ADVERTISEMENT

RU #11 NET, #4 seed B1G

ScarletDave

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Oct 7, 2010
After the Illinois win, we have moved up to #11 in the NET. By those metrics only that’s a 3 seed in the NCAAs, wow. However it’s yet to be seen how the NCAA will treat teams with less games in terms of seeding, and of course there’s lots of basketball to be played. Still, it’s a great achievement and a huge talking point to see Cviv’s squad on the fringe of the top-10, we’re back!

In B1G land, we are tied for winning percentage with Northwestern for 5th (10-5 NW, 6-3 RU, .667 for both) .. but we have the head-to-head. That’s huge because 3rd place OSU is ineligible, giving us the 4 seed in the B1G tourney and the coveted double-bye.

Unfortunately we are not getting respect from Charlie Creme and his Bracketology. The last I looked, he has us as a 10 seed.

I will say our resume doesn't seem to support a #11 NET. Our best win is at Northwestern, and while none of our losses are "bad," the 8 missed games robbed the team of a chance to show how they truly stack up against the rest of the B10. If they play well the last three games and make a run in B10 tourney, they could improved their seeding. But it's tough because there is not a huge body of work to evaluate.

Reactions: LtCol144
I will say our resume doesn't seem to support a #11 NET. Our best win is at Northwestern, and while none of our losses are "bad," the 8 missed games robbed the team of a chance to show how they truly stack up against the rest of the B10. If they play well the last three games and make a run in B10 tourney, they could improved their seeding. But it's tough because there is not a huge body of work to evaluate.
While I think Charlie Creme is going to struggle with the conversion to the NET, I agree with you. The figures I have seen would suggest some really odd numbers mixed with what you expect. I think part of the problem this year is not just the number of games but the number of "out of conference" games. For example, Arizona where I am now played only 2 OOC, and Rutgers played 4; a couple teams played none believe it or not and some, like Arkansas, played about the normal allotment.

As some have said, it is difficult to get a handle on the PAC, for example, because they played very few games out-of-conference, and absolutely no one of note, since no one from East of the Rockies headed west at all.

So I suspect this has impacted Rutgers, as well, especially since our OOC competition was not particularly notable.

What the committee will do is "tough" to borrow your phrase.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT