ADVERTISEMENT

Rivera and Janzer mic’d up

RU23

All American
Gold Member
Aug 2, 2010
Awesome video. An underrated aspect of Rivera’s transfer is the positive impact it’ll have on Jojo. No worries about him reaching his AA potential.

Has he learned how to get out from bottom yet?

That's a bit of a harsh statement for his true freshman campaign. Not everyone transitions from high school to B1G wrestling seamlessly. He would have benefitted from a RS bigtime last year. Rolling around with Rivera and Suriano this year should be very beneficial in Jojo's development.

That's a bit of a harsh statement for his true freshman campaign. Not everyone transitions from high school to B1G wrestling seamlessly. He would have benefitted from a RS bigtime last year. Rolling around with Rivera and Suriano this year should be very beneficial in Jojo's development.
Harsh? Eh. It was a major problem for him last year. I thought he should have redshirted as well. I've said the same thing about Kanniard, if he doesn't learn to get out from bottom he's going to struggle. He does learn, he's going to flourish as his neutral game is very good.

Reactions: RU23
Harsh? Eh. It was a major problem for him last year. I thought he should have redshirted as well. I've said the same thing about Kanniard, if he doesn't learn to get out from bottom he's going to struggle. He does learn, he's going to flourish as his neutral game is very good.

It's a spot on critical analysis, just a snarky comment. That is what my initial response was addressing. Jojo made his decision to wrestle as a true freshman and most likely wasnt as successful as he thought he would be against the best competition the NCAA has to offer. Chalk it up as a hard headed, wrestling teenager who came in with high accolades and thought he could handle much of the competition. The experience of rolling around with Rivera, Suriano and Alvarez...plus picking the brain of NC caliber wrestlers will be invaluable. Free year of wrestling and development for Jojo training with two stud contenders and let's see where he ends up.

Did Kanniard struggle to get out from bottom? He lost 6 matches in his redshirt season and four were to national qualifiers and one was to the best redshirt in the country. He took Dellavecchia who was likely going to be an AA to a 6-5 loss. I don’t remember him “struggling” to get out from bottom. I’m sure he had difficulty doing so against wrestlers that were above his level which is to be expected, but I wouldn’t label it a significant problem like JoJo had last year.

Did Kanniard struggle to get out from bottom? He lost 6 matches in his redshirt season and four were to national qualifiers and one was to the best redshirt in the country. He took Dellavecchia who was likely going to be an AA to a 6-5 loss. I don’t remember him “struggling” to get out from bottom. I’m sure he had difficulty doing so against wrestlers that were above his level which is to be expected, but I wouldn’t label it a significant problem like JoJo had last year.
Yes he did. I watched his matches(which were streamed) and after every tournament said the same thing. He's excellent from neutral pushes the action, top is not there put who cares as he usually has the upper hand from neutral, bottom is where he struggled. I don't care what the score, that has no bearing on indicating his trouble areas.

I've been championing Kanniard since he got here, so it's not like I'm ripping the kid to shreds every post. He's from my area and know quite a bit about him. He's a hard worker and really has the attitude you want and think he has future AA potential. But that doesn't mean there aren't deficiencies he has to overcome.

Last edited:
Anything that is observed as a weakness and commented as such is okay in my mind. Personal attacks aren't but I haven't seen that in the comments regarding Aragona and Kanniard. I haven't an opinion on Kanniard but do have the same perception regarding Jo-Jo. I think it's an accurate assessment to say he came in overconfident. Strengths are great to recognize but weaknesses are where the improvement opportunities lie. Some people here are like the parents who never want to hear anything critical about their kids. I'd have felt better if I saw Jo-Jo working with Seabass on bottom instead of takedowns. I can only presume they are doing that as well, and hope they are.

Anything that is observed as a weakness and commented as such is okay in my mind. Personal attacks aren't but I haven't seen that in the comments regarding Aragona and Kanniard. I haven't an opinion on Kanniard but do have the same perception regarding Jo-Jo. I think it's an accurate assessment to say he came in overconfident. Strengths are great to recognize but weaknesses are where the improvement opportunities lie. Some people here are like the parents who never want to hear anything critical about their kids. I'd have felt better if I saw Jo-Jo working with Seabass on bottom instead of takedowns. I can only presume they are doing that as well, and hope they are.

When healthy, they should have him work an entire session with Ashnault riding him.

Reactions: elvis7 and koleszar
There’s not really a ton of different techniques for getting out from bottom. It’s mostly strength, conditioning, and mentality/confidence.

Reactions: scottsdaleal

Personal criticism, weaknesses, ways to improve are all fair game. Pot shots arent needed.

Reactions: elvis7
It's a spot on critical analysis, just a snarky comment. That is what my initial response was addressing. Jojo made his decision to wrestle as a true freshman and most likely wasnt as successful as he thought he would be against the best competition the NCAA has to offer. Chalk it up as a hard headed, wrestling teenager who came in with high accolades and thought he could handle much of the competition. The experience of rolling around with Rivera, Suriano and Alvarez...plus picking the brain of NC caliber wrestlers will be invaluable. Free year of wrestling and development for Jojo training with two stud contenders and let's see where he ends up.

It’s all about whether he takes advantage or not. Hopefully he does and he doesn’t now feel like he has to take a backseat to those older guys. Wrestle them as hard as humanly possible.

Janzer is jacked and will be strong as hell this year. If he can develop a tank he’s going to be very tough to beat

Reactions: ScarletGrapfan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT