ADVERTISEMENT

Robert Damerjian Commits to RU - Class of 2020

Where do people see him at long term? Is he a 197 or HWT? At 5’9” I could see him making the drop to 197.

Welcome Robert! It's always good to get athletic wrestlers with a bunch of explosive energy. Glad you decided to commit here.

Reminds me of Mike Liguori if anyone remembers him. He cut the most weight of anyone I have ever seen. Wrestled 158 and weighed close to 200 before the season if I recall correctly. Couldn’t have been taller than 5’8 ish.

Reactions: moving up
Welcome to The Banks, Robert, & thanks for #StayingHome!

:WooHoo:

Go RU!
Diane

220 is such a weird weight class to transition into college. Huge weight cut to 197 but on the lighter side for a heavyweight.

Dont know much about him but there’s going to be some serious fight at heavy this year. 3 freshmen and a transfer coming in to join Espo who wrestled well last year. And this is all pre-Kyonte

Reactions: rubigtimenow
By my count, Damerjian will be the 9th true freshman to join the team next year and there’s 4 more freshmen that redshirted last year. Really young team but one with some promise.

No backup plan at 125 unless Shawver can cut. Also, doesn’t seem there’s anyone besides Poz at 184 unless Grello or O’Neil bulk up.

Glasgow is an interesting name to watch I think. Does he cut to 157 to push MVB jump up to 165 to challenge presumably Kanniard?

Is Grello a senior next year?
Can he use a medical redshirt for last year and get another possible year?

By my count, Damerjian will be the 9th true freshman to join the team next year and there’s 4 more freshmen that redshirted last year. Really young team but one with some promise.

No backup plan at 125 unless Shawver can cut. Also, doesn’t seem there’s anyone besides Poz at 184 unless Grello or O’Neil bulk up.

Glasgow is an interesting name to watch I think. Does he cut to 157 to push MVB jump up to 165 to challenge presumably Kanniard?
I still like to dream that Suriano comes back and can make 125. He is going 57 kg for the olympics so maybe he could wrestle 125 next year and then go for the olympics. Although I don’t think anyone knows what he wants to do.

Not ideal to go as a true freshman but Joe Colon is also 184.

Not ideal to go as a true freshman but Joe Colon is also 184.
Ah yes, forgot about him. He’s the 10th true freshman then. Not ideal but at least there’s a body. Not sure the starter for 184 before Poz possibly gets his RS pulled.

Poz gave the most dominant performance at the states that I've seen since Damion Hahn. If Janzer is that big, then 197 seems appropriate. I'm not a big proponent of a kid in good shape having to lose that much weight. I'd rather see him strong and concentrating on where he displayed weaknesses in technique.

Reactions: Loyal-Son
I still like to dream that Suriano comes back and can make 125. He is going 57 kg for the olympics so maybe he could wrestle 125 next year and then go for the olympics. Although I don’t think anyone knows what he wants to do.

From what I understand it was a tough cut that would be difficult to maintain over a long season. Aguilar has earned the right to be our 125 and looking forward to continued improvement and a possible AA run. Let Nick repeat at 133 and give Sammy his RS. Perfect scenario.

Reactions: RU Diesel07110
From what I understand it was a tough cut that would be difficult to maintain over a long season. Aguilar has earned the right to be our 125 and looking forward to continued improvement and a possible AA run. Let Nick repeat at 133 and give Sammy his RS. Perfect scenario.
It’s only a perfect scenario if Alvarez is willing to redshirt

I also predict that we’re going to see a drop in the amount of redshirts next year across the nation, as a lot of guys miss the sport tremendously and want to get back out there ASAP.

A 210- 220 weight class in college makes a lot of sense to me. I watched Robert at Regions and was very impressed. He's totally jacked and every bit of 2 2 0. Prob is his height.

Financial impact is the financial scholarship money allotted to that redshirted person continues for the redshirt year so he gets 5 years of aid

Reactions: Clearscreen25
If not on scholarship or like most wrestlers some sort of partial scholarship, the wrestler pays the balance of the year.
That's what I wondered. I think it important to know the financial impact on a wrestler before assuming or suggesting he redshirt.

I'm not an automatic fan of redshirting. What I mean is that I'm not convinced all kids benefit. That's not to say they won't or can't, but maybe too much of it is up to them versus having someone managing their progress. I think Agular benefitted while some others not so much. I think Poz will be ready to go and benefit from the competition. I know the Jo-Jo decision is kicking a dead horse, but he may have benefitted more from redshirting. However, he won the position and no one could have predicted the difficulty he had. I hope to see him come out more confident and I hope he's working on his bottom game.

Wow, I didn't see that coming. Certainly have ample depth at heavyweight now.
Could be as many as 7 guys at heavy depending on where Lightner ends up. All 3 freshman likely redshirt.

CC getting the waiver was no surprise. The surprise would be if JP gets another year. Hope so - doesn't seem likely

Pagano isn’t going to get one. He was already on year 6 and barely missed any of the season.

Could Nick Gravina get a 7th year ?

:WideSmile:
I think a legitimate interesting question is how many years Micic gets. He’s already used a regular RS as well as a medical and Olympic RS. He could possibly get another Olympic RS next year and then come back for his senior year. 8 years of NCAA wrestling.

Reactions: koleszar
Only question now is what to do at 184/197. I'd rather see Janzer stick at 184 but if hes cutting a ton of weight, he might have to move up.

I think a legitimate interesting question is how many years Micic gets. He’s already used a regular RS as well as a medical and Olympic RS. He could possibly get another Olympic RS next year and then come back for his senior year. 8 years of NCAA wrestling.

Micic might go from NCAA competitor to AARP member :)

Correction, he's taken 2 Olympic redshirts:

1. 2014-15 RS at Northwestern (then transferred to UM)
2. 2015-16 Olympic RS
3. 2016-17 4th @ 133
4. 2017-18 2nd @ 133
5. 2018-19 3rd @ 133
6. 2019-20 Olympic RS
7. 2020-21 ??

Wonder if he'll get a 3rd Olympic RS for 2020-21 and then wrestle his final collegiate season in 2021-22...

I think Poz is ready to go on day one. I'd rather see Janzer build strength and go 197 than weaken himself from too much weight cut.
Goodale suggested on one of the Friday podcasts that Poz is going to wrestle unattached for a little bit before they decide. Somebody has to go 184 in the meantime and the only guys that might be able to go there are Turley if he jumps two weight classes which I think ultimately happens, O’Neil who is also a blue chip freshman, Joe Colon who is a depth freshman that likely isn’t ready for big 10 wrestling on day 1 as a true freshman. I think Poz will get the job quickly but there’s no depth at 184 this year.

Reactions: MS-RU
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT