ADVERTISEMENT

RTCs: SKWC, NJRTC, PRTC, NYCRTC, LHVWC

Leonard23

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Since there's been a lot of discussion on this lately, here's a look at SKWC and other RTCs in the region.

SKWC (Rutgers)
Head Coach: Jeff Buxton
Resident Athletes:
• Sebastian Rivera
• Kemol Begakov
• Jordan Pagano

NJRTC (Princeton)
- Distance from Rutgers: 23 & 15 miles
- Partnership with NYCRTC: https://www.newjerseyrtc.com/nycrtc
Head Coach: Reece Humphrey
Resident Athletes:
• Nate Jackson
• Austin Schafer
• Tyler Graff
• Matthew Kolodzik
• CJ Brucki

NYCRTC (Columbia)
- Distance from Rutgers: 34 & 48 miles
- Partnership with NJRTC: https://www.newjerseyrtc.com/nycrtc
Head Coach: Kendall Cross
- Valentin Kalika (assistant coach)
- Vladimer Khinchegashvili (assistant coach?)
Resident Athletes:
• Jordan Oliver
• Anthony Ashnault
• Chance Marsteller
• Mitch Finesilver
• Frank Chamizo (part-time)?

Penn RTC (UPenn and Drexel)
- Distance from Rutgers: 70 miles
Head Coach: Brandon Slay
Resident Athletes:
• Jordan Burroughs
• Joey McKenna
• Mark Hall
• Ethan Lizak
• Dan Vallimont
• David McFadden
• Richard Perry
• Tyler Berger

Lehigh Valley WC (Lehigh)
- Distance from Rutgers: 58 miles
Head Coach: Kerry McCoy
Resident Athletes:
• Darian Cruz
• Joey Lavallee
• Jordan Wood
• Nahshon Garrett

Last edited:
Kerry McCoy was probably the worse head coach in NCAA History and now he leads Lehigh club. The Lehigh train is on a decline from their golden days! Now Penn is just the opposite. Penn club wasn't making any noise and the Penn program was down with Slay running RTC. They bring in Jordan Burroughs and Penn Program is on it's way!

Last edited:
Thank you for summarizing the information listed on each website. Again, I want to make sure that there is accurate information on this forum. The best way to get the information is to participate in the SKWC sponsored events. We often share the details with our members.

The list for the SKWC is incomplete and may be incomplete for the other RTCs. As an example, we fund the recruiting coordinator/volunteer coach, we fund the Exec Director for the SKWC, and administrative support.

I would also add that each RTC deploys different resource models. As an example we fund our RAs full-time and supplement coverage by inviting guest wrestlers in ad hoc as needed. Some of the other RTCs, have larger lists but pay athletes to be in the room part-time.

Each year coach Goodale and the SKWC board make decisions on how to optimize the operating budget based on the needs of the team. When we secure additional funding we add resources and that is why you hear other key donors appealing for additional support.

The best way to get a true picture is to review 990 tax forms. These filings are not required, but most of the RTCs have filed them in the past. Based on our analysis our operating budget is inline with the other RTCS and our endowment has grown quite nicely and is towards the top.

This is helpful information. Interesting that Princeton is in partnership with Columbia and Penn is in partnership with Drexel. Do they jointly fundraise? Not worried about Penn, Princeton, or Columbia. We rarely go against them in recruiting and have slim chance of winning if we do. Lehigh has fallen below us. We lost Pretzel to Lehigh and got Colucci in return. Also Buxton is known as a much better coach than McCoy.

Good to learn that our endowment is near the top and our fundraising is similar to our competition. So is money really the issue?

This is helpful information. Interesting that Princeton is in partnership with Columbia and Penn is in partnership with Drexel. Do they jointly fundraise? Not worried about Penn, Princeton, or Columbia. We rarely go against them in recruiting and have slim chance of winning if we do. Lehigh has fallen below us. We lost Pretzel to Lehigh and got Colucci in return. Also Buxton is known as a much better coach than McCoy.

Good to learn that our endowment is near the top and our fundraising is similar to our competition. So is money really the issue?
Money is an issue. Though we have an endowment, it can't fund a major percentage of the club's costs at 5% of assets. Only PSU with a 10M dollar endowment can do that. Michigan has a small endowment but raised and spent 800k in their club from what I've heard this year. We need to raise money for our current spending, and grow our endowment. All gifts large or small are appreciated.

Good question. The response is complex and there is nuisance that I don’t know I can capture in a post.

1- to sustain the current budget with a modest increase And contribution to the endowment we always have to raise money.
2- fundraising can be lumpy year to year so crowd funding events like Pin pool can be more effective than single donor reliance. Don’t underestimate how money the Penn State fan base contributes to the fundraising effort.
-3 We are long RU wrestling. The fundraising is intended to preserve the long-term success of the program.

Thank you for summarizing the information listed on each website. Again, I want to make sure that there is accurate information on this forum. The best way to get the information is to participate in the SKWC sponsored events. We often share the details with our members.

The list for the SKWC is incomplete and may be incomplete for the other RTCs. As an example, we fund the recruiting coordinator/volunteer coach, we fund the Exec Director for the SKWC, and administrative support.

I would also add that each RTC deploys different resource models. As an example we fund our RAs full-time and supplement coverage by inviting guest wrestlers in ad hoc as needed. Some of the other RTCs, have larger lists but pay athletes to be in the room part-time.

Each year coach Goodale and the SKWC board make decisions on how to optimize the operating budget based on the needs of the team. When we secure additional funding we add resources and that is why you hear other key donors appealing for additional support.

The best way to get a true picture is to review 990 tax forms. These filings are not required, but most of the RTCs have filed them in the past. Based on our analysis our operating budget is inline with the other RTCS and our endowment has grown quite nicely and is towards the top.
You're welcome. I'm sure the athletes' lists are incomplete and would love to get more info on ours and others. Who else do we have? Thanks.

Princeton has a training agreement with Columbia. Don't read much more into it than that. Check the link.

Penn and Drexel appear to have a similar partnership to what we had with Princeton for NJRTC before separating, so they likely share funds to some extent, but my understanding is UPenn provides the lion share.

Buxton is one of the top coaches in the country.

Reactions: ScarletGrapfan
Are we allowed to market? I feel like marketing the SKWC would at least get the public knowledgeable about it outside of the diehards.

We can do more, definitely an area of opportunity. We have a digital/social media presence, the RAs represent at tournaments, we are making upgrades to the website, active with youth camps, and we host socials.

We have a comprehensive fundraising plan in addition to pin pool. We have a sizable database we market to and host curated donor events for larger donor prospects.

but we have room to do more for sure.

Every ideas is a good one. The JMA is a Rutgers owned facility so any fundraising is directed by Rutgers University. The SKWC is a seperate non-profit so any fundraising activities happen outside of the University events.

We have a fair amount of people that volunteer their time to help with fundraising ideas, so most have already been vetted, but like I said all ideas are good ones.

Every ideas is a good one. The JMA is a Rutgers owned facility so any fundraising is directed by Rutgers University. The SKWC is a seperate non-profit so any fundraising activities happen outside of the University events.

We have a fair amount of people that volunteer their time to help with fundraising ideas, so most have already been vetted, but like I said all ideas are good ones

In the past Rutgers has allowed the SKWC to have a welcome table on the main concourse at home duals and gave us access to the microphone at the skull sessions (which are sorely missed by many fans).

We were able to both grow our mailing list and to answer questions about the SKWC. There are certain assigned rights in the venue that must be navigated and we had an extraordinarily patient and persistent person who got the club to that outcome. We also “recruited” both SKWC members and pinpool participants at the wrestling tailgate in the Scarlet Lot.

Updated with the news that Martin is no longer with SKWC. Also removed Nestor Taffur from NYCRTC, as he doesn't seem to be there anymore, but correct me if I'm wrong. Any replacement coming?

Last edited:
Updated with the news that Martin is no longer with SKWC. Also removed Nestor Taffur from NYCRTC, as he doesn't seem to be there anymore, but correct me if I'm wrong. Any replacement coming?
NYCRTC & SKWC practice today at the APC. I hope SKWC picks up Nestor Taffur.

Reactions: Leonard23
That's not good news. Wonder when the real story about Anthony's leaving comes out. He replaced Leonardis and Leo leaves the SKWC after a few months. Word was that Ashnault and Martin loved being coached by Buxton. They are both gone and AA leaves for Hoboken and the NYCRTC. Need to get Mullen to change our future outlook and generate positive PR.

That's not good news. Wonder when the real story about Anthony's leaving comes out. He replaced Leonardis and Leo leaves the SKWC after a few months. Word was that Ashnault and Martin loved being coached by Buxton. They are both gone and AA leaves for Hoboken and the NYCRTC. Need to get Mullen to change our future outlook and generate positive PR.
There is def a concern, but at the same time, maybe he just wanted to get fresh ideas and new partners?

When did Leo leave? And where did he go?

You're right, there is no way to spin all that positively. Saying Ashnault left for a new scenery makes it sound like he wanted flower pots in the corners of the wrestling room. What has happened is Anthony left because the Rutgers program and RTC cannot provide the training needed to be competitive at the high levels.

I didn't know that Leo left; it's another example of the secrecy around information flow. When I ask questions, I'm essentially told I don't have a right to know. And there's one genius that thinks I want to steal all Rutgers coaching secrets to help Penn State. Think about that for a moment.

So now the coaching staff is down the most talented addition since Donnie. Martin left after how long? How often was he actually there? Is Buxton still there? Is our annual WTF? moment going to come even earlier this year?

Watch, here come the cheerboys.

You're right, there is no way to spin all that positively. Saying Ashnault left for a new scenery makes it sound like he wanted flower pots in the corners of the wrestling room. What has happened is Anthony left because the Rutgers program and RTC cannot provide the training needed to be competitive at the high levels.

I didn't know that Leo left; it's another example of the secrecy around information flow. When I ask questions, I'm essentially told I don't have a right to know. And there's one genius that thinks I want to steal all Rutgers coaching secrets to help Penn State. Think about that for a moment.

So now the coaching staff is down the most talented addition since Donnie. Martin left after how long? How often was he actually there? Is Buxton still there? Is our annual WTF? moment going to come even earlier this year?

Watch, here come the cheerboys.
I think you offer a lot to the message board. Who's cares whether you like Penn state or Rutgers. As a former Scarlet Knight Wrestler, I can comfortably say that... we aint doing it. We are not keeping talent home, we are not keeping steady training partners and resident athletes. It also has to do with the University vibe. Penn State for example want to be winners. Regardless of The Times and where our country has gone, there's still a sense of camaraderie, toughness, and tradition at Penn State. At Rutgers, we go for whatever sport is hot for 1 or 2 years. If Penn state has down years in let's say theIr football or wrestling they find a way to make it number one again. We do good for a couple years, get complacent, and when we do falter we all scratch our heads, look at each other, point fingers instead of being proactive... It's Leo's fault, it's goodys fault, it's bad recruiting, it's this one's fault it's that one's fault. When Sunderland was faltering at head coach he got kicked to the curb, regardless of his legacy.…….period, end of sentence.

Last edited:
We can’t do the things Penn State does. They have history, championships, individual champions, money, and a big name brand. We’re not there yet. We can’t do the same things right now. As much as we all want that to change it’s going to require some patience. If you have some realistic suggestions on how to expedite the process I’ll listen.

To answer why AA left, all I can tell you what he told me and then interpret what was not said. He said he left to devote all his energy to competing at the highest level which he could not do while coaching. I believe if he stayed here he might be drawn into coaching our kids taking him away from his goal. My interpretation of what he said. Regarding Martin I think he is in Florida away from wrestling? Leo is not working I believe.

Ashnault being the face of the program and leaving is not a good look, I wonder what was done to keep him here. Doubt that Goodale was caught by surprise by Ashnault's decision. Seems that the head coach should have been aware of what was on Anthony's mind and worked to keep him here.

The best news in the last year has been the hiring of Buxton. He is Rivera's coach and Sebastian just won major tournaments in Italy and Spain. He is now ranked 6th in the World by the UWW. Probably too high - but for a kid who has limited freestyle experience, he has done a helluva job.

Hoping we can turn the negative momentum around. A prominent new coach and a big time recruit will really change the outlook for the future.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
To answer why AA left, all I can tell you what he told me and then interpret what was not said. He said he left to devote all his energy to competing at the highest level which he could not do while coaching. I believe if he stayed here he might be drawn into coaching our kids taking him away from his goal. My interpretation of what he said. Regarding Martin I think he is in Florida away from wrestling? Leo is not working I believe.
Bill: It is perfectly understandable that Anthony would leave to improve his chances of competing. Personally, I think he risks injury, but that is his risk to take. He cannot get the training he needs at Rutgers. Regardless of all that, it leaves a hole that has to be filled and cannot be considered anything other than bad for the program. Maybe good for Anthony, but not Rutgers.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT