ADVERTISEMENT

Ron Harper Jr will go down as the best RU basketball player in program history

A

anon_0k9zlfz6lz9oy

i’m hearing he is having a monster off-season, transforming his body more and showing the versatility to guard the 1-4. His length has been killing guards and hes been banging around 4’s down low. He’s too big for guards to cover and too good off the dribble for 4’s to cover. He’s going to be our first player drafted since Douby. He’ll be a 3-4 year player but from what I’m hearing, expect to see him be the best player on the team this upcoming season and imo I think he can go down as the best player in program history. James Bailey is way before my time but thats 40 years ago and the game has changed a whole lot since that time

If this is true ....This is a really great sign ...

I said this at the beginning of the off season

If one guy on the team because the number one guy ahead of Geo and Eugene ...we dance and win a game ...

If two guys on the team become the number one and two guys ...pushing geo and Eugene to third and fourth best ...we could be playing in the final weekend in March

Time will tell

Easy killer.

Listen I would love if your prediction came true as much as anyone, but can we see your prediction come true in B1G play before we call Springfield?

Easy killer.

Listen I would love if your prediction came true as much as anyone, but can we see your prediction come true in B1G play before we call Springfield?
He did shoot around 35% from 3 in big ten play as a true freshman (closer to 40% if you take out the first 2 big ten games in november). He also averaged double digits in big ten play after it truly got started at the turn of the calendar.

As an example, his last 7 big ten games to end the year he averaged 13ppg/4rebs/game. Very tough to do as a true freshman in what is widely known to be the most physical conference in america

i’m hearing he is having a monster off-season, transforming his body more and showing the versatility to guard the 1-4. His length has been killing guards and hes been banging around 4’s down low. He’s too big for guards to cover and too good off the dribble for 4’s to cover. He’s going to be our first player drafted since Douby. He’ll be a 3-4 year player but from what I’m hearing, expect to see him be the best player on the team this upcoming season and imo I think he can go down as the best player in program history. James Bailey is way before my time but thats 40 years ago and the game has changed a whole lot since that time
Not a chance. Phil Sellers is the best player to ever put on an RU uniform and was a first team All American, and a top five player out of high school, and I might add one of the most complete college players I have seen to this day. Relative to the time RU doesn't have a player half as good.[/QUOTE]

The thing that impressed me most about Ron last year was his ball security. He was very strong with the ball in his hands and averaged less than one turnover per game. That’s pretty unusual for a frosh.

I’ll be delighted to see the kid blow up but I don’t know how anyone could predict that after just two months of off season work.

No one raved more than me about Ron before he came to RU. I saw him I think about 12-14 times when he played at Don Bosco. Most here felt he should red shirt as a frosh and that he was too slow for the BIG. How wrong they were but please let's not go overboard. He is very good but Sellers and Bailey were All Americans. Bailey was I believe the # 6 pick in the first round of the NBA draft. Sellers was a first team Associated Press All American and led us to the Final Four. I hope Ron continues to improve and makes our team much better but there are many outstanding players in college basketball throughout the country.

This happens a lot on these boards. A chance to be special? Oh yeah. Better than Sellers or Bailey or Jordan? Let's get past Douby first, shall we?

Reactions: rubigtimenow
I think he will eventually be the best player on the team and it might be as early as next year. It seems like sons of ex-nba players can often be late bloomers. Both Curry's were like that.

Not a chance. Phil Sellers is the best player to ever put on an RU uniform and was a first team All American, and a top five player out of high school, and I might add one of the most complete college players I have seen to this day. Relative to the time RU doesn't have a player half as good.
So true.

Reactions: jonS
Guys ...

Don’t focus on kyk messsage about him being the best player all time at Rutgers

What is far more interesting and possible is the suggestion that he might be best player on the team next year

IF that’s true...that’s a very good sign because baker and Onamouyri are very close to being all big ten ...so if that means we have three all big-ten type players on the roster and that would really smell like a NCAA team

Time will tell if the reports are true...but if they are ...it’s sets up very well for next season

He definitely needs a bigger role. He was our most efficient offensive player in B1G play and not by a small margin. The efficiency will take a hit with more usage, but it'll be more than worth the trade-off. He played about 22 minutes last year, I'd like to see that go up to 28. And when he's on the floor, roughly 25% of possessions should end with him getting a shot IMO. Last year was 20.9%... For comparison, when Eugene was on the floor 26.4% of possessions ended with Omoruyi taking a shot. Harper should be in that neighborhood.

He always seems to be in the right place so I think he'll get some more easy baskets playing alongside a guy with the court vision of Mulcahy.

Guys ...

What is far more interesting and possible is the suggestion that he might be best player on the team next year

IF that’s true...that’s a very good sign because baker and Onamouyri are very close to being all big ten ...so if that means we have three all big-ten type players on the roster and that would really smell like a NCAA team

Time will tell if the reports are true...but if they are ...it’s sets up very well for next season

THIS!!! Plus if Mulchahy can run the point well enough as a true freshman it will improve the team also. (If the other guys are working as hard as Harper I would imagine all will improve making the team a better overall team. Think about it say just our foul shooting gets better by 7% I am guessing that is 5 or 6 points most games.....enough to win some of last years losses!!!!)

%6th
He definitely needs a bigger role. He was our most efficient offensive player in B1G play and not by a small margin. The efficiency will take a hit with more usage, but it'll be more than worth the trade-off. He played about 22 minutes last year, I'd like to see that go up to 28. And when he's on the floor, roughly 25% of possessions should end with him getting a shot IMO. Last year was 20.9%... For comparison, when Eugene was on the floor 26.4% of possessions ended with Omoruyi taking a shot. Harper should be in that neighborhood.

He always seems to be in the right place so I think he'll get some more easy baskets playing alongside a guy with the court vision of Mulcahy.

There are so many ways for RU to improve without a quantum leap from Harper.

What has to change along with the overall usage of Eugene being way too high, is to find a role for Harper to ultimately play more minutes than Eugene.

The only way RU improves is if Eugene and Baker are no longer 1 and 2 in usage, 1st and 2nd in scoring and 1st and 2nd in shot attempts. The reason why that's important is because along with random stats that can be skewed, the one that isn't is turnovers.

Eugene had 68 turnovers in 27 games....Baker had 92 turnovers in 31 games.

I don't believe for one second that Harper would commit 68 turnovers with extended usage and while I am very skeptical about Mulcahy as a primary ball handler, 3 TOs per game is up there with Cassius Winston of Michigan State at around 2.9 per game.

Harper will be better with better ball movement from Yeboah, less usage by Eugene, better distribution by Mulcahy and Young to find Harper in transition and for open looks.

The good news is Thiam and Kiss were not efficient enough and Harper elevated his game to lift RU, during the teeth of the B1G schedule. I don't think Harper will be that type of player this year with Yeboah, Eugene and others providing production and leadership.

I think the stage is set for Harper to take a step forward to be more consistent first.

I've always thought Harper had the highest ceiling because of his size and his ability to be a consistent 3 point shooter. And his senior season at Bosco was a legendary run that he turned it on out of nowhere for. That told me he was just starting to figure out his own game and body.

I think (and hope) Harper is a guy who makes huge leaps each season. If he steps up and becomes a consistent 3 point and drive to the basket type threat, our offense becomes really really productive! Literally changes the whole floor for us. Because now we have 2 PGs coming in to run the show, Geo is freer to get open, Eugene and Johnson get more space in the paint. All of a sudden we're a well constructed offensive team.

PS .. I think Johnson blossoms this offseason as well. I think the overseas play will benefit Johnson and Young the absolute most. Johnson because he'll see big guys older, more seasoned, more matured than him. And Young will have a chance to gel with the team in a game setting before we start the season. Thats HUGE.

Guys ...

Another way to look at it is that (from my angle), we had one helluva freshmen class.

I said it immediately after watching him. I hope we keep him here for 4 years. You only saw a glimpse of what he's going to do in the Big 10.

This is a great Rutgersal impersonation!

Reactions: TODDB33
THIS!!! Plus if Mulchahy can run the point well enough as a true freshman it will improve the team also. (If the other guys are working as hard as Harper I would imagine all will improve making the team a better overall team. Think about it say just our foul shooting gets better by 7% I am guessing that is 5 or 6 points most games.....enough to win some of last years losses!!!!)

If we shoot 25 free throws a game (that is a lot), and we increase our FT percentage by 0.07%, that would give us an additional 1.75 points per game. If some of those additional makes are on the front end of a 1-1, instead of 1.75,we would score a little more than 2 more points per game.

If we shoot 25 free throws a game (that is a lot), and we increase our FT percentage by 0.07%, that would give us an additional 1.75 points per game. If some of those additional makes are on the front end of a 1-1, instead of 1.75,we would score a little more than 2 more points per game.

I exaggerated I get it but my point is valid Worrk on shots. In grammar school fortyfive years ago we started and ended practice on the foul line everyone shot twenty foul shots both times. Doesnt seem like a lot but we were kids these guys should be shooting 50 to 100 a day. Same for three point shots Find your strong spot and chuck up 50 to 100 a day in off season.

John Battle played like 9 years in the NBA. Underrated player in my opinion.

Loved his looks last year. He seemed to have a knack for getting in a good position to take a quality shot.

I think kyk just went with a click-baity type of headline, which was unnecessary and unfounded at this stage. I also don't like putting this type of expectation on the kid.

But as Shack said, kyk's real message that perhaps is being lost because of the sensationalistic headline is that Harper is killing the offseason and might become our best player this coming year. kyk usually has pretty good "inside" sources, so this is very good to hear.

If true, we will be squarely on the NCAA bubble.

Reactions: Scangg and RUby RED
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT