ADVERTISEMENT

Ron & Geo Slump Last 4-5 games

ScarletKid2008

All American
Sep 8, 2006
Bergen County, NJ
RU is 2-3 over the last 5 games (Iowa, Neb, Pur, Mich, MD). All 5 games were determined in the final minutes, including the three losses where we had the ball with a chance to tie or take the lead with under 90 seconds to go.

The fact that we won two of these games with the slump Ron & Geo have been in is somewhat remarkable. But also makes you wonder, if they were even near or slightly below their averages, what the results could've been over these last 5!

These stats for Ron & Geo are eye popping and definitely worth questioning.

RON (last 4 games, ex Iowa):
  • Avg 5 points per game, shooting 25% from the field (9-36)
  • Has only shot TWO foul shots over last 4 games! (2-2)
  • Has only made ONE three point shot over last 4 games! (1-11)
  • Avg 28 minutes played

GEO (last 5 games)
  • Avg 4.6 points per game, shooting 21% from the field (7-33)
  • Only ONE steal over last 5 games!
  • 7-25 from three for 28%
  • Has only shot FIVE foul shots over last 5 games! (4-5)
  • Avg 21 minutes played, vs 30+ before injury

If either one of these two, Geo or Ron stepped up to their averages we likely win two more of those last five. Considering Ron played lights out at Iowa and we still lost, but Geo only had one basket that game.

Gotta get these two going!!

Hopefully they get out of this slump soon. The team was fun to watch offensive prior to their slumps

Reactions: ScarletKid2008
I think the good thing about this team is we have 7 guys who can go off for 15+ a night. But the bad thing is the same 7 guys can also put up total clunkers and disappear for long stretches. And we lack a true go to guy for crunch time.

Again: there might not be a team in the nation more in need a 5-day rest right now (then playing at home).

But hasn’t he had long slumps each of his 1st 2 seasons as well?

The only really good stretch of his career was in the big ten tournament when defenses keyed on Sanders. A guy who could create penetration.

Going in to the season I was reluctant with Geo as a 2 guard. I didn't see him as a catch and shoot guy and thought most of his makes were off his own dribble.

I am guessing it could be the thumb or could be him not being in rythmn playing off the ball.

I am not in love having my guard needing a dribble to being an effective shooter, but it is what it is. Perhaps we are better off with him being the primary ball handler when he is in the game.

Reactions: JQRU91
I think Ron's slump is the more crushing and confusing of the two. He doesn't even look to be shooting or be aggressive much with the ball anymore. He's over relying on the back down and fade away jumper - low percentage shot (although its a signature for him).

Ron HAS to be getting into the lane more with his big body, challenging guys, pump faking, and getting to the line. Ron has to live by slashing and playing the mid range where his jumper is typically pretty good right around that foul line.

Personally - I think Ron's body has to continue to lean up. I can see him jumping through the roof being 10-15 lbs lighter but maintaining strength. I wonder if he's losing steam physically, or maybe is just slightly not quick enough for some of the upper half B1G guards and thats why hes backing them all down.

Yes Geo’s thumb seems to be an issue. And Ron has not been driving with authority like earlier in the year. I’m not sure what’s going on but the few times he does drive he trips over himself. I’m wondering why Jacobs isn’t getting more minutes with these guys struggling. At least Mulcahy and McConnell have stepped up the last few games.

We stopped running our transition game. That’s how we came out so strong against the early conference slate. How many breakaway dunks, oops, and backdoors do you see now? Literally none.

Something seems off with Ron’s body language though. Seems almost depressed on the court. Maybe he’s going through some personal stuff, who knows. He’ll be back no doubt.

Reactions: S_Janowski
Wrong. His 3-point shooting is almost 10 percentage points off his career average. He's obviously not 100%.

Also consider two rule changes from last year, that he might be struggling to adjust to:

1 - the line is farther back and he usually toed the line on his three point attempts the last two years.
2 - the step back jumper he used to rely on now requires you to land with both feet to avoid a travel, rather than one then the other. He hasn't tried many of them this year, and he has gotten called for a travel twice on step backs already.

He was shooting .250 from deep before he hurt his hand, so the impact was already there without the injury.

Reactions: TRU2RU
Lol what a stupid statement.

He’s a junior. If this is who he is then how do you explain his first 2.5 years.

He’s still combatting his injury and yes playing a different role then previously. But this isn’t who he is.

In Big Ten play, Baker's offensive rating has been 88.0 (freshman), 87.6 (sophomore), and 89.5 (junior).

They're both contributing on the defensive end. I thought Ron was better yesterday offensively, but still not what he's capable of. Not sure what the issue is with Geo on offense. I'm sure the kids and the coaches are working on getting it straightened out. With Young out and Ron and Geo sub-par on offense, and Caleb off his game, we still had a chance to defeat a top ten team on their home court. RU has a damn good team. They've proven that to me at this point in the season.

Lol what a stupid statement.

He’s a junior. If this is who he is then how do you explain his first 2.5 years.

He’s still combatting his injury and yes playing a different role then previously. But this isn’t who he is.

I already did

Are you suggesting something else hampering him other than the thumb?

no i am saying his thumb, have you paying attention, did you notice he didnt return to his starting job, did you notice he wasnt in the game at the end yesterday despite Pike saying Geo is his guy down the stretch just a week ago

You are off the mark here about slamming Geo for ":being what he always has been"...just a bad take

In Big Ten play, Baker's offensive rating has been 88.0 (freshman), 87.6 (sophomore), and 89.5 (junior).

Per college-reference.com, it's been 89.0, 88.9, and 91.1.

But I think that's more a product of his assists going up (from 3.8 per 100 possessions as a freshman to 7.5 as a junior) while his eFG% going down (.399 as a frosh, .410 as a soph, .324 as a junior).

Geo may be better next year if Pike adds PnP to the offense and gets more touched for Geo that way. This year the less he plays the better.

no i am saying his thumb, have you paying attention, did you notice he didnt return to his starting job, did you notice he wasnt in the game at the end yesterday despite Pike saying Geo is his guy down the stretch just a week ago

You are off the mark here about slamming Geo for ":being what he always has been"...just a bad take

He’s doing everything poorly. Not just his shooting. Off ball D is about all he brings to the table right now. Sit him.

Pike is starting to figure it out.

Reactions: BlockR
No clue where you “already did” but I’ll take his resume of 2.5 years vs. his resume 5 or so games after a thumb injury.

Dumb, dumb, dumb statement. It makes zero sense.

This is the same conversation we were having about Eugene last year...

He’s doing everything poorly. Not just his shooting. Off ball D is about all he brings to the table right now. Sit him.

Pike is starting to figure it out.

i am laughing at your take, his injury is effecting his game, what is so hard for you to understand.

The one three that Harper made wasn't even clean. It hit the rim and had a good bounce to go in. Harper has looked really hesitant to shoot from three lately. And when he calls for the ball down low to post up they don't feed him.

i am laughing you take, his injury is effecting his game, what is so hard for you to understand.

Side question here. Want your take. Do you think playing with a particular teammate (s) can impact someone’s game as much or more (or less) as a non-shooting hand thumb injury after you’ve been cleared to play?

This is the same conversation we were having about Eugene last year...

And no idea what you mean by that.

I do remember last year me constantly telling you to stick to Football because you were constantly ripping Pikiell.

So I’ll say it again - stick to Football.

Reactions: bac2therac
RU is 2-3 over the last 5 games (Iowa, Neb, Pur, Mich, MD). All 5 games were determined in the final minutes, including the three losses where we had the ball with a chance to tie or take the lead with under 90 seconds to go.

The fact that we won two of these games with the slump Ron & Geo have been in is somewhat remarkable. But also makes you wonder, if they were even near or slightly below their averages, what the results could've been over these last 5!

These stats for Ron & Geo are eye popping and definitely worth questioning.

RON (last 4 games, ex Iowa):
  • Avg 5 points per game, shooting 25% from the field (9-36)
  • Has only shot TWO foul shots over last 4 games! (2-2)
  • Has only made ONE three point shot over last 4 games! (1-11)
  • Avg 28 minutes played

GEO (last 5 games)
  • Avg 4.6 points per game, shooting 21% from the field (7-33)
  • Only ONE steal over last 5 games!
  • 7-25 from three for 28%
  • Has only shot FIVE foul shots over last 5 games! (4-5)
  • Avg 21 minutes played, vs 30+ before injury

If either one of these two, Geo or Ron stepped up to their averages we likely win two more of those last five. Considering Ron played lights out at Iowa and we still lost, but Geo only had one basket that game.

Gotta get these two going!!
Where's your analysis on how Harper's 29 points was way out of whack with his average?

My point is this: Geo and Harper have been like this since they got here. Up and down play. You can't take the ups and then say that the downs should instead be closer to their average. If so, you've created a totally different player with a different scoring average. Right now, this is the team we've got. They're great on defense, great on the boards. And their offensively challenged--leaving them 200th in the country in scoring, 324th in FT shooting. That's the team. They are going to have to D and rebound their way to the NCAAs if they want to get there.

Reactions: kcg88 and JQRU91
And no idea what you mean by that.

I do remember last year me constantly telling you to stick to Football because you were constantly ripping Pikiell.

So I’ll say it again - stick to Football.

Here we go with that lie again.

The only criticisms I’ve made of Pike ever are that he’s to quick to the bench and he sometimes struggles figuring out the right rotations/pairings. And I’ve also said recruiting is not where it needs to be but never laid the majority of the blame on Pike for that.

This year I will add he’s really not creative enough offensively in game strategy.

Reactions: anon_0k9zlfz6lz9oy
Side question here. Want your take. Do you think playing with a particular teammate (s) can impact someone’s game as much or more (or less) as a non-shooting hand thumb injury after you’ve been cleared to play?

dont understand your question, please rephrase

and again whether he has been cleared to play or not, it clear he is not 100%. His minutes have been cut drastically and him out of the starting lineup NOT because of inconsistent play.

Geo has a weak jump shot, a mediocre handle, he is a mediocre passer, and he is challenged defensively when matched against a quick guard. A few people here just have some image in their head of him being this elite basketball talent and just can't let it go so matter how many bad games he gives the team.

Reactions: RUsojo
dont understand your question, please rephrase

and again whether he has been cleared to play or not, it clear he is not 100%. His minutes have been cut drastically and him out of the starting lineup NOT because of inconsistent play.

Can the teammates you play with (read: fit within an offensive system) impact your game just as much, or more/less, than a non shooting hand thumb injury a player has been cleared to play with?

Here we go with that lie again.

The only criticisms I’ve made of Pike ever are that he’s to quick to the bench and he sometimes struggles figuring out the right rotations/pairings. And I’ve also said recruiting is not where it needs to be but never laid the majority of the blame on Pike for that.

This year I will add he’s really not creative enough offensively in game strategy.

Those may be your only criticisms this year but they weren’t your only ones last year LOL.

Glad to see you changed your tune with the year we’re having though.

his thumb is ****ed. He shouldn't be playing it's effecting his game on both ends.

Makes me worry about Pike even more to be honest. Geo didn’t fit before his injury IMO anyway but he’s been getting cooked on ball D every single game, taking bad shots, not getting back in transition, etc. Thumb can’t be impacting those things much.

Big indictment on Geo and Pike apparently.

Reactions: anon_0k9zlfz6lz9oy
Those may be your only criticisms this year but they weren’t your only ones last year LOL.

Glad to see you changed your tune with the year we’re having though.

Your post is libel. Please delete.

ADVERTISEMENT