ADVERTISEMENT

Roster - Will Anyone Redshirt?

TrueRU

Senior
Gold Member
Feb 4, 2004
Aside from injury, we have never really had the luxury of having anyone redshirt to build roster depth. Not saying we are there now, but do you think anyone redshirts this year? Maybe a guy like Bullock as he learns a position and gets a feel for the college game?

Good question... but right now isn't Bullock our 4th guard..hate to say it but if we have an injury at the guard position wouldn't we need him.

I really doubt anyone will redshirt this season. We only have 12 scholarship players and we don't want to only have 7 again like last year when we had a few injuries. Bullock is probably our 4th guard and should get some minutes. We should move forward and be able to replace players in the future after they graduate. I think everyone is needed this coming season.

term limits in our program. If you can't compete right away 99% chance we are better served turning the spot over. We aren't 2 deep with huge talent at every position

Reactions: RickB113
I think Issa Thiam is the 4th guard, Bullock 5th. Pikiell said he can play all three perimeter positions.

I really doubt anyone will redshirt this season. We only have 12 scholarship players and we don't want to only have 7 again like last year when we had a few injuries. Bullock is probably our 4th guard and should get some minutes. We should move forward and be able to replace players in the future after they graduate. I think everyone is needed this coming season.
You don't have to declare a redshirt at the beginning of the season. If you want to hold someone out of games you can and then put them in later in the season if you need to.

Reactions: Russ Wood
I never said a redshirt has to be announced at the beginning of a season. But why would we not play every scholarship player in many of our early OOC games? We need to find out what they can or cannot do.

I'm not expecting Rutgers to redshirt anyone but if the coaches are really high on a freshman's potential but workouts and practice have shown that the kid will play very little this season, they might redshirt him to give him a full year with the S&C Coach to improve his body, a full year of practice and save his 4 seasons of eligibility.

I'd especially expect this if a player is "young for his grade". For example, a kid who is still 17 or just turned 18 in the past 2 or 3 months.

Don't anticipate anyone redshirting save for an injury.

In practice, everyone appears to have a role to play in whatever success this team will have...down to the walk ons (2 more have been added to the squad btw). I don't see a scenario where any one player gets stapled to the bench all year, but especially in the non conference as Pikiell looks to define roles.

ADVERTISEMENT