ADVERTISEMENT

Ron and Caleb May Be Back—Andy Katz

This would make us an NCAA team and a top 5 B1G team IMHO. Great news if true.

I don’t understand why there isn’t an NIL crowdfunding to get Ron back next year. If there is a few hundred thousand for him he may rethink.
Maybe this is what is going on. These student athletes/favorite sons of ours are waiting to see if there may be some NIL arrangement in the works that might help make another year here for one or both of them more fiscally possible. Weren't there some rumblings from some posters a few weeks ago about starting something NIL like that here at Rutgers. Might be very cool if a subject that Geo was probably our most vocal supporter of turned out to be an advantage for two of his teammates...in the class right after his own. Geo strikes again...another buzzer beater! Hey, I can dream, can't I?

Reactions: rubigtimenow
McConnell won't be drafted and Harper if drafted will be a late second round selection.The options might turn out to be overseas or return to Rutgers .His health might determine NBA future for next season.

Reactions: NickRU714
Putting Ukraine aside:
1. I think Caleb is back.
2. It would not shock me if Ron comes back, although I wouldn’t bet on it. Money isn’t a concern for the family- it’s about getting to the league as an achievement. But honestly - Ron might have reached his ceiling. I’m not sure how much better he can get staying at RU.

Reactions: RU677381
Putting Ukraine aside:
1. I think Caleb is back.
2. It would not shock me if Ron comes back, although I wouldn’t bet on it. Money isn’t a concern for the family- it’s about getting to the league as an achievement. But honestly - Ron might have reached his ceiling. I’m not sure how much better he can get staying at RU.
I doubt Ron comes back but it would be great if he did. He could definitely work on getting in better shape and improving his stroke. In my opinion needs to be quicker and improve his shot in order to play in the NBA.

I doubt Ron comes back but it would be great if he did. He could definitely work on getting in better shape and improving his stroke. In my opinion needs to be quicker and improve his shot in order to play in the NBA.
He can do those things in the developmental league or in Europe without the added distraction of school

Reactions: Greene Rice FIG
As I've said before - they both knew a month ago what their draft projection was and their options for next year.

Sounds like they are now dragging it out just to work on better NIL?

Would be interested in hearing all the "NIL is ruining college sports" takes on 2 of our best players using NIL to decide if to return instead of just "love for Rutgers".

Sorry to say but Ron doesn’t have the athleticism to be a long term contributor in the NBA. He’s also somewhat of a tweener, not quick enough to be a 2 or 3, and too short to play the 4.

He can do those things in the developmental league or in Europe without the added distraction of school

This is why the 1st round of the draft is mostly freshman/sophomores.

Let a promising 18 year old develop in college with worse coaching/facilities/rules around practice time or develop him as a full time job and his only focus is on getting better.

As I've said before - they both knew a month ago what their draft projection was and their options for next year.

Would be interested in hearing all the "NIL is ruining college sports" takes on 2 of our best players using NIL to decide if to return instead of just "love for Rutgers".
Neither of their decisions have anything to do with NIL. NBA team workouts haven’t even started yet. The whole point of the process is to go be seen by teams.

If not a legit first round pick and only a possible 2d round pick with greater likelihood on being placed on G league team not making much with a minor league travel accommodations versus coming back to a college with a great supportive environment and a couple NIL bucks seems to me to fit RHJ better.

No shot of being drafted and more one dimensional player and having to go overseas versus staying for another college year on a potential top 20 team as the reigning conference defender of the year and some NIL bucks to me is a no brainer for Caleb. The question is will some school try to outbid RU for his talents.

Would be great to have them both back at RU.

GO RU

Sorry to say but Ron doesn’t have the athleticism to be a long term contributor in the NBA. He’s also somewhat of a tweener, not quick enough to be a 2 or 3, and too short to play the 4.
Unfortunately this is probably spot on. Always hoped he somehow grew 3 inches in college.

Agreed. Ron is a matchup problem in college, but not in the NBA.

The take would be "It's ruining college sports." It's not about Rutgers (although it will ultimately ruin interscholastic sports at Rutgers), it's about college sports as a whole.

Open Question to Anyone: BTW, if Rutgers is poised to be such big players in NIL, why didn't we go get Isaiah Wong?

Last edited:
The take would be "It's ruining college sports." It's not about Rutgers (although it will ultimately ruin interscholastic sports at Rutgers), it's about college sports as a whole.

Open Question to Anyone: BTW, if Rutgers is poised to be such big players in NIL, why didn't we go get Isaiah Wong?

Would be interesting to see how much private money was raised to help out with Schiano’s hire.

Also would be interesting to see how many of the same people craps on raising money for NILs for the actual players?

+1

Post puts it all in perspective. Well done.

Thinking about it - this does highlight one interesting change (I’m not saying its not still good perspective but the comparison is a bit less apples to apples than it would’ve been before NIL when both donations would’ve been to non-profit entities).

With these NIL deals, there won’t be the same parallel tax benefit to Ukraine donations (I.e. no longer an automatic tax break for the donor the way it is when the donations flow through the school).

While some of these BS deals may end up qualifying as business expense write offs that’s far from a given and these boosters must know that (the IRS is notoriously very strict with that kind of thing. The boosters will need to show clear business purpose with realistic value additive to the deducting company to qualify for tax deductions.

Reactions: Scarlet Shack

Harper hasn’t reached his ceiling because he has never been in optimal condition. Conditioning could increase his quickness by half a step which could be a game changer for him.
My guess is that the math probably won’t support this line of thinking over time if NIL continues down this path and the G-league ultimately becomes more of a last chance type farm system for kids who have exhausted their college eligibility.

Over time, kids are going to look at the data - percentage of G-leaguers (and even late 2nd rounders) that ever work their way onto an NBA roster. That number is likely low to begin with, but then you realize that even if your hypothesis is true (that it’s the optimal conditioning that elevated those small subset of players games to NBA caliber) returning to college for one more year is not necessarily even throwing this chance out. It’s simply putting it off a year.

When you earned nothing by staying in school, that was a deal breaker. But if kids like Ron are offered 300+ (plus whatever the one off cameo and other income opportunities amount to) to stay in school one more season, and be a star with their friends one more year, that’s going to be awfully hard to pass up.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
You realize you can apply that rebuttal to make someone feel bad about every discretionary expense?

Why take that vacation? Why buy that watch? That could’ve gone to Ukraine.

Also, why not donate to Libya?

Agreed. And I wonder if a fan on the Kentucky, Kansas, Alabama, Georgia boards would say “forget NIL or the program… Donate that money instead to the Ukrainians.” There’s the difference and that’s why between this and the local media, Rutgers will never get the support as the big programs.

ADVERTISEMENT