ADVERTISEMENT

RIP Sportswriter J.P. Pelzman-Covered Rutgers

Knight Shift

Legend
May 19, 2011
Jersey Shore
J.P. worked for Gannett NJ-The Record. He stood out as being much better than the NJ.com writers, and he was let go. He was writing for Forbes.com and covering Seton Hall basketball for Rivals.

According to Jerry Carino, J.P. was 57, battling health issues, but his death was unexpected.

Rest in Peace.

A few of J.P.'s articles on Rutgers:

Damn. Do you people read obituaries every 5 mins?? Two obscure people died today and two posts about it while the body is still warm. A very creepy hobby.

Reactions: goru1869
Somebody dies and it gets reported What is weird about that?

Should they wait a week to report the news? A month? Did you hear a man landed on the moon?
Who says it must be reported at all? There is definitely an infatuation by some on here to be the person that "breaks the news". 90% of the obituaries are people nobody heard of.
Oh forgot to add RIP 🙏

Reactions: goru1869
Who says it must be reported at all? There is definitely an infatuation by some on here to be the person that "breaks the news". 90% of the obituaries are people nobody heard of.
Oh forgot to add RIP 🙏
Sounds like it is YOUR problem that YOU are one of the few people who never heard of him. He was a well-known beat writer for Rutgers, Seton Hall Hoops, the Jets, Mets and other teams. Rather than chiming in with your misdirected anger, you could just pass over the thread. What a concept.

J.P. worked for Gannett NJ-The Record. He stood out as being much better than the NJ.com writers, and he was let go. He was writing for Forbes.com and covering Seton Hall basketball for Rivals.

According to Jerry Carino, J.P. was 57, battling health issues, but his death was unexpected.

Rest in Peace.

A few of J.P.'s articles on Rutgers:

Damn. That is just way too young. RIP.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Damn. Do you people read obituaries every 5 mins?? Two obscure people died today and two posts about it while the body is still warm. A very creepy hobby.
Some feel the news of someone passing away is worth sharing others just pass by those threads with no complaint .
As for me, just the fact Mr. Pelzman covered Rutgers for a media outlet makes the news of his demise worth sharing on this board.

RIP JP Pelzman, my condolences go out to your family and friends, along with all who read and enjoyed the articles you put out in the media outlets you worked for.

People are dying to be argued over on this board? 🤔
Gives this board some life doing that
Go Me Yes GIF by Nick Jonas

Reactions: Knight Shift
That is a completely different take on "For Whom the Bell Tolls"

Therefore, send not to know
For whom the bell tolls,...

...because it is too soon

Great writer and way too young. This hits home as many of us here are in that age group. Love reading the Wright stories from Jerry - another pro’s pro. Speaks volumes about Jay too. Relationships matter. RIP J.P.

Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan
Great writer and way too young. This hits home as many of us here are in that age group. Love reading the Wright stories from Jerry - another pro’s pro. Speaks volumes about Jay too. Relationships matter. RIP J.P.
The point you made about age is a good one. As anr EMT while in college, I remember taking people in their late 50s to nursing homes. Also, I read JP came from a broken home, and from the write ups, it sounds like he died at home alone. Count your blessings if you are healthy and have someone in your life to grow old with.

Thanks for posting this. Found it interesting.
Don’t bother with some old grumpy complainer who is looking for an argument about why this post was started.
Thanks for that.

A lot of us disagree on various things. You and I don't agree on how recruiting is going . We can respectfully disagree, and realize that perhaps one of is is right, more right, or we are both right without getting mean about it. It is the nature of message boards. As far as the poster who complained, we agree on a lot of stuff. He is a long time fan and loyal fan, and I respect that. Sometimes he vents about stuff. It's nothing personal, it's just venting. We can all coexist here if we all accept that some things are important or noteworthy to some people and not so much to others, and leave it at that.

I strive to not argue with people on line, but sometimes I get sucked in. I also strive to not get into arguments with people in real life over stupid stuff, particularly when the other person is either a nasty or unhappy person. It took me a while to realize that you will never win an argument with such a person. Without revealing too much, in an organization I belong to, there is a guy who is in a bad marriage and hates his job. One of the most miserable people you would ever meeting in life. The guy complains about every single little stupid thing. If anyone makes the slightest of errors, he is there to call them out on it and to berate them. It's good to not be THAT person in life.

Back to JP, he really did have a way with words. He was a really good writer. When Gannet laid him off, I was not only bummed for him, but bummed that he was not covering Rutgers any more. I was glad when he was hired by Forbes, and while he did not write about Rutgers frequently, when he did, it was nice to read his fine writing again.

For the number of people who complain about Rutgers sports writers, we lost a gem in JP. While he is not of the same caliber as JP, the guy doing the coverage for Gannet now, Chris Iseman, is pretty good too. And he is a Syracuse grad. Go figure!

Happy Sunday. Stay cool, and celebrate the good things in life.

Reactions: MADHAT1
ADVERTISEMENT