ADVERTISEMENT

Ritchie Named Tennis Head Coach

It's only Women's Tennis. . . and yet, it tells you so much about how Hobbs views the non-revenue sports.

As a comparison point, Julie Hermann hired an excellent Coach for Women's Golf.

Meanwhile, the Women's Tennis Program has been a complete debacle, despite the fact that it is now fully funded.

there was an opportunity to elevate the program with a fantastic hire.

What message does this hire send to a kid like Maya Jacobs, Halah Davis, Grace Kim or Tess Fischer.

So yes, I understand why Hobbs hired her, but I still view this as a lost opportunity.

no question, this is Hobbs first mistake.

Hobbs second mistake there is no way Laura Brand should have been kept as head women's lacrosse coach

It's only Women's Tennis. . . and yet, it tells you so much about how Hobbs views the non-revenue sports.

No, it doesn't, and that's a completely ignorant statement to make quite honestly.

Anyway, you're big on hiring "ELITE" coaches, right? I get it, as I want the best for RU in EVERY sport as well (I grew up in an RU family, graduated from RU, and worked in the athletic department at one time...), but arguably one of our top 3 or 3 HC's, as of today, is Women's Soccer HC Mike O'Neill, agree? Coach was an assistant at RU, prior to taking over the program for Crooks, and far from "elite" however, now, he is on his way to being considered as such (actually may already be considered "elite" in women's soccer and recruiting circles...). My question: Did you SUPPORT that hire - made by JH - at the time?

My point is, and as I've said in our previous discussions, you DO NOT need nor can you hire elite coaches all the time because sometimes they're not available, sometimes not affordable, and sometimes the "other guy" gets the job done where the "elite" guy just may not have.

Now I am NO expert on women's tennis, not even close, and know very little of the college game and coaching - whereas you seem to be very close to women's college tennis, for whatever reason(s), so you may have some insight here as to OUR situation - but your claim as to what it "tells you," in regards to Hobbs thoughts on non-revenue sports (while telling us in the same breath that the program is "fully funded" which, if so, is fantastic!), is just head-shaking IMHO.

That's all have a great day!

Last edited:
Hobbs second mistake there is no way Laura Brand should have been kept as head women's lacrosse coach

Geeze man he(Hobbs) was hired right after the FH season ended let the guy get a year in, see WTF is going on and why, before he starts firing people.

Last edited:
No, it doesn't, and that's a completely ignorant statement to make quite honestly.

Anyway, you're big on hiring "ELITE" coaches, right? I get it, as I want the best for RU in EVERY sport as well (I grew up in an RU family, graduated from RU, and worked in the athletic department at one time...), but arguably one of our top 3 or 3 HC's, as of today, is Women's Soccer HC Mike O'Neill, agree? Coach was an assistant at RU, prior to taking over the program for Crooks, and far from "elite" however, now, he is on his way to being considered as such (actually may already be considered "elite" in women's soccer and recruiting circles...). My question: Did you SUPPORT that hire - made by JH - at the time?

My point is, and as I've said in our previous discussions, you DO NOT need nor can you hire elite coaches all the time because sometimes they're not available, sometimes not affordable, and sometimes the "other guy" gets the job done where the "elite" guy just may not have.

Now I am NO expert on women's tennis, not even close, and know very little of the college game and coaching - whereas you seem to be very close to women's college tennis, for whatever reason(s), so you may have some insight here as to OUR situation - but your claim as to what it "tells you," in regards to Hobbs thoughts on non-revenue sports (while telling us in the same breath that the program is "fully funded" which, if so, is fantastic!), is just head-shaking IMHO.

That's all have a great day!

The Opportunity to make a fantastic hire was available, and missed.

Rutgers, a B10 school. . . that's a fantastic opportunity for someone that has paid their dues, and worked their way up the ladder.

maybe it's a philosophical difference, but as the AD, every hire is an opportunity to not only reinforce your culture but to in fact upgrade it and express your commitment to winning.

Are you telling me that the Top Assist at UCLA, Vanderbilt or Duke wouldn't take a HC job at Rutgers in a New York Minute.

Unless you believe that the Top Asst at one of the Elite programs, makes more than the HC at Rutgers.

Where was the Press Conference?

This hire looks like some kind of backroom deal.

Nuts - We know what Hobbs strengths are (no controversy, knows major sports, great at fundraising and alum relations). We knew what Julie's strengths were (she knew Olympic sports real well from her time with Louisville).

Why is it surprising that Julie's choices in Olympic sports were more likely to be viewed positively by those who followed those sports, rather than someone whose experience never revolved around making hires in those sports?

It should not, and appealing to authority on the basis that Hobbs knows best is silly. This is not his area of expertise.

Now, this choice may work out, but who knows... I remain skeptical.

You guys might want to talk to people actually involved with some of these sports, in terms of fundraising, et al, before you stick with the conclusion that Hobbs doesn't care about the Olympic sports.

That being said how do we know that top assistants weren't reached out to? How do we know that they had no interest? How do we know that an assistant is an "elite" hire? We don't. Again, I have no idea if this will be a good hire, or not, and if we had a REALISTIC SHOT with a top-flight assistant from elsewhere, I'd be all for it, but without knowing all the facts it's kind of tough to make assumptions as such. That's all. Now let's hope for the best!

You guys might want to talk to people actually involved with some of these sports, in terms of fundraising, et al, before you stick with the conclusion that Hobbs doesn't care about the Olympic sports.

That being said how do we know that top assistants weren't reached out to? How do we know that they had no interest? How do we know that an assistant is an "elite" hire? We don't. Again, I have no idea if this will be a good hire, or not, and if we had a REALISTIC SHOT with a top-flight assistant from elsewhere, I'd be all for it, but without knowing all the facts it's kind of tough to make assumptions as such. That's all. Now let's hope for the best!

There's absolutely zero chance this hire stands up to scrutiny. That's why Hobbs didn't have a Press Conference to announce this hire. He didn't want to field questions from the Press.

Meanwhile, Julie Hermann made a dynamite hire for Women's Golf. So whatever excuse you want to make for Hobbs, is out of the window.

The Search Firm he used for Men's B-Ball and Football, could have generated a short list quite easily.

This is the second Bad hire for Women's sports in a row, under Hobbs. First Women's Lacrosse, and now Women's Tennis.

and this was a huge mistake, especially given the fact that Women's Tennis just became fully funded.

There's absolutely zero chance this hire stands up to scrutiny. That's why Hobbs didn't have a Press Conference to announce this hire. He didn't want to field questions from the Press.

Meanwhile, Julie Hermann made a dynamite hire for Women's Golf. So whatever excuse you want to make for Hobbs, is out of the window.

The Search Firm he used for Men's B-Ball and Football, could have generated a short list quite easily.

This is the second Bad hire for Women's sports in a row, under Hobbs. First Women's Lacrosse, and now Women's Tennis.

and this was a huge mistake, especially given the fact that Women's Tennis just became fully funded.

Uhm, he didn't "hire" the women's lax coach, Laura Brand, but nice try. She's been here 13 years and simply wasn't let go when he came aboard. REMEMBER, Hobbs came here in the middle of a disaster, between football, men's hoops, and the AD situation - along with all the fundraising, et al, that was underway and needed to be revamped/expanded/etc - so firing Olympic sport coaches at the time, let's be real, was way down the list. Remember he hasn't even been our AD for 9 freakin' months! BTW - I agree that it IS time for a change in Women's Lax!

Again, let's see what happens, but it's pretty obvious you're not too thrilled with Hobbs, so let's just leave it at that, but I'll bet you dollars-to-donuts that within 5 years our Olympic Sports are - as a whole - in a MUCH better place than they were when he was hired.

Also, I'm not a Julie-hater, at all, so my faith in Hobbs has nothing to do with her or her hires.

I find it funny that you completely ignored the fact that our Women's Soccer coach was hired from within. Top 3 coach at RU right now. Thank God we didn't go outside the family on the one!

Last edited:
Reactions: Underdogs88
Nuts - Women's soccer was a successful program before O'Neill. Women's tennis is not. That's the difference.

To answer your question, I would say 99% of the people here would have advocated for Mike O'Neill to become head coach of the women's soccer program.

I am not jazzed by this hire, but because our facilities are so weak and our competition so strong in the B1G, I'm not sure any top notch assistant would have taken the job at this point. What amazes me is that over the years Bucca was able to get a couple of very strong players, at least one of whom (from Texas - I forget her name) received a very prestigious grad scholarship - a Fulbright type.

Unless this coach has connections in FL, Texas and/or CA (junior tennis hotbeds) and can pull at least a couple recruiting coups before we get better facilities, our results will remain poor and we will remain without a W in B1G play.

Nuts - Women's soccer was a successful program before O'Neill. Women's tennis is not. That's the difference.

Well aware of where the program was at the time. Thank you. Not my point however Cyrock. O'Neill was neither an "elite" coach - at the time - nor was our program. It was good, had gotten better no doubt, but not where it is now.

ADVERTISEMENT