ADVERTISEMENT

Rossi and Ciarocca- The Dynamic Duo at Minnesota?

Some guy named @Richard Schnyderite bringing a B1G podcaster a different perspective. Maybe Rutgers just needed both of them together? 🤷‍♂️

Minnesota not on Rutgers' schedule until 2025.

I don't blame Ciarocca for that dismal offense. He was Co-OC with Flood.. who was supposedly in charge of the RUN GAME. But being an OL coach means Flood came up with that pathetic blocking scheme.. which some people called a NFL-type zone-blocking scheme. The idea was that defenses could not cue into run/pass on a play because the OL blocked the same whether it was run or pass.. they did not fire out and hit people. They dropped back and would turn rushers to open holes.

The main problem with that is that most college teams, including Rutgers, did not have NFL QBs and WRs and RBs and TEs. So, beginning with the Syracuse game in 2009.. and copied by everyone in 2010.. defenses did not honor the pass.. they run-blitzed every down and sent someone to that spot 5 yards behind center where the QB had his back turned to the LOS and would either hand off to a stationary RB or fake it and turn around to scan the field for receivers. College teams do not practice 8 hours a day and you need highly skilled and experienced QBs and skill players to all get on the same page in reading defenses.

This was a very stupid blocking scheme (given that we did have NFL-level OL who could fire out and move people) and I blame Co-OC Flood for it. Could it have been Ciarocca? I don't know.

I don't blame Ciarocca for that dismal offense. He was Co-OC with Flood.. who was supposedly in charge of the RUN GAME. But being an OL coach means Flood came up with that pathetic blocking scheme.. which some people called a NFL-type zone-blocking scheme. The idea was that defenses could not cue into run/pass on a play because the OL blocked the same whether it was run or pass.. they did not fire out and hit people. They dropped back and would turn rushers to open holes.

The main problem with that is that most college teams, including Rutgers, did not have NFL QBs and WRs and RBs and TEs. So, beginning with the Syracuse game in 2009.. and copied by everyone in 2010.. defenses did not honor the pass.. they run-blitzed every down and sent someone to that spot 5 yards behind center where the QB had his back turned to the LOS and would either hand off to a stationary RB or fake it and turn around to scan the field for receivers. College teams do not practice 8 hours a day and you need highly skilled and experienced QBs and skill players to all get on the same page in reading defenses.

This was a very stupid blocking scheme (given that we did have NFL-level OL who could fire out and move people) and I blame Co-OC Flood for it. Could it have been Ciarocca? I don't know.
Honestly, that line wasn't very good. I'm not sure if any scheme would have helped.

Ciarocca tried to install a spread offense with pro style players, most importantly at QB. He was all but crucified for doing so. Given his longevity, he was bound to become pretty good.

This was over 10 years ago. One thing about coaching, use the rolodex right, one can never be without a job for long no matter how badly one blows it.

Minnesota not on Rutgers' schedule until 2025.

Oct 29 (Sat) / TBA
Minneapolis, Minn.

Ciarocca tried to install a spread offense with pro style players, most importantly at QB. He was all but crucified for doing so. Given his longevity, he was bound to become pretty good.

This was over 10 years ago. One thing about coaching, use the rolodex right, one can never be without a job for long no matter how badly one blows it.
Same with Mehringer but we can’t just blame the OC. They were hired to run those Offenses and needed more than 1 year to get the right players in place like we are doing now. I blame the lack of patience and so much waffling back and forth between spread and pro during those years.

Honestly, that line wasn't very good. I'm not sure if any scheme would have helped.
You are correct.. I was thinking 2009.. which had very good OL.. Davis, Haslam, Blasczcyk, Stapleton.. and only Stapleton remained for 2010. Still.. it was that line and that scheme that got exposed by an undermanned Syracuse team.. who had just booted off many of their experienced players in some disciplinary thing. They made that OL look very bad. The following year the WORLD had seen tapes of that game and copied the scheme.. this time against inferior talent, by comparison.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT