ADVERTISEMENT

Rothstein Tweet on Harper

His genes are so very strong. As I sat and watched the Blue Jays over the weekend with the sons of 4 major Leaguers kicking ass I could not help but think of Carter. He may be a national name soon. And I am a cock eyed pessimist.!!!!

When I think of Harper I don’t see him as a PF but it will be very interesting to see how he is used. No doubt he is versatile!

His genes are so very strong. As I sat and watched the Blue Jays over the weekend with the sons of 4 major Leaguers kicking ass I could not help but think of Carter. He may be a national name soon. And I am a cock eyed pessimist.!!!!

You mean Harper but I agree! Also, how friggin awesome is baby vlad?!

You'd really want a lineup where the tallest guy is maybe 6'6"?

Harper Jr and Yeboah can both rebound a little. It's a sacrifice for greater offensive production. Something the team has lacked. I think this lineup will be seen 15% of the time, if not more.

In the past five years, the leading rebounding players have been no taller than 6 7. It's will, not always height.

Last edited:
The obvious player with the most to prove. His shooting really hurt him last year. I am a big Mathis fan. In transition he was great. His defense was average. At times, he looked out of sorts.

Let's go, Mathis!
I think Pikiell has a lot to work with when it comes to Mathis. I see Mathis in the mold of a more skilled Mike Williams. MIke's development under Pikiell was astronomical in just one off-season and while that may be a testament to Mike's hard work I think a lot had to do with Pi.

Now with one off season under his belt I'm very interested to see where Mathis improves because I think he is the biggest question mark on our roster. Hopefully he can become and elite defender and rebounded from the guard spot with more offensive punch than Mike Williams had.

Reactions: ruready07
Harper Jr and Yeboah can both rebound a little. It's a sacrifice for greater offensive production. Something the team has lacked. I think this lineup will be seen 15% of the time, if not more.

In the past five years, the leading rebounding players have been no taller than 6 7. It's will, not always height.
I agree that the lineup you talk about would be fun to watch but Myles might be too good to leave off the court.
I agree with you that rebounding would not be as big of an issue as people think it will be but I would worry about interior D with that 5 especially with no rim protector. Harper still has to prove he can bang down low at the 4 without getting into foul trouble and Yeboah is an unknown commodity at the 5. I still believe that the 5 at the end of the game for us will be:

Baker
Young/Mathis (offense/defense)
McConnell
Harper
Johnson

With Yeboah subbing for McConnell on a matchup basis

I agree that the lineup you talk about would be fun to watch but Myles might be too good to leave off the court.
I agree with you that rebounding would not be as big of an issue as people think it will be but I would worry about interior D with that 5 especially with no rim protector. Harper still has to prove he can bang down low at the 4 without getting into foul trouble and Yeboah is an unknown commodity at the 5. I still believe that the 5 at the end of the game for us will be:

Baker
McConnell
Harper
Johnson

Baker-Young-McConnell-Harper-Myles is a DANGEROUS lineup. I cant wait for this season man!!!

Baker
McConnell
Harper
Johnson

I've had the same thought as well regarding Myles. Couple different options coach can go with!

This year is going to be a lot of fun to watch.

I think Pikiell has a lot to work with when it comes to Mathis. I see Mathis in the mold of a more skilled Mike Williams. MIke's development under Pikiell was astronomical in just one off-season and while that may be a testament to Mike's hard work I think a lot had to do with Pi.

Now with one off season under his belt I'm very interested to see where Mathis improves because I think he is the biggest question mark on our roster. Hopefully he can become and elite defender and rebounded from the guard spot with more offensive punch than Mike Williams had.

Yeah. He is a more athletic Mike Williams. Still, the shot needs to fall for him to see 20+ minutes. Both from the line and in action.

Right now, there are players that can shoot it better than him. He has to put in concentrated work.

He is highly capable.

Reactions: anon_0k9zlfz6lz9oy
The issue for me with Mathis (and Yeboah, to be honest) is too many low-percentage shots. When they go in, they look great on a highlight reel. It's more impressive to see a guy contort his body and flip up a shot and it goes in than it is to see a guy position himself correctly and get an easy basket. It's just that the latter is far more valuable and reliable.

A lineup of Baker, Young, McConnell, Harper Jr, and Yeboah would allow Young great room to operate above many other positive things.
Rutgers couldn't use that lineup in The BIG against most teams because of being undersized in the front court.

Reactions: YoucancallmeRay
The obvious player with the most to prove. His shooting really hurt him last year. I am a big Mathis fan. In transition he was great. His defense was average. At times, he looked out of sorts.

