ADVERTISEMENT

Ron Harper new highlights

Shell21

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Mar 23, 2004
From a tournament today . Not sure what kind of Comp this is but seems to have a sweet stroke . Needs some work in weight room to sculpt his body though .

looks like we might finally have a small forward that can hit from the outside. needs to get leaner, but looks promising!

I know this will be an unpopular opinion, but I see him as a good freshman year redshirt candidate. Otherwise, I’m having a hard time understanding why we rushed to accept this commitment over some of the other wings we were recruiting in the 2018 class. The upside is there, but he seems like he’s a ways away physically to be able to perform at the high major level. Similar to Issa this past year - he seems like a perfect candidate for a freshman year redshirt.

Nice stroke, good court awareness, but a bit lacking in athleticism. Will he be able to defend at this level?

That's from the annual Fall Nike/iS8 Tip-Off Classic.

Looks like Harper played well in one of the games LINK

Reactions: Scangg
I know this will be an unpopular opinion, but I see him as a good freshman year redshirt candidate. Otherwise, I’m having a hard time understanding why we rushed to accept this commitment over some of the other wings we were recruiting in the 2018 class. The upside is there, but he seems like he’s a ways away physically to be able to perform at the high major level. Similar to Issa this past year - he seems like a perfect candidate for a freshman year redshirt.

Maybe the staff did not think we were likely to get the other wings we were recruiting?

If genetics is involved and he develops a game like his father, he'll be a great defender, good passer and a clutch shooter. I'll take that any day.

Reactions: MusicFreaks

He has a full year to get into better shape, including, the time from July when he gets on campus for workouts. Diet changes alone can do a lot......limit the fast food.

Redshirting should not be considered a bad thing....with 13 players on scholarship and most teams using about 10 in their rotation...that always leaves several scholarship players on the bench except for meaningless garbage time in blowouts.

Last edited:
Reactions: higgins3
Must have improved a lot since the end of high school season. Some of my friends who saw him back then thought he was a low level D1 prospect.

Must have improved a lot since the end of high school season. Some of my friends who saw him back then thought he was a low level D1 prospect.

Good thing your friends are not on the staff.

Guys that have the potential to be knock down 3 Point shooters are very valuable. As mentioned, it's been a long time since we had a spot up shooter.

What small forward would you have taken over him?

He's probably thinking Isaiah Mucius. He committed to Wake Forest.

Maybe he's thinking Frankie Policelli or Samba Diallo. There was also a SF from Georgia that Karl Hobbs was after.

I think you can make a case that Harper is the best Shooter from that group....., Spot up, long range shooter. That's a huge need for Rutgers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Loyal-Son
Good thing your friends are not on the staff.

Guys that have the potential to be knock down 3 Point shooters are very valuable. As mentioned, it's been a long time since we had a spot up shooter.
I have personally never seen him. My friends are college coaches who spend a lot of time on the recruiting trail however.

I saw him in the semi finals and the finals of the Tournament of Champions and he was outstanding in those two games in both scoring and rebounding. Those two games were vs. Linden & The Patrick School which were rated as the top two teams in the entire state. Don Bosco moved up to #2 and Linden fell to #3 after those two games. I believe that Harper will help us moving forward.

I will take athletic genes when I can get them.See Tong Dungy son as winning QB for Cuse over Clemson. Different sport ? Yup.But you never know.

Is you read the article Russ posted he is on that team with Luther Muhamed and Louis King and yet his is the top scorer. So year, he needs to drop 10-15 and sculpt up by there is definite talent there.

Also, he is a year out and then will have time to grow. Most likely he is limited in year one behind Issa, Kiss, Geo and some of the other 2-3s

Reactions: higgins3
Actually that doesn't shock me. I've watched game video of Harper where he looked very much like a LM D1 prospect. I've also seen video of him where he looked much better than that.

I don't expect him to make much of an impact as a freshman but could be solid role player by the time he's a senior.

I know the players have their programs once they commit.

I don't think this kid redshirts.

I will take 7/10 athleticism if the player can shoot. A lot of his shots are set, so it's not as hard. He has a great starting point. Obviously his ceiling has not been reached.

Harper Jr with a strength coach will be able to contribute a little his freshman year, but not someone to drop 8-10 points. Give him 12 minutes and he could probably hit a 3 or 2, and grab a couple of rebound. He looks to be a decent passer as well.. Plus, since he is local in NJ, coaches will be in frequent conversation with him about his weight and ability.

A shooting wing is nice. Notice he has a wing span as well?Another trend of a lot of Rutgers recruits. Makes the game easier.

All I'll say is that I highly doubt Pike would have used scholly number 4 (at the time Harper was 4) to close out the 2017 class on a reach when we needed a forward. If you guys remember, we moved really fast on Harper. Keep in mind, he plays against some of the best competition in the country in NJ. Pike and Co know what they're doing

I'm thrilled with that tape. He's 17 and nailing multiple 3's with such ease plus the stroke looks great. Ron Harper wasn't just an NBA player, he was a freak athlete. Kid has young looking body, but tremendous DNA. He will have a completely different physique 2 years from now. Love the pickup

Kid is smooth as silk, makes everything look effortless which is the sign of a natural athlete. He already knows that Pike demands hard work and defensive intensity, or he wouldn't be coming here.

Reactions: higgins3 and Scangg
Show me a non 7 footer that needs a red shirt season and 99% of the time I'll show you a wasted scholarship.

11 of the 17 players on the Gonzaga team that went to the NCAA Championship game last season took a redshirt year. Wisconsin has redshirted several non-centers (i.e Zak Showalter) with pretty decent success.

That written, I don't think Harper redshirts. There are some useful tools in that toolbox (solid shooting stroke, good size). I think getting in an S+C program at the high D-1 level has him on the floor as a frosh.

Last edited:
Until he gets his body in shape, I'm not going to be high on him. But then again, he has two years to do so, so I won't worry yet. I don't doubt his basketball abilities, but he'd turn another corner if he dedicated himself in the weight room as well.

Show me a non 7 footer that needs a red shirt season and 99% of the time I'll show you a wasted scholarship.

This sounds as crazy as the guy who once said there has never been a redshirt in the history of college basketball. ,

I also guess that guys that take a prep year or reclassify to a later year are also a waste? Most do it to improve their game....same as redshirting.

Come on Man !

Last edited:
Reactions: RUonBrain
Kid is smooth as silk, makes everything look effortless which is the sign of a natural athlete. He already knows that Pike demands hard work and defensive intensity, or he wouldn't be coming here.

Spot on. That dunk looks like he could have been playing with his eyes closed from halfcourt.

Good to see. I don't think this kids frame is an issue upon arriving on the Banks. I think it will be figured out by then.

Like Knights1212 said, he performed very well in the state games. He almost reminded me of a Junior Etou with a better attitude.

Reactions: BillyC80
This sounds as crazy as the guy who once said there has never been a redshirt in the history of college basketball. ,

I also guess that guys that take a prep year or reclassify to a later year are also a waste? Most do it to improve their game....same as redshirting.

Come on Man !

I don't have the numbers, but I'll bet my 99% applies to them too.

You hear about the success of people taking a 5th year and succeeding. How often do you hear about the kids that don't play big time college basketball.

ADVERTISEMENT