything the mods can do to memorialize JPHoboken on this board for at least a short period, like post his stats on the main board? This board must have meant something to him. Thanks for posting - must have been difficult to do.

Sad news hearing about JPHoboken's passing.
My condolences to his family, friends , the RU community and all that knew and cared for JP.
RIP JPHoboken

Here is his reply to "What was the most amazing thing you have ever seen in person"
RIP

2cgcxll.png

OMG this is terrible news. Hadnt seen him here recently. He was an avid a RU fan of both football and hoops that you could find. Thoughts and prayers go out to his family. RIP JP

A familiar name on the boards. Damn. RIP JPHoboken.

Unreal; I'm not going to pretend like I knew JPHoboken personally but I've always enjoyed talking to him on the boards. To all of his friends and family, I'm very sorry for your loss and my thoughts and prayers are with you. To JPHoboken- we miss you already; keep an eye on things for all of us...Godspeed Loyal Son of Rutgers.

Last edited:
Rest in peace JP and condolences to his family and friends.....

Shit.

How can anyone not know the JPHobokken moniker.

Damn.

Wow, he was a regular and a great member of the community. God bless and rest in peace.

Terrible news. Hes been on the boards a long long time. RIP.

ADVERTISEMENT