Let's go, Mathis!
agree he has to have improved his shooting especially his foul shooting or getting to the line is more a liability than anything

Reactions: higgins3
Mathis and Mike really aren't similar at all in terms of offensive game. Mike was (supposedly) a three point shooter who was little to no threat off the dribble attacking the rim. Mathis is the opposite.

Defense and toughness etc maybe but offense not at all

A lot of people are focusing on the new shinny toys. There is 1 player on the roster that stands out. I totally get and agree with the sentiment that he has to improve his offensive game. Better perimeter game a must. Consistency with his overall play on a game to game basis a must.

Montez Mathis ceiling on the defensive end is a game changer. If he puts it together he can go down as one of the all time greats here.

1. I could be really wrong here
2. potential means very little if it isnt reached

A lineup of Baker, Young, McConnell, Harper Jr, and Yeboah would allow Young great room to operate above many other positive things.

I highly doubt we're going to see a lineup without at least ONE of Myles, Carter, or Doucoure for any appreciable length of time in B1G games. Maybe OOC, but generally not in the B1G except perhaps for very short spurts.

I think people are getting a little carried away in their excitement over our newfound offensive diversity and "positionless" basketball. Still need to think about interior defense though.

A lot of people are focusing on the new shinny toys. There is 1 player on the roster that stands out. I totally get and agree with the sentiment that he has to improve his offensive game. Better perimeter game a must. Consistency with his overall play on a game to game basis a must.

Montez Mathis ceiling on the defensive end is a game changer. If he puts it together he can go down as one of the all time greats here.

You're going to have to explain what you mean by the highlighted sentence. Do you mean there's only one player that stands out OVERALL on the entire team? Or are you only referring to only one player standing out in the games in Spain?

If the former, you are (respectfully) out of your gourd.

If the latter, I think you're mistaken, as several guys have been consistently standing out in Spain (at least according to the stats), such as Harper, Carter, Johnson, Kiss, McConnell, and Young. Yeboah has provided good stats too, but has been somewhat inefficient offensively despite the stats.

Rutgers couldn't use that lineup in The BIG against most teams because of being undersized in the front court.
Disagree. RU can dictate to other teams how the game will be played. Also its not like it’ll be all game

How is Harper a shinier, newer toy than Mathis? They were in the same class. Mathis was a good defender to my eyes but he didn't create very many turnovers. We're not talking about Matisse Thybulle or Briante Weber here.

OVERALL.

Not saying right now he is the best all around player on the team. His athleticism stands out to me....no one remotely close.

When he brings it no one on our team (returning) can come close to his impact on the defensive end.

OVERALL.

Not saying right now he is the best all around player on the team. His athleticism stands out to me....no one remotely close.

When he brings it no one on our team (returning) can come close to his impact on the defensive end.
Jacob young is a better defender. Thats not a slight of montez mathis, hes very good as well but jacob young is next level

Flexibility to defend the perimeter 1-4 is the most important thing in basketball and we can now do that. I’m happy that the team is creating an offensive identity by deferring to Harper. He should often have mismatches and is a smart enough player to make good decisions with the ball in his hands.

OVERALL.

Mathis was good last year, but he was never a great defender consistently. He plays with emotion. When he settles down, he can become an above average defender.

OVERALL.

There are more athletic players on the team than Mathis. Well see what happens.

Lot of guys writing off my man Mathis ...because he shot a low percentage

People forget he was our third leading scorer on the team and he is a guy that can get all of the way to the rim

Maturity and condition will make this kid a scorer the same 8-10 per game all year ...in a more efficient way.

And the kid is going to be the defensive guy when we need to stop the other team’s best swingman

Love that he is under the radar instead of having the pressure of a 4 star recruit frosh

. He is a major piece that many are forgetting ...except pike and his teammates

Lot of guys writing off my man Mathis ...because he shot a low percentage

People forget he was our third leading scorer on the team and he is a guy that can get all of the way to the rim

Maturity and condition will make this kid a scorer the same 8-10 per game all year ...in a more efficient way.

And the kid is going to be the defensive guy when we need to stop the other team’s best swingman

Love that he is under the radar instead of having the pressure of a 4 star recruit frosh

. He is a major piece that many are forgetting ...except pike and his teammates
Mathis had a good year for a freshman. Now though, the depth chart has increased. I dont know where he ends up. I want to reiterate this point as i am a big Mathis fan. I don’t want to make it like i am in any way taking away from the potential he has to be a really good player.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT