ADVERTISEMENT

Rothstein's Big Ten Preseason First-Team

Here' goes the typical disbelief by Minnesota fans when it comes to Rutgers. They still have the mindset Rutgers is a bottomfeeder. As usual, their fans make every attempt to find an excuse to dismiss Rutgers.
From Minnesota's board: https://www.forums.gopherhole.com/b...-preseason-power-rankings-12-minnesota.98030/
die hard gopher

JoinedMay 20, 2013Messages8,719Reaction score166Points63
Today at 10:39 AM
I bet this is without Gach getting his waiver since it wouldn't be fair for everyone else to assume he gets one before the fact.

Also I don't really see how you can put Reuvers ahead of Cockburn on the first team. Mine would go

Carr
Dosunmo
Jackson-Davis
Garza
Cockburn

Those are clearly the 5 best players returning to the conference next year IMO.

Also Is Geo Baker really that good? I also saw Andy Katz had him as a top 10 returning player in the country. I admittedly didn't watch much of Rutgers aside from when they played the gophers and don't even remember much of that game but just looking at his numbers I don't really see what's so special. 10 PPG, 39% FG, 25% from 3, is he some crazy good defender or something? If you aren't going to put Carr first team, I think Weiskamp makes more sense.

Here' goes the typical disbelief by Minnesota fans when it comes to Rutgers. They still have the mindset Rutgers is a bottomfeeder. As usual, their fans make every attempt to find an excuse to dismiss Rutgers.
From Minnesota's board: https://www.forums.gopherhole.com/b...-preseason-power-rankings-12-minnesota.98030/
I mean statistically Geo hasn't really been spectacular, it's his clutchness. He also had a broken thumb last year on his shooting hand. I think this year, he and Ron are going to be stars.

I mean statistically Geo hasn't really been spectacular, it's his clutchness. He also had a broken thumb last year on his shooting hand. I think this year, he and Ron are going to be stars.
The players the Minnesota fans tried to place in front of Baker are from their team, and we know they are not better. Their fans are looking at it just from a statistical POV. Baker could have average more if he shot more, but the team shared the ball instead of one go-to-guy. At the end of the games, there was no one better than Baker. If Baker shot as much as some of the other guys listed on the first team, he could easily average 15 pts. per game. Then no one is questioning him for being on a preseason list.

By the numbers Baker is not a first team guy . However, he’s probably the most clutch guy in the conference

Two things that are ignored or not addressed by posters here who downplay Geo's worth on a preseason 1st team.

1) The thread is from a Minnesota site, and they are comparing Geo to two of their players they think are better. They are Carr and Gabe. Neither is in the same category as Geo. Along with Oturu, Gabe and Carr were expected to be the guys to carry Minnesota. When they didn't, Minnesota didn't win. Most of the season Minnesota didn't win and that tells you all you need to know. On the other hand, Geo wasn't forced to can Rutgers because there were other guys just as capable. Rutgers was a more balanced team, but during clutch time, it was Geo who came through time and time again. It shows he can take over the game and carry the team. This is Geo's senior season, and usually, a player of his caliber elevates to another level as this is his last chance to shine.

2) If you're looking at scoring averages, it doesn't tell the entire story. As others have said, Geo broke his thumb and played half the season with it. Still, he scored buckets when it meant the most for Rutgers and the media and league coaches took notice.

Wow!!!! :Chop banana::Chop banana::Chop banana::Chop banana::Chop banana:

Two things that are ignored or not addressed by posters here who downplay Geo's worth on a preseason 1st team.

1) The thread is from a Minnesota site, and they are comparing Geo to two of their players they think are better. They are Carr and Gabe. Neither is in the same category as Geo. Along with Oturu, Gabe and Carr were expected to be the guys to carry Minnesota. When they didn't, Minnesota didn't win. Most of the season Minnesota didn't win and that tells you all you need to know. On the other hand, Geo wasn't forced to can Rutgers because there were other guys just as capable. Rutgers was a more balanced team, but during clutch time, it was Geo who came through time and time again. It shows he can take over the game and carry the team. This is Geo's senior season, and usually, a player of his caliber elevates to another level as this is his last chance to shine.

2) If you're looking at scoring averages, it doesn't tell the entire story. As others have said, Geo broke his thumb and played half the season with it. Still, he scored buckets when it meant the most for Rutgers and the media and league coaches took notice.

Gabe Kalscheur is not even in the conversation after the bad year he had as a sophomore.

However, Marcus Carr is a baller, and I think he has a legitimate claim for 1st team all B1G.

But, yeah, Geo is the clutchest player in the conference right now, hands down. And if he stays healthy, he can average 14 ppg, 5 apg, 2.5 spg, and shoot 33% from 3-pt range. But the ppg average will depend alot on how much the offense is spread out amongst Baker, Harper, Mathis and Young.

Gabe Kalscheur is not even in the conversation after the bad year he had as a sophomore.

However, Marcus Carr is a baller, and I think he has a legitimate claim for 1st team all B1G.

But, yeah, Geo is the clutchest player in the conference right now, hands down. And if he stays healthy, he can average 14 ppg, 5 apg, 2.5 spg, and shoot 33% from 3-pt range. But the ppg average will depend alot on how much the offense is spread out amongst Baker, Harper, Mathis and Young.
Geo making >33% from 3 would be huge since most of his 3’s are off the dribble and guarded. Someone needs to emerge as a knockdown wing and corner trey guy.

"Pre-season rankings are meaningless click-bait. Media members put zero research into them and just copy whoever was good last year. They shouldn't even do pre-season team/player rankings."

Did I get all that right?

Or are we on-board with pre-season team/player rankings now that we're good?

Also- Minnesota can go suck a snowball. Nobody cares what you think.

Reactions: shields

I’m sorry, while Geo is the most clutch player in the league, his shooting was downright bad for long stretches last year even prior to his injury. Clearly his value is that he elevates his game when it matters most, but your criticism of the Minnesota guy is unwarranted. He admits that he didn’t see him play much and is going off the stats. The stats show a weak shooting guard. We all know there is more to the story, but I don’t blame some guy who doesn’t watch him play all the time.

Reactions: Greene Rice FIG
I’m sorry, while Geo is the most clutch player in the league, his shooting was downright bad for long stretches last year even prior to his injury. Clearly his value is that he elevates his game when it matters most, but your criticism of the Minnesota guy is unwarranted. He admits that he didn’t see him play much and is going off the stats. The stats show a weak shooting guard. We all know there is more to the story, but I don’t blame some guy who doesn’t watch him play all the time.
I guess Minnesota fans criticizing Geo has merits? It's OK for others to downplay our players while some of us go out of our way to defend opposing players, got it. Some of us stay true to our Jersey roots of eating our own. 😢

FYI:
Geo shot 39.9% for the season
Carr shot 39.3%
Gabe shot 37.6%

Smartest on the court at all times, but stay off the twitter and social media now that all the sheeyit is exposed to the fan.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT