ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Ron Harper Jr. enters 2021 NBA Draft, maintains eligibility

I guess he might as well find out if there is any interest in him among NBA teams, but (with all respect to him) doesn't it seem unlikely he'll attract much attention?

I don't want to be snippy toward one of our players, but isn't it pretty clear what he needs to work on?
Yes but there might be more that we don’t know. Scouts may project him at a different position in the NBA. I see him as a 2 or 3. So he’ll need work on more than just the stuff we’ve seen of him at the 4. A private workout with them may help drive the message home to him.

Hahahaha - I know Rutgers isn’t exempt but this new normal is certainly wild...and just feels so Rutgers.

He put his name in but he is NOT hiring an agent

I would have been surprised if he DIDN'T do this. Reality-wise Harper will be back. If he really wants to be drafted in the first two rounds, he needs another year of seasoning to show the NBA he can be consistent in his shooting, passing and defense. We've seen glimpses of his greatness, but we have also seen him take off plays, play poorly in general including his shooting woes, and to be frank, loafing it out there.

Another interesting tidbit: In the NBA projected draft, Ron his #79 well short of being drafted. What's interesting is his uneven play dropped him 26 spots, which means he was once a projected draft pick at #53.

Last edited:
It is a learning process for Harper who will find out what he will need to do this coming year.

NBA is tough.

If Harper is smart and wants to play in the NBA, he should go into the NBA development league instead of coming back to Rutgers.
He will face stiffer competition there than in college. He will have to play there for a while and show if he has the game for the NBA.

Reactions: RU79
With his size Harper has to be a far more consistent 3 point shooter to be drafted in the NBA. The star player for Indiana has decided to return to school rather than declaring for the NBA.

NBA is tough.

If Harper is smart and wants to play in the NBA, he should go into the NBA development league instead of coming back to Rutgers.
He will face stiffer competition there than in college. He will have to play there for a while and show if he has the game for the NBA.

I think you're the troll I saw before but G-league wouldn't make sense for him. Sure he could get the call up but likely wouldn't make it and he wouldn't get his degree.

NBA is tough.

Disagree. He can learn just as much in college and will face tough competition in the B1G. For him, he doesn't need the added pressure. He needs to finish with his degree, like his parents want him to do, and then work on his game and then if he plays up to what we've seen of him in spurts he can become a solid draft pick.

Last edited:
This is just for show.
“Not testing the waters” or anything like that.
Players know what they need to get drafted and the NBA already knows the players.
Draft expectations start during high school.

Except for extraordinary circumstances, juniors and seniors don’t improve their draft status by returning to school.
The die already been cast - as they say.

Zero chance RHJ would get drafted this year.
Minimal chance (at best) he is a 2nd round pick next year.

I hope not! But I just can't see RHJ in the pros unless, at a minimum,, he can improve his outside shooting.
He needs to get his weight back down too for more quickness and lift driving to the hoop as he had earlier in the 2020-21 season, perhaps due in part to his injury.

NBA is tough.

I was hoping you were announcing your entry into the "Troll Portal". I am so disappointed since you are just not ready of the NTL.

Wonder if he can get his shot back as he gets back in top physical shape. if he does this during workouts, well then, f***, but good for him.

I think most basketball people and fans can see he doesn’t pass the NBA eye check at this point, but it’s great he’s going to get that important eval... but me thinks pops has already clued him in. I see lots of suicide drills, sprints and treadmill in his future.

Reactions: LotusAggressor
Yes - we can’t have nice things. You’ve been around long enough to know it all falls apart in the end lol.

Happy for Harper. Hope he uses feedback to be a better player and comes back.
The more players that we can eventually send to the league
the better. Can only help the program

Reactions: Roy_Faulker
RHJr’s formula for NBA success:

3 + D = NBA

Alot of people are plugging RHJ was a PF next year for us.

If he actually wants to get drafted in the 2nd round in 2022 then he needs to stand at the 3pt line and shoot.
At 6'6" 245lbs he's a 2/3 wing in the NBA. Stand in the corner and hit 3s on offense.

Alot of people are plugging RHJ was a PF next year for us.

If he actually wants to get drafted in the 2nd round in 2022 then he needs to stand at the 3pt line and shoot.
At 6'6" 245lbs he's a 2/3 wing in the NBA. Stand in the corner and hit 3s on offense.
Yeah, in college he can play wherever (even the 5 in short stints). But, the NBA should be called the GBL (Gettin’ Buckets League) because he needs to make 40% consistently from three to be a serious NBA draft contender despite having a good handle and decent court awareness.

ADVERTISEMENT